New Topic Respond to this Topic
Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 01:13 AM Reply

Hey peeps, you guys want to take a look at my art and tell me how to fix it?

Though I doubt this can be fixed. Any way here is the Link

GristlyBear
GristlyBear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 01:21 AM Reply

At 6/15/12 01:13 AM, Archxiao wrote: Hey peeps, you guys want to take a look at my art and tell me how to fix it?

Though I doubt this can be fixed. Any way here is the Link

It's pretty rough, so my main piece of advice would be more time, since styles can vary from person to person. I'd recommend you letting people know what you're trying to go for (ie realistic face or intentionally disproportional head or something).

I'm not actually much of an artist, so I can't say much, but I did notice your use of shading/shine for the head and in the eyes. Little details can make quite a difference, but in my eyes, there isn't much else.

Not knowing what your goal/style is, I'd recommend just spending more time planning/drawing/refining it.

BBS Signature
PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 01:29 AM Reply

Considering (guessing) your current skill sets as an artist i don't think this is "bad art". But im one of those people who don't believe in bad art. Anyway....

I suggest going to google and researching things such as Character Design. Just read various articles and tips and tricks. There are TONS OF STUFF you can find on the internet. Then after you have read quite a bit. Go ahead and start doing tutorials.

But make sure you read first. Or you can practice + read at the same time. But as you practice you need to make a habit of incorporating watever the tips and tricks are that you pick up from reading.

This is the best way to ultilize the FREE internet to your highest advantage to improve as an artist in no matter what field or area of art. Then you can post your work on a site like this asking for critiques to see how you are doing along the way to get a higher and even better understanding.

But in the end. The only person who can help you become a better artist is yourself. Its your drive and will to progress that will push you to achieving the talent you wish to pursue.

Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 01:48 AM Reply

@webufs: There isn't any point to it, just trying to see how well I could do at art while tired and using a mouse (which is all I have)

@PMMurphy: I will utilize your knowledge of that post and remember when I start doing my art tomorrow.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 02:04 AM Reply

At 6/15/12 01:48 AM, Archxiao wrote: @webufs: There isn't any point to it, just trying to see how well I could do at art while tired and using a mouse (which is all I have)

@PMMurphy: I will utilize your knowledge of that post and remember when I start doing my art tomorrow.

If your only thing to draw with is a mouse. Take out a sheet of paper and a no.2 pencil with an eraser. Mouse's are horrible to draw with and you have to have the control and patience of a saint to use one effectively -_-. But if you do wish to draw with a mouse expect most of your line work to not be so smoothe and fluent as its hard to make long brushstrokes that move freely with a mouse.

Just some thoughts. But that doesn't mean you cant learn from drawing with a mouse though.

Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 02:24 AM Reply

At 6/15/12 02:04 AM, PMMurphy wrote:
If your only thing to draw with is a mouse. Take out a sheet of paper and a no.2 pencil with an eraser. Mouse's are horrible to draw with and you have to have the control and patience of a saint to use one effectively -_-. But if you do wish to draw with a mouse expect most of your line work to not be so smoothe and fluent as its hard to make long brushstrokes that move freely with a mouse.

Just some thoughts. But that doesn't mean you cant learn from drawing with a mouse though.

Oh I know, but I am broke atm XD, oh since I am using this topic I have a new drawing. Just to test out colors, would you mind checking it out? Yup

Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Programmer
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 02:33 AM Reply

Btw, your art is Great!. I respect your traditional stand point.

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 04:18 AM Reply

Please post your art IN the thread instead of just linking to your dump. Thanks.

Aigis
Aigis
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to A lot of help on my art skills.. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 04:28 AM Reply

Really the only thing you're doing right is drawing in the first place.

Practice everything. Practice drawing real people, practice drawing individual body parts, practice smooth lines, practice colouring, practice shading, etc. There isn't much else I can tell you.

Check out my webcomic: The Amazing and Remarkably True Adventures of Kim and Amy
Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature