Be a Supporter!

There is no good or evil

  • 1,273 Views
  • 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:33:58 Reply

I came upon this realization while thinking about the theory in in quantum mechanics that states that nothing truly exists until something or someone observes it. Now, in quantum mechanics, an observation is almost anything, temperature is an observation, pressure is an observation, any wavelength on the electromagnetic spectrum is an observation. So basically, if you put something, say a brick of iron, in a chamber that simulates nothingness, it will suddenly become undecided on weather or not where it is, how it's arranged ect. until something observes it.

Enough about theoretical physics though. I saw that this can translate into good and evil, right and wrong, ethical and unethical.

Basically, the way I saw it in this little epiphany of mine, was that good and evil doesn't exist, until someone tries to decide what is good and evil. What's considered to be ethical and unethical is only a creation of society, not human kind.

Some of you might think that this is obvious. If you do, then you just gotta think about it harder, the meaning of what i'm trying to say is deeper than words can convey.

If only mind meld existed >-<


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
MushookieMan
MushookieMan
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:36:36 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: quantum mechanics

You best be trollin'.


BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:37:39 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:36 AM, MushookieMan wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: quantum mechanics
You best be trollin'.

I swear on my life i'm not

There is no good or evil


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Knights
Knights
  • Member since: May. 29, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 48
Filmmaker
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:39:11 Reply

Right and wrong are just words, what matters is what you do.


I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:46:41 Reply

No, they both actually exist.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:48:37 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:39 AM, knightsofthecircle wrote: Right and wrong are just words, what matters is what you do.

It's not about the word, it's about the idea of what they mean. They don't mean anything until you make them something


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
froggerfreak
froggerfreak
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Programmer
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:50:03 Reply

You're really bad at explaining things, that really made no sense to me.


Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:51:32 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:50 AM, froggerfreak wrote: You're really bad at explaining things, that really made no sense to me.

Most likely because you can't wrap your mind around quantum mechanics. I don't mean that as an insult, there's no shame in it, it takes a pretty hefty load of brainpower to understand it


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:52:45 Reply

You butcher a baby; you're just manipulating atoms.

froggerfreak
froggerfreak
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Programmer
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 01:56:23 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:51 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:50 AM, froggerfreak wrote: You're really bad at explaining things, that really made no sense to me.
Most likely because you can't wrap your mind around quantum mechanics. I don't mean that as an insult, there's no shame in it, it takes a pretty hefty load of brainpower to understand it

How much brainpower do you have?


Valar Morghulis []

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 02:06:04 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:56 AM, froggerfreak wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:51 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:50 AM, froggerfreak wrote: You're really bad at explaining things, that really made no sense to me.
Most likely because you can't wrap your mind around quantum mechanics. I don't mean that as an insult, there's no shame in it, it takes a pretty hefty load of brainpower to understand it
How much brainpower do you have?

I'm not sure, I never measured it, but i've noticed that I always seem to understand complicated things when most people can't, and stuff like that. From what I can tell, I see reality a tad bit different than most people. I'm not saying I'm a genius, or anything, I'm just saying that I certainly am a tad cut above the average intellect


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 02:13:34 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: I came upon this realization while thinking about the theory in in quantum mechanics that states that nothing truly exists until something or someone observes it.

[citation needed]

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 02:15:10 Reply

At 6/22/12 02:13 AM, amplefied wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: I came upon this realization while thinking about the theory in in quantum mechanics that states that nothing truly exists until something or someone observes it.
[citation needed]

Fuck, now I gotta go looking for it somewhere

gimme like, 20 minutes and I'll get back to you

It's called the uncertainty principle, it's one of the most interesting theories in quantum mechanics so far, in my opinion


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
amplefied
amplefied
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 02:20:34 Reply

At 6/22/12 02:15 AM, Xenomit wrote: It's called the uncertainty principle, it's one of the most interesting theories in quantum mechanics so far, in my opinion

You sure you're not confusing it with observer effect?

Silverdust
Silverdust
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 02:20:46 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: I came upon this realization while thinking about the theory in in quantum mechanics that states that nothing truly exists until something or someone observes it.

QM observation is total bollocks and cannot be invalidated by evidence. Regardless, "good and evil" are ideas rather than entities. So, you don't need quantum mechanics to figure out that you need at least one person to exist for morals and ethics to also. That should be common sense.

And, there is such a thing as good and evil - subjectively at the very least. Otherwise, we wouldn't have words for them. The debate should be centered around the idea of absolute morality, not the "existence" of an idea.


RussiaToday : Aljazeera : TEDTalks : io9
"We have the Bill of Rights; what we need is a Bill of Responsibilities." ~ Bill Maher

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 02:23:21 Reply

At 6/22/12 02:20 AM, amplefied wrote:
At 6/22/12 02:15 AM, Xenomit wrote: It's called the uncertainty principle, it's one of the most interesting theories in quantum mechanics so far, in my opinion
You sure you're not confusing it with observer effect?

They're both really really similar, they have the same basis

although I may be mistaken

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:07:12 Reply

At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: Some of you might think that this is obvious. If you do, then you just gotta think about it harder, the meaning of what i'm trying to say is deeper than words can convey.

No, I don't think so. It's just obvious. There's nothing else to go deeper on.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:16:25 Reply

At 6/22/12 03:07 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: Some of you might think that this is obvious. If you do, then you just gotta think about it harder, the meaning of what i'm trying to say is deeper than words can convey.
No, I don't think so. It's just obvious. There's nothing else to go deeper on.

Like I should have said, not everyone will fully understand


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:24:54 Reply

At 6/22/12 03:16 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 6/22/12 03:07 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: Some of you might think that this is obvious. If you do, then you just gotta think about it harder, the meaning of what i'm trying to say is deeper than words can convey.
No, I don't think so. It's just obvious. There's nothing else to go deeper on.
Like I should have said, not everyone will fully understand

No. You're just throwing quantum physics out there and trying to look smart. It's not working very well. You're insulting others for no reason other than to make yourself look better.
Pretty sure I understand what your post said and pretty sure I've read more about quantum physics than you have.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:30:19 Reply

At 6/22/12 03:24 AM, Sensationalism wrote: No. You're just throwing quantum physics out there and trying to look smart. It's not working very well. You're insulting others for no reason other than to make yourself look better.
Pretty sure I understand what your post said and pretty sure I've read more about quantum physics than you have.

I agree with this. OP is coming off as pretty arrogant at an epiphany most people realize when they're teenagers. You could also say that 1 + 1 will equal to two so long as the human race exists. If there are no humans and no intelligent life form, a simple arithmetic addition ceases to be.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:31:16 Reply

At 6/22/12 03:24 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 6/22/12 03:16 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 6/22/12 03:07 AM, Sensationalism wrote:
At 6/22/12 01:33 AM, Xenomit wrote: Some of you might think that this is obvious. If you do, then you just gotta think about it harder, the meaning of what i'm trying to say is deeper than words can convey.
No, I don't think so. It's just obvious. There's nothing else to go deeper on.
Like I should have said, not everyone will fully understand
No. You're just throwing quantum physics out there and trying to look smart. It's not working very well. You're insulting others for no reason other than to make yourself look better.

I only said anything to that one guy, and I even blatantly said it wasnt an insult, PLUS he didn't even get offended

Pretty sure I understand what your post said

If you did, you would get what I was saying

and pretty sure I've read more about quantum physics than you have.

How the fuck do you know? Do you pay close attention to my personal library of books, or my browsing history?

I take that as a challenge of my intelligence, and I propose we test your little theory about having read more than me


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:37:23 Reply

Your arrogance is insulting enough. You're actually saying that nobody gets you because even if they get you there's some magical mysterious other meaning other than what is clear and basic. Puh-lease.

:Sens-Pretty sure I understand what your post said

Xen- If you did, you would get what I was saying

Yeah that's rather redundant, wouldn't you say?

Why do I think I've read more about it than you? Because I absorbed it and kept reading and encountered a lot of the same stuff in multiple books but read them anyway because it's interesting. I didn't hear one idea and run to the BBS with epiphanies and arrogance and feigned intelligence.


The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:44:37 Reply

At 6/22/12 03:37 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Your arrogance is insulting enough. You're actually saying that nobody gets you because even if they get you there's some magical mysterious other meaning other than what is clear and basic. Puh-lease.

Sens-Pretty sure I understand what your post said
Xen- If you did, you would get what I was saying
Yeah that's rather redundant, wouldn't you say?

Why do I think I've read more about it than you? Because I absorbed it and kept reading and encountered a lot of the same stuff in multiple books but read them anyway because it's interesting. I didn't hear one idea and run to the BBS with epiphanies and arrogance and feigned intelligence.

No, i've known about the uncertainty principle for years now, I happened to be thinking about it while laying in bed, and out of nowhere I came up with that idea and went with it. I thought about it for a few hours, and decided to put it on here

Oh, and I too absorb information, I learn little tidbits of information from everything, and after a while they start to come together and form new understandings ect.

Now tell me, why does an event horizon distort the space around it, and why does it always look like it's 2 dimensional?

BONUS: what kind of shadow does a 3 dimensional object cast?


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:45:42 Reply

At 6/22/12 03:37 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Why do I think I've read more about it than you? Because I absorbed it and kept reading and encountered a lot of the same stuff in multiple books but read them anyway because it's interesting. I didn't hear one idea and run to the BBS with epiphanies and arrogance and feigned intelligence.

Moral of the story is claiming someone doesn't get you because you're more intelligent than them is always condescending and arrogant. I believe Einstein once said that if you can't explain something simply, then you don't understand it enough.

PIED3
PIED3
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:46:43 Reply

At 6/22/12 02:06 AM, Xenomit wrote: I'm not sure, I never measured it, but i've noticed that I always seem to understand complicated things when most people can't, and stuff like that. From what I can tell, I see reality a tad bit different than most people. I'm not saying I'm a genius, or anything, I'm just saying that I certainly am a tad cut above the average intellect

Ha ha ha ha ha, so cute.

First off, what do you mean by good and evil? If you're using good to mean "an action that helps promotes human happiness" then it certainly exists (charity, kindness, etc.). If you're using good to mean "an action that is promoted and applauded in society" then it certainly exists (saving a child from a burning building, building an orphanage etc.). If you're using good to mean "an action that has an objective positive value as denoted by a universal system that gives values to human behaviors" then yeah, it probably doesn't exist, because morality in the sense of a universal system that gives value to human behavior (which is what "morality" traditionally means) doesn't exist, or at least there's no reason to think it does.

Learn to be precise and clear.


BBS Signature
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Member since: Aug. 1, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 03:47:50 Reply

At 6/22/12 03:44 AM, Xenomit wrote: Now tell me, why does an event horizon distort the space around it, and why does it always look like it's 2 dimensional?

BONUS: what kind of shadow does a 3 dimensional object cast?

Also a worth note. Knowledge does not equal intelligence.

bismuthfeldspar
bismuthfeldspar
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 04:36:36 Reply

Quantum physics doesn't say things cease to exist when they cannot be observed, it says there is no reason to assume they exist.

Also, philosophy can be rational, science and logic are philosophies, sapience is readily observable so the conclusion that the suffering of sapient beings is evil isn't in the same realm as ideas like karma or auras.

SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 04:36:47 Reply

First of all,I think that relating quantum mechanics with ideas is wrong.I don't really know many things about QM but since it is physics I think it more about actual objects.However I haven't studied MQ myself so I'm not sure.
Also,a "quiz" through Internet is a ridiculous idea.


Bitte Nazi mods keine bannerino, weil ich ein Nazi Schwein als ihr bin. Danke schön!

BBS Signature
ModernPatriot
ModernPatriot
  • Member since: May. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 06:03:30 Reply

Oh look, another "good and evil is subjective", cunt stain. I understand that you're very stupid, so I'll be very simple.

Lighting your parents on fire with gasoline, and matches while they sleep, when they've done nothing but be good to you is inherently evil.

Saving your best friend's life from drowning in a pool is good, and benign.

Fuck off.


A man once described hell as a place where there is no reason. Thank you, Feminists, for dragging me into hell.

BBS Signature
FanofFulp
FanofFulp
  • Member since: Jan. 31, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to There is no good or evil 2012-06-22 09:27:16 Reply

so...you're claiming that you came up with ethical relativism?

also quantum mechanics has fucking nothing to do with morality lmao