New Topic Respond to this Topic
retrobox2
retrobox2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

I want to expand myself to the sound effects territory but I am really lost over there in the part of what vst to use or standalone software. Right now I am looking for some sound effects for a simulation game so I don't think that I am going to use anything 8-bit for the moment. I don't know if you actually use synths and then add some other effects. If that its the case I currently own Massive, Modular Moog and FM8.

If you recommend me something else please tell me something that can be very flexible on the sfx so I can go to any type of effect.

Thanks and sorry for my english

stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 12:25 PM Reply

At 6/15/12 08:56 PM, retrobox2 wrote: I want to expand myself to the sound effects territory but I am really lost over there in the part of what vst to use or standalone software. Right now I am looking for some sound effects for a simulation game so I don't think that I am going to use anything 8-bit for the moment. I don't know if you actually use synths and then add some other effects. If that its the case I currently own Massive, Modular Moog and FM8.

If you recommend me something else please tell me something that can be very flexible on the sfx so I can go to any type of effect.

There's a free synth called chimara or something of the like that generates sound from white noise, I think you can get cool sound effects from it.

Tbh I'd look up on youtube how to generate sound effects and what vsts people use, I'm sure there's awesome tuts on there.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 12:57 PM Reply

Get yourself a little field mic/recorder combo like the H2n. Invaluable sound designer tool to be able record things and use those to create sfx. Synthesis definitely has its part for tons and tons of stuff, but having both = win

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Artist
Response to Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 01:14 PM Reply

At 6/16/12 12:57 PM, Breed wrote: Get yourself a little field mic/recorder combo like the H2n. Invaluable sound designer tool to be able record things and use those to create sfx. Synthesis definitely has its part for tons and tons of stuff, but having both = win

This, look into foley sound design if you really want to expand your abilities. Good sound designers are quite highly sought. Not to mention it's a fun creative outlet.

(._.) ( l: ) (.-.) ( :l ) (._.)

BBS Signature
JSX1A
JSX1A
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 6/15/12 08:56 PM, retrobox2 wrote: I want to expand myself to the sound effects territory but I am really lost over there in the part of what vst to use or standalone software. Right now I am looking for some sound effects for a simulation game so I don't think that I am going to use anything 8-bit for the moment. I don't know if you actually use synths and then add some other effects. If that its the case I currently own Massive, Modular Moog and FM8.

Massive is spectacular for creating different types of sounds. I can't say I've used FM8 much, but I can say Massive is great for pretty much anything.

Usually any DAW would do, just make sure it's one that you know and that you're comfortable with. I personally prefer Ableton Live.

Massive can create pretty much *any* type of sound you want. For starters, if you try adjusting the main amp using the first envelope:

Here's a simple image I mocked up on how to adjust just the amplitude.

From Ableton I don't even necessarily have to assign anything from within the program, all those parameters are open to automation outside of Massive

You'll see that's one of many many more parameters that can be automated(with or without ableton). Anything is freakin possible with this thing!

I just recommend taking the time to learn the instrument itself. There's no easy and simple way to get good at something. Don't bother too much with effects before you get a grip on sound dynamics, because otherwise you'll effectively be polishing a turd.

Be patient!

BBS Signature
Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 01:42 PM Reply

I love love LOVE Absynth from Native Instruments. Anything from NI, really. What's good about those synths is their staying power...u don't have to buy another one in like 6 months.

Oh yeah, and if you want real sound efx...stop bein cheap and pay for something!! LOL

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
Generations1st
Generations1st
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Filmmaker
Response to Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 02:05 PM Reply

Well i usually create my own sound effects using FL Studio Or have my friends do it for me, Most sounds can also be obtained in Websites that specialize on the platform.
But from what i know in all the years i have made sound effects, its a definition bending or distorting the shape of sound waves to construct a variety of different Values and conditions, this is usually aided with additional equalizers and Pitch bending..

BBS Signature
retrobox2
retrobox2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Making Games Sound Effects Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 09:19 PM Reply

Thanks to you all, so I am going to try to get a microphone as soon as I can and experience it with some EQ and other things. Until then I am going to experiment with massive to see what I can get from there. Anyone has any tip to me? I would be really pleasured to hear it.