00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkyonVeil just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Djent Club

8,591 Views | 69 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Djent Club 2012-06-20 20:52:23

This is the Djent club. Djent is a genre of music branching off rock and/or metal. Scoffers may say its just a guitar tone, but this is incorrect. Djent uses different time signatures besides 4/4 and 3/4 that are used in the other rock/metal genres. Common time signatures in Djent are 7/4, 16/4, 7/8, 3/8, etc. They also turn the gain on their guitars almost all the way up to get a more detailed sound because the riffs are very technical.

Instruments used in Djent:

Guitar
Bass
Drums
Vocals

Djent Bands:

Atlanticore

Animals As Leaders

Gru

The Algorithm

Tesseract

Mindwork

Xerath

To join you have to be able to play one of the instruments listed / sing or enjoy one of these bands.

" Women are dumb sheep who would rather fuck a Silverback than Einstein." - EisUndStahl

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-20 21:35:42

At 6/20/12 08:52 PM, apocalypseven wrote: stuff

There's already a metal club and they discuss this genre.

"They also turn the gain on their guitars almost all the way up to get a more detailed sound because the riffs are very technical."

I also don't understand this. Djent has some of the most simple riffs ever created, focusing on bends on the lowest string that a novice guitarist could achieve. While some bands are technical, like AAL, turning the gain up all the way for a more detailed sound makes little to no sense. More gain = more feedback, which would actually hinder the ability to hear the technical riffs you're talking about.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-20 21:54:12

At 6/20/12 09:35 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote:
At 6/20/12 08:52 PM, apocalypseven wrote: stuff
There's already a metal club and they discuss this genre.

Yeah they do not like Djent, they didn't even let me in.

"They also turn the gain on their guitars almost all the way up to get a more detailed sound because the riffs are very technical."

I also don't understand this. Djent has some of the most simple riffs ever created, focusing on bends on the lowest string that a novice guitarist could achieve. While some bands are technical, like AAL, turning the gain up all the way for a more detailed sound makes little to no sense. More gain = more feedback, which would actually hinder the ability to hear the technical riffs you're talking about.

Yeah but they are still learning, this genre is still brand new. On a regular guitar yes, you would get more feedback, but their guitars are custom made by special companies to handle the feedback and gain.

" Women are dumb sheep who would rather fuck a Silverback than Einstein." - EisUndStahl

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-21 13:32:03

Well then I apologize, they are a pretty big group of elitists over there.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-21 16:18:02

At 6/21/12 01:32 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Well then I apologize, they are a pretty big group of elitists over there.

:(

We just aren't too sure if Djent is really fitting for the Metal Hell. Usually, when someone wants to join and provides a list composed of nine Djent bands and only one "obviously metal" band, we tend to believe that the said person isn't really a metalhead, for he seems to show an obvious preference (if not a limitation) to one genre that is "arguably" metal. I think Djent is somewhere between Metal, Core and Modern Rock. So...

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-22 12:45:00

At 6/21/12 04:18 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: We just aren't too sure if Djent is really fitting for the Metal Hell.

Fair enough, but I bet people in the club made fun of him when he posted those bands.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-22 14:50:00

Nah, its OK, because technically it isn't metal, I think what its going to happen is Djent is going to completely break off from the Metal Genre completely.

In Tosin Abasi's (from AAL) interviews everyone is telling him it isn't metal, they are probably right, but that's ok.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-22 16:20:22

I don't know anything about djent, but I love Animals as Leaders.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-23 01:27:54

At 6/22/12 04:20 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't know anything about djent, but I love Animals as Leaders.

I never thought of Animals as Leaders counted as Djent. I always saw this band as a mix of Progressive Metal and Progressive Rock.

At 6/22/12 12:45 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote:
At 6/21/12 04:18 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: We just aren't too sure if Djent is really fitting for the Metal Hell.
Fair enough, but I bet people in the club made fun of him when he posted those bands.

I think I remember when he asked to join the Metal Hell and I think I was the one who explainned why we were not too comfortable with the idea of accepting members who are mainly interrested by Djent bands or anything that isn't too obviously metal or anything that keeps a foot on each side of the fence.

When such a situation happens, we invite the user to list more obvious metal bands he likes.

We aren't dicks, you know :'(

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-23 03:02:59

At 6/23/12 01:27 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
We aren't dicks, you know :'(

ha

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-23 14:50:05

At 6/23/12 01:27 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
were not too comfortable with the idea of accepting members who are mainly interrested by Djent bands

I like Terminally Your Aborted Ghost, does that count?

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-23 15:23:23

If you don't listen to crap doom metal bands or crap Scandinavian black metal bands, you can't join the Metal club.

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-23 17:57:22

At 6/23/12 02:50 PM, apocalypseven wrote: I like Terminally Your Aborted Ghost, does that count?

Definitely, but this isn't the Metal Hell :P

At 6/23/12 03:23 PM, XtremeofParanoia wrote: If you don't listen to crap doom metal bands or crap Scandinavian black metal bands, you can't join the Metal club.

Is this The Djent Club or The Club of frustratred Metal Hell rejects ?

We didn't say shit about Djent. Stop crying like a bitch. This thread is going to get locked down in no time if all we discuss is Metal Hell's requirements and how much the Metal Hell sucks for rejecting Djent as Metal.

However, you are still wrong. If you like Power Metal, Thrash, Death, Prog, Symphnic, Gothic, Melodic Death, Doom, Drone, Sludge, Folk, Avant-garde, Black and other Metal genres you will be accepted in the Metal Hell.

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 00:13:26

djent > doom metal

The Djent Club

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 03:22:01

At 6/23/12 05:57 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
We didn't say shit about Djent. Stop crying like a bitch. This thread is going to get locked down in no time if all we discuss is Metal Hell's requirements and how much the Metal Hell sucks for rejecting Djent as Metal.

However, you are still wrong. If you like Power Metal, Thrash, Death, Prog, Symphnic, Gothic, Melodic Death, Doom, Drone, Sludge, Folk, Avant-garde, Black and other Metal genres you will be accepted in the Metal Hell.

You're not helping this club's launch, so please just fuck off.
The only Djent I've heard is from; Vildhjarta, Periphery, AaL and Chimp Spanner.
Any recommendations?

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 03:57:50

At 6/23/12 01:27 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: We aren't dicks, you know :'(

Yes we are B)

Sorry if you felt were treated unfairly. I only vaguely remember you, so I don't know how it went down, but I do remember telling you Djent might not boil down to metal due to it's relationship with -core music. But meh, I don't really care what it is, I'm always in the mood for AAL and Shug.

Anyway, Kevin Suter is pretty cool, you guys might like him. He's got the ambient/djent stuff that seems to be the dominating style. I'll admit I'm pretty ignorant of djent, so I can't really give too much input.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 15:02:02

At 6/24/12 03:22 AM, Oliver wrote: You're not helping this club's launch, so please just fuck off.

Oliver, you've proved over time that you are just an hipster and also a stat-whore. You are one of the most pretentious twats on Newgrounds. I was merely just defending myself and the Metal Hell from false accusations. I also expressed my point of view on the matter and proved the other user wrong. If I read some bullshit I'm going to point it out. Just suck it up kiddo.

At 6/24/12 12:13 AM, apocalypseven wrote: djent > doom metal

Why would you even compare these two genres ? Especially considering how huge Doom Metal is. It started with Black Sabbath 42 years ago and has evolved in so many directions with so many different bands. You can't compare this with Djent, that doesn't really qualify as a musical genre :P

At 6/24/12 03:57 AM, Tobi wrote: Sorry if you felt were treated unfairly. I only vaguely remember you, so I don't know how it went down, but I do remember telling you Djent might not boil down to metal due to it's relationship with -core music. But meh, I don't really care what it is, I'm always in the mood for AAL and Shug.

If Deathcore bands like Born Of Osiris and Veil Of Maya count as Djent, than it pretty much means you can just chug with a slightly different sound and be called Djent rather than Deathcore or Metalcore. I really need to hear from Djent fans a good reason why it should be considered as a genre.

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 15:07:42

Not a huge djent fan, but I really dig Cloudkicker, check his stuff here

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 16:02:20

At 6/24/12 03:02 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I really need to hear from Djent fans a good reason why it should be considered as a genre.

Ok, this is getting out of hand, it is obviously a genre dude, Tosin is killing you guys on a fucking 8 string guitar, so are the other bands, you guys didn't see it coming, the music is composed better, its more original, and its more open minded to fans of any type of music.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 16:27:19

At 6/24/12 04:02 PM, apocalypseven wrote:
At 6/24/12 03:02 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I really need to hear from Djent fans a good reason why it should be considered as a genre.
Ok, this is getting out of hand, it is obviously a genre dude, Tosin is killing you guys on a fucking 8 string guitar, so are the other bands, you guys didn't see it coming, the music is composed better, its more original, and its more open minded to fans of any type of music.

What the hell are you talking about ? Composed better than what ? I assume you are saying Metal isn't as good as Djent, but that would be absolutely dumb. First because Metal is an umbrella genre that includes a ton of genres and subgenres. Second, because Metal is obviously far more diversified then Djent. I'm not going to say it's better or anything, but don't get into this kind of silly fight. Djent is more like an adjective to describe a trend and not a genre. Like atmospheric, blackened, etc. Those aren't genres but more like a "tendency" in a genre. Third, Djent isn't considered to be a musical genre even by some musicians who get labeled as Djent. There is a bried article on Djent on Wikipedia, I won't quote it or anything. It's very short anyway.

Djent on Wikipedia

I've listenned to that Born Of Osiris track Follow The Signs. It isn't bad per say and it got that distinctive sound and style of Djent. But if you know any musical theory you can easily observe that their music is written like your typical Technical Deathcore, but with the "Djent" sound on the chugging riffs and with that artsy attitude that is so common in Djent.

See, I don't have any problem with the use of the word Djent, but I think it should always be followed by another genre name. Animals As Leaders would be Djent Metal as Born Of Osiris would be Djent Deathcore, or whatever. If you know anything about music you just know you can't pretend that Born Of Osiris and Animals As Leaders are two bands of the same musical genre. To me Animals As Leaders is far more similar to your typical modern instrumental prog metal but with the Djent's typical sound and production. Born Of Osiris is far more like Beneath The Massacre and other Tech Deathcore bands, but yet again with that thick Djent sound.

Anyway. No need to get fucking pissed over this. Genre or not, the music can still be good...

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 17:28:05

At 6/24/12 04:27 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Anyway. No need to get fucking pissed over this. Genre or not, the music can still be good...

Oh but I am, we all are.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 17:51:49

you haters make me laugh

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 20:36:12

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 23:03:52

At 6/24/12 05:28 PM, apocalypseven wrote:
At 6/24/12 04:27 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Anyway. No need to get fucking pissed over this. Genre or not, the music can still be good...
Oh but I am, we all are.

Why are you acting like a prick for? No one is arguing with what you like.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-24 23:39:27

At 6/24/12 11:03 PM, Anti-pie wrote: Why are you acting like a prick for? No one is arguing with what you like.

seriously. I listen to jazz, blues, classical, electro/industrial, darkwave, electronic, dnb, trip hop, etc. It doesn't matter what other stuff you like, All that matters is that you listen to enough genuine actual metal. We just don't want a bunch of people trying to talk about nu-metal and metalcore and the like.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 02:03:37

At 6/24/12 11:03 PM, Anti-pie wrote:
Why are you acting like a prick for? No one is arguing with what you like.

Hmm, I am a musician, there are a bunch of manipulators pretending to be rock stars fronting and stealing peoples work.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 17:14:47

At 6/24/12 05:51 PM, SineRider wrote: you haters make me laugh

Who's hating? I think that debating if Djent is a real genre or not is appropriate for the Djent Club. I'm not expressing any hate (except when someone feels the need to bring the disussion to a personnal level). In fact, I kind of like Djent, no matter if it's a genre or not.

At 6/24/12 08:36 PM, apocalypseven wrote: 7 additional Djent bands :

ForTiori

Orion

Friend For A Foe

Uneven Structure

Monarchist

Hydrodjent

Monuments

I'll go through that list today. A few more bands in my library is always appreciated :)

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 17:42:35

At 6/23/12 01:27 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I never thought of Animals as Leaders counted as Djent. I always saw this band as a mix of Progressive Metal and Progressive Rock.

You're right, they are more progressive I think as well. Although Weightless has a lot of djent influence from the extremely low-end tone they used for that album. All of the heavy palm mutes and polyrhythms point more towards djent too, but I agree, they're pretty unique.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 17:46:25

Sorry for the double-post, but I'm seeing HeavenDuff label bands like Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya as djent? No wonder why you don't understand the genre.

BBS Signature

Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 18:25:07

At 6/25/12 05:46 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Sorry for the double-post, but I'm seeing HeavenDuff label bands like Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya as djent? No wonder why you don't understand the genre.

Exactly, they are progressive metal, they are not Djent.

BBS Signature