00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cody1993 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Generations1st [project Blog]

7,385 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-17 14:50:09

Hey guys, My name is Tony and i am Lead director and Designer of G-Flash Team,
I am still working on a project that was meant to be coming out this year but has been put back for summer 2013.
The current project is a combination of flash and pixel art, and is animated.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-17 15:40:41

At 6/17/12 03:04 PM, EnactJudo wrote: and

lol Sure, here's another poster.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-17 16:35:23

it looks good man but ive seen so many drawings of chicks that look around 14 in bikini's today it makes me feel a bit perverted -_-

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-17 16:56:30

At 6/17/12 04:00 PM, M-Maher wrote:
not to offend but why should we care?

Seriously, your behaviour is neither funny nor witty. At least YOU cared enough to waste your time writing a useless post in this thread.

@OP: As for the first pic, I appreciate the background information, because my first question would have been what the poster was for. Overall it looks well done, with the credits below and the whole layout. It's hard to give more detailed feedback since the pic is rather small due to the forum size limits.

I must admit I am not the biggest fan of anime but both promotional posters look good for the purpose they were designed for. Care to share some pixel art of the project too? I would be curious to see how the characters from the posters look in the game.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-17 17:14:51

At 6/17/12 04:56 PM, Luwano wrote:
@OP: As for the first pic, I appreciate the background information, because my first question would have been what the poster was for. Overall it looks well done, with the credits below and the whole layout. It's hard to give more detailed feedback since the pic is rather small due to the forum size limits.

I must admit I am not the biggest fan of anime but both promotional posters look good for the purpose they were designed for. Care to share some pixel art of the project too? I would be curious to see how the characters from the posters look in the game.

There where issues with me putting the image on here at full size due to the 200k limit so i had to reduce the images the image was 1.3 mb and for a Jpeg that is incredibly huge.. lol

This is one of the characters from the project His name is Sean.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-17 19:01:29

The is the Main Character from the poster Lillian
in pixel format.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-17 19:19:02

At 6/17/12 06:34 PM, M-Maher wrote: Honest to lord Cthulhu that was a serious question, I wasn't trying no be funny or witty, I just wanted to know.

I don't know this man, what significance does he have? I wanted to find out.

If you aren't trying to come off as pretentious you need to seriously work on your wording.

It might be the graph in the background screwing with my eyes, but for the turnaround animation when he's facing forward, it seems like his legs are spaced out a little more than they should on a few frames.

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-18 12:34:52

At 6/17/12 07:19 PM, M-Vero wrote:
It might be the graph in the background screwing with my eyes, but for the turnaround animation when he's facing forward, it seems like his legs are spaced out a little more than they should on a few frames.

They seem fine to me, This animation had to be quick and simple for me to create characters.
The definition of this rotation, was for me to know what my characters looks like in a from back to front, before i give it the green light..

His legs are spread out so that i know what shoes he was wearing, his standing position is a default procedure and is not considered for animation, but more or a less a standing idle pose, if required.

Here's an older look which i made, this one is considered as a draft, i didn't like the look i gave him..

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-18 18:45:40

At 6/18/12 12:34 PM, Generations1st wrote:
At 6/17/12 07:19 PM, M-Vero wrote: It might be the graph in the background screwing with my eyes, but for the turnaround animation when he's facing forward, it seems like his legs are spaced out a little more than they should on a few frames.
They seem fine to me, This animation had to be quick and simple for me to create characters.

No I agree with Vero; the problem, I think, lies in the fact that as he turns to the right (i.e. you get to see his left side) his right leg moves inward. If you were to move the front-left position a bit to the right and the front-right position a bit to the left that should fix it.

although you might need to move some other frames a bit.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-18 20:10:00

At 6/18/12 06:45 PM, J-qb wrote:
At 6/18/12 12:34 PM, Generations1st wrote:
At 6/17/12 07:19 PM, M-Vero wrote: It might be the graph in the background screwing with my eyes, but for the turnaround animation when he's facing forward, it seems like his legs are spaced out a little more than they should on a few frames.
No I agree with Vero; the problem, I think, lies in the fact that as he turns to the right (i.e. you get to see his left side) his right leg moves inward. If you were to move the front-left position a bit to the right and the front-right position a bit to the left that should fix it.
although you might need to move some other frames a bit.

Yeah it's minor,but i know exactly what your talking about I can fix that, as i mentioned before though. this isn't considered for animation, this was for a character rota show test to show the final look of the character..
Creating this had to be quick considering i deal with over 200 characters that are done in that same rota format, and animating over 5000 frames on different actions, so it's a question of time i only spent about 3 hours on all the frames,
I could definitely revamp the 1 frame on his foot but i don't waste time on the same thing or being too much of a perfectionist, for me it's all about trial and error.
Thanks for the heads up.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-19 12:56:04

I did this Today, later i will consider CGing.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-19 23:38:59

This is one of the main characters which is from the project i'm currently working on.
This current sprite is an older version of him, and so i don't use it anymore..
This current Version is obsolete since my team redesigned his look.
The Updated version can be seen here.
This character portrays the look as seen on the first poster, but since most of the characters had been re-modified in their looks, its more than likely i will be making a newer poster..

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-20 02:58:53

At 6/19/12 11:38 PM, Generations1st wrote: This is one of the main characters which is from the project i'm currently working on.

Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product.

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-21 17:34:27

At 6/20/12 02:58 AM, MisterAce wrote:
At 6/19/12 11:38 PM, Generations1st wrote: This is one of the main characters which is from the project i'm currently working on.
Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product.

Thank you, if you're into action packed movies this is worth a watch when it's finished,in august i'm hoping to post the first one up on here, once i've managed the file size problem..
I did post a Deleted Scene for size and quality test, keep in mind that is not the final look of the project.

For the time being my absence will be apparent as i'm currently lip syncing what my fellow voice actors have done for me,
And i can tell you, i hate lip synching lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-21 18:32:40

At 6/19/12 12:56 PM, Generations1st wrote: I did this Today, later i will consider CGing.

The pinky on her right (our left) hand seems really long. Actually, all of the fingers on that hand look longer than those on her left (our right) hand.
Also her foot looks a bit small compared to the rest of her. Although sometimes that can be considered more of a "stylistic choice", her pixel form has big feet. :P
This seems like an interesting concept, and I'll be keeping tabs on this thread. ;)

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-23 23:38:13

At 6/21/12 06:32 PM, Kashi wrote:
At 6/19/12 12:56 PM, Generations1st wrote: I did this Today, later i will consider CGing.
The pinky on her right (our left) hand seems really long. Actually, all of the fingers on that hand look longer than those on her left (our right) hand.
Also her foot looks a bit small compared to the rest of her. Although sometimes that can be considered more of a "stylistic choice", her pixel form has big feet. :P
This seems like an interesting concept, and I'll be keeping tabs on this thread. ;)

I hate hands! but yeah i noticed it too ill correct that once its in colour,but take it from me when adding any drawn character in pixel form, it's a Nightmare.
In some cases like recent games i have seen, it seems perfectly normal to scale up the body parts to a level where its not completely chibbish or exaggerated, if that makes sense, an example would be a game like Skullgirls.
Usually it all makes sense when they are animated for a purpose.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-24 00:55:46

At 6/23/12 11:38 PM, Generations1st wrote:

I hate hands! but yeah i noticed it too ill correct that once its in colour,but take it from me when adding any drawn character in pixel form, it's a Nightmare.
In some cases like recent games i have seen, it seems perfectly normal to scale up the body parts to a level where its not completely chibbish or exaggerated, if that makes sense, an example would be a game like Skullgirls.
Usually it all makes sense when they are animated for a purpose.

Those are A Cups? and i thought i drew big boobs. Lol but Kool stuff man, looking forward to seeing this project in action.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-26 23:32:43

Thanks for the feedback, Here's a typical planned layout of a capital character i'm currently working on.
The Captial character it is done in three steps,

Stage (1) I hand draw them the concept
Stage (2) Plan a fixed scale ratio model
Stage (3) Final rendering.

The phrase "Capital Character" is a reference i use when flagging the character who have more sprite frames than most uncommon characters.

Depending on the dilemma i animate it hand drawn then assess the frames for final usage.
The bottom line is that, i find much comfortable to animate sprites hand drawn.
Animating it straight from the PC isn't impossible, but you're limited to options especial y when it's not planned, it really dose depend on the characters condition, certain things like Lip Sychning can be acceptable without the use of it being hand drawn.

When i began this project from scratch, i encountered issues with scale fixing,meaning that nothing was measured or was accurate which is just plain reckless, so yes maths is a big bonus when your animating on a time frame, especially any more than 10 seconds.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 02:57:22

good stuff here! Keep it coming. Also those A-Cups look a tad big

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 03:10:17

At 6/23/12 11:38 PM, Generations1st wrote: Usually it all makes sense when they are animated for a purpose.

A cups are the (second?) smallest bra size, not the largest, you know.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 03:35:29

At 6/27/12 03:10 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/23/12 11:38 PM, Generations1st wrote: Usually it all makes sense when they are animated for a purpose.
A cups are the (second?) smallest bra size, not the largest, you know.

Wrong Cups those were C!

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 03:56:08

Comes to think of it, i was planning to make her A-cup size from C-Cup, thats probably the reason why i wrote it on note,
I don't think it would of worked well on her though.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 19:57:50

The Male body's are all complete!, this system was created for characters that will age from child to adult, as the story progresses, this draft concept simply shows you their scale comparing to other sprites.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 20:11:14

At 6/27/12 07:57 PM, Generations1st wrote: The Male body's are all complete!, this system was created for characters that will age from child to adult, as the story progresses, this draft concept simply shows you their scale comparing to other sprites.

Loving the sprite work, keep on posting. I want to see more.

The arms on those big guys is messed up. I did a fast little draw over to show you what I mean. Hope it's of some help.

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 20:32:06

At 6/27/12 08:11 PM, Mabelma wrote:
At 6/27/12 07:57 PM, Generations1st wrote: The Male body's are all complete!, this system was created for characters that will age from child to adult, as the story progresses, this draft concept simply shows you their scale comparing to other sprites.
Loving the sprite work, keep on posting. I want to see more.

The arms on those big guys is messed up. I did a fast little draw over to show you what I mean. Hope it's of some help.

Good job! , your right i've just realized it till now, i'm going to render more muscle tissue down his arm, and flip the hands forward, they seem to be behind his body, thanks for the heads up that was really helpful.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 21:35:22

i couldn't work in pixels if my life depended on it. must be pretty tedious. i am patiently waiting to see all this in action.

Art is vast as Love is deep, Trying to Explain the two is like trying to discover everything there is about the ocean.

My art thread

My comic thread

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-27 21:45:25

At 6/27/12 08:32 PM, Generations1st wrote:
Good job! , your right i've just realized it till now, i'm going to render more muscle tissue down his arm, and flip the hands forward, they seem to be behind his body, thanks for the heads up that was really helpful.

No worries, always here to help :) Can't wait to see all of this come full circle. Are you designing enemies as well? I would love to see some creature design from you.

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-30 12:15:57

At 6/27/12 09:45 PM, Mabelma wrote:
At 6/27/12 08:32 PM, Generations1st wrote:
No worries, always here to help :) Can't wait to see all of this come full circle. Are you designing enemies as well? I would love to see some creature design from you.

I'm Back i just finished off a voice acting demo of myself, so now that's out of the way i'll show you two characters who i don't consider enemies but are what i consider antagonist.
Like all the the characters i designed these were drawn first then designed in pixel format.

BBS Signature

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-06-30 13:09:00

At 6/30/12 12:15 PM, Generations1st wrote: I'm Back i just finished off a voice acting demo of myself, so now that's out of the way i'll show you two characters who i don't consider enemies but are what i consider antagonist.
Like all the the characters i designed these were drawn first then designed in pixel format.

It's a little difficult to see them with that texture on it, you think you could post another version of the image but with really just the characters? It will make things a lot easier to see and comment on.

Response to Generations1st [project Blog] 2012-07-01 08:56:40

At 6/30/12 01:09 PM, Mabelma wrote:
It's a little difficult to see them with that texture on it, you think you could post another version of the image but with really just the characters? It will make things a lot easier to see and comment on.

That was a Flash screen shot, it should of been bigger i don't know why it came out in that size, the scanlines is part of the visual effect i'm using in the animation, to give it that old school arcade game look.
at the moment i'm designing the school uniforms, this isn't the final look.

BBS Signature