apocalypseven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 19:23:53 Reply

At 6/25/12 07:12 PM, Adio wrote:
At 6/20/12 09:54 PM, apocalypseven wrote:
Yeah they do not like Djent, they didn't even let me in.
Maybe because it's not a real genre and you're a dumb 'hardcore' tryhard for liking it

Just saying, bud.

I just listed 14 bands shithead.

" Women are dumb sheep who would rather fuck a Silverback than Einstein." - EisUndStahl

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 19:57:54 Reply

At 6/25/12 05:46 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Sorry for the double-post, but I'm seeing HeavenDuff label bands like Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya as djent? No wonder why you don't understand the genre.

Born of Osiris is a band that changed through the years and they have jumped on the Djent train like many other deathcore bands. At least make the effort of listenning to the track I have provided when discussing this band.

Born Of Osiris - Follow The Signs

Just compare this last track to a Periphery track like Icarus Lives!, they both make use of the same elements of that pseudo-genre that is Djent. But like I previously stated, Djent isn't a genre, it's an adjective or a trend. The difference between these two bands is that one band is a Deathcore band and the other is more of a mix of Progressive Metal and Mathcore.

If you want a "Djenty" Progressive Metal band...

Animals As Leaders - Weightless

And that's it. They all make use of the typical "Djent" elements, but they all have roots in different musical genres.

At 6/25/12 06:25 PM, apocalypseven wrote:
At 6/25/12 05:46 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Sorry for the double-post, but I'm seeing HeavenDuff label bands like Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya as djent? No wonder why you don't understand the genre.
Exactly, they are progressive metal, they are not Djent.

That's not what you said in your first post. And listenning to their more recent stuff, I can understand why someone would say they are Djent.

At 6/25/12 07:25 PM, Rummy0 wrote: -0---0-0--0--00--00---00--0-0-------0------00------00-------
----------------0----------------0--0------------------0----
----0----0-------0---0

DDDDDD

Thanks Rummy...

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 20:10:21 Reply

At 6/25/12 08:03 PM, Zullzee wrote: metalheads take talking about what qualifies as metal way too fucking seriously. Any style that puts an emphasis on heavy guitar riffing and is generally aggressive qualifies as metal. The only reason metalheads argue otherwise is because they desperately don't want to be associated with scene kids.

No.

Nu-Metal, Deathcore, etc can be way more brutal, agressive than actual metal.

Heavyness doesn't make you Metal. Dream Theater's Images And Words will forever be more Metal than Rammstein's Sehnsucht. What makes a band Metal or not is the composition, the song-writting, etc. Hard Rock and Nu-Metal are very capable of heavy riffing and agressive sound. In fact, Nu-Metal is pretty much just an evolution of Hard Rock toward a more agressive sound, but without the actual use of Metal Riffing.

And when it comes to Screamo and Post-Hardcore, I can't even understand why you would want to argue that it is metal...

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-25 21:18:15 Reply

At 6/25/12 08:37 PM, Zullzee wrote: Saying what makes a band metal is the composition/song-writing is a very open ended answer. Tell me what kind of song-writing specifically, and don't worry, you can get technical with your definition, I've played and practice guitar for most of my life (I won't be like "hurr, what's an aeolian mode?".)

There is really no need to get into technical definition, really.

I'll bet you couldn't make a single definition of that because the style of song-writing changes drastically between certain sub-genres, and yet you have no problem classifying those sub-genres under metal but apparently not stuff like "core" music. A deathcore band like whitechapel sounds way more like death metal then dream theater does to any one traditional metal group. What's your justification for whitechapel not falling under the umbrella of metal? Because they have breakdowns? So one thing that is "different" then what you traditionally hear in metal (slayer has a breakdown in raining blood btw) is justification for not being metal? Then Dream Theater shouldn't be anywhere near the metal since they have a bajillion different aspects to their music than I ever hear in 90% of other metal bands.

There is not just one single definition of Metal because of the sub-genres. All genres are very different so like you said, I can't just make a bold definition and try to make it fit all sub-genres. Still, all metal genres and sub-genres have evolved from another. They all have the same roots, but evolved in various directions. Thrash Metal has given birth to Black Metal and Death Metal, but both genres evolved toward something else while retainning elements of the genre that influenced them. So there was Megadeth, than Death, than Cannibal Corpse, than Benighted... This is just an example, I know there was countless bands that influenced every single of these bands, but I think you get my point. Benighted doesn't sound like Megadeth, but even in Modern Death Metal you can still find elements of early Thrash Metal.

While Deathcore seems to retain elements from Death Metal, if you look in depth you just find that Deathcore lacks everything that makes Death Metal awesome. It may be produced like Modern Death Metal, but if you look past the solos, a couple guitar leads and all the superficial elements, you just end up listenning to uninspired chugging that is more reminiscent of Groove Metal, Nu-Metal and Hard Rock. Yeah, they shred and play technical leads, but the actual rhythms, the guitar riffs of Deathcore bands are nothing like Death Metal bands riffs. Behind a wall of technical leads and a few attempts at emulating death metal riffs you find nothing but groovy chugging riffs and an incredibly simplistic structure. And that is no matter how hard they try to make their music sound chaotic and brootal. Deathcore as evolved from Groove Metal, which... to me... is hardly Metal. Groove Metal is far closer to Hard Rock than it is to metal. And like you know, Groove Metal along with Hardcore as spawned Metalcore, Deathcore and all the other "core" genres that try way too hard to be Metal again, but without actually going back to their roots. Very rarely have I seen Deathcore bands with well exploited DM elements in their sound. Between The Buried And Me, Glass Casket and Through The Eyes Of The Dead, are some of the few Deathcore bands I can and will accept as "Metal". They have retained the adventurous and experimental mind of the Death Metal genre. Their riffing involved the same intelligent song-writting needed to write good Death Metal.

You also have to admit that there are obvious differences between both genres. First, you admitted that there existed a genre named Deathcore. So you are obviously aware of the differences between both genres and the need to know them by two different names. You are probably aware that Deathcore is far less elaborate than Death Metal when it comes to song structure. Deathcore's song-writting is very formulaic and "poppish" if you understand what I mean. Eveyrthing revolves around a few powerful moments in the music, often the solos, breakdowns and technical build-ups that more often then not end up in a gargantuous breakdown. To fill the gaps between these powerful moments, you than proceed to write grovy chugging riffs usually ripped off to Suffocation. Death Metal puts emphasis on the rhythm section... the actual riffs...

apocalypseven
apocalypseven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 00:27:06 Reply

At 6/25/12 09:18 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
There is not just one single definition of Metal because of the sub-genres.

You know, this isn't rocket science, metal is metal, the bands I listed are obviously metal in some way, shape, or form.
Why don't you cut the shit and stop writing all this propaganda, why do you hate Djent so much? Hmm????

Well I will tell you why, because the Djent artists are stealing all your Doom Metal fans. That's why you didn't let me in.

" Women are dumb sheep who would rather fuck a Silverback than Einstein." - EisUndStahl

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 00:47:04 Reply

At 6/26/12 12:27 AM, apocalypseven wrote: You know, this isn't rocket science, metal is metal, the bands I listed are obviously metal in some way, shape, or form.
Why don't you cut the shit and stop writing all this propaganda, why do you hate Djent so much? Hmm????

And why don't you shut the fuck up and read ? I haven't said a single fucking time that I disliked Djent. But you seem to have more shit then brains in the head.

Well I will tell you why, because the Djent artists are stealing all your Doom Metal fans. That's why you didn't let me in.

I haven't said anything about Doom Metal either. You don't know shit about me and my tastes, yet you accuse me of anything and everything. And why the fuck are you still trying to get into an immature fight with me ? I have to admit it's freakin funny though. You can't really believe that Djent bands are stealing Doom Metal's audience. Both genres are total opposites. Obviously, their audiences are also total opposites. And why do you think I care about my favorite bands popularity ? If I was dumb enough to believe the amount of fans was any important to judge the value of a band or artist, I'd be listenning to crap like Lil' Wayne or Justin Bieber.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 01:20:46 Reply

And seriously, from this point on... let's try saving this thread from being locked. If all our discussions end up with "My music is better than yours!" we are just asking for the thread to get locked.

Listenning to Djent, I can't help but think about a trend in Metal, more specificaly Technical Death Metal. Everybody gets heavier, more brutal and we play even more technical stuff. But there is something in both Djent and Tech Death that seems to have become a trend. Riffs are very tight, we try to get a more metalic and cold sound. Science, technologies, the future, science-fiction, etc are themes exploited a lot in both genres and the general feeling of the music fits perfectly with these themes.

I've been a fan of the Progressive Metalcore band The Human Abstract for quite a while now. And with the release of their album Digital Veil, I feel they have taken influences from this trend.

apocalypseven
apocalypseven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 01:23:54 Reply

Why are you getting so defensive posting essays on this thread? Why are you even here, shouldn't you be in your own club? No need to get mad.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 01:36:53 Reply

At 6/26/12 01:23 AM, apocalypseven wrote: Why are you getting so defensive posting essays on this thread? Why are you even here, shouldn't you be in your own club? No need to get mad.

You attacked me three times already since the creation of the thread and you accuse me of getting defensive ? Damn you're dumb...

apocalypseven
apocalypseven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 03:40:20 Reply

At 6/26/12 01:36 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
You attacked me three times already since the creation of the thread and you accuse me of getting defensive ? Damn you're dumb...

Now your putting words in my mouth, I did not attack you, I did not attack the Metal Hell forum, I started my own club, and you came here and acted like a buffoon.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 08:08:16 Reply

At 6/25/12 08:44 PM, Zullzee wrote:
At 6/25/12 08:14 PM, Rummy0 wrote: Crying
Your post reeks of butt-hurt. Cry some more weeaboo.

lol youre mad because you cant take the truth

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 12:45:46 Reply

At 6/25/12 08:14 PM, Rummy0 wrote: bitching about deathcore, scene kids etc.

Remind me what that has to do with the subject at hand. And your post of tabs involving an open chord really don't determine whether a genre can exist or not. I mean fuck, look at Green Day, you tab that shit out and it equates to one major chord progression with other power chord progressions acting as leads.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature
ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 12:47:58 Reply

At 6/26/12 01:36 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 6/26/12 01:23 AM, apocalypseven wrote: Why are you getting so defensive posting essays on this thread? Why are you even here, shouldn't you be in your own club? No need to get mad.

Double post again, but you still being in this thread actually validates my reasoning for the Metal Hell consisting of assholes. You told the kid to get out of your club, so he left and made his own. Yet you guys still come to his club and harass him and tell him he's wrong and can't like certain music because it sucks?

I'm not quite understanding your reasoning in saying you guys aren't assholes.

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 14:24:51 Reply

funny how theres all this bullshit arguing about what bands qualify as metal and what dont, yet nobody can even fucking give a precise definition of what metal is.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 15:26:55 Reply

At 6/26/12 12:47 PM, ToastedCupcake wrote: Double post again, but you still being in this thread actually validates my reasoning for the Metal Hell consisting of assholes. You told the kid to get out of your club, so he left and made his own. Yet you guys still come to his club and harass him and tell him he's wrong and can't like certain music because it sucks?

I can't believe this fucking place... We never told the kid to leave the club, but rather to list more obvious metal bands and avoid those who are tied to the core subgenres, just to make sure he would fit in with the group when we discuss music. And now stick this up your fucking shit-brain... I NEVER SAID HE WAS WRONG FOR LIKING DJENT.

There is a major contradiction going on in here. You and OP keep bringing this same stupid shit to the table, but never yet have you quoted any part where I tell you it's wrong to like Djent. Why come to a forum if you can't read two fucking paragraphs and still complain like a fucking douche.

I'm not quite understanding your reasoning in saying you guys aren't assholes.

By not reading my posts and judging me anyway isn't the behavior of an asshole... right...

At 6/26/12 02:24 PM, DeIirium wrote: funny how theres all this bullshit arguing about what bands qualify as metal and what dont, yet nobody can even fucking give a precise definition of what metal is.

Alright then, Reggeaton is now Metal.

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 15:29:08 Reply

Back on topic, here is an awesome 'Djent' styled band.

Ovid's Withering

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
apocalypseven
apocalypseven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 16:51:11 Reply

At 6/26/12 03:29 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: Back on topic, here is an awesome 'Djent' styled band.

Ovid's Withering

Awesome, I like the keyboard layers.

BBS Signature
ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-26 17:21:21 Reply

Absent Distance and
Modern Day Babylon are also pretty awesome bands.

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-27 03:46:08 Reply

I only heard the term djent for the first time two days ago, but I ended up finding it through the band The Contortionist, which I haven't heard mentioned in this thread yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GGPFioA8Wc

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

apocalypseven
apocalypseven
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-27 13:44:14 Reply

This one is interesting, it has clean vocals over it, and a cool sound.

Being

BBS Signature
Shmokko
Shmokko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-30 08:34:54 Reply

Here is a band that i like. They are kinda new to the scene, but still manages to adapt to the style very nicely.

MESHUGGAH

Seriously, no one has mentioned Meshuggah in this thread yet. Djent is a specific guitar tone combined with a specific picking technique, not a genre itself.
Periphery: Progressive metal/metalcore. Djenty tone
Bring me the Horizon: Deathcore, not progressive at all. Still got djent
Meshuggah: Progressive/ post-thrash. The inventors of djent.

OP is fucking ineducated. You have to turn down the gain to make your guitar go "Djent".

Feel free to check out my songs. Mostly Metal stuff
New Song April 2013

Tobi
Tobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-30 09:10:43 Reply

At 6/30/12 08:34 AM, Shmokko wrote: Seriously, no one has mentioned Meshuggah in this thread yet.

I did, but I called them Shug, because I was tired and couldn't be assed to spell it all/

OP is fucking ineducated. You have to turn down the gain to make your guitar go "Djent".

This. Also I just learned "ineducated" was a real word.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-30 12:35:21 Reply

At 6/30/12 09:10 AM, Tobi wrote:

Wait, I thought you kept the gain medium to high, but boosted mids way up?

Kytraal
Kytraal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-30 18:00:22 Reply

Electronic slam djent or whatever if it is djenty enough

Shmokko
Shmokko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-30 22:39:54 Reply

At 6/30/12 06:00 PM, Kytraal wrote: Electronic slam djent or whatever if it is djenty enough

This is some badass shit, although it's not djenty at all. They actually play tight, which is rather uncommon for this type of stuff (slam).

I will try to contribute to this thread, instead of just ranting.

Vildhjarta
I loved their demos and EPs, but their debut was a HUGE disappointment. They had this ambient vibe going, but then they decided to include not one, but two vocalists to ruin their album.

New Song April 2013

Shmokko
Shmokko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-06-30 22:47:33 Reply

At 6/30/12 12:35 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 6/30/12 09:10 AM, Tobi wrote:
Wait, I thought you kept the gain medium to high, but boosted mids way up?

Sorry for double post. Yes, that is accurate. It is all about getting as much twang out of your amp as possible, but still keeping it distorted. What i ment by "turning down the gain" is that a lot of the deathcore bands that jums on the djent bandwagon has to turn down the gain knob a few notches from their former br00talz breakdowz tone to get djent.

New Song April 2013

Kytraal
Kytraal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-07-01 06:58:44 Reply

At 6/30/12 10:39 PM, Shmokko wrote: Vildhjarta
I loved their demos and EPs, but their debut was a HUGE disappointment. They had this ambient vibe going, but then they decided to include not one, but two vocalists to ruin their album.

Any recommendations except Meshuggah and Vildhjarta's early stuff?

Shmokko
Shmokko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-07-01 08:58:23 Reply

At 7/1/12 06:58 AM, Kytraal wrote:
At 6/30/12 10:39 PM, Shmokko wrote: Vildhjarta
Any recommendations except Meshuggah and Vildhjarta's early stuff?

Well, i know about a lot of bands, but i seem to dislike most of the deathcore bands that has adapted the style.

Textures - Storm Warning I really like this album. They actually remind me of Pantera at times

After the Burial - A Vicious Reforming Of Features I dont really like this band, but this album was actually pretty good.

Northlane - Dispossession They gt some good grooves going, but i don't prefer this kind of songwriting. I dont like the vocals either, but i belive this band is worth mentioning ITT.

Volumes - Wormholes Same for this.

New Song April 2013

ToastedCupcake
ToastedCupcake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Djent Club 2012-07-01 17:23:23 Reply

At 6/30/12 10:39 PM, Shmokko wrote: I loved their demos and EPs, but their debut was a HUGE disappointment. They had this ambient vibe going, but then they decided to include not one, but two vocalists to ruin their album.

Debut album is the fucking bee's knees, I completely disagree.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Djent Club 2012-07-02 03:35:18 Reply

At 6/30/12 06:00 PM, Kytraal wrote: Electronic slam djent or whatever if it is djenty enough

Well, that's weird. I'll dig around for more of their stuff.