Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:39 AM Reply

QUITO, Ecuador âEU" EcuadorâEUTMs foreign minister said Tuesday that WikiLeaks chief Julian Assange has taken refuge in the South American nationâEUTMs embassy in London and is seeking political asylum.

Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino said Ecuador is weighing the request.The move comes less than a week after BritainâEUTMs Supreme Court rejected AssangeâEUTMs bid to reopen his attempts to block extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning after two women accused him of sexual misconduct during a visit to the country in mid-2010. He denies the allegations.

His legal struggle to stay in Britain has dragged on for the better part of two years, clouding his websiteâEUTMs work exposing the worldâEUTMs secrets.

Patino told a news conference that Assange had written to leftist President Rafael Correa saying he was being persecuted and seeking asylum.

He said that Assange, who is Australian, had argued that âEUoethe authorities in his country will not defend his minimum guarantees in front of any government or ignore the obligation to protect a politically persecuted citizen.âEU

He said it was impossible for him to return to his homeland because it would not protect him from being extradited to âEUoea foreign country that applies the death penalty for the crime of espionage and sedition.âEU

The reference is presumably to the United States. Assange claims the U.S. has secretly indicted him for divulging American secrets and will act on the indictment if Sweden succeeds in extraditing him from Britain.

Assange shot to international prominence in 2010 with the release of hundreds of thousands of secret U.S. documents, including a hard-to-watch video that showed U.S. forces gunning down a crowd of Iraqi civilians and journalists whom they had mistaken for insurgents.

Australian authorities have cooperated with the United States in investigating WikiLeaksâEUTM conduct. The Australians have concluded that Assange has broken no Australian law.

Source

so he breaks his 200K bail holding up in a ecuadorian embassy still claiming innocence. if he were innocent he wouldn't have done this and set a example of a innocent man because this makes him look even more guilty.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:46 AM Reply

and heres the BBC with a Interview with assange

Heres a fun snippet.

He said he had mounted his bid because his native Australia had made an "effective declaration of abandonment" by refusing to intervene in his planned extradition.

His mother, Christine, told the BBC: "My government is not my government any more. It's just a subsidiary of the United States. They got together to send him back to the US."

Mr Assange accused the US ambassador to Australia and the country's Prime Minister Julia Gillard of using "slimy rhetoric," he dismissed Canberra's claims he had been receiving ongoing consular assistance.

Source BBC

MrFlopz
MrFlopz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 11:39 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: so he breaks his 200K bail holding up in a ecuadorian embassy still claiming innocence. if he were innocent he wouldn't have done this and set a example of a innocent man because this makes him look even more guilty.

You seem to put too much faith in the justice department. Even if he is innocent that doesn't mean he won't be punished. They'll try to charge him with anything they can get at this point. Or find some kind of loophole.

The average person has only one testicle.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 01:07 PM, MrFlopz wrote: You seem to put too much faith in the justice department. Even if he is innocent that doesn't mean he won't be punished. They'll try to charge him with anything they can get at this point. Or find some kind of loophole.

Don't jump the gun here. The US isn't going to charge him with anything unless he gets extradited to the US. If the US ever tries to extradite him it will be after Sweden prosecutes him and fails to convict. If he gets convicted then the US will have no need to extradite.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:18 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 01:34 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:07 PM, MrFlopz wrote: You seem to put too much faith in the justice department. Even if he is innocent that doesn't mean he won't be punished. They'll try to charge him with anything they can get at this point. Or find some kind of loophole.
Don't jump the gun here. The US isn't going to charge him with anything unless he gets extradited to the US. If the US ever tries to extradite him it will be after Sweden prosecutes him and fails to convict. If he gets convicted then the US will have no need to extradite.

maybe you can answer this for me: why can't the us just charge him now extradite him directly from the uk? i'm not understanding this too well. if i'm understanding it correctly, the only reason the us hasn't actually openly filed charges is that it might give assange's defense more fire to use in fighting the initial extradition to sweden? let the first extradition get taken care of, then file for a second when the issue of precedence is no longer involved?

and what would we charge him with anyway?

and hasnt ecuador signed an extradition treaty with the us? this guy is a nutjob.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 11:39 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: QUITO, Ecuador âEU" EcuadorâEUTMs foreign minister said Tuesday that WikiLeaks chief Julian Assange has taken refuge in the South American nationâEUTMs embassy in London and is seeking political asylum.

Julian Assane should get punished. Throw him in the hole.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:50 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 03:18 PM, Feoric wrote:
maybe you can answer this for me: why can't the us just charge him now extradite him directly from the uk?

I can think of one reason. Given that people have been executed for espionage.

question is, if someone gives you classified info and you expose it to the world, the person who gave it to you is undoubtedly committing the crime, but what about the person who isn't an American? Probably.

Thing is the UK is full of liberal pussies who don't believe in killing criminals. they wouldn't extradite him if they thought for a moment that the US would stick a needle in him for it.

Sweden though, Sweden might be more willing to do it... might.

Assange going to Ecuador is kind of funny if you think about it. the Ecuadorian government does the same things that Assange supposed fights against. Ironic isn't it?

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 05:36 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 04:50 PM, Korriken wrote:
At 6/22/12 03:18 PM, Feoric wrote:
maybe you can answer this for me: why can't the us just charge him now extradite him directly from the uk?
I can think of one reason. Given that people have been executed for espionage.

question is, if someone gives you classified info and you expose it to the world, the person who gave it to you is undoubtedly committing the crime, but what about the person who isn't an American? Probably.

the espionage act is used to prosecute officials who leak information, but journalist recipients of leaked information are protected. this is the reason papers like the new york times can publish leaked information while those who leaked it are punished.

The us can probably try to prosecute assange under the espionage act, and it might work, but nobody wants to deal with "maybe" for such a high profile case, because whether or not assange falls under the legal definition of "journalist" is up for debate.

Thing is the UK is full of liberal pussies

yeah, okay.

Sweden though, Sweden might be more willing to do it... might.

sweden can prosecute the rape charges but they wont have anything to do with trying him for espionage.

Assange going to Ecuador is kind of funny if you think about it. the Ecuadorian government does the same things that Assange supposed fights against. Ironic isn't it?

all countries do, not just ecuador. the thing is he's sort of friends with the president and is hoping he will give him asylum.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:28 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 05:36 PM, Feoric wrote: the espionage act is used to prosecute officials who leak information, but journalist recipients of leaked information are protected. this is the reason papers like the new york times can publish leaked information while those who leaked it are punished.

American journalists are very protected. Independent foreign 'bloggers' are much less protected. There was a recent case a couple years back that determined blogging was not "journalism" for first amendment purposes. On top of that the Bill of Rights does apply equally to foreigners as it does to Americans.

all countries do, not just ecuador. the thing is he's sort of friends with the president and is hoping he will give him asylum.

Assange also knows that it's hip among South American nations to annoy the US.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 05:36 PM, Feoric wrote:

yeah, they do, but Ecuador would probably outright kill Assange for trying what he does now. Mr Open Government being granted asylum by a guy who would have his kind killed in the streets if he could get away with it.

I find is humorous. you think Assange will try to force open Ecuadorian government? we'll see.

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 11:39 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
so he breaks his 200K bail holding up in a ecuadorian embassy still claiming innocence. if he were innocent he wouldn't have done this and set a example of a innocent man because this makes him look even more guilty.

Doing this doesn't mean he isn't innocent. Does it make him look guilty? Yes. It's like invading someone's privacy on the defense of "Well, if you've got nothing to hide, what's the big deal? Why are you resisting? YOU MUST BE GUILTY." Um, no, I just don't like you in my fucking business treating me like a common criminal with no substantial evidence other than hearsay and I LOOK suspicious.

It's stupid.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:17 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 06:42 PM, Korriken wrote: yeah, they do, but Ecuador would probably outright kill Assange for trying what he does now. Mr Open Government being granted asylum by a guy who would have his kind killed in the streets if he could get away with it.

I find is humorous. you think Assange will try to force open Ecuadorian government? we'll see.

ecuador isnt a person, it is a country. the president of ecuador is quite friendly with assange, but who knows if it's because he thinks assange is doing the right thing or is forming a strategic relationship with someone who makes the us look bad. probably the latter. there's nothing that is pointing to assange trying to "force open" the ecuadorian government.

At 6/22/12 06:59 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote:

It's like invading someone's privacy on the defense of "Well, if you've got nothing to hide, what's the big deal? Why are you resisting? YOU MUST BE GUILTY." Um, no, I just don't like you in my fucking business treating me like a common criminal with no substantial evidence other than hearsay and I LOOK suspicious.

the thing is, he put this all on himself by seeking asylum, and there is nothing in this case about his privacy. what's the problem with letting this go to trial? rape trials are notoriously hard to get convictions, and swedish prisons are some of the most lax in the world. when someone is actively seeking asylum to bypass the legal process then some red flags go up. normal people don't do this.

Angry-Hatter
Angry-Hatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:26 PM Reply

At 6/22/12 01:34 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Don't jump the gun here. The US isn't going to charge him with anything unless he gets extradited to the US. If the US ever tries to extradite him it will be after Sweden prosecutes him and fails to convict. If he gets convicted then the US will have no need to extradite.

You really think the US is going to be content with that? Even IF they threw the book on Assange and gave him the maximum penalty for the two charges that they are investigating, he'll receive 8 years at the most, and he'll be eligible for parole after half that time. More likely, he'll get even less than that though. So, Assange sitting in a comfy Swedish prison cell with his own TV and weekend internet privileges, getting out on parole before the term of whoever is going to be the next President is up- do you really think that that is going to satisfy the US government?

Don't you get it? They want to throw Assange in a hole and keep him there FOREVER. There isn't going to be a trial if he gets sent to Sweden, he's going to get extradited before that, and make no mistake about it, Sweden is going to oblige any request made by Daddy, no matter the legality, just as they have in the past. If Assange gets sent to Sweden, the game is over, he's in the hands of the US. I can't say that I blame him for trying to seek asylum wherever he can.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:33 AM Reply

At 6/22/12 11:26 PM, Angry-Hatter wrote:
... comfy Swedish prison cell with his own TV and weekend internet privileges...

oh shit, what deplorable conditions! that chair is made of plastic and has no cushion! No wonder he fled to Ecuador!'

On a more serious topic. I'm amazed we don't hear more about Manning, and whether or not they're going to execute him for espionage. He's kinda fallen off the radar.

as for Assange, there's a very good chance he'll end up in Ecuador for the sole reason that their government can flip the bird at the world.

Angry-Hatter
Angry-Hatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:13 AM Reply

At 6/23/12 02:33 AM, Korriken wrote: oh shit, what deplorable conditions! that chair is made of plastic and has no cushion! No wonder he fled to Ecuador!'

All the more evidence that the prison cells in Sweden is not Assange's most pressing concern. They threw Bradley Manning, a US citizen, into a hole and kept him there for months and months. What do you think they're going to do to someone who's not even a citizen? I'm telling you, if the government of Sweden gets custody of Assange it is a practical certainty that he's going to end up in the hands of the United States. That's what he's afraid of, and that's why he's seeking asylum in Ecuador.

On a more serious topic. I'm amazed we don't hear more about Manning, and whether or not they're going to execute him for espionage. He's kinda fallen off the radar.

I suggest you read the Guardian if you're really interested in keeping up with the Manning case. Kind of difficult to get any decent coverage out of the American news outlets on this issue. I wonder why.

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:39 AM Reply

Let's finally dispense with the bullshit and get to what this really is:

People who want Assange in Sweden, in jail, etc. Are in reality MORE worried about the harm, real or imagined, he did to the "country" of the United States (which is frankly an imagainary construct we just all agree exists). Instead of what he's actually charged with, violating the minds and bodies of his accusers through the heinous and reprehensible crime of rape. Yeah...it's days like this some of you really just fucking sicken me and I want nothing to do with you and your crap.

Let's just be honest already about what outrages us, whether that outs you as a monstrous prick with misplaced priorities or not. FUCK!!!

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:09 AM Reply

At 6/22/12 01:34 PM, Camarohusky wrote: Don't jump the gun here. The US isn't going to charge him with anything unless he gets extradited to the US. If the US ever tries to extradite him it will be after Sweden prosecutes him and fails to convict. If he gets convicted then the US will have no need to extradite.

and the US hasn't done shit with this whole case. so I dont know why he's being so paranoid. The US already have their scape goat who is Bradley Manning.

and if the US is gonna do something they are going to wait it out and see what happens first and after the 2012 US elections.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:37 AM Reply

At 6/23/12 03:39 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: Let's finally dispense with the bullshit and get to what this really is:

People who want Assange in Sweden, in jail, etc. Are in reality MORE worried about the harm, real or imagined, he did to the "country" of the United States (which is frankly an imagainary construct we just all agree exists). Instead of what he's actually charged with, violating the minds and bodies of his accusers through the heinous and reprehensible crime of rape. Yeah...it's days like this some of you really just fucking sicken me and I want nothing to do with you and your crap.

I'll be honest, I wanna see em get extradited so I can read about the court proceedings. Also, Assange's arrogant prick attitude rubs me the wrong way. Did he actually rape them? I wouldn't doubt it. guys in a position like Assange tend to develop superman syndrome and figure of the government can't stop them, no one can and they can do as they please.

Let's just be honest already about what outrages us, whether that outs you as a monstrous prick with misplaced priorities or not. FUCK!!!

I usually am honest about what outrages me. I'm considered an ignorant racist. go figure.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:40 AM Reply

and you know another thing that I wonder about is that Ecuador has a extradition treaty with the US so if the US DID WANT HIM, they could easily extradite him from ecuador. and it wouldn't be to hard we are Ecuadors main Import/Export partner and really on heavy business with them.

just a thought I would throw out.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 08:45 AM Reply

Am I the only one here who has actually been following the story ?

First how can he be extradited, to Sweden...when he has yet to be charged with a crime ?

How can you start or even implement extradition....when there has been no criminal charges laid ?
The Sweedish Prosecutor is using a heavy handed approach & they could easily interview Assange....which is what they say they want to do...... but they won't do it by phone, or video link , nor willthey allow the use of an Embassy for him to appear inGreat Brittian.

No they want him in custody so they can extradite him to the USA, when they dismiss him ....because they have no intention of laying charges,,,,its been over 2 years , still no criminal charge !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16822257
Look at the bottom paragraph, they have other choices...but none of them put him in their custody !

Then of course there is this little gem....which would have your 'rape' case thown out of any court (except a kangaroo court or one in the USofA, where they don't want anyone to know just how much the government is overstepping its bounds)
http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/12/02/when-it-comes-to-assange -r-pe-case-the-swedes-are-making-it-up-as-they-go-along/

There is also of course the abandonment of Assange, by his own Government & comments by Australia's Prime Minister, seems she hasn't got a clue about the laws of the country she supposedly leads & thought it was against the law.
Now she tells the truth, she's pissed off he did something she personally disproves of & In Her Opinion has decided to let other countries fry him instead of protecting her own citizen.
This link shows her 180 & her expressing her opinion.
Which to me shows she is using her position to persecute an Australian she disagrees with....even though he has done nothing illegal.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/no-laws-broken-police-tell -pm-20101217-190vj.html

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:03 AM Reply

At 6/23/12 08:45 AM, morefngdbs wrote: Am I the only one here who has actually been following the story ?

First how can he be extradited, to Sweden...when he has yet to be charged with a crime ?

How can you start or even implement extradition....when there has been no criminal charges laid ?

he has remember he had a WARRANT issued for him he was living in england at the time, in accordance with the Swedish legal system, formal charges will be laid only after extradition and a second round of questioning.

No they want him in custody so they can extradite him to the USA, when they dismiss him ....because they have no intention of laying charges

america has had no involvement what so ever which has been proven. Leave your conspiracy Shit at the door.

its been over 2 years , still no criminal charge !

once again Swedish legal system after extradition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16822257
Look at the bottom paragraph, they have other choices...but none of them put him in their custody !

and if you read in the third paragraph the wanted him for QUESTIONING and I dont see that anywhere in the source you provided.

There is also of course the abandonment of Assange, by his own Government & comments by Australia's Prime Minister, seems she hasn't got a clue about the laws of the country she supposedly leads & thought it was against the law.
Now she tells the truth, she's pissed off he did something she personally disproves of & In Her Opinion has decided to let other countries fry him instead of protecting her own citizen.
This link shows her 180 & her expressing her opinion.

wouldn't know I don't deal with australian politics very often, I just eat their steak.

had to delete alot of it because it was conspiracy fueled opinions.

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:09 AM Reply

At 6/23/12 09:03 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 6/23/12 08:45 AM, morefngdbs wrote:

;;;
I see you conveniently didn't bother withthe second link.
THe one where there was never any rape.
Just some females wanting to fuck a well know figure & brag about it.

& it isn't a conspiracy theory if its the truth !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:43 AM Reply

At 6/23/12 09:09 AM, morefngdbs wrote:
At 6/23/12 09:03 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 6/23/12 08:45 AM, morefngdbs wrote:
;;;
I see you conveniently didn't bother withthe second link.

and you to on my post. funny it goes both ways.

yeah he screwed two chicks when they asked him to wear a condom and went to police and question if they could get him to submit to a HIV test which

THe one where there was never any rape.

rape, sexual misconduct, sexual harassment you can call it what you want.

Just some females wanting to fuck a well know figure & brag about it.
& it isn't a conspiracy theory if its the truth !

hardly.

Conspiracy- an agreement by two or more persons to commit a crime, fraud, or other wrongful act.

Conspiracy Theory- a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group or organization.

and all your spouting are opinions by Conspiracies theorists.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 09:44 AM Reply

At 6/23/12 09:43 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: yeah he screwed two chicks when they asked him to wear a condom and went to police and question if they could get him to submit to a HIV test which

Sorry was to busy with the other parts of the OP to finish this part.

yeah he screwed two chicks when they asked him to wear a condom and went to police and question if they could get him to submit to a HIV test which launched the police investigation by the Swedes.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 12:11 PM Reply

And just think, had Assange just kept his pants up, and not been a promiscuous horndog, he wouldn't be IN this mess to begin with.

for such a 'smart' man he's not too bright.

camobch0
camobch0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Gamer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:12 PM Reply

He's fighting this because he knows that if he gets extradited to Sweden they'll send him right to the US.

A vagina is really just a hat for a penis.

BBS Signature
Angry-Hatter
Angry-Hatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 6/23/12 03:39 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: Let's finally dispense with the bullshit and get to what this really is:

Let's just be clear that what Assange is being accused of, MINOR rape, probably has no equivalent in the US. It's basically where a woman gives her consent for sex but argues afterwards that it was non-consensual, that the man took advantage of her somehow. For example, a man starts chatting with a fabulously drunk woman and she agrees to have sex with him, she wakes up the next morning and regrets her decision, boom, rape charges.

Making the whole thing even more fishy is the fact that even these minor rape charges were originally dropped by the chief prosecutor because she believed there was a lack of evidence, but then, a couple of weeks later the executive prosecutor resubmitted the rape charges because of "new evidence". So far, there has been absolutely no indication of what this new evidence consists of, and this is where the conspiracy theories begin, that the CIA pressured the Swedish government to pursue a case against Assange in order to discredit him and divert attention from the recently released Iraq war documents and the impending diplomatic cables leak.

Regardless, the charges against Assange are very minor to begin with, so to go around shouting RAPIST RAPIST RAPIST is a bit excessive.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 6/23/12 03:16 PM, Angry-Hatter wrote: For example, a man starts chatting with a fabulously drunk woman and she agrees to have sex with him, she wakes up the next morning and regrets her decision, boom, rape charges.

In many US jurisdictions, that is rape. Also, it usually is one of the higher levels of rape. If a reasonable eprson would believe someone cannot consent, then legally, they cannot. Being three sheets to the wind would count.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 6/23/12 03:12 PM, camobch0 wrote: He's fighting this because he knows that if he gets extradited to Sweden they'll send him right to the US.

once again the US hasnt been involved once in this whole matter.

Angry-Hatter
Angry-Hatter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to Julian Assange violates parole Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

At 6/23/12 04:42 PM, Camarohusky wrote: In many US jurisdictions, that is rape. Also, it usually is one of the higher levels of rape. If a reasonable eprson would believe someone cannot consent, then legally, they cannot. Being three sheets to the wind would count.

That being so, it's a tricky charge to prove/disprove conclusively, especially if there's a lack of physical evidence. It basically boils down to a he-said-she-said. Exactly how drunk was she? What level of coercion was involved? In Sweden it is exceedingly easy to accuse someone of rape and to get a conviction. A rape accusation carries a lot of weight, and it is more about the defendant proving himself innocent rather than the accuser proving him guilty.