Be a Supporter!

This is what i can't stand

  • 3,096 Views
  • 93 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
This is what i can't stand Jun. 18th, 2012 @ 11:36 PM Reply

linky
so Adidas makes a pair of shoes with rubber shackles on it, with the slogan, "Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?"

sounds harmless right?

No, the black community jumps up in arms screaming about it reminds them of slavery and called it racist. Of course, Adidas cancels the shoe, probably costing them a fortune.

seriously? how many people alive today had shackles around their ankles and were enslaved? anyone? didn't think so. This whole "cry slavery when we don't like something" thing has gone on long enough. The Civil War ended in 1865. no one alive was working on a slave plantation.

when is the black community going to come join the rest of us in the 21st century? It irritates me to no end when people stomp their feet and scream about being reminded of something they've never experienced. when is the black community going to stop hiding behind an issue that hasn't been an issue for almost 147 years?

Should I, as the descendent of 3 Irish grandparents cry and scream every time something that smacks of British culture comes my way? should I demand that coverage of the British Royal Family no longer be aired on tv because I find it offensive?

Of course not. I don't like in Ireland and I don't live in the 1600s when Irish were being solves as slaves in Britain!

My point is, the blacks in America will N-E-V-E-R grow as a people as long as they cling to slavery, cling to their "black heritage" and view white people as their former masters who they should resent. Biggest problem is you got the poverty masterminds like Jesse Jackson keep pumping it into their heads poisoning their minds with hate and keeping them down. They need a strong leader to stand up and say, "To hell with this, we're going the wrong way, we need to educate our children, ditch the vulgar music, and rise up in the world!" will it happen? I'm not holding my breath. there's a LOT of money to be made in keeping the black community down and making them believe that its "the man" "the system" "whitey" or some other semifictional entity making sure they stay at the bottom.

Why is there an disproportionate amount of black men in prison? It's simple. If you embrace a subculture that glorifies being a criminal, glorifies drugs, promiscuity, drinking, among other degenerate activities, it's going to happen.

I'll put it like this. people once believed that the earth was flat and the sun revolved around the earth. why? because that's what they grew up being taught. as such, when you grow up listening to garbage like this, this, and this yeah, I suppose you WOULD think doing such things is OK and its just "the man" keeping you down.

call me racist, hateful, bigot, i don't care. I'm just saying what needs to be said. hell, lock this topic if you so please, if you're so scared of someone crying about it. Every time someone backs down when the issue of slavery or racism is brought up, it only empowers such thinking and crying. Once people begin stepping up and saying, "No it's not racist. It's stupid, it gaudy, but it's not racist." Maybe they'll learn to look twice before screaming Slavery and Racist every time they see something they don't like.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 18th, 2012 @ 11:52 PM Reply

I bet there's going to be a lot of people blaming the past and how blacks used to have fucked up shit, while glossing over every other group that went through fucked up shit, and a complete overlooking of personal responsibility.


All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
Prinzy2
Prinzy2
  • Member since: Dec. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 12:20 AM Reply

That attitude irks me immensely. I've been to Africa, specifically South Sudan, and believe me the "African-Americans" have it infinitely better than if they had never been touched. I agree that slavery is a horrible practice and I'm glad we don't have it in Canada and the US. But if the ends justify the means then the black community should stop playing the victim and acknowledge that slavery may have worked out in their favor in this instance.

What exactly does the black community want America to do as reparations for enslaving them once upon a time?


Sig by triplenoob

BBS Signature
Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 12:28 AM Reply

At 6/18/12 11:36 PM, Korriken wrote: linky
so Adidas makes a pair of shoes with rubber shackles on it, with the slogan, "Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?"

sounds harmless right?

No, the black community

ok stop right there. why do you have to categorize the entire "black community" to these few fringe hypersensitive people? who the hell cares what MsRodwell from bumblefuck, usa thinks? it's not like there was a massive social movement within the black community as a whole that forced adidas from pulling the shoes; they did it of the own accord to minimize potentially bad PR. it wasnt under pressure from activist; the fact that they pulled it before it potentially became a larger issue tells me that adidas didnt even think that this wasnt a large enough market to begin with. i mean seriously who would buy those things? i'm willing to bet they were looking for an excuse to pull it to begin with. if they seriously thought this was going to be a hit in the sneaker stores they wouldnt have pulled it based on what some random idiots on nikekicks.com said. this is a non issue and a fluff article being made into something it's not.

Angry-Hatter
Angry-Hatter
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 12:46 AM Reply

At 6/18/12 11:36 PM, Korriken wrote: Of course, Adidas cancels the shoe, probably costing them a fortune.

First of all, I would think that a product design that causes such an outcry among the product's target demographic wouldn't really be all that profitable. Second of all, those are some ugly ass shoes. I don't exactly see them flying off the shelves even without all the uproar over the design.

seriously? how many people alive today had shackles around their ankles and were enslaved? anyone? didn't think so. This whole "cry slavery when we don't like something" thing has gone on long enough. The Civil War ended in 1865. no one alive was working on a slave plantation.

The Civil War ended in 1865, and blacks and whites have been equal ever since. You don't think that putting ankle shackles on a product aimed towards black people holds any kind of symbolic value? Also, why do you have to have experienced slavery to feel offended by its symbolism? So by your count, it's only another 80 or so years left until Jews can't complain when Nike makes sneakers with the phrase "Work Sets You Free" printed on them because hey, nobody you ever knew died in Auschwitz. That was like, more than a century ago, get over it, man.

Should I, as the descendent of 3 Irish grandparents cry and scream every time something that smacks of British culture comes my way? should I demand that coverage of the British Royal Family no longer be aired on tv because I find it offensive?

Not the same, because we're talking about symbolism here, and the British royal family is more than just a symbol of Irish oppression. Shackles represent little else than bondage.

My point is, the blacks in America will N-E-V-E-R grow as a people as long as they cling to slavery, cling to their "black heritage" and view white people as their former masters who they should resent. Biggest problem is you got the poverty masterminds like Jesse Jackson keep pumping it into their heads poisoning their minds with hate and keeping them down. They need a strong leader to stand up and say, "To hell with this, we're going the wrong way, we need to educate our children, ditch the vulgar music, and rise up in the world!" will it happen? I'm not holding my breath. there's a LOT of money to be made in keeping the black community down and making them believe that its "the man" "the system" "whitey" or some other semifictional entity making sure they stay at the bottom.

Racism against black people in society is just a figment of imagination, gotcha.

Why is there an disproportionate amount of black men in prison? It's simple. If you embrace a subculture that glorifies being a criminal, glorifies drugs, promiscuity, drinking, among other degenerate activities, it's going to happen.

Aaaah, that explains everything. Gosh, for a second there I thought there was some kind of bias in the justice system that somehow arrests more black people, convicts more black people in court, and gives harsher sentences to black people. I mean, that would mean that studies such as this one which have found that although blacks and whites use drugs at basically the same rate blacks get prosecuted and sentenced for drug use at a grossly disproportionate rate, must have gotten it all completely backwards! It's actually RAP MUSIC that is the problem. Glad you cleared that up for everyone.

call me racist, hateful, bigot, i don't care.

Would you mind very much if I called you stupid instead?


Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

ExecutiveCube
ExecutiveCube
  • Member since: Jun. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 02:04 AM Reply

I've thought about this many many times before. African-Americans (If I should use the PC term) should really drop the whole slavery thing. Seriously. And I'm not being in-sensitive. If someone was enslaved in recent times (Which I highly doubt) I would give them all the sympathy and special treatment in the world. But when I hear an African-American (And I'm not grouping black people all together, I'm just saying any one in particular) cry about slavery I think to myself, "Really? You haven't even experienced it." Now theres a HUGE difference when it comes to a 50-60-70 year old black guy who experienced racial prejudice and the horrors that came with that during the times of extreme racism and seperate facilities, ect, But when a young black kid from school who has never experienced prejudice in his ENTIRE life complains, It just sets me off.

Now lets see if I can make this personal. Lets say my white father was somehow beaten and discriminated against horribly when he was a child, and told me his tales. (Alternate reality.) I may be sort of angry towards those who did it, But 40 years later at my current age I would be happy that I never had to experience about it and I still wouldn't harbor hate towards something that seemed SLIGHTLY insensitive. (Something similar to those shoes.) I kind of went off into a seperate discussion, with modern instances of racism, 50's,60's, but same thing really.

ExecutiveCube
ExecutiveCube
  • Member since: Jun. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 02:08 AM Reply

And also! I read the statement by Jesse Jackson. Really? He's going to say that the designer PURPOSEFULLY designed the shoe because he was a RACIST who supported SLAVERY and wanted to popularize that idea? And he is somehow appalled at how slavery is being popularized and people just totally dig it basically. Are you joking me? That take on this is almost as ludicrus as statements made by ignorant racist people that he tries to combat!

Dogbert581
Dogbert581
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 04:44 AM Reply

I get what you mean, about 7 years ago the British government apologised for Britain's role in the slave trade, and I remember thinking 'Why? There is nobody alive today who took part in the slave trade and needs to apologise. Nobody who directly profited from the slave trade is still alive, and nobody who suffered because of the slave trade is still alive'

Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 06:59 AM Reply

At 6/19/12 12:46 AM, Angry-Hatter wrote:
First of all, I would think that a product design that causes such an outcry among the product's target demographic wouldn't really be all that profitable. Second of all, those are some ugly ass shoes. I don't exactly see them flying off the shelves even without all the uproar over the design.

I've actually seen worse, and dumber. Also, never underestimate the power of celebrity endorsement. This could have been the dumbest fashion craze in years if they paid the right person to endorse it.

The Civil War ended in 1865, and blacks and whites have been equal ever since.

equal? no. enslaved still? not legally.

You don't think that putting ankle shackles on a product aimed towards black people holds any kind of symbolic value?

no not really. not to anyone still alive.

Also, why do you have to have experienced slavery to feel offended by its symbolism?

i'll counter this question with a question. what constitutes symbolism of slavery?

So by your count, it's only another 80 or so years left until Jews can't complain when Nike makes sneakers with the phrase "Work Sets You Free" printed on them because hey, nobody you ever knew died in Auschwitz. That was like, more than a century ago, get over it, man.

works for me. while it's important to remember history, crying about it every time someone puts out something that you can misconstrue as a symbol of the plight of someone whose been dead for 100 years is asinine in my book.

Not the same, because we're talking about symbolism here, and the British royal family is more than just a symbol of Irish oppression. Shackles represent little else than bondage.

but yet it is a symbol of irish oppression. Difference is, the Irish that came to America moved on and worked itself into the system. Was the Irish mistreated in America? Yes. were the Irish discriminated against? Yes. Did the Irish sit around bitching about the man keeping him down? No.



Racism against black people in society is just a figment of imagination, gotcha.

There is racism against all people, not just blacks. I've been discriminated again for being white on more than 1 occasion. Of course, it's impossible to discriminate against the 'majority', right? You see the Mexicans crying about

Aaaah, that explains everything. Gosh, for a second there I thought there was some kind of bias in the justice system that somehow arrests more black people, convicts more black people in court, and gives harsher sentences to black people. I mean, that would mean that studies such as this one which have found that although blacks and whites use drugs at basically the same rate blacks get prosecuted and sentenced for drug use at a grossly disproportionate rate, must have gotten it all completely backwards! It's actually RAP MUSIC that is the problem. Glad you cleared that up for everyone.

Drug use convictions, one thing among the thousands that gets someone arrested. let's not focus on the robberies, murder, rape, assault, and other crimes.

a good bit of that also has to go with gang related activity, which also shows a disproportionate amount of latinos and blacks, as compared to whites.

Also, despite 'whitey' making up the bulk of America's population, blacks are on par with them for homicides

Carjackings, 56% black.

I could go on with this but my time grows short.

Would you mind very much if I called you stupid instead?

only if I can call you a sarcastic prick.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Member since: Dec. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Writer
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 09:39 AM Reply

I don't mind and the reason is that rubber shackles sounds like a major inconvenience and probably easy to trip over.

But I do agree that the whole racism thing has gone on long enough, black people don't think they're equal half the time, they think they're better than white people. Like they're entitled, which is ironic since they wanted EQUALITY!


Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 10:38 AM Reply

I don't really want to hear the tired old "black R bad. Blacks R good." conversation.

Nobody gives a fuck. This thread is about the sensitivity and the quickness with which the race card is played these days. This thread is NOT about whether blacks or whites are criminals, and it's NOT a competition to see how actually racist you can be whilst believing you're not.

This reminds me of those "It's a culture, not a costume" posters. Sure there's probably some sprinkling of racism somewhere in it, but not nearly enough to warrant taking our attention from much more important things.

Actually when I first saw the shoes, I noticed that they were shoes directed at black people. Why the fuck would anyone make a shoe that insults its target consumers? (The only place I know that can get away with that is Taco Bell. Doritos Loco Taco?! Why you no like me Taco Bell?)

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 05:36 PM Reply

It was unintentional but I can see why they'd think it's offensive. There shouldn't be much to dicuss here.

At 6/19/12 12:46 AM, Angry-Hatter wrote: The Civil War ended in 1865, and blacks and whites have been equal ever since.

........You...you're...... ok you should make this clear, you're not joking are you? Because if to you living in subordinate impoverished situation with little opportunity for advancement (due to the government itself), the white society looking down on your culture and making you feel bad for it, having to follow state codes which fine you and if you cannot pay the fine have to do forced labor (oh durr), the vast majority of your race having to go to tenant farming which leaves them in debt peonage, or then going to northern cities to meet more racism along with intolerable conditions just for a factory job, are all part of being 'equal' then I'd hate to live under you if you were a politician.

As a matter of fact whites and blacks didn't become 'equal' until the 70's and even then blacks have alot of problems mostly relating to housing and economical status that the government didn't address properly.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 11:26 PM Reply

That's always been a problem with organizations like the NAACP {who honestly, might as well be as bad as the KKK are now, just without the numerous crimes.} who have a bitchfit over something that is related to slavery, when in reality it isn't. Granted, Adidas clearly didn't think this one through, never mind the shackles, the shoes are just butt ugly to begin with, but the shackles in itself was a poor design choice, partly due to the fact that groups like the NAACP will have a bitchfit over this over a little thing like plastic shackles, and I would think that Adidas {who has deals with the NBA and players like Derrick Rose and Mario Williams.} should've known better.

It seems like Jesse Jackson is obsessed with trying to stick it to "whitey", {without saying it out loud.} after any incident that would be considered racist in some sort of twisted logic. I mean, instead of trying to help the black community with education, finding jobs and all that good stuff, he rather just find a way to stick it to the man over something that happen nearly 150 years ago, reopening and salting the wound in probably the most ignorant and petty ways. I don't know if Jackson has officially said anything about this yet, but I have a good feeling about what's he going to say as soon as he does.

I'm not trying to sound racist, but I'm getting quite tired of the so-called "mouthpieces" of the black community as a whole acting like they're entitled to something just because their great grandma was was a slave in a Georgia cotton farm or whatever, and then stick it to the white people for something that happened in 1860. There are a ton of problems within the community that I would think that they would spend more time and effort towards say, helping at-risk kids in Detroit, Cleveland, Oakland, etc. with getting an education or even a hot meal for example, but I guess it's easier to pass the blame to someone else instead of taking a long look at themselves in their own sense of undeserved entitlement.


Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 6/19/12 12:20 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: I agree that slavery is a horrible practice and I'm glad we don't have it in Canada and the US.
But hey maybe not.

How's that cognitive dissonance working out for you?

Angry-Hatter
Angry-Hatter
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Artist
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 12:42 AM Reply

At 6/19/12 05:36 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 6/19/12 12:46 AM, Angry-Hatter wrote: The Civil War ended in 1865, and blacks and whites have been equal ever since.
........You...you're...... ok you should make this clear, you're not joking are you?

Well, it wasn't a joke, strictly speaking, but I was being sarcastic. When people try to make out like the end of the Civil War was somehow the end of black oppression and everyone should just get over it because it happened so long ago, I just can't help myself.


Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 6/19/12 10:38 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
Nobody gives a fuck. This thread is about the sensitivity and the quickness with which the race card is played these days. This thread is NOT about whether blacks or whites are criminals, and it's NOT a competition to see how actually racist you can be whilst believing you're not.

at least one person got it... even though in me being 3/4th asleep I ended up going on rant, which probably shouldn't surprise anyone. WTB edit button.

Actually when I first saw the shoes, I noticed that they were shoes directed at black people. Why the fuck would anyone make a shoe that insults its target consumers? (The only place I know that can get away with that is Taco Bell. Doritos Loco Taco?! Why you no like me Taco Bell?)

If you thought that was bad, they got the chef Lorena Garcia to endorse their 'new' 'cantina bell' menu. it's slightly better than the normal stuff and a little more expensive. (i've tried the new items they're.... ok, not OMFGAWESOMEGOTTAHAVEMORE!" the typical brain-dead stoner will love it though. but i digress.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Prinzy2
Prinzy2
  • Member since: Dec. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 02:13 AM Reply

At 6/19/12 11:38 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote:
At 6/19/12 12:20 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: I agree that slavery is a horrible practice and I'm glad we don't have it in Canada and the US.
But hey maybe not.
How's that cognitive dissonance working out for you?

It's hardly cognitive dissonance. Maybe you'd like to Google something else.

It can likened to having a heart attack in the middle of a hospital when you're in your 40s, living, and making healthier changes in your life to live another 40 years.

It's lousy that it happened at all, but things worked out for the better.


Sig by triplenoob

BBS Signature
Qwazola
Qwazola
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 03:19 AM Reply

All I had to read was "black people" to know that all I can say is that black people are typically ignorant assholes and trying to change that only comes out worse.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 6/20/12 03:19 AM, Qwazola wrote: All I had to read was "black people" to know that all I can say is that black people are typically ignorant assholes and trying to change that only comes out worse.

Irony, thy name is Qwazola.

MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 12:50 PM Reply

At 6/20/12 02:13 AM, Prinzy2 wrote:
At 6/19/12 11:38 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote:
At 6/19/12 12:20 AM, Prinzy2 wrote: I agree that slavery is a horrible practice and I'm glad we don't have it in Canada and the US.
But hey maybe not.
How's that cognitive dissonance working out for you?
It's hardly cognitive dissonance. Maybe you'd like to Google something else.

Who's using Google? But yeah, not quite the right word at the time I know.

Example

Whatever you say, the ends rarely justify the means for me for anything. It's borderline revisionism/making excuses.

X-Gary-Gigax-X
X-Gary-Gigax-X
  • Member since: Dec. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Art Lover
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 03:50 PM Reply

You can't blame Adidas when they're just responding to customer demands

bismuthfeldspar
bismuthfeldspar
  • Member since: Mar. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 04:41 PM Reply

I don't see the problem with this, no one is forcing them to stop, Adidas is just responding to the laws of supply and demand and the negro is a major consumer of fancy sneakers after all.

We all have our different tastes and they are all irrational, people who get mad over perceived symbols of slavery are of least concern and there's no use getting worked up over it. Though I agree that we shouldn't blame the corporations, it's the marxists and rabble rousers who blame everything on racism and claim every tiny thing is racist who are the real problem, they're the ones telling vulnerable ethnic groups that they are downtrodden oppressed victims who can never achieve anything.

Entice
Entice
  • Member since: Jun. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 11:49 PM Reply

You had me until the part about "ditching the vulgar music".

Are you going to blame the vidya games next?

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 03:13 AM Reply

At 6/19/12 06:59 AM, Korriken wrote: but yet it is a symbol of irish oppression. Difference is, the Irish that came to America moved on and worked itself into the system. Was the Irish mistreated in America? Yes. were the Irish discriminated against? Yes. Did the Irish sit around bitching about the man keeping him down? No.

They were basically like how minorities are today, living the shittiest of conditions and forming gangs. They only rose up because Irish people well for one were white so were easier to assimilate into an equal position in society than blacks, and two they worked in the factory systems for so long they became bosses and managers. Now they did in fact go around bitching along during the 1800's such as James Blaine losing the 1884 election because of an anti-Catholic statement someone else made who happened to be a spokesman at a rally he attended. Meanwhile his opponent Grover Cleveland had fathered a child out of wedlock and had admitted it. Of we course we all know who won.


Drug use convictions, one thing among the thousands that gets someone arrested. let's not focus on the robberies, murder, rape, assault, and other crimes.

a good bit of that also has to go with gang related activity, which also shows a disproportionate amount of latinos and blacks, as compared to whites.

Also, despite 'whitey' making up the bulk of America's population, blacks are on par with them for homicides

Carjackings, 56% black.

I could go on with this but my time grows short.

So it is the fault of rap music that this is the case. I'm sorry but have you ever been to any University Campus? Because if there is one consistent feature is that they all LOVE rap (usually you don't even have to talk to anyone because there are so many goddamn advertisements all over the place), and those are the people who are going to do respectable work. The reality is, is that black people and latino's have been succeeding and rising in economic status, the problem is that those that do leave their neighborhoods to go join more prosperous towns. This means that kids in the ghetto have only other poor people or criminals to look up to. That is only one of a whole list of problems these people face. To just say "oh durr it's because of music I don't like that they're so poor" is arrogant and immature.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 05:50 AM Reply

uh yeah, yeah. damn the black community!

black people will never join the 21st century or whatever those damn black people of america.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 04:10 PM Reply

I would imagine the Jessie Jackson quote in the OP's link is the kind of thing stupid politically-minded people come out with when given a brief description of an event and asked to say something about it. In the UK he could probably be sued for slander or libel for coming out with something so fucking stupid.

It is amazing that this is controversial, but before the news story happened, I imagine if you asked a lot of black Americans what they think about the trainers, very few would have said they are offensive because they invoke slavery. Obviously people's opinions have become a little stupid on the matter because they've read all this junk about it in the media and automatically associate that garish design to slavery, when they wouldn't have beforehand.

Also, I think that one of the reasons why blacks might be over-represented in crimes of car-jacking and murder would probably because they tend to come from poorer backgrounds and live in poorer areas than whites, although I would reckon institutionalised racism in the police force and a feeling of being seperated from a racist society could also impact it.

This seems almost too obvious to write, but black people would be more likely to be poor because people live on inherited wealth, whities go to universities and become homeowners in nice areas and buy all the right textbooks because their parents have more wealth because they weren't treated as second-class citizens and had all of the employment opportunities.

And if you grow up in a poorer area, then you're more likely to be influenced by criminal values, or might think there's no point to getting a boring office job, or be less likely to give a fuck, because you've been handed fewer life chances by your rich parents and have slackers and criminals as neighbours and schoolfriends. Also your parents are poor and can't afford to go on holidays or look forwards to much and might be inclined to drink and get high to numb the pain of being the working poor (I hear that).

As to whether Afroman's Because I Got High or Shaggy's It Wasn't Me influences black people so they're more likely to get high and have promiscuous sex and therefore have an inferior sub-culture, as was argued by the OP - don't believe it in the slightest. Firstly, white people love those songs, and secondly, every good genre of music contains dirty lyrics and is cheeky and offends cultural values. Heavy metal is mainly listened to by white people and the lyrics are worse than Because I Got High. Also most of the music I listen to has obscene lyrics and it doesn't mean shit, I work 8-5 Mon-Fri and have a skilled job in an office.

Also I get high and I think black people get unfairly targeted because of the laws against cannabis and the fact that if you stop and search a young male from a poor background you'll be able to arrest them for having a prohibited substance on them quite a lot of the time and it will excuse you for racially profiling blacks.

I speak as a British man and I have heard that blacks in the south of the US are 'different' to the ethnic minorities of the UK. Also they seem fucking nuts on Maury or Cheaters or whatever. This news story is ridiculous tho and the OP seems pretty intolerant to me.

SuperDeagle
SuperDeagle
  • Member since: Feb. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 04:52 PM Reply

At 6/21/12 04:10 PM, Earfetish wrote: I speak as a British man and I have heard that blacks in the south of the US are 'different' to the ethnic minorities of the UK. Also they seem fucking nuts on Maury or Cheaters or whatever. This news story is ridiculous tho and the OP seems pretty intolerant to me.

Speaking as a person who lives in an average size town in South Carolina where the population is about 50/50 black/white, some people are just nuckin' futs. The problem I see here as far as trends go with youth where I live, you have two main outlets of rebelliousness. You either go the gangster hood route, or the redneck one. Black or white in either case, these people just don't try and have a strong case of sensationalism. They don't grow out of it is the thing.

There are tons of respectable people of any race here, the idiots just cloud them over.

Back on topic though, I think the majority of people around here would see it as a crappy shoe over slavery with a few sensitive people sprinkled in and out. Shit, I was linking this article to all my black friends to see their responses. Funny stuff.


Wut?

BBS Signature
Korriken
Korriken
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 6/21/12 04:10 PM, Earfetish wrote: I would imagine the Jessie Jackson quote in the OP's link is the kind of thing stupid politically-minded people come out with when given a brief description of an event and asked to say something about it.

its also the kind of stupid thing people like him say because it helps get donations to his "non profits" which pay him handsomely.

He's called the Race Pimp and/or Poverty Pimp for a reason. he doesn't come out and speak against "black oppression" out of the goodness of his heart. he does it because it keeps the donations rolling in, some of which ends up in his pocket. He comes out when he can get attention and speak, and never to speak against the condition of his own people.

On the surface it would seem that he is, but he isn't going to try and convince people to give up what holds them down. If he was, he would come out and publicly speak against the use of illegal substances, which keep people from getting a decent job. I doubt there is are many jobs above cashier jockey or burger flipper that you can obtain while testing positive for illegal substances. How many companies would train a heroin addict to operate a crane or a bulldozer? How many companies would hire a cocaine addict to be a financial consultant? i rest my case.


I imagine if you asked a lot of black Americans what they think about the trainers, very few would have said they are offensive because they invoke slavery.

If the right celebrity would have endorsed it before race pimps descended on it, it would have become fashionable.


Also, I think that one of the reasons why blacks might be over-represented in crimes of car-jacking and murder would probably because they tend to come from poorer backgrounds and live in poorer areas than whites, although I would reckon institutionalised racism in the police force and a feeling of being seperated from a racist society could also impact it.

Well, many countries have people that are even more poor than America's poor and they don't have such a high crime rate. Yes, statistically poor people commit more crimes, but a lot of it is culture. I could point out several things I've seen that can be attributed to culture


This seems almost too obvious to write, but black people would be more likely to be poor because people live on inherited wealth, whities go to universities and become homeowners in nice areas and buy all the right textbooks because their parents have more wealth because they weren't treated as second-class citizens and had all of the employment opportunities.

This is another problem I have with the whole racial identity setup "whites have it better! they get better everything!" yeah? then why the hell don't I have a nice pile of money sitting around to inherit? where is my free university ticket for being white? it doesn't exist. I'm white and I'm in a similar situation if not worse than many black people. What's the difference? instead of getting high, smoking, buying expensive clothes, and other wasteful habits that keep you broke, I save my money to slowly get the nice things that I like.

You ever went 4 days with no food? I have. it's not fun. eventually everything begins to look delicious.

I find it hard to take a person who smokes and is decked out in a Coogi outfit which can cost a few hundred an outfit seriously when he talks about how bad he has it. if you can afford $5 packs of smokes and $40-$70 articles of clothing, you must not have it THAT bad.

And if you grow up in a poorer area, then you're more likely to be influenced by criminal values, or might think there's no point to getting a boring office job, or be less likely to give a fuck, because you've been handed fewer life chances by your rich parents and have slackers and criminals as neighbours and schoolfriends. Also your parents are poor and can't afford to go on holidays or look forwards to much and might be inclined to drink and get high to numb the pain of being the working poor (I hear that).

As to whether Afroman's Because I Got High or Shaggy's It Wasn't Me influences black people so they're more likely to get high and have promiscuous sex and therefore have an inferior sub-culture, as was argued by the OP - don't believe it in the slightest.

oh?

Firstly, white people love those songs,

you mean these white people? I find a eerie similar subcultural similarity....

and secondly, every good genre of music contains dirty lyrics and is cheeky and offends cultural values. Heavy metal is mainly listened to by white people and the lyrics are worse than Because I Got High.

and those people tend to be just as fucked up, just in slightly different ways.

Also most of the music I listen to has obscene lyrics and it doesn't mean shit, I work 8-5 Mon-Fri and have a skilled job in an office.

*shrug* so?


Also I get high

better hope to god you don't get hurt at work.

and I think black people get unfairly targeted because of the laws against cannabis

you mean the same laws that land people of every race in jail when they get caught? right.

and the fact that if you stop and search a young male from a poor background you'll be able to arrest them for having a prohibited substance on them quite a lot of the time and it will excuse you for racially profiling blacks.

thing that a lot of people want to overlook is the face that whether you use or sell illegal substances if a personal choice. there is nothing inherent compelling anyone to do anything. If you have a fat sack of hash on you and a cop nails you with it, it's not because the cop hates you and wants you in prison. you decided to carry an illegal substance and got caught. that would be your mistake.

This news story is ridiculous tho and the OP seems pretty intolerant to me.

*shrug* think what you will, you see it on TV, I live in it. I know many many black people. Some of them are actually very decent people who work to bring their children up in the world... then you got the pop culture zombies, which make up a sizable portion of the black community. and of course popular culture does vary between race and region. Some people are so absorbed into the rappers fantasy that it's actually kind of frightening to think about. you listen to them talk and you wonder where they learned to speak like that. You later find out they're imitating a rapper.

Also Maury is as fake as Jerry Springer, maybe worse.

on that note, everyone is who they choose to be.


I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 06:56 PM Reply

this is a really sad to read thread

Earfetish
Earfetish
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to This is what i can't stand Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 6/21/12 06:17 PM, Korriken wrote: its also the kind of stupid thing people like him say because it helps get donations to his "non profits" which pay him handsomely.

Without a doubt. In the UK there are also a number of high-profile people that get paid or increase their fame by talking up racial issues.

How many companies would train a heroin addict to operate a crane or a bulldozer? How many companies would hire a cocaine addict to be a financial consultant?

Well you wouldn't hire an addict for these positions and there's a good chance an addict wouldn't apply, although an occasional user might have a shot. I hear you guys do urine tests tho.

Well, many countries have people that are even more poor than America's poor and they don't have such a high crime rate.

I know there is violent crime in the US to quite a high extent, but I have been to Eastern Europe - perhaps comparitively poor to the poorer areas of the states - and the crime is ridiculous. There would perhaps be a few factors that would go into the high crime rate of the US rather than the crime rate but I don't live there, I've only been there briefly and I don't know what it's all about really.

Yes, statistically poor people commit more crimes, but a lot of it is culture. I could point out several things I've seen that can be attributed to culture

I would think you might be right, if the US crime rate is really so high. In Prague the police seemed lazy and corrupt when we reported a tourist getting robbed around the corner to them so that might indicate why the Czech Republic has fewer crimes than the US.

This is another problem I have with the whole racial identity setup "whites have it better! they get better everything!"

That's not entirely, what I meant - I just meant that people from poorer background and who live in poorer areas are shown to be more likely to commit crime, and black people are more likely to be in these places because their parents and grandparents are likely to have had worse life chances than white people.

It's not true in all circumstances and I'm sure culture has a lot to do with it - like on my shores Indian and Chinese students are well-known to do especially well and statistics have backed this up. And all white people don't have the same background as the median white man, but the median white man is born in a better environment that is more condusive to success than the median black man, and when you're talking about statistical generalisations, this is relevant, even if personal anecdotes do not conform with this. Not all people from poor backgrounds, black or white, are going to fuck about and commit crime.

instead of getting high, smoking, buying expensive clothes, and other wasteful habits that keep you broke, I save my money to slowly get the nice things that I like.

You ever went 4 days with no food? I have. it's not fun. eventually everything begins to look delicious.

No because when I became really broke I would budget £5 for a week's food because I would never do that - having to spend money on public transport makes food bills look essential. But I have been broke enough for eating to be an issue. While I was in this situation, I was actively trying to better myself and had put myself in it for delayed gratification, which is a strikingly middle-class, progressive career-climber's trait that I would think is a part of my middle-class heritage. I was in education all day and was getting no assistance by way of grants - everyone else in the class was either already rich or lived off their parents.

It might be worth saying at this point that class is perhaps a bigger issue in the UK than race and I reckon perhaps it is too in the US but they don't realise it. We'll hire a black guy, but he better talk with a 'posh' accent.

if you can afford $5 packs of smokes and $40-$70 articles of clothing, you must not have it THAT bad.

yeh when you're stuck for food these instantly-gratifying goods can seem out-of-reach but with a bit of cash then you're pimping.

you mean these white people? I find a eerie similar subcultural similarity....

Well I would think there are subcultural influences at work but I don't blame Afroman in the slightest, or basically any media. You say it right at the end and the reason I responded so speedily is because of how much I agree with your final premise. But white criminally-cultured people do share a lot of similarities with those of ethnic minorities, but I think social issues are the reason behind this, rather than any racial-specific reasons. As far as the trainers briefly mentioned by the OP- it's like all the fucking white people complaining about immigrants taking their jobs and being racist and shaving their heads and getting into fights - that kind of culture can encourage this kind of dividing contempt for others. But it ain't the black's influence on the media that means culturally-averse blacks and whites love playing the race card.


Heavy metal is mainly listened to by white people
and those people tend to be just as fucked up, just in slightly different ways.

We're all fucked up.

Also I get high
better hope to god you don't get hurt at work.

The only machinery I use is a computer and I don't get high at work. But it's a good tangenital point that if I got injured driving a forklift (which I would never do), residual cannabis in my bloodstream would impact my chances of getting compensation, but residual alcohol would not.

and I think black people get unfairly targeted because of the laws against cannabis
you mean the same laws that land people of every race in jail when they get caught? right.

As was previously mentioned, black people are more likely to get charged and sentenced and a jail term and record for these crimes than whites. Just like men are more likely to get in trouble for crimes than women. All a load of discriminatory bullshit.

Some people are so absorbed into the rappers fantasy that it's actually kind of frightening to think about. you listen to them talk and you wonder where they learned to speak like that. You later find out they're imitating a rapper.

I love a chap called Necro who is a far more gruesome, mysogynistic, violent and degrading rapper than fucking Chaggy and Afroman. You're on Newgrounds - you must realise the media you consume - for everyone with a sense of empathy - does not influence your chances of committing nasty, violent and criminal acts towards another member of society.

As far as addictive and illegal drugs are concerned, people who get hooked on heroin and crack seem to be the type that would commit suicide if they were not high all the time and are more likely to be born in the aforementioned deprived environments than people who take an opiate once or twice and don't ruin their lives on it.

Also Maury is as fake as Jerry Springer, maybe worse.

But it's great. Also Cheaters is allegedly fake. But the black women on it are always crazy.

on that note, everyone is who they choose to be.

I entirely agree, and there is no excuse for harming another person without a compelling reason. I hope all this shit does not appear like I am condoning criminalityor making excuses for it. As you said and I know, you can be starving and rationing your food and you wouldn't think of stealing from a small business - perhaps cos you were brought up in an environment that told you that if you did that you were a fucking bastard.

In conclusion, my opinions as a British person are shit because class is a bigger issue here than race probably and our racial politics are inherently linked to class. I feel the same may be true in other places, however, it's just we Brits are preoccupied with the subject.