New Topic Respond to this Topic
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-13 23:23:54 Reply

Okay, so I'm sure we all have the certain someone in our lives that chooses to believe that there's actually an inevitable zombie apocalypse coming soon and has taken every precaution to prepare for it.

Maybe not, but I'm sure you know the type.

Alright, I personally believe that ^this^ is a bit, well, overcautious, to put in the most polite terms possible.

I highly, highly doubt there is an actual zombie epidemic on the brink of being set free.

But I question you: Is there any chance that something akin to what we see in the movies could happen in the real world?

No, I am not one of those psychopaths who keeps a survival shelter in my basement. I was wondering, if the factors were just perfect, something somewhat like that could *possibly* be made.

It doesn't have to be exactly like the big outbreaks we see in the movies, but I was wondering if there's a possibility that something that alters the mind; like, say, rabies; could be modified, it could make humans somewhat aggressive and zombie-like. It doesn't seem like the most plausible thing, since the virus would have to have a way to be transmitted to a lot of people to have a considerable effect, and then said 'infected' would have to move the virus around enough to create a considerable 'epidemic' kind of scenario.

Even given the immense implausibility, could a considerable zombie-like scenario be created, if all the factors were just *perfect*?

Discuss.

UBER TL;DR VERSION: Could a 'zombie virus' possibly be created with just the right conditions?

beardkiller
beardkiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-13 23:29:58 Reply

yes,yes it could be created,the zombie virus in dead fronteir was ment to be an anticancer drug buuuut it instead became something that created a genetic mutation which created zombies

Hi

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 00:35:48 Reply

At 6/13/12 11:29 PM, beardkiller wrote: yes,yes it could be created,the zombie virus in dead fronteir was ment to be an anticancer drug buuuut it instead became something that created a genetic mutation which created zombies

I was thinking something slightly more plausible would be the 28 Days Later virus; it didn't make its victims 'undead', just really, really angry.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 00:39:38 Reply

Fools.

The only way to make real zombies is with necromantic spells.

Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 00:42:28 Reply

Yes, but like you said it's extremely improbable.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 01:37:43 Reply

Zombies are a true and real threat. We have to always keep an eye out for them.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 05:02:45 Reply

i seriously doubt it, even with perfect conditions

Chocomilk
Chocomilk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 05:09:21 Reply

Goddamn it, don't any of you read Cracked?

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 14:02:40 Reply

At 6/14/12 05:09 AM, Chocomilk wrote: Goddamn it, don't any of you read Cracked?

Well that can't be HOLY FREAKING CRAP THAT'S ALARMING.

Bookmarking that page. Read it, gaise.

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 14:38:56 Reply

At 6/14/12 12:39 AM, Painbringer wrote: Fools.

You're pretty much right. A true definition of a zombie is a person brought back from the dead using Voodoo.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
EnnuiEngram
EnnuiEngram
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 14:52:40 Reply

Well, there's voodoo zombies, which have been around for hundreds of years. Those are basically just people who've been "Voodoo'd" into getting severe brain damage, and essentially becoming some witchdoctor's slave. Because of the brain damage, they can no longer think correctly, will follow orders easily, and are extremely hostile.

I'm not spending more time on this than I have to.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 16:00:07 Reply

I like bath salts.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 20:32:27 Reply

Zombie Outbreak being possible? Hell yes.

Apocalypse with a day to day struggle? Not a chance unless you're near the initially infected areas. Well, at least in America. The sheer amount of guns and other goodies we have to take out zombies, such as the almighty stairs, we'll be just fine. Yeah, shit will suck for a little bit, but they'll be mowed down. Shit, you would probably have a better chance dying either from some weeaboo who thinks a katana is actually a viable choice, or roughly the 110% of American citizens with guns.

All the cool kids have signature text

BBS Signature
BizzarroPMP
BizzarroPMP
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 20:44:22 Reply

its a good thing you mentioned that it wasnt about bath salts....

...because i never would have clicked here otherwise.

Also, yes, my ex believes in zombies.

Zeppelyn: Since when does the bladder control the "poo poo"?
convict357: Um, you mean you f*ck chickens, turkeys are male chickens.

BBS Signature
Zippy-MyMusic
Zippy-MyMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 20:47:15 Reply

Unless the virus becomes airborne, the government/national guard would fuck the zombies in the ass with assault rifles. It would be dealt with in less than a day. I'm not worried.

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:11:10 Reply

At 6/14/12 08:47 PM, Zippy-MyMusic wrote: Unless the virus becomes airborne, the government/national guard would fuck the zombies in the ass with assault rifles. It would be dealt with in less than a day. I'm not worried.

Unless army man gets bit, biting another army man, biting another, etc.

Sure, you might just think "they'll just kill 'em like the other zombies" but remember that the zombies look like their former comrades, which is a bigger drawback than you'd think.

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:16:37 Reply

At 6/14/12 11:11 PM, T3XT wrote: Unless army man gets bit, biting another army man, biting another, etc.

Good thing we don't do line shooting anymore

Sure, you might just think "they'll just kill 'em like the other zombies" but remember that the zombies look like their former comrades, which is a bigger drawback than you'd think.

Except now everybody knows what the hell zombies are and to just blow the fuckers away.

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:19:55 Reply

At 6/14/12 02:52 PM, EnnuiEngram wrote: Well, there's voodoo zombies, which have been around for hundreds of years. Those are basically just people who've been "Voodoo'd" into getting severe brain damage, and essentially becoming some witchdoctor's slave. Because of the brain damage, they can no longer think correctly, will follow orders easily, and are extremely hostile.

Taken from the link posted by Chocomilk....

"There are certain kinds of poisons that slow your bodily functions to the point that you'll be considered dead, even to a doctor (okay, maybe not to a good doctor). The poison from fugu (Japanese blowfish) can do this.
The victims can then be brought back under the effects of a drug like datura stramonium (or other chemicals called alkaloids) that leave them in a trance-like state with no memory, but still able to perform simple tasks like eating, sleeping, moaning and shambling around with their arms outstretched.
How it can result in zombies:
"Can?" How about "does."
This stuff has happened in Haiti; that's where the word "zombie" comes from. There are books about it, the most famous ones by Dr. Wade Davis (Passage of Darkness and The Serpent and the Rainbow). Yes, the movie The Serpent and the Rainbow was based on this guy's actual science stuff. How much of it was fact? Well, there was that one scene where they strapped the guy naked to a chair and drove a huge spike through his balls. We're hoping that part wasn't true.

What is definitely true is the story of Clairvius Narcisse. He was a Haitian guy who was declared dead by two doctors and buried in 1962. They found him wandering around the village 18 years later. It turned out the local voodoo priests had been using naturally occurring chemicals to basically zombify people and putting them to work on the sugar plantations (no, really).
So, the next time you're pouring a little packet of sugar into your coffee, remember that it may have been handled by a zombie at some point."

There's a lot of other awesome stuff on that page but this piqued my interest the most.

Zombies (Not about bath salts)

T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:21:29 Reply

At 6/14/12 11:16 PM, RacistBassist wrote: Except now everybody knows what the hell zombies are and to just blow the fuckers away.

Picture your best friend.

He's now infected and must be shot in the head.

Pretty hard, no?

RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:28:41 Reply

At 6/14/12 11:21 PM, T3XT wrote: Picture your best friend.

He's now infected and must be shot in the head.

Pretty hard, no?

Not really, given that I would also know he is a zombie. Out of all people who would be able to do it, I would consider, outside of crazies and people who just don't give a fuck; soldiers to have the easiest time doing it.

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:35:44 Reply

At 6/14/12 11:28 PM, RacistBassist wrote: Not really, given that I would also know he is a zombie. Out of all people who would be able to do it, I would consider, outside of crazies and people who just don't give a fuck; soldiers to have the easiest time doing it.

I suppose.

In bio-class terms, I guess it's just a very large 'density dependent factor'-- The more people infected, the worse it becomes. Just depends on if the group it strikes first are a bunch of wussies or not. If the first few infected don't have the balls to realize what's going on and do something about it, then it'll keep spreading until it hits people that "Oh crap, there's a zombie epidemic going around! We better do something." All in all, it'll probably be a relatively short-lived threat as long as it's primarily bite-borne, unless (as I said in the first post) the conditions were just perfect and we were really, really unlucky.

Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:37:24 Reply

If it is possible, it probably won't happen in our lifetime.

わたしのぺにす

BBS Signature
RacistBassist
RacistBassist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-14 23:42:26 Reply

At 6/14/12 11:35 PM, T3XT wrote: In bio-class terms, I guess it's just a very large 'density dependent factor'-- The more people infected, the worse it becomes. Just depends on if the group it strikes first are a bunch of wussies or not. If the first few infected don't have the balls to realize what's going on and do something about it, then it'll keep spreading until it hits people that "Oh crap, there's a zombie epidemic going around! We better do something." All in all, it'll probably be a relatively short-lived threat as long as it's primarily bite-borne, unless (as I said in the first post) the conditions were just perfect and we were really, really unlucky.

Look at the spread or rabies. We really don't have shit to worry about. Sure, if you're in a dense city, you might have something to worry about, but not from zombies, while virtually everywhere else is safe(At least in America), because seriously, 2/5 of America is armed with a gun in some capacity, not even taken into account the people with several firearms, and there's always the heavier shit being able to be brought back. The greatest problem that would happen from a zombie apocalypse would be the rioting. I see a lot of major cities being utter chaos, with more people dying from being killed then by zombie related shit

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-15 00:12:53 Reply

At 6/14/12 11:42 PM, RacistBassist wrote: Look at the spread or rabies. We really don't have shit to worry about. Sure, if you're in a dense city, you might have something to worry about, but not from zombies, while virtually everywhere else is safe(At least in America), because seriously, 2/5 of America is armed with a gun in some capacity, not even taken into account the people with several firearms, and there's always the heavier shit being able to be brought back. The greatest problem that would happen from a zombie apocalypse would be the rioting. I see a lot of major cities being utter chaos, with more people dying from being killed then by zombie related shit

Contrary to beliefs, rabies isn't doesn't make people *that* aggressive though.

They just get very very delusional, and sometimes in their strange trance blame their stress on whatever walks by (which
can cause attacks). They're usually too confused to do much, though, and in most cases you'll be perfectly safe if you keep your distance. Think of it like a bad acid trip.

On the other hand, if something like our zombie virus were to be created, I'd assume it would make people more aggressive than rabies. If they had more urge to attack people, the virus might be spread easier. There's a lot of mixed factors here since we don't know for sure what our 'zombie virus' will exactly be like.

And you're right, the biggest threat would probably be the people themselves. I think a lot of riots would start from the people who're convinced that the zombies could be brought back to people again, like that one scene in Highschool of the Dead that this part of the text was going to be a link to but it seems I cannot find it anywhere on the interwebs. Oh well.

Kanon
Kanon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-15 00:15:05 Reply

At 6/14/12 12:39 AM, Painbringer wrote: Fools.

Voodoo Zombies man, can't forget them.

PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
MidoriKatsu
MidoriKatsu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-15 00:25:12 Reply

I think it's very possible. Actually if you read further into that story they claim that the bath salts actually didn't cause it but it was actually a bacterium. But I guess with stories like this they are always open to alteration and interpretation.

I have cancer on my anus. Should I see my gynecologist?

BBS Signature
T3XT
T3XT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-15 00:27:16 Reply

At 6/15/12 12:15 AM, Kanon wrote:
Voodoo Zombies man, can't forget them.

It doesn't take magic. This was done by natural drugs alone!

Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-15 00:31:20 Reply

No, no it could not. The zombie body functions all shut down but the nervous system. Which is why we aim for le brain. But if this were true it would die in minutes from lack of oxygen to the brain. Interdependance of bodily functions makes zombies impossible.

http://mumbo.newgrounds.com/
I'm a bisexual fgt. send me dick pics pls.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-15 00:32:42 Reply

How about worrying about something that's actually real? Like cancer?

iHolly
iHolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Zombies (Not about bath salts) 2012-06-15 00:33:38 Reply

Nah...unless it was a bacteria that travelled through the air and NOBODY paid any attention to it.

Maybe it could happen but only in the same way that world peace could happen.

BBS Signature