New Topic Respond to this Topic
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 06:00 PM Reply

I mainly use FL studio... it's been my bread and butter since 2007... however, whenever I'm looking for better advise on how to become a better artist, I find myself observing many artist saying that "FL studio is okay... but you going to have to you 'X' program in order to become professional"

And to me... I'm really skeptical about it, because I'm used to believing that it depended majorly on the artist rather than the DAW, but at the same time... I know someone is going to have a much harder time producing quality work with garageband than they would with FL studio...

So... I guess I want advice about how "X" DAW is better/worse than FL studio, the pros/cons, and what they could contribute to me.

(I'm also a windows user, so MAC DAWs are kind of out of the question at the moment.)

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 6/26/12 06:00 PM, zelazon wrote: "FL studio is okay... but you going to have to you 'X' program in order to become professional"

This is bullshit. Switching from FL Studio probably won't make YOU any better as a musician, but there might be a program out there that suits you better than it, so just go try out the demos and see what works.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 06:15 PM Reply

This is bullshit. Switching from FL Studio probably won't make YOU any better as a musician, but there might be a program out there that suits you better than it, so just go try out the demos and see what works.

yea, I believe that too... is it just because they assume that the programs are better because they're more expensive?

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 06:23 PM Reply

At 6/26/12 06:00 PM, zelazon wrote: it depended majorly on the artist rather than the DAW

This. If you're used to FL Studio stick to it. There are some things that some DAWs do better than others, true. For instance, when it comes to live recording FL is lacking, and I haven't seen functional 64-bit support from FL Studio yet. Then again, FL has a very good piano roll and a great interface.

Still, it'd be a tall order to spend loads of money on another DAW when you're used to FL. Your music won't magically improve if you change DAWs, and I doubt you'll notice a significant change in your improvement rate if you use another DAW for a long time either. You may prefer one DAW over another but no DAW will ever make your music any better on its own.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 06:30 PM Reply

This. If you're used to FL Studio stick to it. There are some things that some DAWs do better than others, true. For instance, when it comes to live recording FL is lacking, and I haven't seen functional 64-bit support from FL Studio yet. Then again, FL has a very good piano roll and a great interface.

If it ever came to other people recording their voice/the like, that would be something I could work with as long as I'm not the one singing... I'll agree that FL studio is inept to handle such a task lol.

Still, it'd be a tall order to spend loads of money on another DAW when you're used to FL. Your music won't magically improve if you change DAWs, and I doubt you'll notice a significant change in your improvement rate if you use another DAW for a long time either. You may prefer one DAW over another but no DAW will ever make your music any better on its own.

This is my biggest concern... if these different DAW are suppose to make people "professional", then I'd want to see something amazing come out of my work, especially if I'm going to invest over 700 dollars on it. If all I'm going to be doing is the same work I'm doing now, then it would be a waste to me to try to "upgrade".

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 6/26/12 06:23 PM, Step wrote: I haven't seen functional 64-bit support from FL Studio yet.

Mmm, I've watched a Youtube movie once that showed all the new features of FL10 and one of those features was the support of 64-bit input. They even showed it by using a 64-bit Kontakt plug-in. Can't tell for sure, though, I don't use FL10.

Anyway, the fact that you can't be professional with FL is bullshit. Loads of popular producers nowadays use FL Studio (most of the time in combination with another DAW though, the only 'FL-only' artist I know is Afrojack). It also really depends on what you're used to. I've tried a demo of Ableton, I didn't understand any of it. I got Sonar when I purchased my MIDI keyboard, didn't understand that either. I stick to FL Studio and I probably always will.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 07:23 PM Reply

It's already been said, but to stress the point... Anyone that believes you can't make professional sounding tracks with FL Studio is full of shit.

It's just those people have an elitist attitude and figure they paid more for their DAW, therefore it is superior. I think a lot of people see how colorful the interface is in FL Studio and think, "It looks like a toy, that can't be used to make good music."

IIRC Deadmau5 actually uses FL Studio along with Ableton (And I think one more that I can't remember) to make some of his music.

Every DAW has pros and cons, and the biggest con, IMO, and quite a few other peoples about FL Studio is the terrible live recording. Just as a con for Reason is that you can't use external VSTs (Unless that's changed?).

If FL Studio works for you, keep using it, there's no harm in trying other DAWs, but don't let elitist douchebags tell you that you can't be professional unless you use X DAW.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 09:09 PM Reply

At 6/26/12 07:04 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Mmm, I've watched a Youtube movie once that showed all the new features of FL10 and one of those features was the support of 64-bit input. They even showed it by using a 64-bit Kontakt plug-in. Can't tell for sure, though, I don't use FL10.

Yeah I saw that video too but all the people I know (including me) who have tried using 64-bit VSTs in FL 10 have failed so until I actually see it work properly I will remain unconvinced.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 09:44 PM Reply

Yeah I saw that video too but all the people I know (including me) who have tried using 64-bit VSTs in FL 10 have failed so until I actually see it work properly I will remain unconvinced.

I'm sorry if I sound completely ignorant... but in what way do 64-bit VSTs differ from the normal VST plugins? (The only time I've tried in FL studio, received an error message, so I'm clueless on the whole thing)

midimachine
midimachine
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 6/26/12 09:44 PM, zelazon wrote: I'm sorry if I sound completely ignorant... but in what way do 64-bit VSTs differ from the normal VST plugins? (The only time I've tried in FL studio, received an error message, so I'm clueless on the whole thing)

I can only assume that 64-bit plugins can address more ram than their 32-bit counterparts - which would be useful for stuff like Kontakt and Prizm when you're loading hundreds upon hundreds of samples into memory at the same time.

I'm still running a 32-bit system BUT afaik there are a few things you have to enable to run 64-bit plugins properly

p.s. i am gay

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 10:18 PM Reply

mmmmm..... It's hard to say if you should upgrade or not. It's really what program suits you best. In my case as an example: Using FL is practically a death sentence since I record live instruments most the time so I use Adobe Audition because out of all the DAWs it's probably the best for this, since it specializes in cleaning up and mastering audio that comes from mics and other live sources. One of it's selling point besides recording songs is that you can play old vinyl's into it and then clean up all the pops and scratches. Also it's great for recording voices for projects. The down side to it is VST's are kind of just an after thought in it (you can put them in ofcourse), and it doesn't really have piano rolls and drum programers or whatever, because they kinda presume that you'll be running programs like Massive and Battery into so why clog up the space with inferior stuff.

Sorry I said more than expected... but point being you can see why it really varies per person. Definitely go download demos for different programs, if you want to upgrade. I'd recommend it, but it's up to you in the end.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 10:27 PM Reply

Eh. The only thing that changes is the new program has a different interface. Maybe new features. I think it's all up to what you are comfortable using.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 12:07 AM Reply

I can only assume that 64-bit plugins can address more ram than their 32-bit counterparts - which would be useful for stuff like Kontakt and Prizm when you're loading hundreds upon hundreds of samples into memory at the same time.

I'm still running a 32-bit system BUT afaik there are a few things you have to enable to run 64-bit plugins properly

Oh, icic, so you're not trying to kill your comp using many samples from the same synths (used to happen with a few synths I was using a few years ago)... I usually have diversity within my synths now, but back then, if 64-bit plugins worked, that would have greatly improved me by now.

But my initial thought with it is that I should be using 64 bit synths because my system is 64-bit (gaming stuff), I get confused when I see the 64-bit version and wonder why they don't work on my comp.

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 01:18 AM Reply

lol I can't believe you guys use FL , It's the WORST daw i have ever used because it lacks of transparent interfaces, chrome plate buttons, a hipster splash screen and useless visualizations to rape your cpu.

In conclusion :

FL Studio is for LOSERS ( the text is in bold because your brain will think it's IMPORTANT )

Dubturbo is what a real pro skater like me use

BRO

dawg

Fuck labels , you don't need them.

JSX1A
JSX1A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 6/26/12 06:00 PM, zelazon wrote: I mainly use FL studio... it's been my bread and butter since 2007... however, whenever I'm looking for better advise on how to become a better artist, I find myself observing many artist saying that "FL studio is okay... but you going to have to you 'X' program in order to become professional"

And to me... I'm really skeptical about it, because I'm used to believing that it depended majorly on the artist rather than the DAW, but at the same time... I know someone is going to have a much harder time producing quality work with garageband than they would with FL studio...

So... I guess I want advice about how "X" DAW is better/worse than FL studio, the pros/cons, and what they could contribute to me.

(I'm also a windows user, so MAC DAWs are kind of out of the question at the moment.)

Don't think about it too much. FL Studio is a damn fine tool.

Who gives a shit about what someone told you.

If in any case you're not happy with your results I would check a couple things:

//
Do you feel like you've got a good handle on FL Studio?

Are you happy with the music you've made with FL Studio?
//

If not it's entirely up to you to find out what suits you. Any information you need can be found in less than 30 seconds if you know how to look for it.

For starters:
Cubase
Reaper
Ableton Live
Pro Tools
Acid Pro (Rusko uses this one)
Nuendo
Sonar
Studio One ( this one came with my Interface, though the version I got had no VST support)

There are plenty more.

I'd recommend taking a fresh approach to FL Studio since it appears that you would have changed tools much sooner (5 years, yes?).

BBS Signature
Gario
Gario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 04:00 AM Reply

FL Studio has been recognized by plenty of artists to have all of the tools that you'll need to create professional music. If you're worried about what some artists have said about the program, forget about it - if that's been your bread and butter since 2007 then you shouldn't invest in a new DAW. You COULD invest in better VSTi's and plugins, though, if you're looking to make investments to improve your sound, though. Or you could invest into good monitors and/or great headphones. Another computer monitor would be an excellent investment, as it would expand your work environment considerably.

If you like FL Studio, then stick with it - there are far better places to invest one's money if you're looking to improve your music than a foreign DAW that you need to relearn in order to achieve virtually the same sound.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 04:00 AM Reply

I'm just asking about different DAW, and what they would offer me in terms of being "professional"... No one really told me that I should be using a different DAW.

Do you feel like you've got a good handle on FL Studio?

Mostly, still looking to improve in certain aspects, but I can hold my own.

It's all relatively to the time that I made the song, what I was trying to do with the song, and how other people appreciate my work (that's important to me as well). I find myself being happy with a song I made within that time frame, but then find myself wanting to make more stuff to listen to since I do get bored of my own work... So to make it short, something I made now I might be happy with, as comparative to last year or the year before (or even before that, but took the songs down from the site) in which I like very few of my songs I did back then.

I'd recommend taking a fresh approach to FL Studio since it appears that you would have changed tools much sooner (5 years, yes?).

Well, considering I've been making songs this long, and I've barely been noticed by the masses, I'm deciding to do genres that are more favorable towards the audiences... mostly dubstep/electro/house, and I've done the research on how to do the genres, and pretty much am preparing to go at the genres with full force. I guess you can consider that a fresh approach, but if I'm going to try to appeal to the masses with this genre, I want to know specifically what I could do with "X" DAW that I couldn't do with FL studio before? What kind of magic is there in this said DAW that makes it more elite then what I've been using thus far?

And so far... Unless I'm planning on recording live (which I'm not), then it's pretty useless for me to try to use a different DAW.

(Disclaimer: I know that people will make the argument about "You should do whatever you like", but honestly, even as I get better, and people notice it, people just don't care. I know if I do the types of songs that I like to do, it's not going to make me any more popular then I am now (which isn't very popular at all lol), and so maybe once I get people to start taking me more serious can I sway the masses to enjoy the type of work I do normally.)

Fleshbag
Fleshbag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 06:37 AM Reply

The only bad thing about Fruity loops is it's gay name :)

JSX1A
JSX1A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 28th, 2012 @ 06:11 AM Reply

At 6/27/12 04:00 AM, zelazon wrote:
I'm just asking about different DAW, and what they would offer me in terms of being "professional"... No one really told me that I should be using a different DAW.

Then for curiosity's sake: go try some demos and see how the glove fits. :)

It's all relatively to the time that I made the song, what I was trying to do with the song, and how other people appreciate my work (that's important to me as well). I find myself being happy with a song I made within that time frame, but then find myself wanting to make more stuff to listen to since I do get bored of my own work... So to make it short, something I made now I might be happy with, as comparative to last year or the year before (or even before that, but took the songs down from the site) in which I like very few of my songs I did back then.

Then I don't think the problem is the DAW. Plain and simple.

Well, considering I've been making songs this long, and I've barely been noticed by the masses, I'm deciding to do genres that are more favorable towards the audiences... mostly dubstep/electro/house, and I've done the research on how to do the genres, and pretty much am preparing to go at the genres with full force. I guess you can consider that a fresh approach, but if I'm going to try to appeal to the masses with this genre, I want to know specifically what I could do with "X" DAW that I couldn't do with FL studio before? What kind of magic is there in this said DAW that makes it more elite then what I've been using thus far?

Well considering this isn't a specific response, there's no specific answer I can give you. There are people from all edges of the world that will use different DAWs for the same genre.

Find something *you* want to do using something *you* want to use.

Again, it's all on how the glove fits.

Disclaimer...

So you're basically expecting people to like you for doing what they like - then become so popular they'll like you for whatever you do. That just doesn't happen, statistically speaking.

Given your current state of affairs, all you've got is what you enjoy doing. If you don't enjoy it, find some other approach or something else altogether.

I'm not going for the A-Hole approach. It sounds like you're seriously asking for help.

And I'm seriously saying it's up to you on what you make of it.

BBS Signature
zelazon
zelazon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 30th, 2012 @ 03:02 PM Reply

Then I don't think the problem is the DAW. Plain and simple.

Uhh... what's being implied here?

Well considering this isn't a specific response, there's no specific answer I can give you. There are people from all edges of the world that will use different DAWs for the same genre.

True... but for me, I wanted to see how other artist could "persuade" me into a new DAW that might be better... but overall, I'm getting the opinion that I'm on the right track, something I wanted to hear.

So you're basically expecting people to like you for doing what they like - then become so popular they'll like you for whatever you do. That just doesn't happen, statistically speaking.

Given your current state of affairs, all you've got is what you enjoy doing. If you don't enjoy it, find some other approach or something else altogether.

This is something I've ALWAYS done, which was make song that I'm generally interested in and stuff that OTHERS would be interested in.

And if your trying to be a prominent artist (especially at this site), keep this in mind:

Let's use a comparison... If you were to make a original song or a song based upon a pop/video game/dubstep remix, it's more likely that people are going to listen to that remix then they are of your original song. The reason why is because they have an idea of what to expect and want to see your interpretation of that song. If it's good, then you'll a little more fans then you did before.

Now, you could argue that "well, that's fine and all, but originality is the way to go!" and I fully support this kind of thinking... but this site is made for flash. What that means is that people are more interested to look at flash movie here, then they are of looking at songs. You can make a thousand advertisements of your original song, but unless you have a name behind yourself, then nobody is going to care. So you have to do something that will get people interested in listening to your stuff.

There's a couple of ways you can do this, which is:

1. Remixing popular songs (in ways that wont get you banned from the portal)
2. Doing dual-sided reviews (reviewing someone work in order to have them review yours)
3. Entering into various contest on the site and pretty much beating the competition and landing first place.
4. Having your song be featured in a popular flash (the best way of becoming a popular artist at this site)

But for now, you can't really deny that some genres are more popular then others, and while it recommended to do the stuff you love to do, you also have to step out of your boundaries as well to continue to be original and also to have people willing listen to your work.

That's my take on the whole thing.

I'm not going for the A-Hole approach. It sounds like you're seriously asking for help.

And I'm seriously saying it's up to you on what you make of it.

That's fine. But I'm not really asking for help in the way your intending it but definitely I still have room to improve before I become a top tier artist (right now trying to learn how to use the filter expertly so it can add more to my work)... but yea.

JSX1A
JSX1A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Should I upgrade? Jun. 30th, 2012 @ 06:46 PM Reply

It's possible you're over-thinking this way too much.

With your whole Garageband vs FL Studio and FL Studio vs X statement....

If it's what you use, use it. Try YouTube for a little bit to see just how good of a tool FL Studio it is.

I use Live and I've heard stuff made with FL Studio that made me really want to drop Ableton altogether. And I mean some really really good stuff.

But since I've already invested time and money into Ableton - I really didn't want to scratch everything just because of a few tricks and I felt like I was getting stale. Eventually it turned out that I could do the same things Live.

Bottom line: No I don't think you should upgrade.

BBS Signature