Be a Supporter!

Mouse or Tablet?

  • 989 Views
  • 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Programmer
Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-11 14:54:27 Reply

Hey people of the forum, how many of you use a mouse and how many a drawing tablet?

Share why and pros/cons. Also for those that use a mouse could you lend a few tips on how to make animations better, and art for animations?

JKR
JKR
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-11 14:59:53 Reply

Tablet. Tablet. Always a tablet. ALWAYS.

If you want to pursue art, it is the best investment you can make (besides time and practice). Do not limit yourself with a mouse. Can it be used? Yes, but that doesn't mean it should be.

Save up and get the best tablet you can. It is worth every penny.


BBS Signature
Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-11 15:01:07 Reply

Alright, I guess I will be moving to that within the next 2 weeks. Thanks =D

Larwick
Larwick
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-11 15:24:23 Reply

Yeah JKR is right, there really is no question as to what is better. When doing point-to-point you may feel better with a mouse, but then you can just switch on the fly.


BBS Signature
kmau
kmau
  • Member since: Sep. 23, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-12 06:16:23 Reply

I use a mouse. There are no pros to it, but I got used to it over time.


BBS Signature
CyanSandwich
CyanSandwich
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Programmer
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-12 07:30:59 Reply

Tablets are definitely better. There is the rare case when someone prefers a mouse over a tablet though.
They speed up the drawing process and allow for smoother lines. If you have the money for it, you should buy one.

That doesn't mean you can't use a mouse though. I did for quite a while; It's just more tedious.


BBS Signature
MistaDad
MistaDad
  • Member since: Apr. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-12 16:59:36 Reply

If you want a tablet, then you should consider getting the Wacom Bamboo Pen Bamboo Pen it's really easy to use and setup. And really good quality. Replacement tips are cheap too.

Doctor-Pepper
Doctor-Pepper
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-12 17:11:49 Reply

Mouse
Pros: Cheap. You already own it.
Cons: Everything else

Table
Pros: The only real freedom to draw. Specially the Cintiq series, together with photoshop, makes drawing on paper with a pen, feel unresponsive and hideous.
Cons: Cheaper tablets have a some noticeable lag. More expensive tablets can be heavy on the pocket if you have no income

Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-12 21:20:04 Reply

At 6/12/12 04:59 PM, MistaDad wrote: If you want a tablet, then you should consider getting the Wacom Bamboo Pen Bamboo Pen it's really easy to use and setup. And really good quality. Replacement tips are cheap too.

Actually that tablet was the exact one I was going to get when I got some dough.

At 6/12/12 05:11 PM, Doctor-Pepper wrote: Mouse
Pros: Cheap. You already own it.
Cons: Everything else

Table
Pros: The only real freedom to draw. Specially the Cintiq series, together with photoshop, makes drawing on paper with a pen, feel unresponsive and hideous.
Cons: Cheaper tablets have a some noticeable lag. More expensive tablets can be heavy on the pocket if you have no income

Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind when buying and using one.

MusicHobbit
MusicHobbit
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-13 02:21:02 Reply

I use a widescreen Trust tablet I acquired from Amazon for about £25. It had a recommended retail price of £60 when I bought it, but there was some sort of offer on so I got the cheaper price!

It is definitely worth it getting a tablet. I had to put up with a mouse for two years before I was allowed to buy one, and animation and game design was a nightmare (I used Scratch at that point, so everything was pixelated anyway). I recommend you get one with a large working area but a high pixel density, as this will allow you to have room to work and maintain smooth lines at the same time.


BBS Signature
EdwardRech
EdwardRech
  • Member since: May. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-13 09:35:59 Reply

A tablet is used by most/many people (Eddsworld, for example.). But, you need to be able to draw with a pencil pretty well if you want a tablet. If you are bad at drawing, I don't see a trason to get one until you are a bit better. I'm pretty bad at drawing, so I am sticking with a mouse right now.


Yay.

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Member since: Jul. 4, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-13 10:30:11 Reply

I personally use a tablet PC but there are some people that use the mouse pretty well. I can never get used to a Wacom pad. I wish I have the money to get a Cintiq with a powerful desktop. If your taking any art classes in college, I suggest you to ask a professor to let you give a test run of a wacom pad. A wacom pad is not for everyone which is what I discovered.


Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

MusicHobbit
MusicHobbit
  • Member since: Jun. 12, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-13 12:42:06 Reply

At 6/13/12 10:30 AM, KhanhCPham wrote: I personally use a tablet PC but there are some people that use the mouse pretty well. I can never get used to a Wacom pad. I wish I have the money to get a Cintiq with a powerful desktop. If your taking any art classes in college, I suggest you to ask a professor to let you give a test run of a wacom pad. A wacom pad is not for everyone which is what I discovered.

A Cintiq is definitely on my wishlist too! However, I first wish to purchase a £1000 keyboard, so that may be a problem...


BBS Signature
Larwick
Larwick
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-13 14:17:25 Reply

At 6/13/12 09:35 AM, EdwardRech wrote: A tablet is used by most/many people (Eddsworld, for example.). But, you need to be able to draw with a pencil pretty well if you want a tablet. If you are bad at drawing, I don't see a trason to get one until you are a bit better. I'm pretty bad at drawing, so I am sticking with a mouse right now.

I disagree. If you can't draw with a pencil, then sticking with a mouse will only hinder your progress. Unless by 'sticking with a mouse' you mean to not draw digitally at all. If you are that bad at drawing you should practice traditionally for a while before spending money on a tablet.


BBS Signature
EdwardRech
EdwardRech
  • Member since: May. 25, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-13 14:18:00 Reply

At 6/13/12 12:42 PM, MusicHobbit wrote:
A Cintiq is definitely on my wishlist too! However, I first wish to purchase a Ã'£1000 keyboard, so that may be a problem...

Uh... i'm sorry for stupidness but why would you need a 1000 pound keyboard??? :)


Yay.

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-14 12:37:52 Reply

At 6/13/12 02:18 PM, EdwardRech wrote:
At 6/13/12 12:42 PM, MusicHobbit wrote:
A Cintiq is definitely on my wishlist too! However, I first wish to purchase a Ãf'Ã'£1000 keyboard, so that may be a problem...
Uh... i'm sorry for stupidness but why would you need a 1000 pound keyboard??? :)

Yea i agree with Ludwick or whatever his name was. You need to understand the fundamentals of drawing for your drawings to be good, with a mouse OR a Tablet or anything really. An expensive tablet doesnt instantly make you into the next Adam Phillllips.

I use a mouse cause im a cheapskate. I've been using it for around 10 years now and I like it. I am pretty particular about the mouse I use. But overall, my mouse costs 10 dollars to replace and I have 5 on hand. Though I've never needed to replace it yet. Thats my one complain about a tablet. From the people I talk to, their shelf life is like a few years, then the pen goes bad or it stops responding etc. A good ol wired optical mouse can last you awhile.

I do miss not being able to have pressure sensitivity by using a mouse. But im an insensitive all around anyway.


None

BMT2126StudiosMK
BMT2126StudiosMK
  • Member since: Jul. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-15 16:41:07 Reply

At 6/11/12 02:54 PM, Archxiao wrote: Hey people of the forum, how many of you use a mouse and how many a drawing tablet?

Share why and pros/cons. Also for those that use a mouse could you lend a few tips on how to make animations better, and art for animations?

The first flash i made with a mouse

Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-15 22:59:32 Reply

Okay, so while this is all helpful I am not very good at drawing by hand. Which leads me to my question; Do artist use drawing tablets over mice because it is a personal preference or is it because they are actually better? I say this because I am using my mouse, and while it does take a lot longer I am doing okay with it and I happen to like it now that I have gotten slightly better and my confidence in my skills are better (albeit I know that I am not THAT great).

KhanhCPham
KhanhCPham
  • Member since: Jul. 4, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-16 00:05:15 Reply

At 6/15/12 10:59 PM, Archxiao wrote: Okay, so while this is all helpful I am not very good at drawing by hand. Which leads me to my question; Do artist use drawing tablets over mice because it is a personal preference or is it because they are actually better? I say this because I am using my mouse, and while it does take a lot longer I am doing okay with it and I happen to like it now that I have gotten slightly better and my confidence in my skills are better (albeit I know that I am not THAT great).

"Do artist use drawing tablets over mice because it is a personal preference or is it because they are actually better? "
-It depends on the animator but I know a lot prefer to a tool over a mouse. Many here use a Wacom pad but I use a tablet pc(drawing on the screen) because it feels more natural for me.

"I say this because I am using my mouse, and while it does take a lot longer I am doing okay with it and I happen to like it now that I have gotten slightly better and my confidence in my skills are better (albeit I know that I am not THAT great)."
-If you feel you are confident with the mouse and can get better with it, than go with the mouse. A major pitfall I have with creation is that I always have dilemma of what is the best tool to use. I always end up over thinking and not doing any actual experimentation. I suggest you try to loan a pad somewhere or get the wacom bamboo (the cheapest pad). I can never get used to the pad but I did played with it enough that I am 100% certain sure that it isnt for me.


Currently doing short rough animations here http://khanhcpham.deviantart.com/

Archxiao
Archxiao
  • Member since: Jun. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Programmer
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-16 00:25:37 Reply

Alright I see, well I will try one. I think I have a friend that has one.

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-16 11:21:56 Reply

At 6/15/12 10:59 PM, Archxiao wrote: Okay, so while this is all helpful I am not very good at drawing by hand. Which leads me to my question; Do artist use drawing tablets over mice because it is a personal preference or is it because they are actually better?

They can be better. Alot of people who draw alot traditionally find that going to a tablet is the most natural transition, because your hand is actually holding and moving as it would if you had a pencil and paper. More so if you have a cintiq id assume. With a mouse youre more or less drawing with a 'rock'. I dunno i got used to it and prefer it. I like having a scroll wheel and stuff. Though i've heard you can have presets on your tablet to streamline those tasks as well.


None

Emrox
Emrox
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-06-16 11:27:10 Reply

I prefer using mice for better accuracy, but until they come up with a pressure sensitive one, I have to stick with tablets.


BBS Signature
Doctor-Pepper
Doctor-Pepper
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-07-06 08:21:34 Reply

Ordered Wacom Bamboo tablet a few weeks ago, 80 euro incl shipping.
Accuracy, feel, featureset - everything is perfect. I even use it as a mouse for my netbook. Definitively worth the money.

MacDonaldFin
MacDonaldFin
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-07-06 13:13:12 Reply

It depends what sort of animation style you are going for. Like if you want to be doing sprite animations go for a mouse for the accuracy. In most other cases go for a tablet if you have go the money, I would suggest a Wacom brand as I've had the same one for 4 years and hasn't broken at all.

JellyDraft
JellyDraft
  • Member since: Oct. 31, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-07-08 01:22:02 Reply

At 6/12/12 06:16 AM, kmau wrote: I use a mouse. There are no pros to it, but I got used to it over time.

Why would you do that to yourself?

kmau
kmau
  • Member since: Sep. 23, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Animator
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-07-08 10:09:25 Reply

At 7/8/12 01:22 AM, JellyDraft wrote:
At 6/12/12 06:16 AM, kmau wrote: I use a mouse. There are no pros to it, but I got used to it over time.
Why would you do that to yourself?

Money


BBS Signature
avhdxrz
avhdxrz
  • Member since: Feb. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Artist
Response to Mouse or Tablet? 2012-07-16 16:21:27 Reply

At 7/8/12 10:09 AM, kmau wrote:
At 7/8/12 01:22 AM, JellyDraft wrote:
At 6/12/12 06:16 AM, kmau wrote: I use a mouse. There are no pros to it, but I got used to it over time.
Why would you do that to yourself?
Money

you could use a monoprice tablet it's about $40 and works pretty well