New Topic Respond to this Topic
Absinthe
Absinthe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

At 11/9/12 02:10 PM, sweet21 wrote: Did more pose practice, mainly with the lazy guy pose.... Is it okay if I get this stuck in your head?

You're not getting any better, please try out posemaniacs and do the full minute pose to pose exercise.

3DS FC: 4442-0200-7535
So yeah follow this neat little do-dad to get a free trip to my Art Thread. I also endorse Retsupurae on my own volition

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 11/9/12 09:09 PM, Absinthe wrote:
At 11/9/12 02:10 PM, sweet21 wrote: Did more pose practice, mainly with the lazy guy pose.... Is it okay if I get this stuck in your head?
You're not getting any better, please try out posemaniacs and do the full minute pose to pose exercise.

Yeah okay. But in my defense I drew those three pictures in the same day.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Nov. 17th, 2012 @ 01:15 PM Reply

At 11/9/12 02:05 PM, sweet21 wrote: However, I can say on a brighter note that I got a job, monies finally coming in. I got a list of essentials before I spend frivolously.

Aaaaand I dont got it. I didnt do that great in the orientation so they handed the job to someone else. And by not that great I mean nobody ever called me for it.
The told me I had the job in the bag, all they had to do was call me for an orientation, which they never did. So I called them back to see what was going on, they handed the job to someone else.

Back to square one I suppose. I've been studying music theory, and Japanese more recently. I've also been practicing that pose thing lufee up there posted about. Eeeugh nothing I particularly want to post, after all it is all just 30 pose practice smashfest herp a derp. Still, I am seeing an improvment and im happy for that...

Um, this was more of a "how im doing" update, I guess so this isn't a waste of time or petty bump i'll post something later.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Dec. 8th, 2012 @ 01:02 PM Reply

So uh, yeah I was practicing faces for just a little bit. The way I make the face the characters dont have a forehead or their sideburns' touch awkwardly close to their eyes. So I tried practicing abit with that.

I even played around with exaggerating them abit.

Next on my list of dumb things that arent really dumb but i DO need, a scanner or something. I have to blow these images up so much because if I go any closer with the camera everything goes white. Stupid flash. Also, if flash turns off everything gets blurry. Dont ask why, I dont have an answer.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
VulpesHilarianus
VulpesHilarianus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Dec. 9th, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

Nice, nice. You do good work on facial proportions for the most part. But try to work more on the bodies. Most pictures people ask for ask for dynamic bodies, and no matter how much detail you put into the face, it's going to look like crap with a stickfigure-esque body attached to it. Try something simple, like a baseball player coming up to bat, or a girl with her foot on top of a soccer ball. Just keep going, you're doing good.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Dec. 10th, 2012 @ 01:33 PM Reply

At 12/9/12 05:19 PM, VulpesHilarianus wrote: Nice, nice. You do good work on facial proportions for the most part. But try to work more on the bodies. Most pictures people ask for ask for dynamic bodies, and no matter how much detail you put into the face, it's going to look like crap with a stickfigure-esque body attached to it. Try something simple, like a baseball player coming up to bat, or a girl with her foot on top of a soccer ball. Just keep going, you're doing good.

Ugh you dont have to tell me twice. Bodies are probably my weakest link. I have trouble figuring out what to do with their arms and shoulders, and most art I see doesnt pay much attention to the lower legs. So I have no idea how to really attach the legs to the groin, and dont get me started on their shoulders, let alone their hands in a neutral stance. Looks like crab claws to me.

I dunno, I just gotta keep practicing. I've been using balls and basic shapes, its helped. I've made some dynamic poses, mostly spiderman references.

ANYWAY, I was dicking around with creature stuff earlier. Felt like adding an unfunny joke.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Dec. 11th, 2012 @ 11:58 PM Reply

Power went out so I studied some notes I ttok and read an art book my friend loaned me for abit. Most were practice doodles I threw away shortly there after, however I particularly liked this one for whatever reason. I messed about with a robot and a leaning pose using starhawks title screen as reference.
Again using balls and such to build the image.

Something inexplicable happened with the right leg though but im not sure what. It looks unnatural. He looks less like he's leaning and more like he's trying to balance on one leg.
I thought maybe if I made it look like he was leaning on something....nope.

Oh well.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
hostileburritos
hostileburritos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 03:05 AM Reply

What tablet do you use?

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Dec. 12th, 2012 @ 11:36 AM Reply

At 12/12/12 03:05 AM, hostileburritos wrote: What tablet do you use?

Tablet as in drawing tablet?
Wacom CTE-440.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
VulpesHilarianus
VulpesHilarianus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Dec. 14th, 2012 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 12/12/12 11:36 AM, sweet21 wrote:
At 12/12/12 03:05 AM, hostileburritos wrote: What tablet do you use?
Tablet as in drawing tablet?
Wacom CTE-440.

Well, yours is better than mine, even if it's older. I have the simple base Bamboo Splash. Still, it's easier than using my scanner and then doing linework and colouring everything with my mouse. As a tip, I suggest using old toys like G.I. Joes and Barbies for finding poses. If you think I'm joking... Well I'm not. It really works. As for drawing hands, what I do is take a small mirror and look at my hand, memorize it, then draw it. Eventually you'll pretty much know how things look if you just keep doing it over and over again.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:25 AM Reply

Umm. I've been learning how to play piano. You know, I've had a little schtick with my art for some time, thought I wasnt 'good enough' and stepping away has helped me quite abit. After stepping back and observing it as a whole its actually...not that bad. Im kinda satisfied with it.
Not bad, not great, but not bad. ANYWAY, any of you guys play Journey? That game is rad.

I practiced abit with foreshortening (I believe is the word) with the kid on the left. Then I drew a dog on the right. I practiced a pose and drew a fat guy for no discernible reason. Also Journey 'fan art' on top, not evidence that im going insane.
Now if you dont mind the voices in my head are telling me to burn things.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 10th, 2013 @ 11:49 PM Reply

Hey. I finally got a new sketch book. Still dont have a scanner. Say how much are scanners? Eh, i'll google it.

Here is PROBABLY another hard to see, poorly made piture. It looks more bold and detailed in the program I edit it in, but it never looks any good when I upload it.

So uh. Meh.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
bilznatch
bilznatch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 02:28 AM Reply

At 11/9/12 09:09 PM, Absinthe wrote:

This^
You have to work on poses and anatomy, then move to shading, coloring, and detail.
If you can't get the right shape and proportions, then you probably shouldn't be doing anything else.
As for your ADD type habit of jumping from thing to thing:
You can't do this for art, you have to commit to getting better or you never will. I imagine that nearly month long period you were gone you didn't accomplish much in the way of practice, and thus, you didn't get any better. Plan on spending time on practicing and studying the things you need to improve on, otherwise you just won't improve, this applies to piano, programming, art, japanese, anything that takes a reasonable amount of time.
However, I'm not an artist, I just browse this forum a lot.

On the topic of Japanese though, I am more experienced in that field. Here's a few things if you plan to continue studies in the language or the culture:
- ã'ªã'¿ã'¯ã¯ã<ã£ã"ã'^ããªã"ãEU'
- if you can't read that, you're already behind in your study, as hiragana and katakana should be learned immediately, as reading in the basic alphabets is more than required.
- don't learn the language expecting to move to japan, or to watch anime, or get in on "otaku" culture. In japan, otakus AREN'T cool. they're the opposite. That said, watching anime and playing games a bit isn't a bad thing, just don't be an otaku. don't expect moving there, because you need a job there to stay, and you have to stay for usually over 10 years to get citizenship.
- Take formal lessons, or find some constant way to make you study. This is really important, as with art, if you don't practice you won't ever get any better, trust me on this one. I've been in classes for 3 years and i still have a rough time with the basics of the language, and that's only in the formal style you'd be expected to use on the job in japan, let's not get started with the informal style of japanese.
- Don't take Japanese from anime. A lot of shounen anime and shoujo anime use either kid phrases, harsh terms, uncommon sentence structures, or much too informal japanese. Basically, it's a shithole, only good for people who already know a bit of japanese to learn a few key words like âEUä¸-ç*OEâEU or some other common word that just might not come up in a class or independent study.
- Learn kanji. As many and as quickly as you can. Learn 5-10 per day if you can. Kanji are the gateway to the japanese written language, by reading as few as 10 kanji in a 20 kanji sentence you could get the context. Basically, it enables you to skim read what you might otherwise have to guess at or not know how to read at all.

This post was going to be longer but I accidently clicked off the page. Sorry if I rambled, but Japanese and art are both hard and require dedication, and it seems like you need a kick in the right direction, basically you need to work harder to get better or learn how to do either properly, and in a lot of ways they share similarities in difficulty, especially if you learn wrong the first time.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 10:35 AM Reply

At 1/11/13 02:28 AM, bilznatch wrote:

The site doesnt show characters from other languages, so I couldn't read that. As for Japanese im not trying to be an Otaku or move to Japan. It would be nice to visit, but I think it could lead to something better. You know, being able to translate and whatnot. And I dread Kanji. How someone can base writing off that is beyond me. Isn't there one symbol for every word or something?

And its not much of an ADD habit, I just always liked both. I hold music and art to almost equal levels of importance. A piece cant shine without good music to accompany it. I've had ideas, but without a way to translate them, they have always been ideas. So I decided to actually learn to play an instrument, so maybe my ideas wont stay ideas, but become something more.
As far as art I can do it abit more now, hopefully.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 02:59 PM Reply

Hey, wanna learn Japanese together? I'm sure it will be a lot better if we can learn as a group to get the language down much faster. I wanna learn Japanese simply to be able to potentially start making comics in Japanese and expand my audience beyond the United States one day.

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
KiwiSundae
KiwiSundae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 03:00 PM, Amaranthus wrote:
Dude, how is that relevant to somebody's art thread?
Ever heard of the pm system? Yeah, well use it.

Yeah, sorry. Just thought I would bring up the idea. Everyone's cool with that, right?

The time for making a webcomic is now..Introducing...

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 03:56 PM Reply

Ooh that sounds nice. Especially considering im left handed.

Color doesnt seem to be reacting well with the pictures im taking. You can barely make out most of the features of the guy on the bottom left (Which im kind of proud of). Enjoy his shiny eyebrows.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
VulpesHilarianus
VulpesHilarianus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 04:06 AM Reply

Your art was getting better there for a while, Sweet, but now you're not improving at all. My suggestion is taking StickyNotes wherever you go, and keeping a pen in your pocket at all times. Doesn't matter if you can't erase it, just get the rough idea out. Set aside maybe thirty minutes a day to play your instrument and editing. Then divide your time between whatever else. What you really need is to find a balance between your music and your drawings. As it is, I play/record guitar tracks, draw three comics and a handful of random commissions, write two books, tutor people, and attend college all in one day. That's not bad for a ditz, and that means you can do even better than I can with my full schedule. Just try to find whatever you struggle with the most, be it school or art or music, and set the most time aside for it. When I was your age I was drawing on my hands and arms when I ran out of paper because I was in school. After school was filled with all kinds of stuff, and yet I figured out how to manage time, even though I never mastered it. JUST TRY TO PLAN AHEAD. And keep practicing! For starters, watch the old "Justice League" cartoon from the 90s to get a few references, watch some martial arts movies to find dynamic poses, and DRAW DRAW DRAW!! You've got a lot of potential, and I don't want to see another artist discouraged and quit!

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:46 PM Reply

Keeping your words in mind Vulpes.
Anyway, here's afew megaman drawings. I tried drawing in other poses. The sliiiiiiiiide....And a jump.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
VulpesHilarianus
VulpesHilarianus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:15 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:46 PM, sweet21 wrote: Keeping your words in mind Vulpes.
Anyway, here's afew megaman drawings. I tried drawing in other poses. The sliiiiiiiiide....And a jump.

Dat Shading on Dr. Light's face. Even with the saturation low because of the scanner, I can see a lot of work put into that shading. That's something not a lot of people are good at, and what just did is a good example of simple shading. Keep that up, and you'll be making comics in no time!

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:59 PM Reply

I tried one of those fancy perspective globes. The small one on the left lacked a proper vanishing point, so I tried again with the larger one. How is it?

Also I drew a bug.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:21 PM Reply

It came in the mail today. My smudge guard.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 05:25 PM Reply

I tried practicing with multiple light sources on the bottom. I dont really know how it would work...

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 05:38 PM Reply

I drew that monk on the right but as a merchant. On a side note, my first college essay, oh noooooo. 8 pages.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:56 PM Reply

Hey. I got two for you this time. I did a couple of practice pages prior. I don't like the ways the eyes i've been drawing recently looked. I made a practice page but there are too many faces and eyes, and they are all too small so it would be impractical to upload it. Here are the fruits of my labor however.
Im liking these new eyes.

I also practiced abit of foreshortening.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:59 PM Reply

After my little issue with foreshortening I practiced abit more with it, this time with more basic shapes, and a tutorial video :\

The page felt kinda empty though so I drew Jon and Arin. You know, "hey im grump!"

*nudge nudge*

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
VulpesHilarianus
VulpesHilarianus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 02:25 PM Reply

Niiiiiiice. Definitely seeing some improvement here. As a little more advice, when you draw a character from multiple perspectives, try using a wire skeleton. Essentially just draw a stickman with no head yet, then add circles where the joints would be. Afterwards, use ovals to get the basic muscle structure, and then for really cut, bulgin', burly dudes layer over the ovals with sharper angles that extend out slightly more. Just stare at your forearm every few seconds to get the basic shape while you sketch it. The smae thing applies to the calves, but just indent for the back of the knee. Keep going man, I wanna see a full-fledged five page comic from you!

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:36 PM Reply

More foreshortening on a different scale. This time im trying people, and a cat.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Sockembop
Sockembop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:44 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 05:21 PM, sweet21 wrote: It came in the mail today. My smudge guard.

It's like your pinkie is a little ninja.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to My sweet ass art dump. Feb. 4th, 2013 @ 10:10 PM Reply

About to be knocked off first page?! NOT ON MY WATCH.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature