00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

444rgh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Family Guy Vs American Dad

12,668 Views | 96 Replies

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 07:31:28

At 6/12/12 03:47 AM, jjjkuk wrote: Don't tell me you can't sit there and watch it.

I can't sit there and watch it.

Minecraft - IAmJim .,--,. Steam - IAmJim

Sig made by Squidbit.

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 12:04:41

American Dad doesn't rely on flashbacks that have nothing to do with the "plot" in anyway shape and form. Superior to Family Guy in everyway.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 12:10:39

American Dad would be my preference. I think Family Guy has had its run and now needs to be put to sleep.

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 13:45:23

I wonder what Trey Parker and Matt Stone think of "American Dad"? I know they said they hate "Family Guy" but really only because of the neverending cutaway gags they use. They take pride in making jokes that are relevant to a story. AD seems to completely ignore that and if you really look into it, it seems like the jokes are in fact relevant to the story. That alone makes it a better show than "Family Guy". AD also has much better characters, IMHO.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 14:05:00

I really hate when Family Guy shows clips about Conway Twitty singing.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 14:21:30

Family Guy, despite it's shortcomings it just has more history and remains the centerpiece.

There is much to be said for American dad, the premise and layout which emphasises plot is superior to Family guy which seems to rely on stock characters and going off the wall. American Dad just isn't as well developed as family guy though, the antics of stewie and brian, the star wars parodies and the depth that the series has delved into the characters is just far more intellectual. The valentines day episode of American Dad disappointed me, it reminded me of the later simpsons and later futurama where the character spoke very slowly to fill time and cliches composed most of the dialogue, luckily this is the only episode I have seen this in. Family guy on the other hand nearly butchered some of the characters, if you're going to use stock characters you should stick with it or you'll leave the audience wondering whether the change in personality is due to the plot or due to some arbitrary decision by the maker, Peter went from being a "typical new england guy" to being a pervert, Meg went from being an awkward teenager to being subject to severe bullying, Stewie went from being an evil baby trying to take over the world to being maximum gay. Family guy seems to have redeemed itself in these areas however, the newer episodes have reeled back in Peter's creepy behavior that was more in place with quagmire or the old guy, the episode examing Meg's place as the "lightning rod" of the family justified all the previous and sometimes tiresome meanness and brian's observations of stewie's gayness have made it amusing again.

I would say at a certain point American dad was near to eclipsing family guy but now the newer episodes have pushed family guy above it.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 16:14:31

At 6/12/12 02:21 PM, bismuthfeldspar wrote: Family Guy, despite it's shortcomings it just has more history and remains the centerpiece.

There is much to be said for American dad, the premise and layout which emphasises plot is superior to Family guy which seems to rely on stock characters and going off the wall. American Dad just isn't as well developed as family guy though, the antics of stewie and brian, the star wars parodies and the depth that the series has delved into the characters is just far more intellectual. The valentines day episode of American Dad disappointed me, it reminded me of the later simpsons and later futurama where the character spoke very slowly to fill time and cliches composed most of the dialogue, luckily this is the only episode I have seen this in. Family guy on the other hand nearly butchered some of the characters, if you're going to use stock characters you should stick with it or you'll leave the audience wondering whether the change in personality is due to the plot or due to some arbitrary decision by the maker, Peter went from being a "typical new england guy" to being a pervert, Meg went from being an awkward teenager to being subject to severe bullying, Stewie went from being an evil baby trying to take over the world to being maximum gay. Family guy seems to have redeemed itself in these areas however, the newer episodes have reeled back in Peter's creepy behavior that was more in place with quagmire or the old guy, the episode examing Meg's place as the "lightning rod" of the family justified all the previous and sometimes tiresome meanness and brian's observations of stewie's gayness have made it amusing again.

I would say at a certain point American dad was near to eclipsing family guy but now the newer episodes have pushed family guy above it.

I think (personally) that when Family Guy tries to focus on one main character, it becomes at least tolerable compared to the other episodes, which normally try to juggle all these characters at once and have jokes being spewed out all the time. Now there is a half-exception that I would make for the show, with the the only decent episode from Season 9. It was sort of a murder-mystery with all of the characters in a mansion and trying to piece together everything while still maintaining some at least okay or decent jokes. One major thing I like about it is it's consistency with the characters. All of the characters that end up getting killed remain dead for the next episodes, making it a little easier to put the episodes into some kinds of time-wise order.

Overall, episodes for Family Guy would seem to be hit-or-miss, with an exception of most of the later seasons, which were crap.

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick

Check out my Reddit, dudes.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 16:29:32

At 6/11/12 03:11 PM, FishTalesChannel wrote: We all know that either Family Guy or American Dad are the best Comedy Animations on TV
)

Simpsons is better, and it stopped being funny three years ago.

Both are terrible shows. Futurama is a damn sight better. Robot Chicken is a decent enough sketch show. Adult Swim was funny. Get into English TV and there's at least a few good ones.

Taste is personal, but damn they're bad shows.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 19:56:35

At 6/11/12 03:48 PM, Sequenced wrote: Southpark, Futurama, and old simpsons are way much better than family guy.

This
Family guy sucks dick and so do the rest of the clones they all have an idiot dad,a smart mom, a nerdy kid,a rebellious daughter,a Toodler(not in american dad),and a non-human that talks.

This is my badly made signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 20:11:14

American Dad? Family Guy?
bullshit. Adventure Time is the greatest cartoon in existence. Period.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 20:13:02

At 6/12/12 08:11 PM, Cool-Points wrote: American Dad? Family Guy?

If we are going to argue about children animated shows instead of adult cartoons, then My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic would beat the living shit out of Adventure Time.

Still, Adventure Time isn't shit.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 20:18:00

At 6/12/12 08:13 PM, Fluttershy wrote:
At 6/12/12 08:11 PM, Cool-Points wrote: American Dad? Family Guy?
If we are going to argue about children animated shows instead of adult cartoons, then My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic would beat the living shit out of Adventure Time.

Still, Adventure Time isn't shit.

lol are you kidding? Adventure Time has made me laugh harder, and in many ways that family guy just can't. i watched the first two episodes of season one of My Little Pony. Other than the fact that all the ponies have amazing asses that I would drill the fuck out of, I don't understand the appeal. it's no different than any other little kid's show.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 20:27:53

At 6/12/12 08:18 PM, Cool-Points wrote:
Other than the fact that all the ponies have amazing asses that I would drill the fuck out of,

LMFAO.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 20:49:35

Family Guy and American Dad coming on tv 20 fucking times a day isn't making me like them any better.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 22:27:18

i don't really like family guy or american dad anymore because, as much as i like to watch an episode of something i like a 2nd time, [adult swim] just rapes them for me every night.
But for fun i'll contribute this idea i just now had:
WHAT IF- in the next peter vs. chicken fight, before they start fighting (and i like to imagine them in a broken down warehouse, about to go for the 'big-finish closure' battle while there's heavy lightning outside), the giant chicken smiles, starts to UNZIP himself, and reveals himself as Stan Smith.

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-12 22:57:51

Adventure time and MLP?

Adventure time can go suck a barrel of dick. Sure it's better then most of the shit on CN, but it's so godamn homo any of it's humor is shot down by a pedo dog and some try hard kid being "bros".

Moved to new account.

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 01:27:08

At 6/12/12 02:21 PM, bismuthfeldspar wrote: Family Guy, despite it's shortcomings it just has more history and remains the centerpiece.

the episode examing Meg's place as the "lightning rod" of the family justified all the previous and sometimes tiresome meanness and brian's observations of stewie's gayness have made it amusing again.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I hated that episode, and that little speech of how Meg's abuse is holding the family together was crap. Apparently the family can't stay together without mercilessly bullying (often violently) Meg. And I hated how Meg just accepted it like it just made sense.

American Dad is better in my opinion. Lately FG has been getting insufferable. The episodes have been getting way too political lately. I know it's the same in AD, but that show is more politically based. Character-wise, Brian, Lois, and Bonnie somewhat have been ruining it for me. Brian is a horny liberal dick (apparently even woman in that city is into bestiality), Lois is an annoying hypocrite (cheating on Peter even though she claims to be against cheating, and saying things like how men can't be sexually harassed), and Bonnie keeps trying to cheat on Joe, even though she also gets mad at Joe when he cheats. I can't stand those three characters, and they end up ruining the show for me.

One last thing. I really hated the episode where Meg goes to France and is abducted into a sex ring. That episode didn't take the topic of sex slavery very seriously at all, and it was awful.

I scream! You scream! We all scream for ice cream!

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 01:29:07

Neither. Simpsons is the best.

BADUMBUMBUMDEBUMBUM

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 01:46:58

At 6/11/12 04:02 PM, Travis wrote: Archer is, by far, the best animated comedy on TV right now.

This guy...is alright.

but still an ass.

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157

You shouldn't have done that....

Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 01:53:21

At 6/12/12 08:49 PM, RightWingGamer wrote:
At 6/12/12 08:18 PM, Cool-Points wrote: i watched the first two episodes of season one of My Little Pony.
I had the same problem with those two episodes. Believe me, it gets alot better.

It's a fucking kids cartoon. How good could it be?

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 02:16:15

At 6/13/12 01:27 AM, icecreammac wrote:

the episode examing Meg's place as the "lightning rod" of the family justified all the previous and sometimes tiresome meanness and brian's observations of stewie's gayness have made it amusing again.

The writers have admitted that they made Meg a punching bag because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE!

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 11:23:18

After the episode about Family Guy's cutaway gags was made fun of, they recieved letters from people at "The Simpsons" and "King Of The Hill" stating they hated FG even more than SP did. It kind of makes me wonder what those people think of AD. I mean, really the only complaint (or at least the main one) is that they make random jokes, but AD doesn't have any of that. Trey Parker even said FG could be an amazing show if it didn't have gags, so AD's basically FG without the gags.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 13:33:07

Definitely not the best comedy animations on TV at the moment, but I find both watchable really. I won't jump on the hate bandwagon. But I prefer American Dad.

The best animated comedy I'd have to say is Futurama.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 14:03:38

For the record The Boondocks is greater then all of them.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 14:05:42

Family Guy actually occasionally makes me laugh. I hate American Dad. I can't stand that stupid alien.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 14:14:49

At 6/13/12 11:30 AM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 6/12/12 02:05 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I really hate when Family Guy shows clips about Conway Twitty singing.
You said it. Thats just lazy writing..

Is it suppose to be joke? They should hire new joke writers.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 14:36:37

At 6/13/12 02:14 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 6/13/12 11:30 AM, NuclearWarFare wrote:
At 6/12/12 02:05 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: I really hate when Family Guy shows clips about Conway Twitty singing.
You said it. Thats just lazy writing..
Is it suppose to be joke? They should hire new joke writers.

I think it's just padding under the guise of an attempt at humor.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 14:40:35

What pisses me off is when FG they revive old jokes that has long been dead such as

Bird is the word

as stated kanye twitty

peter trips and injures his kneee

I'm all for shout outs but there just randomnly thrown in without even trying to be humorous. Execpt for that Kanye Twitty crap that shit was never funny.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 15:02:37

Futurama is obviously the best!! Then Aqua Teen-- erm I mean Aqua Something You Know Whatever!! Then probablyy King of the Hill, then Boondocks...

THEN American Dad, every other cartoon, and finally Family Guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Family Guy Vs American Dad 2012-06-13 15:46:29

At 6/13/12 02:40 PM, II2none wrote: as stated kanye twitty

Execpt for that Kanye Twitty crap

*Conway

And yes I do agree that those jokes are terrible, especially the Bird is The Word joke. It was never funny, what makes them think it would be be funny if they did it again?

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick

Check out my Reddit, dudes.