00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Rage11603 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My sweet ass art dump.

19,568 Views | 140 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-26 23:44:09

Stupid "pun" aside I have decided I may as well start dumping all of my assorted doodles in hopes of constructive criticism and advice and whatnot.
I may or may not update often seeing as I always throw away my doodle sheets, only keeping ones I like.

First: Here is something I made for the user BrokenPaw. I was abit proud of this but I felt I could do better. Mainly in the eyes and fur. It was my first tablet drawing that wasn't a complete disaster.

I kinda need help on the rage face. Doesn't nearly look angry enough. Needs moar RAGE! But I couldn't figure it out.

I use paint tool sai.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-27 01:19:36

At 6/26/12 11:44 PM, sweet21 wrote: I felt I could do better. Mainly in the eyes and fur.

then fix the eyes and fur, post moar! stop hating on your own work when you post it , it'll make us hate it too
its not bad there's definately expression.

what program are you doing these in?

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-27 02:25:09

At 6/27/12 01:19 AM, jagondudo wrote: then fix the eyes and fur, post moar! stop hating on your own work when you post it , it'll make us hate it too

I don't hate my own work :(

what program are you doing these in?

Paint tool sai.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-27 04:25:14

Some fanart of Peacock from Skullgirls! I used the picture from my [current] profile avatar as reference.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-27 04:46:05

Hey! Cool stuff keep drawing. I think you are doing a fine job so far and with practice just like any other artist in the world can and will become much better!

My suggestion is doing studies. A study is where you take a particular object or area of art and draw that and that only very intensely. Just pick something like. Texture,Shading,Figure,Form,Gestures etc etc etc. Or you can be specific and do studies on lions,tigers,roads,gravel,sand,etc etc etc. These studies will help you develop the techniques and understandings of how things should and will be portrayed on paper.

Doing realism is helpful even if your a cartoonist. Simply because people associate there views on your work based off things they see on a regular basis. So if someone see's people on a regular basis you need to implement familiar features from people into your work (if they are meant to resemble people) that way they can appreciate it better and further understand your artistic abilities. Same can be applied with just about anything.

When it comes to understanding fur or eyes. Sit down one day or maybe for 2 weeks do nothing but drawing fur and eyes. Do HIGHLY detailed drawings to not so detailed drawings. Then keep repeating the process until you are satisfied. This is how artists learn this is how we develop.

Keep practicing it takes time.

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-28 22:04:13

Question! Am I the only artist that gets inspired to draw listening to music? For whatever reason when I listen to music I feel like drawing something befitting the mood of that track. I drew these listening to Pico radio earlier today. Something about music makes me want to draw.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-28 22:27:54

Heres a practice doodle, I looked up a tutorial on coloring. Yes. Coloring. So here's my attempt at following advice! Complete with multiple layers! And transparent bullcrappery! I also fiddled with the textures.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-29 02:26:41

Lined paper tells me that someone didn't care enough about a drawing to find suitable materials. I recommend picking up a sketchbook and carrying it with you everywhere- it's a great way to make sure you have good quality paper around whenever the desire to draw strikes you.

You can take class notes on unlined paper, but you can't make good drawings on lined paper.

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-06-29 02:41:00

At 6/29/12 02:26 AM, lovingthedark wrote: You can take class notes on unlined paper, but you can't make good drawings on lined paper.

I manage :(
Well I do have a bunch of printer paper, but the printer/scanner broke so now it just lays around. Well, time to salvage!

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-06 14:59:14

At 6/29/12 02:26 AM, lovingthedark wrote: You can take class notes on unlined paper, but you can't make good drawings on lined paper.

Sorry mr. guy, I tried looking for that stack of clear, white paper but I have no idea where it went :(

I tried buying some. $7 for a stack :|
I recently got a $20 so I guess I will go get it now! In the meantime, here is something I drew earlier. I was practicing the female figure after watching Jazza's art tutorials.
Again, sorry for the photographs.
I am however satisfied with how well I did considering this is my first time drawing them in this way. I always shied away from drawing women but jazza is right, you will never get better at something if you just shy away from doing it.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-06 18:37:51

At 6/26/12 11:44 PM, sweet21 wrote: I use paint tool sai.

What I'm noticing in your art is the lack of variation in your line weight. Imo it really brings your artwork down. Since you have a tablet and SAI, I figured I'd show you something real quick to help you with that. Or, at least, what I think the problem is...

Make sure the Minimum Size for the brush is at 0% so you can get the most out of the pressure you're putting on the tablet. Sometimes I change this (especially with my eraser) to have more control, but you can always mess with that.

The click the + next to Advanced Settings to show some extra settings. You can mess with everything there too, but what you're looking for is the Press at the bottom. The Dens(ity), Size, and Blend will change with how much pressure you put on the tablet. Check Size, and start drawing :P

Oh, and on your latest drawing, the girl in the bottom right has two left hands. ;P

My sweet ass art dump.

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-06 18:47:12

At 7/6/12 06:37 PM, Kashi wrote: Oh, and on your latest drawing, the girl in the bottom right has two left hands. ;P

Thanks for the advice! As for hands? My arch nemesis!

At 7/6/12 05:08 PM, GinkoLaw wrote: so are they twelve? Their heads are huge!

Noted. Should work on proportions.....

Also I got that sketchpad, some colored pencils and a sharpener! All three of which I didn't own! YAY!

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-08 16:08:21

My attempt at drawing Billy Sykes.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-08 16:12:54

At 7/8/12 04:08 PM, sweet21 wrote: My attempt at drawing Billy Sykes.

Question, how would I color 5 O' clock shadow? I honestly had no idea, I just went over my pencil marks with brown. That didn't blend well with the skin, so I mixed them, ergo the "fuzz" your seeing around the chin.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-08 16:21:52

At 7/8/12 04:08 PM, sweet21 wrote: My attempt at drawing Billy Sykes.

Anatomy-wise, there's a system of proportions most artists learn before being able to depict the human body realistically that you might find useful. For example (assuming someone is standing up straight and facing forwar d, arms down), the human body is approximately 7.5 heads tall (although many people choose to draw them 8 heads), and the wrists and the bottom of the groin are approximately halfway up the body. Knees are a quarter of the way up. For faces, the eyes are halfway down the head. The nose ends halfway between the eyes and the chin. Split the area between the nose and chin into three. I'd put the lips on both sides of a third of the way down, and the narrowing of the chin on the other third.
The face should be five eyes across, with an eye's width of space fitting between the two actual eyes. Assuming the mouth is relaxed and not smiling or frowning, the corners of the lips should line up with center of the eyes.

Keep in mind different artists use slightly different systems, and that human bodies vary a little bit.

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-09 00:08:08

At 7/8/12 04:21 PM, lovingthedark wrote: Keep in mind different artists use slightly different systems, and that human bodies vary a little bit.

Hm. I remember the head from art class, and I remember abit of the body, but thanks for the refresher. I knew I was missing something when it came to figuring out body length.
Another whack at heads:

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-09 01:01:29

Barky bark woofy meow, kawaii desu.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-16 16:57:33

Hey guys. So I just read hnilmik's post on a little something called "the 100 hands challenge," and I took to mind PMMurphies post about doing 'studies' so I thought why the hell not? Here's my attempt at the 100 hand challenge! I will use this thread to track my progress, Here are my first few sketches using my own hands as reference.

Because this is practice im not using my sketchpad. I plan to save that for serious drawings.

I will post the last couple of hands for this challenge, and any other hands I may feel rather proud of.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-17 03:47:18

I figured something out about thumbs.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-18 19:28:39

Half way point of the challenge! I learned some new things but I made this cute little comic strip from earlier but finished. I was reminded of the prison scene from Uncharted 2.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-20 02:41:19

Give those guys an extra finger, plus...here's a cheat for you my dear friend. 8 head heights and a ruler.

I'm here to help...while sorta sounding like a dick...I'm sorry.

My sweet ass art dump.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-20 21:01:49

At 7/20/12 02:41 AM, monndoggy wrote:
while sorta sounding like a dick

When did that happen?

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-23 01:59:52

I finished the 100 hand challenge. I left off around 60-ish and decided to tackle the remaining 40 in one sitting. I didn't count any derpy hands so I did draw more that 100. Meh.
Well I learned some new things....but im burned out at the moment...

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-23 10:00:34

At 7/23/12 01:59 AM, sweet21 wrote: I finished the 100 hand challenge. I left off around 60-ish and decided to tackle the remaining 40 in one sitting. I didn't count any derpy hands so I did draw more that 100. Meh.

You know what the best way to cure being bummed out is? Submitting pictures of all the hands you did :3

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-23 19:10:08

At 7/23/12 10:00 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 7/23/12 01:59 AM, sweet21 wrote: I finished the 100 hand challenge. I left off around 60-ish and decided to tackle the remaining 40 in one sitting. I didn't count any derpy hands so I did draw more that 100. Meh.
You know what the best way to cure being bummed out is? Submitting pictures of all the hands you did :3

*thinks heavily* Hmmm....okay.
Remember I didn't count derpy hands, any hands I consider derpy are crossed out. There are 16 pages but i'll just show afew. Maybe three more.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-23 19:11:49

Meow

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-23 19:13:57

I learned quite abit, the main problems I have is fingers "fanning." (the two crossed out ones in the above post) Something just gets lost in translation there....I dunno. Any help on that?
More gesture practice and such.

My sweet ass art dump.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-24 00:28:06

Your hands seem to be lacking structure, here try breaking them up into equal rectangles and see if you get a better result. References are good, but the goal is to be able to clearly see the final product from your mind.

My sweet ass art dump.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-24 23:54:09

I am pilot of this thread until further notice! Go there to see some doodles I made at the whim of others!
Don't get any ideas, i'll come back here once im satisfied however....if you can kindly make requests HERE I will gladly draw them in my own art dump if you so please.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to My sweet ass art dump. 2012-07-26 04:23:01

At 7/24/12 11:54 PM, sweet21 wrote: I am pilot of this thread until further notice! Go there to see some doodles I made at the whim of others!
Don't get any ideas, i'll come back here once im satisfied however....if you can kindly make requests HERE I will gladly draw them in my own art dump if you so please.

Well im back...ummm....So yeah if you tell me to draw something I will do it....or something. I don't want to make a separate thread for requests, but I need something to do when im bored and requests are actually kinda fun.
incredibly relevant.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature