Be a Supporter!

Good mics for voice recording

  • 2,387 Views
  • 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dhurkst
Dhurkst
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Good mics for voice recording Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 05:26 AM Reply

I've been considering getting into voice acting. What are some good microphones for voice recording? Thanks!

TwoDoorCafeClub
TwoDoorCafeClub
  • Member since: Jun. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 06:26 AM Reply

At 6/12/12 05:26 AM, Dhurkst wrote: I've been considering getting into voice acting. What are some good microphones for voice recording? Thanks!

You want to avoid headsets and desktop mics. What you'll want to get that'll be good enough for Newgrounds is a USB condenser mic such as:

Blue Snowball
Blue Yeti (arguably the best an amateur could hope for in terms of price and quality)
Samson CO1U
Samson Meteor
Samson CO1
Behringer C-1

For some of those, you may need to buy a mic stand and/or a pop filter to cancel those poofing sounds into the mic.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 07:49 AM Reply

At 6/12/12 06:26 AM, TwoDoorCafeClub wrote: For some of those, you may need to buy a mic stand and/or a pop filter to cancel those poofing sounds into the mic.

A pop filter is probably a good idea for any mic, really.

Also refer to ricepirate's awesome tutorial on making your room sound really GOOD, because a good microphone will not give you a professional recording if your room sounds bad. If that doesn't make sense, the video will explain it!


p.s. i am gay

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 09:27 AM Reply

I'd second what the first two guys said. If you're serious but don't want to go overboard with purchases than you should buy the Audio Technica AT2020 USB model. It's a really good mic (I have the non-usb version). Makes sure that you have audacity or something like that for the actual recording, and that you also have some decent headphones! (Anything by Audio Technica should be a safe bet)

Senile-Snake
Senile-Snake
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 11:26 AM Reply

I can tell you from experience that the Blue Snowball is an EXELLENT microphone!
First of all, It's a USB mic, so you can plug it in and use it right away!
It's a condenser mic so it sounds just fantastic.
and the greatest thing about it: It's cheap!
I got mine for $70 bucks!

TheBenjerman
TheBenjerman
  • Member since: Nov. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 6/12/12 06:26 AM, TwoDoorCafeClub wrote:
At 6/12/12 05:26 AM, Dhurkst wrote: I've been considering getting into voice acting. What are some good microphones for voice recording? Thanks!
You want to avoid headsets and desktop mics. What you'll want to get that'll be good enough for Newgrounds is a USB condenser mic such as:

Blue Snowball
Blue Yeti (arguably the best an amateur could hope for in terms of price and quality)
Samson CO1U
Samson Meteor
Samson CO1
Behringer C-1

For some of those, you may need to buy a mic stand and/or a pop filter to cancel those poofing sounds into the mic.

If you are at all serious about voice acting or recording in general, I would stay as far away from USB mics as you can. Some of them are ok, but they are all "full packages." The condensers come with built in amps, preamps, d/a converters etc, so if you want to upgrade at all you have to buy an ENTIRELY NEW PRODUCT. Getting an audio interface with a preamp will get you started and you'll be able to use any non-usb mic, condenser or dynamic etc with it. This way you can upgrade individual components and if you decide to go pro you'll really need this kind of setup anyway. The starting price is a bit higher, but well worth it.


BBS Signature
Breezee
Breezee
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 02:38 AM Reply

If you are at all serious about voice acting or recording in general, I would stay as far away from USB mics as you can. Some of them are ok, but they are all "full packages." The condensers come with built in amps, preamps, d/a converters etc, so if you want to upgrade at all you have to buy an ENTIRELY NEW PRODUCT. Getting an audio interface with a preamp will get you started and you'll be able to use any non-usb mic, condenser or dynamic etc with it. This way you can upgrade individual components and if you decide to go pro you'll really need this kind of setup anyway. The starting price is a bit higher, but well worth it. :

Completely true. Even the quality of the preamps in an audio interface make a huge deal about how the sound translates over to digital recording. You could get a really nice mic and the interface may not be able to obtain the necessary gain without causing distortion to recording.
A great voice over mic is the EV RE20 (Dynamic Cardioid Mic) But it will require Phantom power. I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but a few great purchases is better than many poor purchases. Trust me!

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Musician
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 05:58 AM Reply

If ur on a budget the go to mic has always been the Shure SM58.


no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
TwoDoorCafeClub
TwoDoorCafeClub
  • Member since: Jun. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 06:08 AM Reply

At 6/13/12 02:38 AM, Breezee wrote:
If you are at all serious about voice acting or recording in general, I would stay as far away from USB mics as you can. Some of them are ok, but they are all "full packages." The condensers come with built in amps, preamps, d/a converters etc, so if you want to upgrade at all you have to buy an ENTIRELY NEW PRODUCT. Getting an audio interface with a preamp will get you started and you'll be able to use any non-usb mic, condenser or dynamic etc with it. This way you can upgrade individual components and if you decide to go pro you'll really need this kind of setup anyway. The starting price is a bit higher, but well worth it. :
Completely true. Even the quality of the preamps in an audio interface make a huge deal about how the sound translates over to digital recording. You could get a really nice mic and the interface may not be able to obtain the necessary gain without causing distortion to recording.
A great voice over mic is the EV RE20 (Dynamic Cardioid Mic) But it will require Phantom power. I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but a few great purchases is better than many poor purchases. Trust me!

I wouldn't recommend somebody who is new and trying to get into voice acting, to go for a complex and expensive setup costing hundreds of $. USB mics are an average $100 and some can give very good voice quality that is certainly good enough for voice-acting at an amateur standard if you know how to edit well (and most importantly, more than acceptable for Newgrounds or Machinima/Mods). I repeat, for a newbie, there is no point investing in amps etc. It's as much a trial to see how much one enjoys voice acting as anything else. Once you get the hang of the basics and you want to get more serious, then fine, go for the better set-up.

Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 06:20 AM Reply

looks like someone already mentioned microphones that require phantom power, and if you happen to go that route, i suggest picking up this puppy right hurr. i just got this thing the other day, and fuck, it sounds amazing, compared to blue snowball microphone at any rate. you're probably better off buying a usb condenser, though. message me if you're interested in buying my old snowball off me!

Dhurkst
Dhurkst
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 05:11 PM Reply

At 6/13/12 06:20 AM, Knoxius wrote: looks like someone already mentioned microphones that require phantom power, and if you happen to go that route, i suggest picking up this puppy right hurr. i just got this thing the other day, and fuck, it sounds amazing, compared to blue snowball microphone at any rate. you're probably better off buying a usb condenser, though. message me if you're interested in buying my old snowball off me!

That MXL 990 looks really good, but the description says it's wired with a Mogami cable. Is it one of those cables with massive connectors that can't fit into standard headphone ports? If so, I'll need to buy an adapter for it or something.

Dhurkst
Dhurkst
  • Member since: Nov. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Good mics for voice recording Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 6/16/12 05:11 PM, Dhurkst wrote:
At 6/13/12 06:20 AM, Knoxius wrote: looks like someone already mentioned microphones that require phantom power, and if you happen to go that route, i suggest picking up this puppy right hurr. i just got this thing the other day, and fuck, it sounds amazing, compared to blue snowball microphone at any rate. you're probably better off buying a usb condenser, though. message me if you're interested in buying my old snowball off me!
That MXL 990 looks really good, but the description says it's wired with a Mogami cable. Is it one of those cables with massive connectors that can't fit into standard headphone ports? If so, I'll need to buy an adapter for it or something.

Never mind that, I forgot about the phantom power supply. Would I just need to plug the mic into the phantom power supply, and plug the phantom into my computer?