Be a Supporter!

Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness!

  • 783 Views
  • 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 04:20 AM Reply

Hey NG peeps. Mmmm peeps....such sugary goodness.

Anyway, I'm not new to NG. Used to watch it before Youtube existed, but I am however new to submitting art. I always post my art on deviantart here but thought I'd share some of my best work from that account onto this website.

No I haven't been scouted yet and yes I'm perfectly aware of the rules that you can't ask anywhere for a scout so I'm merely just pointing out a statement of fact.

And yes I posted 4 pictures thus far.

I do a variety of different fan-arts including OC (original character) work. My current binge is Bleach, but sometimes I get in the mood to draw other things.

Like for instance DBZ :P

If you guys like what you see then I'll continue to post my best works here to share for your fappi--I mean viewing pleasure.

Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness!

Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 04:21 AM Reply

Oops sorry guys. website is DragonKeeper333.deviantart.com

Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 04:23 AM Reply

And another.

Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness!

Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 04:25 AM Reply

Last one I'll show in this thread. Feel free to ask any questions :)

Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness!

LegolaSS
LegolaSS
  • Member since: May. 29, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 54
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 05:20 AM Reply

how many of these were done from scratch with no reference?...

if the answer is what i think it is ((none of them)) then would you be able to post something you did from scratch?


BBS Signature
Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 01:42 PM Reply

At 6/20/12 05:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote: how many of these were done from scratch with no reference?...

if the answer is what i think it is ((none of them)) then would you be able to post something you did from scratch?

Dude, define reference cuz I don't know an artist alive out there that doesn't use a reference. References are used either for angle....pose....anatomy...texture...or lighting perspective etc etc. It's rare that an artist is able to draw something from them head and have it come out super accurate. Most artists, such as myself, can not draw something unless it's right in front of them to see. I'm a very visual person. It's how I roll. If I've drawn an anime, for instance, enough times for some odd years, I can usually remember the style of it enough to actually draw stuff from my head without looking at anything.

Someone has offered to scout me however, so its all good. The closest thing I can show you is a few paintings I did back in the day when I did actual oil painting.

http://dragonkeeper333.deviantart.com/art/Love-s-Reflection-
10392976

and

http://dragonkeeper333.deviantart.com/art/City-of-the-Night-
10392915

I used references of course to do the paintings since I had to look at something in order to duplicate what I was seeing, but there's no way to trace/copy and paste etc etc a painting done on a canvas. This was done back in 2004 too.

There's a few other things I can show you that was hand drawn on a white board out of shear boredom during a perspective class. Should give you a good laugh.

http://dragonkeeper333.deviantart.com/art/DragonBoard-Z-3-13 2042860 http://dragonkeeper333.deviantart.com/art/DragonBoard-Z-2-13 2042757 (I drew Piccolo while my classmate draw Gohan) http://dragonkeeper333.deviantart.com/art/DragonBoard-Z-1-13 2042736

*shrugs* If you still question the legitimacy of my drawings than that's fine. But you're not going to get much that's hand sketched straight out of my head. I have to see it in front of me. Just how it is :)

Generations1st
Generations1st
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Filmmaker
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote:
At 6/20/12 05:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote: how many of these were done from scratch with no reference?...

if the answer is what i think it is ((none of them)) then would you be able to post something you did from scratch?

He wasn't trying to offend you, he was just asking what original work have you done yourself..
I consider this a friendly feedback or request.

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Dude, define reference cuz I don't know an artist alive out there that doesn't use a reference.

Well then it pleases me that i am the first.

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: References are used either for angle....pose....anatomy...texture...or lighting perspective etc etc. It's rare that an artist is able to draw something from them head and have it come out super accurate.

That's an insult not only to me, but to other artist on this forum, i've seen some FANTASTIC work on here, and yes it's a style they used from their own initiative, without needing a reference.. I think you forget that "reference" and "inspiration", are 2 separate things..
You do not need to look at Anime to get pose Lighting Texture or even the Anatomy, this is quite simply not true,
I myself use real people to capture poses and angels, photographs work perfect for me..

A reference doesn't need to be something visual, the definition of a reference can relate from something you have read, it can be an experience in yours or someone else life, it can be just about anything, this will help your mind reflect, and produce the ultimate image for your own fiction or fantasy..

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Most artists, such as myself, can not draw something unless it's right in front of them to see. I'm a very visual person. It's how I roll. If I've drawn an anime, for instance, enough times for some odd years, I can usually remember the style of it enough to actually draw stuff from my head without looking at anything.

You would probably be right, but that doesn't define what an artist is, to rely on an image which has already been produced, is quite simply mimicking it doesn't show skill it just shows good coordination.

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Someone has offered to scout me however, so its all good.

Your pointless bragging isn't necessary, nor dose it make you any better respecting the feedback,
we know you like anime, I like anime too, but to take an idea that's already been done, has no meaning
unless it's just typical fan art.


BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

Drawing with or without a reference means absolutely NOTHING.

A reference is just a tool to help you learn and portray your art. It is used when people dont have the time to master the various textures and qualities. Or when someone requests a specific drawing drawn by you and want pinpoint accuracy.

There are plenty of artists who draw without reference, the more skilled ones draw with reference because they are simply asked to. That doesn't mean they are not capable of drawing without.

Drawing without reference is a more difficult process because you have to go off imagination to create the details. But if you dont have a good understanding of details based off various photos and studies you have done. Then you wont have details.

There is TONS OF ART that is magnificient. That CANNOT be drawn with any sort of reference.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 03:20 PM Reply

Oh yea and why do you care so much about being scouted?

Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 04:10 AM Reply

Um, why are you guys getting so defensive? O_o When I responded I wasn't offended. I was just simply surprised, but you guys are acting like using a reference is a bad thing and its not. Every artist works differently whether they use a reference or not. It doesn't define them, it just simply means they're visual artists. Some of the most famous artists back in history used live subjects for reference as their paintings. It's a commonality. *shrugs*

No need to get huffy :) There was no offense intended. Trust me, if I wanted to be a dick asshole there would be a shit ton more I would say to be an ass, but I wasn't trying to be just fyi.

Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 04:13 AM Reply

Also I'd like that add that, at least for me personally, I use references for anatomy, style of the art (since I'm mainly a fan-artist), the character's design (unless its my own OC), pose, and background, but otherwise I do my own coloring technique and details added. I don't need references in particular to light and shadow, clothing wrinkles and folds etc etc. I'm familiar with those types of subjects enough to just do my own thing, but otherwise everything else I use references for.

Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 04:22 AM Reply

At 6/20/12 02:52 PM, Generations1st wrote:
At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote:
At 6/20/12 05:20 AM, LegolaSS wrote: how many of these were done from scratch with no reference?...

if the answer is what i think it is ((none of them)) then would you be able to post something you did from scratch?
He wasn't trying to offend you, he was just asking what original work have you done yourself..
I consider this a friendly feedback or request.

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Dude, define reference cuz I don't know an artist alive out there that doesn't use a reference.
Well then it pleases me that i am the first.

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: References are used either for angle....pose....anatomy...texture...or lighting perspective etc etc. It's rare that an artist is able to draw something from them head and have it come out super accurate.
That's an insult not only to me, but to other artist on this forum, i've seen some FANTASTIC work on here, and yes it's a style they used from their own initiative, without needing a reference.. I think you forget that "reference" and "inspiration", are 2 separate things..
You do not need to look at Anime to get pose Lighting Texture or even the Anatomy, this is quite simply not true,
I myself use real people to capture poses and angels, photographs work perfect for me..

A reference doesn't need to be something visual, the definition of a reference can relate from something you have read, it can be an experience in yours or someone else life, it can be just about anything, this will help your mind reflect, and produce the ultimate image for your own fiction or fantasy..

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Most artists, such as myself, can not draw something unless it's right in front of them to see. I'm a very visual person. It's how I roll. If I've drawn an anime, for instance, enough times for some odd years, I can usually remember the style of it enough to actually draw stuff from my head without looking at anything.
You would probably be right, but that doesn't define what an artist is, to rely on an image which has already been produced, is quite simply mimicking it doesn't show skill it just shows good coordination.

At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Someone has offered to scout me however, so its all good.
Your pointless bragging isn't necessary, nor dose it make you any better respecting the feedback,
we know you like anime, I like anime too, but to take an idea that's already been done, has no meaning
unless it's just typical fan art.

Man you guys seriously need to chill. Jesus. I have to disagree with you on a few things however. For me as a fan-artist. The main reasons I use references in regards to poses and angles is mainly to stick to the style of the art as much as possible. Hence the entire reason to call it "fan" art because I'm mimicking the style. I want to stick as close as possible to how a character is drawn in every angle possible. You can use a screenshot for reference for a particular pose and or angle without actually re-drawing it entirely. An artist can use it as a basic visual, but add their own details etc etc.

What defines an artist is too debatable to even bother debating about. As I used to say at the art institute, "art is everything and art is nothing."

Art is so subjective that there really isn't a point to trying to define it in any particular way. Sure you can have genres of different types of art, but even then people still try to argue the definitions of the genres. So if you feel if you feel that using an image as reference doesn't show any skill then that's your personal opinion :) How is doing a painting of a rose any different? It's simply mimicking something that has already been produced (naturally in this case) either by photograph or by nature. It's the same concept so again, I disagree with your statement.

Secondly, I wasn't bragging. I was mainly stating a fact. Actually I wasn't expecting to get scouted so quickly. I was just pointing it out so that if someone DID want to scout me, they wouldn't have to waste their time sending an invite. *shrugs* Christ...so defensive. Geeze. I wasn't bragging at all lol.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 6/21/12 04:22 AM, Dracomancer wrote:

The main reasons I use references in regards to poses and angles is mainly to stick to the style of the art as much as possible. Hence the entire reason to call it "fan" art because I'm mimicking the style.

Actually, that's my biggest gripe when it comes to fan art. Fan art is about the subject matter, not the style that it is drawn in, and everyone just does the same old carbon copy stuff and it just all looks the same, boring and bland.
I prefer it more when an artist does fan art but in their own style, that way it adds an something fresh to the pictures that we see. There are many artists around here who do that.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Member since: Aug. 8, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 6/20/12 04:20 AM, Dracomancer wrote: No I haven't been scouted yet and yes I'm perfectly aware of the rules that you can't ask anywhere for a scout so I'm merely just pointing out a statement of fact.

And yes I posted 4 pictures thus far.
At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Someone has offered to scout me however, so its all good.

That's nice.

Don't side-step round the "Don't ask to be scouted" rule by subtley hinting to it.
That's taking the piss.
I've pruned you (since Decky should know better), but with any luck you'll be picked up again.


BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

....mum.....me........um.....
ok got it,
I know the soltion to this trread.
less bullshit, and poast moar arts!


Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Dracomancer
Dracomancer
  • Member since: Oct. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:05 AM Reply

At 6/21/12 10:09 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 6/21/12 04:22 AM, Dracomancer wrote:
The main reasons I use references in regards to poses and angles is mainly to stick to the style of the art as much as possible. Hence the entire reason to call it "fan" art because I'm mimicking the style.

Actually, that's my biggest gripe when it comes to fan art. Fan art is about the subject matter, not the style that it is drawn in, and everyone just does the same old carbon copy stuff and it just all looks the same, boring and bland.
I prefer it more when an artist does fan art but in their own style, that way it adds an something fresh to the pictures that we see. There are many artists around here who do that.

Again that's extremely subjective. That's maybe how you see it, but again I beg to differ as I'm sure many other fan-artists would beg to differ. What makes an anime unique is the very style of it. A style can refer both to the coloring technique and the drawing technique. And there's so many anime out there with so many different styles to the point it floors me that each and every one has its own unique way of being drawn and still somehow be different from other animes. DBZ has a very iconic style and so does Bleach.

Every artist has a style. A "style" is what defines the uniqueness. This concept applies to the graphic design industry as well since a company has a "brand" that they identify themselves with. Their brand is the "style" of their image from the colors they use down to the typeface they choose for the letters.

Yes its great if an artist decides to put their own spin on an existing character. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with that, but if an artist mimics the style of the anime, that doesn't make it any less of a fanart.

At 6/21/12 10:26 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 6/20/12 04:20 AM, Dracomancer wrote: No I haven't been scouted yet and yes I'm perfectly aware of the rules that you can't ask anywhere for a scout so I'm merely just pointing out a statement of fact.

And yes I posted 4 pictures thus far.
At 6/20/12 01:42 PM, Dracomancer wrote: Someone has offered to scout me however, so its all good.
That's nice.

Don't side-step round the "Don't ask to be scouted" rule by subtley hinting to it.
That's taking the piss.
I've pruned you (since Decky should know better), but with any luck you'll be picked up again.

*shrugs* alright. Fair enough.

At 6/21/12 12:12 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: ....mum.....me........um.....
ok got it,
I know the soltion to this trread.
less bullshit, and poast moar arts!

omg I know right? What a way to welcome a new member to the artist part of the website.

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 6/22/12 03:05 AM, Dracomancer wrote: Yes its great if an artist decides to put their own spin on an existing character. That's fine. There's nothing wrong with that, but if an artist mimics the style of the anime, that doesn't make it any less of a fanart.

Oh, I'm not saying that if you completely replicate the style that it makes it any less of a fanart, but if all you do is completely copy it, you're not going to take much away from it other than learning how to copy things.
At some point you need to break away from copying what other artists do if you wish to learn more and grow in your abilities :)

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Member since: May. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:51 PM Reply

sharing my opinion is just as much of a fyi as you posting your own.

I understand people draw from references and same with professional and great artists. But some of them also draw without. Drawing without a reference is simply more difficult then drawing with one. Because when you have a reference and a question as to how something 'should' look you can refer back to your oringinal drawing.

Also, all because you have references does not indicate wether or not you have to actually draw the exact image you are referring too.

But your right, it depends on what type of artist you want to be and how you want to portray your work. But the people who designed and created those charecters for manga's and anime's at one point or another had to stray away from references to come up with "oringinal work". Just saying.

I was not offended the least bit by anything you posted. Im still curious why you care so much about a scout.

Spamazon
Spamazon
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Dracomancer's Art Postage-Ness! Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:30 PM Reply

You shouldn't be defensive, the people in this forum are giving you some really good advice.

It's pretty common to just replicate pictures from anime and manga when you first begin drawing, I did the same thing when I started out, but honestly it doesn't really help you develop as an artist and more importantly it's really boring. Nobody really cares that you can perfectly replicate a picture of Rorschach, they'd rather look at the original source than a knock-off. And as far as learning anatomy goes, anime contains a lot of exaggerated or just plain inaccurate proportions so looking at photos of real people for references is for more advisable.

Besides that, your work completely lacks imagination! It literally tells me nothing about you. Even fanart can give you insight into the artist. Maybe you should take a gander at the Skill vs imagination thread for more on that though.