New Topic Respond to this Topic
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 08:41 AM Reply

Cevat Yerli said that, although Crytek isn't currently working on the highly acclaimed shooter series, he personally wishes the company would, although a retail release is out of the question.

"Look, I wish we were working on it. I will say that," he told CVG in Los Angeles last week.

"I think hopes are high, but change has to happen in the platform space. I'm very excited potentially about the idea of a TimeSplitters for G-Face.

"The thing with TimeSplitters is, if we made a sequel to TimeSplitters, nobody would accept this apart from some fans, and we don't know how big the fan community is unfortunately.

"And we don't want to design this as a packaged goods game that launches on a console, and even if we wanted to I don't think publishers would like the idea. That is the truth, and that was the truth even before we bought Free Radical."
Crytek acquired Free Radical, the Nottingham based developer of TimeSplitters, in February 2009. Since then the company has faced persistent requests to return to the franchise.

Former Free Radical MD Steve Ellis previously said he shopped around the idea of TimeSplitters 4 to publishers and "nobody was interested" - a fact Yerli backed up.

"The concept behind TimeSplitters was pitched around before we took over and Free Radical had no luck. We think even on CryEngine and with Crytek behind it there would be fundamental issues with the concept," he said.
"However, TimeSplitters had one of the most fun multiplayer games ever, and G-Face is a social entertainment platform - it's about online gaming. I love the idea of a TimeSplitters for G-Face.
"I love the idea, and I wish we'll work on it, but currently we are not working on it."

One potential avenue for getting the game off the ground is the crowdfund platform Kickstarter, but Yerli expressed concerns over whether it would be appropriate for such a large company to call on fan funding.
"I've been asked this question internally and I said, 'how can we do a kickstarter? It wouldn't feel right.' I suppose if someone really, really wanted to...

"I guess the other issue is this; the reality also is we're quite a large company, but also we have capacity limits and we don't want to hire 15 people just to do this game. Kickstarter is a concept we thought about seriously... we'll see. Time will tell."

Source

Twitter him, and help get this shit made.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 01:18 PM Reply

As much as I'd love a new, well made TimeSplitters game, I'm now at the point where I don't want them to attempt it. I was a huge fan of TimeSplitters on PS2. The original was one of the first PS2 games I played. I just don't know if they'd work all that well amongst modern games.

TimeSplitters were always simplistic arcade shooters that were great fun to play. But now, if you look at all the big FPS titles, they're not simple games. They're far from basic and I think that if TimeSplitters wanted to compete, they'd have to follow certain trends that that would upset the fans.

I'd also hate for a new game to be released and receive mixed to negative reviews. TimeSplitters is one of the great FPS series. I'd hate to see that name be tarnished.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 01:39 PM Reply

too bad I don't have a Twitter. I really want this game to happen.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 04:40 PM Reply

It would be nice to see a good quality Timesplitters 4. Don't want to see a rushed, lame game.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM Reply

best shooter ever hand down

you have my support

i just want it to be for either wii, ps2 or pc, im not buying more consoles

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 06:13 PM Reply

At 6/13/12 08:41 AM, phrozonfire wrote: "The thing with TimeSplitters is, if we made a sequel to TimeSplitters, nobody would accept this apart from some fans, and we don't know how big the fan community is unfortunately.

This petition may give a good idea as to how many fans there are. Realistically thinking though, I don't think that's enough to change their minds. Considering the number may not be as dominating as certain other shooters focused solely on gritty warfare, after all.
All I hope for is, if they do end up making TimeSplitters 4, they won't completely change the gameplay to "meet today's standards" or whatever. I wouldn't mind them including aiming-down-sights and other minor things, but there had better still be monkeys, aliens, zombies, power-ups, and a time traveling Sgt. Cortez in the game.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 6/13/12 05:54 PM, kakalxlax wrote: best shooter ever hand down

you have my support

i just want it to be for either wii, ps2 or pc, im not buying more consoles

Don't you have a PS3? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

Anyway, I would really hope for a combined 360, PS3, and PC release. They'd have to dumb down the graphics if it were also for Wii, and there's no way they're going to waste their time making a PS2 game in this day and age. Plus, they'd again have to dumb down the graphics.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Eddmario
Eddmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 11:32 PM Reply

I think they should release something along the lines of a Time Splitters triple pack on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, and Steam. If they did that, they could do online multiplayer, which I believe none of the games in the series had, and if enough people bought it they'd be able to use the money from it to fund TS4, as well as see how many fans of the series there are AND get new players to become fans as well.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7832-9212 | Gamertag: Eddmario
Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Help Make Timesplitters 4 a Reality Jun. 14th, 2012 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 6/13/12 11:32 PM, Eddmario wrote: I think they should release something along the lines of a Time Splitters triple pack on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, and Steam. If they did that, they could do online multiplayer, which I believe none of the games in the series had, and if enough people bought it they'd be able to use the money from it to fund TS4, as well as see how many fans of the series there are AND get new players to become fans as well.

Future Perfect had online, but I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure if they'll do a triple pack, since the first one was really obscure, but I can still see them releasing HD remakes of 2 & 3. Hell, maybe we could even play the co-op campaigns online with friends instead of just split-screen!

Dammit, now I got all excited...