Be a Supporter!
Doctor-Pepper
Doctor-Pepper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Animation Pricing 2012-06-12 16:35:03 Reply

I am wondering how much is it appropriate to charge for an animated clip.
It would be an intro to a game for mobile devices. About 15 sec. Quality drawn and animated, yet under friendly indie rates.

Blounty
Blounty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Animation Pricing 2012-06-12 16:49:18 Reply

At 6/12/12 04:35 PM, Doctor-Pepper wrote: I am wondering how much is it appropriate to charge for an animated clip.
It would be an intro to a game for mobile devices. About 15 sec. Quality drawn and animated, yet under friendly indie rates

It really depends on how much the animator thinks he's worth.

Sig created by HighWay

BBS Signature
Doctor-Pepper
Doctor-Pepper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Animation Pricing 2012-06-12 16:56:38 Reply

Yes, i get that. But at what point is it no longer worth the price, and the quality cant justify the cost.
Also, what is a great value for the buck, without ripping off the contractor nor the artist.

Blounty
Blounty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Animation Pricing 2012-06-12 17:06:16 Reply

At 6/12/12 04:56 PM, Doctor-Pepper wrote: Yes, i get that. But at what point is it no longer worth the price, and the quality cant justify the cost.
Also, what is a great value for the buck, without ripping off the contractor nor the artist.

10 dollars a second seems reasonable for amateur animators I'd say.

Sig created by HighWay

BBS Signature
JKR
JKR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to Animation Pricing 2012-06-12 18:01:05 Reply

At 6/12/12 05:06 PM, Blounty wrote:
At 6/12/12 04:56 PM, Doctor-Pepper wrote: Yes, i get that. But at what point is it no longer worth the price, and the quality cant justify the cost.
10 dollars a second seems reasonable for amateur animators I'd say.

If it involved the design process as well (ie. coming up with characters, settings, etc) then I'd say much more than that.

Typically I don't do freelance animation anymore, but when I did it was about $50 an hour. Anything less and it wasn't really worth my time because I could be doing my own projects which were worth a lot more to me. But then, money is never my driving force, so it might be different for most other freelance animators.

BBS Signature
nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Animation Pricing 2012-06-13 10:23:51 Reply

If you know how much someone may make per hour you can make a rough estimate on how much you'll need. Or you can guess. I'd at least do a little more then minimum wage or how much you'd like to make if you were the artist.

Let's say it may take 20 hours to storyboard it, 20 hours to make the animatic, 20 hours for backgrounds, 40 hours to animate and 40 hours to clean up. Then you can calculate a rough price.

Of course it all depends on what you want them to do, they may need more to get music, sound effects, voice over, write a script, character/prop designs and composite it.

A tip would be whatever you think it may cost or how long it may take to make it, double that. Most freelancers tend to do a flat rate or day rate though.