New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sandile
Sandile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Help! (I'm a noob) 2012-06-12 15:15:53 Reply

I'm currently making a long game with an extensive story and plot with my friends. I'm mainly the artist, but we've all come to a glitch that we don't know how to fix. The game's a horozontal shooter.

Here's our problem...

Whenever we test the movie and go to the "Level Select > Stage 2", the game always stops a few seconds into the level. We've tried to find out why, but I can't seem to find what's causing it. It also happens when playing through stage 1 and heading straight into Stage 2.

However, if I export the scene instead of the entire movie, it doesn't happen but rather heads straight to the end and loops back to the beginning like normal.

I also noticed that if I added more frames to the previous scene, even if the user never reaches those blank frames, the stopping in the next scene happens earlier.

Full Movie:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/76a62a7346c0936d219a0982 efdc562a
Only Scene:
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/1461689c451495d190da079e 5052d55f

We have no clue what is going on. My friends have spent hours looking for the cause of the glitch. By the way, we are using Adobe Flash CS5.5 with ActioScript2.

Sandile
Sandile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Help! (I'm a noob) 2012-06-12 15:17:30 Reply

At 6/12/12 03:15 PM, Sandile wrote: Full Movie:
Only Scene:

Sorry, the links are altered above by a space. Here:

Full Movie:

Only Scene:

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help! (I'm a noob) 2012-06-12 15:46:02 Reply

At 6/12/12 03:15 PM, Sandile wrote: Whenever we test the movie and go to the "Level Select > Stage 2", the game always stops a few seconds into the level. We've tried to find out why, but I can't seem to find what's causing it. It also happens when playing through stage 1 and heading straight into Stage 2.

I also noticed that if I added more frames to the previous scene, even if the user never reaches those blank frames, the stopping in the next scene happens earlier.

There's your problem. You're using Scenes. I have no idea what use they serve or why Flash even has them, but they cause lots of little problems. I recommend using classes rather than coding on the timeline, or if you must code on the timeline, do it all in one scene.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Sandile
Sandile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Help! (I'm a noob) 2012-06-12 16:11:47 Reply

At 6/12/12 03:46 PM, egg82 wrote:
At 6/12/12 03:15 PM, Sandile wrote: Whenever we test the movie and go to the "Level Select > Stage 2", the game always stops a few seconds into the level. We've tried to find out why, but I can't seem to find what's causing it. It also happens when playing through stage 1 and heading straight into Stage 2.

There's your problem. You're using Scenes. I have no idea what use they serve or why Flash even has them, but they cause lots of little problems. I recommend using classes rather than coding on the timeline, or if you must code on the timeline, do it all in one scene.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't quite see why using scenes are so bad and how they're causing the glitches. Because of the very dynamic background that follows along with the plot of the game, our first stage took up about an insane amount of frames at 30 frames per second. We use scenes to separate each stage from each other so that the game development doesn't become one huge mess and so that we can go back later to make adjustments. Is there any way to get rid of the glitch without putting everything in less scenes?

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help! (I'm a noob) 2012-06-12 16:36:01 Reply

At 6/12/12 04:11 PM, Sandile wrote: Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't quite see why using scenes are so bad and how they're causing the glitches. Because of the very dynamic background that follows along with the plot of the game, our first stage took up about an insane amount of frames at 30 frames per second. We use scenes to separate each stage from each other so that the game development doesn't become one huge mess and so that we can go back later to make adjustments. Is there any way to get rid of the glitch without putting everything in less scenes?

well, I suppose it's technically ignorance, but "ignorance" implies fault. As there's no fault, I probably wouldn't have used the word ;)

personally, i've never used Scenes. I've heard, however, that they can become very unorganized very quickly. Basically it's just splitting your animation into different pieces. Same number of frames, same way to reference frames, but it's a complete disaster code-wise.

Tell me: You have a preloader, a menu, a tutorial, and a game. Why do you have so many frames? When I was coding in AS2 using frames I still only had (at the most) 12 frames, and even those I was going to shrink down to about four or five (until I learned AS3 - well, I guess learning as I haven't quite grasped the concept fully) - any game should (if using frames) only have a maximum of ten frames.

If you're using AS2, I suggest learning Class structure and learning AS3. It really isn't terribly different aside from the change in coding habits.
If you're using AS3, then I can tell you that you're doing it very, very wrong.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Help! (I'm a noob) 2012-06-12 16:41:41 Reply

Here is an example of a game in AS2 - it has lots of neat stuff and it's under five frames (I think?)

Please pardon the "ohmygodwhatthehellisthat?!" or "whatthehellareyouthinking?!" coding - i've been told it's a monstrosity, and after learning "proper" OOP coding I would have to agree.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d098a17ff9f2de09e8df9aec ac918826

BBS Signature