New Topic Respond to this Topic
RiffReiff
RiffReiff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
After Effects or Premiere Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 03:14 PM Reply

I'm new to animation and I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing so I'll be descriptive.
I'm working on developing a storyboard and I've drawn up all my frames in Photoshop CS4 (on a Mac) but now I need to edit them into one moving storyboard(/film?). However, I'm not sure which program to buy I've heard good things about After Effects and Premiere as well as some other non-Adobe programs like Final Cut and Toonboom(although I'm not sure those last two would work with Photoshop). Which should I get? I want to make sure that the program's going to provide what I need before investing my money in it.

nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to After Effects or Premiere Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 03:25 PM Reply

I'd say Final Cut or Premiere since you're just trying to time out storyboards with images. After Effects isn't a good editing software. You can use After Effects but it would make more sense to get Final Cut or Premiere since they're made to do that.

All 4 could work, just matters on which one you'd prefer, but since you're new to all 4 of them, it doesn't really matter which one you pick.

You might need to learn Toonboom or After Effects anyways if you want to get into animation so maybe try one of those?

SirAlex
SirAlex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to After Effects or Premiere Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

At 6/27/12 03:14 PM, RiffReiff wrote: I'm new to animation and I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing so I'll be descriptive.
I'm working on developing a storyboard and I've drawn up all my frames in Photoshop CS4 (on a Mac) but now I need to edit them into one moving storyboard(/film?). However, I'm not sure which program to buy

well mostly adobe Flash is used here for animations and games. You could re-draw them and animate them in flash and use Photoshop for backgrounds.

RiffReiff
RiffReiff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to After Effects or Premiere Jul. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:59 PM Reply

Thanks a lot! I'll look into those!

GamerRob1
GamerRob1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to After Effects or Premiere Jul. 10th, 2012 @ 03:24 PM Reply

Yeah After Effects is more for visual effects in film. Its not designed for editing a film or a storyboard.

My Email: MerrittRob1@gmail.com

BBS Signature