00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0llybros just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread

3,670 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2012-06-22 15:07:33

Backstory

Fire Emblem Kakusei (Fire Emblem: Awakening) was released in Japan for the Nintendo 3DS on April 19th this year and has met sales that have even dwarfed popular games released around the same time: Kid Icarus Uprising and Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. The game is the first first-party Nintendo title to feature weekly DLC in the form of extra chapters and characters that become recruitable with them. This was significant for Fire Emblem fans, as the chapters take the game's theme of traveling through time and space to bring us encounters with previous protagonists and worlds from past games. Kind of like Fire Emblem's equivalent to Sonic Generations. It was also the first to feature voice acting (beyond pre-rendered cutscenes). The game was announced for European audiences since before its Japan release, but no official date. North America's announcement came by accident at Nintendo's 3DS software showcase at E3.

Anyway, in yesterday's Nintendo Direct update, we finally learned that the game is arriving internationally next year. Among many other reveals (3DS XL, Kirby's 20th Anniversary, Pikmin 2 Wii re-release), Fire Emblem, AND it's DLC, are confirmed for the world. And I think now is a good time to make a thread about it. You can check out in-depth info on the game on the serenesforest link up top and see details on already released DLC here.

Trailer (Japanese)
Gameplay

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2012-06-22 18:04:15

I played the Sacred Stones on my 3DS ambassador games, and loved it. I'm getting this because I am now on the bandwagon.

Next year is disappointing though.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2012-06-22 19:23:06

I really don't think the DLC is good idea for fire emblem.

Does anyone actually read these?

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2012-06-22 22:50:11

At 6/22/12 06:04 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: I played the Sacred Stones on my 3DS ambassador games, and loved it. I'm getting this because I am now on the bandwagon.

Next year is disappointing though.

Getting it at all is good news. Being a fan of fire Emblem is like being in a failing relationship. You can't get through to your partner all the time, but when you do, it feels so heartwarming. The series doesn't exactly have the best track record for internation releases. On average it takes about 6 months for each game to leave Japan, the first game to accomplish this was the seventh in the series. We still never got FE 12 for the DS, but then again, it was apparently a shoddy remake just like Shadow Dragon.

Sacred Stones is a fan favorite of the series for its classes and progressing through the story when you feel like it. Awakening has been designed with the same system, allowing you to grind for experience and purchase weapons at your leisure rather than in the heat of battle. They also added a "casual" mode among the normal difficulty modes which makes it so a fallen character is not dead forever, just only for the rest of the chapter. This is great for newcomers to the series. I could go on and on about why this game is great, so I won't. :)

At 6/22/12 07:23 PM, f12guy wrote: I really don't think the DLC is good idea for fire emblem.

A couple bucks for another brainteasing chapter and recruitable characters with unique classes and items. The game on its own is decently lengthed I hear (not as long as the 60 hour game that was Radiant Dawn, but still long enough), so what's not to like? Considering all first-party Nintendo franchises, which ones could even have any sort of DLC that works? New Super Mario Bros. 2 is confirmed to have extra levels as DLC after the game's release, but how could there be DLC for Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, or Pikmin? They don't release unfinished games, they can only add to them.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2012-06-22 23:03:49

I have been looking forward to this ever since its existance was confirmed I will be picking this up first day possible.

Now I just wish they would announce and release the japan exclusive fire emblem game on the DS.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-04 22:09:49

Got the game. I am really liking it so far. I like the addition of a character to represent yourself, but it is pretty dumb to do that and only give a couple eyes, hair styles, and hair colours to choose from.

I beat the prologue, and I'm onto the real game now. I am playing on Normal, classic. I hate it when games give you multiple difficulty levels, because I always feel as if I am either losing or winning too much. I can't see why anyone would play a Fire Emblem game not on classic mode though, that is what makes FE!

I will probably buy the Sacred Stones DLC. I wish RPGs weren't so long, otherwise I'd track down copies of the Radiance games and the DS remake of Shadow Dragon.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-05 16:29:41

I just reserved a Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS bundle at Future Shop... for 2 reasons...
1: Fire Emblem looks like loads of fun.
2: I have another game preordered for 3DS (Etrian Odyssey IV)... but I do not currently own a 3DS.

2 birds with 1 stone.. I'd need a 3DS by the end of the month to play the other game I have on preorder, and I've always wanted to try Fire Emblem.

Will be picking up my bundle tomorrow... would do so today... but I have to leave for work in an hour, and I can't get to Future Shop and back by then.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-05 19:19:32

Well the delay in my game arriving at the store sucked but it was here today. Will be playing it later today. Got the artbook and everything.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-06 06:39:19

So I guess I just determined I suck at this game already and I should have went with the lowest difficulty level rather than go with hard mode off the bat.(The middle difficulty not lunatic) I am already having cases of mass deaths on only chapter 2 and playing in classic mode I can't afford to be losing so many units so quickly. I might be stuck on this for a while trying to keep the deaths in the 0-1 range. I am sure the later chapters will be even more difficult so I am just only getting into the beginning of this.

This is the first fire emblem game where I didn't start on the lowest difficulty level. Probably a bad decision on my part but I guess it will keep things interesting.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-06 17:45:35

At 2/6/13 06:39 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: So I guess I just determined I suck at this game already and I should have went with the lowest difficulty level rather than go with hard mode off the bat.(The middle difficulty not lunatic) I am already having cases of mass deaths on only chapter 2 and playing in classic mode I can't afford to be losing so many units so quickly. I might be stuck on this for a while trying to keep the deaths in the 0-1 range. I am sure the later chapters will be even more difficult so I am just only getting into the beginning of this.

This is the first fire emblem game where I didn't start on the lowest difficulty level. Probably a bad decision on my part but I guess it will keep things interesting.

I hate when games never explicitly explain what each difficulty level entails. Some games make the only difference between easy and normal the appearance of hints on how to play. I hear hard mode is quite hard though, so if you aren't too far in, I'd try again in normal.

Also, I'm trying out the first paralogue chapter. It is really really hard! You have to try and level up a really weak character in order for them to join your party. It was never this cruel in Sacred Stones.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-06 19:29:11

At 2/6/13 05:45 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: Also, I'm trying out the first paralogue chapter. It is really really hard! You have to try and level up a really weak character in order for them to join your party. It was never this cruel in Sacred Stones.

I'm actually glad to hear this... IMO, games are much too easy in recent years, and aren't at all satisfying to beat... making them feel more like a grind than an experience.

I just got back from Future Shop with my Fire Emblem 3DS package, I haven't tried it yet... cause I'm downloading another game I was anxious to try out before I get into anything... But I'm glad the game sounds like it'll be a challenge.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-07 00:47:00

Had a little time with the game just now... gotta say, I'm greatly enjoying it, I had to wipe a bead of sweat off my brow when one of my mages nearly got flattened by an axe (Playing on permadeath mode)... fortunately, she was surrounded by other members... so helped her dodge.
In any case, I love that the permadeath gives it a bit of extra thrill to the combat... incentive to play smart, instead of just rushing in to brute your way through and saying, "I'll just revive them after battle".

Also... the game is absolutely gorgeous for a handheld... And while the 3D was kind of wearing my eyes out... made it look so very sexy with that extra depth... the cutscenes in particular are absolutely amazing.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-07 04:22:32

At 2/6/13 05:45 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
Also, I'm trying out the first paralogue chapter. It is really really hard! You have to try and level up a really weak character in order for them to join your party. It was never this cruel in Sacred Stones.

Yeah I know what you mean. Luckily I managed to get it on my first go. Though I did lose Sully in that fight due to a careless mistake I made. It was preventable had I moved chrom in the way of one of the enemies but I didn't and she died because she got attacked by that enemy and another enemy.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-07 10:23:41

At 6/22/12 07:23 PM, f12guy wrote: I really don't think the DLC is good idea for fire emblem.

Recruiting Nino so go screw yourself ><

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-07 20:50:18

At 2/7/13 10:23 AM, Ceratisa wrote:
Recruiting Nino so go screw yourself ><

Nino was awesome in fire emblem GBA. I will definitely be recruiting her once my party gets strong enough.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-07 20:54:05

Hey now, I forgot I made this!

I'm glad to hear everybody's enjoying the game. Honestly, the lowest review score I have seen it get is an 8.5 out of 10, and the fans are thrilled for such an overwhelming success for the series. I hope this is the last proof Nintendo needs that the outside world likes Fire Emblem (and by extension, other games that they might deem "too japanese").

I couldn't procure a physical copy of the game, so I just downloaded it on the eshop. It takes up about half of the 3DS' standard 2GB memory card, but it's well worth it to have such an amazing RPG game ready to play whenever.

At 2/6/13 06:39 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: This is the first fire emblem game where I didn't start on the lowest difficulty level. Probably a bad decision on my part but I guess it will keep things interesting.

Yes, the difficulty in this game is comparable to Radiant Dawn, which I personally deem the hardest in the series. Sure, you could just pair up essential units like My Unit, Chrom, and Frederick to strongarm entire armies the whole game, but for the first run of the game, I heartily reccomend everybody play on Normal mode (the easiest difficulty). Since you won't know which character you for sure want to level up for your final team until long after you've recruited them. Hard mode playthroughs of Fire Emblem games are best done with such decisions made preemptively, so just focus on enjoying the game now.

The First DLC chapter: Champions of Yore came out when this game did, and is free to download until March 6th, so don't miss out! The chapter pits you against heroines from past Fire Emblem games, and you are rewarded with Prince Marth to use in the story mode. The second chapter arrived today as well, and is priced at 2.5 US dollars. I haven't tried it out myself yet, but the reward for that is Roy. And don't forget to check out the spotpass challenges for even more characters (these ones do not have supports or dialogue, but can be rerecruited if they are killed in classic mode). I think all this extra content serves as a great way to grind for experience in the game, and offers much content for fans of the series to enjoy.

At 2/7/13 10:23 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Recruiting Nino so go screw yourself ><

I plan on training her up around hordes of enemies that way outlevel her. Just for the nostalgia factor.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-09 22:56:52

I am on chapter 6 and I still haven't lost a single character. I did two playthroughs of the Scared Stones, one on my first try, and the other as to not lose anyone. I actually got pretty far in that second playthrough. I will most likely only be fine with losing a character a long way into a battle, otherwise, I reset.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-10 06:46:50

At 2/9/13 10:56 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: I am on chapter 6 and I still haven't lost a single character. I did two playthroughs of the Scared Stones, one on my first try, and the other as to not lose anyone. I actually got pretty far in that second playthrough. I will most likely only be fine with losing a character a long way into a battle, otherwise, I reset.

I keep using prince marth as a scapegoat character now. I originally got him from beating the DLC chapter with intentions to use him and level him up but then he died late into a chapter and I said heck with it and started not caring what I did with him since I could just go back to the DLC chapter and get him again lol.

Bad part is he goes back to his original level when you do this so I lost all my progress with him which I think was 5 levels worth of level ups :(

I suppose it is for the best though since he can't really gain support levels and conversations with other characters so he is really just there to take up space when he is on the battlefield.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 05:28:10

The music on chapter 10 was something else. A game with amazing music and gameplay. This has to be the best fire emblem yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_359498 &feature=iv&src_vid=MfvY1S-j67k&v=woZEftd0w5o

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 11:12:05

Loving the title, but I did so much side grinding for support conversations that I'm at chapter 19 and way overleveled (Any one who isn't Lissa [working on her now] can take out everything solo)
Building S class supports unlocks more characters so I need to keep grinding supports >>

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 14:13:37

At 2/11/13 11:12 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Loving the title, but I did so much side grinding for support conversations that I'm at chapter 19 and way overleveled (Any one who isn't Lissa [working on her now] can take out everything solo)
Building S class supports unlocks more characters so I need to keep grinding supports >>

Oh, so you can grind off to the side then? The reviews I watched for the game gave me the impression that xp was scarce and you had to carefully plan who to level up and how much because there were only so many enemies to fight.

If that's not the case, awesome.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 15:22:07

At 2/11/13 02:13 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 2/11/13 11:12 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Loving the title, but I did so much side grinding for support conversations that I'm at chapter 19 and way overleveled (Any one who isn't Lissa [working on her now] can take out everything solo)
Oh, so you can grind off to the side then? The reviews I watched for the game gave me the impression that xp was scarce and you had to carefully plan who to level up and how much because there were only so many enemies to fight.

If that's not the case, awesome.

Buy a box (summons risen depending on location their strength varies) and you can grind. They always at least have 1 small bullion (1000) so the cost of the box (500) more then pays for itself. Though weapon durability could be a minor issue if you begin early.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 19:01:43

At 2/11/13 03:22 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Buy a box (summons risen depending on location their strength varies) and you can grind. They always at least have 1 small bullion (1000) so the cost of the box (500) more then pays for itself. Though weapon durability could be a minor issue if you begin early.

Wait the box costs 500 for you? It costs 4800 for me. I just try to rely on the random spawns of risen throughout the game to get my experience grind.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 20:56:25

At 2/11/13 07:01 PM, Emlfuryoflion wrote:
At 2/11/13 03:22 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Buy a box (summons risen depending on location their strength varies) and you can grind. They always at least have 1 small bullion (1000) so the cost of the box (500) more then pays for itself. Though weapon durability could be a minor issue if you begin early.
Wait the box costs 500 for you? It costs 4800 for me. I just try to rely on the random spawns of risen throughout the game to get my experience grind.

That's because I beat the game on normal first. I'm currently grinding through Lunatic, the boxes still tend to pay for themselves with items getting sold.

I never play a game on hard or the hardest to begin with, I like replaying this to get a feel on the difference. ( I just have fun like that)

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 20:59:14

To clarify every mode above normal the box costs 4800
My team is max level now and I haven't started the 6th chapter in Lunatic yet (Boxes)

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 21:01:05

It's been the greatest thing ever for me in my work status as i have the perfect time killer for when it's slow at the store and there isn't shit to do to make the long 10 hour day go by like no time.

Thank you so much Fire Emblem,you just made earning money that much easier. :)

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-11 21:23:13

At 2/11/13 08:59 PM, Ceratisa wrote: To clarify every mode above normal the box costs 4800
My team is max level now and I haven't started the 6th chapter in Lunatic yet (Boxes)

Ugh >< TEAM as in Chrom and (Avatar) support team

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-12 02:02:11

At 2/11/13 05:28 AM, Emlfuryoflion wrote: The music on chapter 10 was something else. A game with amazing music and gameplay. This has to be the best fire emblem yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_359498 &feature=iv&src_vid=MfvY1S-j67k&v=woZEftd0w5o

Yes. And it was especially touching how the enemy units in the chapter expressed remorse for what they were doing. For me it was reminiscent of the chapter in Radiant Dawn where there was a death counter to emphasize the blooshed of what's going on. Very powerful stuff. There will be a five disk soundtrack released on March 27th in Japan. 4 disks of music, one disk of character voices. If there's ever an english release (I doubt it really) I would so buy it. Many times this past week I found myself humming battle tunes from the game while doing homework

At 2/11/13 11:12 AM, Ceratisa wrote: Building S class supports unlocks more characters so I need to keep grinding supports >>

Oh does it? I wanted to keep the game as a surprise, so I did very little research while it was still japan only. I grinded S supports for all my units by chapter 13 just as an excuse to use everyone. I didn't know the details of the children characters, and thought everybody had to be married by then for them to have recruitable children units. Turns out there's no rush at all.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-12 22:22:59

It's official. I am doing a no character loss play through. I can't stand the thought of losing a character, that I restart long battles, even though some of my characters got some good xp or loot, because of one little useless grunt.

Still, I am only about to start chapter 8. I don't know why, but I am really slow at RPGs.

Response to Official Fire Emblem 3ds Thread 2013-02-13 01:03:02

At 2/12/13 10:22 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: It's official. I am doing a no character loss play through. I can't stand the thought of losing a character, that I restart long battles, even though some of my characters got some good xp or loot, because of one little useless grunt.

Still, I am only about to start chapter 8. I don't know why, but I am really slow at RPGs.

Don't give up! I adore that IS finally decided on making a casual mode of a fire emblem game to broaden the audience of fans, but seeing these games to the end with no casualties is truly rewarding in its own way. And downright impressive for a first playthrough where you don't know yet who you want to be there in your final team. Remember that you can always grind for experience in the monster skirmishes on the world map. But if those get too high level, take advantage of the battle box and keep fighting easier opponents' teams like Florina, Eirika, or Amelia. You can pair up your weaker units with your strongest for massive stat boosts, and even if they don't land the last hit, they still get full experience as if they took down the enemy normally on their own.