• 23 Replies
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-22 23:41:09

Note: That name is just a catchy play on words.

Hey there, I'm Nuclearwarfare and I'm getting back into art. My skills shall get better along the way, and I hope you all enjoy and give tips.

I'm going to start off with a long lost personal robot of mine, Rust Bot. Its looking way better than it did two years ago...Haha. I need to work on him more, and I think I can pull it off in the around 20 days left.

NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 14:34:20

I'm currently thinking whether I should put gray around the armor, or just more rusty armor. I don't know, but

I really need tips on how to improve, and how I can move that shoulder pad to the left, I'm using GIMP

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 16:10:13

At 6/25/12 02:34 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: I'm currently thinking whether I should put gray around the armor, or just more rusty armor. I don't know, but

I really need tips on how to improve, and how I can move that shoulder pad to the left, I'm using GIMP

It's a nice start. Finish it up and we can help you a lot more once we see it done. So far, all I can help you with is the shading, for some reason it doesn't seem to be following the figure, think of the robot as a 3d character and shade it as if it was a 3d character. Below something to hopefully help you out.

Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 18:00:45

It's a nice start. Finish it up and we can help you a lot more once we see it done. So far, all I can help you with is the shading, for some reason it doesn't seem to be following the figure, think of the robot as a 3d character and shade it as if it was a 3d character. Below something to hopefully help you out.

He is Rusty and has many dents in him. He wouldn't have a solid 3D shading work on him.

BBS Signature
Mabelma
Mabelma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 19:36:18

At 6/25/12 06:00 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
He is Rusty and has many dents in him. He wouldn't have a solid 3D shading work on him.

The post is still valid. Currently your image has many light sources, and shows no actual dents. The image I did was to show you what I meant about 3d shading, pick one light source and shade your character using that light source, add dents and all you want but always keep in mind that one light source and that the character is not flat but 3d.

Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 21:25:12

I'm completely redoing the body and all, but I made the shading the best I could.

BBS Signature
ImpendingRiot
ImpendingRiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 22:00:48

At 6/25/12 09:25 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: I'm completely redoing the body and all, but I made the shading the best I could.

I'll be blunt, you need to learn the basics. I recommend starting here: http://art101.newgrounds.com/news/post/270531

Word to your mother

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 22:50:36

I'll be blunt, you need to learn the basics. I recommend starting here: http://art101.newgrounds.com/news/post/270531

One simply learns from practice...If you ask me, I'm doing well for my skill.

BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-25 23:33:16

At 6/25/12 10:50 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

true but not the right kind of practice determines if you improve quickly or your work remains the same for years.

idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-26 06:20:10

At 6/25/12 10:50 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

If you ask me, you're not.

Learn.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-06-26 09:24:56

If you ask me, you're not.

Learn.

Thats some great tips Mr. Idiot. You learned that by yourself?

I have it right. Dark to light where the light source is coming for. I jumped right to this from 2D, isn't that good enough? I AM only 13, aren't I?

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 17:12:50

Okay I don't have time to deal with that drawing and I'm not going to enter.. I jumped into that design too soon.

I finally found out my drawing style and did a self portrait..I hope you like! Friendly Critique is welcome.

BBS Signature
HarmonicBlues
HarmonicBlues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 17:24:51

At 7/5/12 05:12 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Okay I don't have time to deal with that drawing and I'm not going to enter.. I jumped into that design too soon.

I finally found out my drawing style and did a self portrait..I hope you like! Friendly Critique is welcome.

Is he pounding off? The pose is awkward. His shoulders; besides being uneven, are in a raised, tense state when they should be lowered and relaxed to accompany the hands being in his pockets. The perspective is way off; it looks like his right arm is reaching for his dick or something, and the way his left eye protrudes out his head looks weird. Take the advice posted above and look through art101's shit, and most importantly keep practicing. http://art101.newgrounds.com/

Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 17:29:19

At 7/5/12 05:24 PM, HarmonicBlues wrote:
At 7/5/12 05:12 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Okay I don't have time to deal with that drawing and I'm not going to enter.. I jumped into that design too soon.

Is he pounding off? The pose is awkward. His shoulders; besides being uneven, are in a raised, tense state when they should be lowered and relaxed to accompany the hands being in his pockets. The perspective is way off; it looks like his right arm is reaching for his dick or something, and the way his left eye protrudes out his head looks weird. Take the advice posted above and look through art101's shit, and most importantly keep practicing. http://art101.newgrounds.com/

I'm fucking tired of art101, I'm not trying to make a Mona Lisa, I'm trying to make a cartoony figure. I see the arm is a little off but I'm mainly happy with what I'm doing.

Cartoon
NOT Human figure.

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 17:33:39

By the way, his eye does that because its a cartoon. I initially planned that and drew his eyes first for that purpose

BBS Signature
HarmonicBlues
HarmonicBlues
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 17:38:24

At 7/5/12 05:29 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 7/5/12 05:24 PM, HarmonicBlues wrote:

I'm fucking tired of art101, I'm not trying to make a Mona Lisa, I'm trying to make a cartoony figure. I see the arm is a little off but I'm mainly happy with what I'm doing.

Cartoon
NOT Human figure.

So you basically refuse to try and improve what you're doing by rejecting free education within the subject you're interested in. It doesn't take di Ser Piero himself to tell you that that attitude is flawed. I'm sorry, but if you wish to progress you need to broaden your horizons a little.

Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 17:40:54

So you basically refuse to try and improve what you're doing by rejecting free education within the subject you're interested in. It doesn't take di Ser Piero himself to tell you that that attitude is flawed. I'm sorry, but if you wish to progress you need to broaden your horizons a little.

I'm rejecting help on drawing realistic people. Its a cartoon, I'll get better as I go on Cartoons, do I need to say it again?

BBS Signature
Ludic
Ludic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 20:16:05

At 7/5/12 05:40 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
I'm rejecting help on drawing realistic people. Its a cartoon, I'll get better as I go on Cartoons, do I need to say it again?

The problem is that nothing is ever fucking wrong with cartoons. You can draw any level of bad and still be like "Hay dood, it's a cartoon, it's suppose to look like that." Meaning that it's impossible to critique. The only way to go further is to go more realistic.

creepyboy
creepyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 20:29:24

At 7/5/12 05:40 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote:

If you wanna improve your cartoons I suggest you this cool tutorial by JackSmack

• Retro-Style Drawing 1
    Retro-Style Drawing 1 by JackSmack

Introduction to Retro-Style Drawing.

Score
    4.16 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet
Art Page|Art Thread|DeviantArt|Twitter

BBS Signature
Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-05 22:45:36

Fine, I don't want help, just tell me if you like my style or, if not, get out.

BBS Signature
arkrix
arkrix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Programmer
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-06 04:57:31

At 7/5/12 10:45 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Fine, I don't want help, just tell me if you like my style or, if not, get out.

This is not very nice of you.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-06 05:24:34

At 7/5/12 05:29 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: I'm not trying to make a Mona Lisa, I'm trying to make a cartoony figure.

Yes, and you're making bad cartoony figures.

If you keep that dumb attitude, and reject the advice that you're given, you're not going to get better at drawing cartoony figures, your cartoony figures will stay bad forever, and no one will ever care about the things that you draw.

You moron.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
Ludic
Ludic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-06 09:31:56

At 7/6/12 05:24 AM, Aigis wrote:

Yes, and you're making bad cartoony figures.

If you keep that dumb attitude, and reject the advice that you're given, you're not going to get better at drawing cartoony figures, your cartoony figures will stay bad forever, and no one will ever care about the things that you draw.

You moron.

Amen.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to NuclearWarfare's Artmageddon 2012-07-06 09:51:22

At 7/5/12 10:45 PM, NuclearWarFare wrote: Fine, I don't want help, just tell me if you like my style or, if not, get out.

I think you've confused an Art forum for your mother's fridge.
Post your stuff there, since you're likely to get the praise you're looking for from her.

BBS Signature