• 283 Replies
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-12 22:12:08

At 6/12/12 09:48 PM, Pahgawk wrote: Hmm, it's looking like I might have to compile my entry for this round as a video file rather than an swf. I'll have to see if it's more effort to edit everything outside of Flash or to bring everything back into Flash to edit it.

You just wanna try out the new video feature on newgrounds, don't you? :)

I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-12 22:34:23

At 6/12/12 09:48 PM, Pahgawk wrote: Hmm, it's looking like I might have to compile my entry for this round as a video file rather than an swf. I'll have to see if it's more effort to edit everything outside of Flash or to bring everything back into Flash to edit it.

edit how? I animate what i can in flash, edit it with any effects I can't do in flash by hand then put it back into flash and make an swf. Tho the image quality after compiling an flv to an swf goes way way down plus size issues too.

Is the video player useful? Otherwise i'd just straight up, upload a video file. :/

Pahgawk
Pahgawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 06:43:02

At 6/12/12 10:12 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: You just wanna try out the new video feature on newgrounds, don't you? :)

Well, it would mean not being able to use flash ads, and I also wouldn't be able to add any easter eggs and hidden buttons and stuff...

At 6/12/12 10:34 PM, jagondudo wrote: edit how? I animate what i can in flash, edit it with any effects I can't do in flash by hand then put it back into flash and make an swf. Tho the image quality after compiling an flv to an swf goes way way down plus size issues too.

At the moment, I seem to just be using Toon Boom to animate everything, which can export swf files, so I could import these back into Flash (with the exception of a few scenes that would need to be imported as flv), but then the issue becomes editing audio and lip sync. If I import an swf into Flash, it doesn't preserve the layers, which makes lip sync rather inconvenient. I could always just add the sound in Toon Boom, lip sync, and then re-add the sound in Flash, but at a certain point I wonder if that's worth it.

BBS Signature
pharynroller123
pharynroller123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 06:56:48

how about best and worst sex animation ever

Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 10:59:34

At 6/13/12 06:56 AM, pharynroller123 wrote: how about best and worst sex animation ever

lolwut

BBS Signature
CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 11:04:05

At 6/11/12 10:15 PM, DaveBruno wrote: Ive recently come under some... forced inspiration... Theres a small chance I may fight alongside you troops this round, as I was thinking of a way to deal with this... forced inspiration... and I think animating my emotions may do the trick, luckily the theme works with what I had in mind anyway... We'll see, good luck everyone!

Awesome, I think that'd make this round pretty special if you do. Especially if we could judge your movie in return :p
Looking forward to your animated catharsis!

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 11:54:51

Pahgawk and jagondudo bother have MP4 upload access now if you ever need it. If anyone else wants it, let me know!

Jagondudo - for future video stuff you should try prepping it as an H.264 MP4 and uploading a 1080p video. You will want to get the compression to something manageable for web viewing. Right now we don't process the videos on our end but we're setting up a processing server to do that (so there are good web, mobile, etc. formats available).

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 13:06:36

At 6/13/12 11:54 AM, TomFulp wrote: Pahgawk and jagondudo bother have MP4 upload access now if you ever need it. If anyone else wants it, let me know!

Jagondudo - for future video stuff you should try prepping it as an H.264 MP4 and uploading a 1080p video. You will want to get the compression to something manageable for web viewing. Right now we don't process the videos on our end but we're setting up a processing server to do that (so there are good web, mobile, etc. formats available).

If possible i'd like to ask for one... I still think about making my parts in Toon Boom and it's texture brushes don't export to .swf

Hikarian
Hikarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 13:28:42

At 6/13/12 11:54 AM, TomFulp wrote: Pahgawk and jagondudo bother have MP4 upload access now if you ever need it. If anyone else wants it, let me know!

I wouldn't mind getting access as well! Though it will probably be a little while before it's really relevant for me.

I'm getting this vibe that everything has to be made in flash on Newgrounds, because that's what most people do, but isn't that just because it's the easiest thing to work with when it comes to swf files? It would be fun to experiment with a project made with TVPaint, After Effects and Photoshop :)

BBS Signature
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 14:29:19

Man, I'd really love to branch out and try ToonBoom or use AfterEffects, but I just don't have the money...

BBS Signature
test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 14:30:34

At 6/13/12 01:28 PM, Hikarian wrote: It would be fun to experiment with a project made with TVPaint, After Effects and Photoshop :)

You can do animations in other programs just fine. Newgrounds needs to expand their range anyway. It can't forever stick with swf.

Personally, I can't stand After Effects. It's such a busy program with commands and filters all around. It's a mess. I know it's mainly for intros and that sort of thing, but having to reference every damn (sequence of) drawing(s) really gets on my nerves.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 14:36:20

At 6/13/12 02:29 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: Man, I'd really love to branch out and try ToonBoom or use AfterEffects, but I just don't have the money...

Yeah man, same.
Maybe after the tournament I might look into some trial editions to see what I can make and then get myself a copy once* I stop being poor. TvPaint looks really interesting.
Otherwise I don't think I have any need for the MP4 upload atm.

* if..

BBS Signature
Pahgawk
Pahgawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 16:21:16

Oh wow, thanks, Tom!

At 6/13/12 02:29 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: Man, I'd really love to branch out and try ToonBoom or use AfterEffects, but I just don't have the money...

I'm in the really, really fortunate situation where I was given an old-ish (yet still very functional) copy of Toon Boom by my school and my parents already own bits and pieces of Adobe's collection for their own work, so I'm pretty much set to go. Although, not everyone is in this position. There is some free stuff you might want to try out, such as Pencil, which is pretty intuitive, and Synfig, which is pretty complex and unconventional but seems like it can do a whole lot for tweened animation.

BBS Signature
McBinkles
McBinkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 19:31:19

i have a feeling this is going to be the most serious round so far

poops

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 19:43:39

At 6/13/12 07:31 PM, McBinkles wrote: i have a feeling this is going to be the most serious round so far

Probably, although there will most likely be at least one silly entry. I know if I were to think of something for this theme it would be jokey and dumb.

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 19:59:54

At 6/13/12 07:31 PM, McBinkles wrote: i have a feeling this is going to be the most serious round so far

This is actually unfortunate for me, 'cause I was hoping to put out at least one 'funny' movie by now. It seems as though I won't be doing that.

BBS Signature
CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 20:21:12

At 6/13/12 07:43 PM, BobyB64 wrote:
Probably, although there will most likely be at least one silly entry. I know if I were to think of something for this theme it would be jokey and dumb.

I can guarantee you my entry is going to be really silly this round. ^_^ I've finally settled on an idea i'm really excited about. I just finished writing the first rough draft and am going to go to bed now. Good Knight everybody.

BBS Signature
McBinkles
McBinkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 21:10:10

At 6/13/12 08:21 PM, CatFat wrote: Good Knight everybody.

what does he mean

WHAT DOES HE MEAN

poops

BBS Signature
ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 21:17:49

I'll definitely be going for silly again.

JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 21:54:26

At 6/13/12 09:10 PM, McBinkles wrote:

I can only assume that's a hint.

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 22:55:48

At 6/13/12 09:54 PM, JerrodStorm wrote:
At 6/13/12 09:10 PM, McBinkles wrote:
I can only assume that's a hint.

But what if it was an actual spelling error? and.. also somehow... it was italicized... somehow.

BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 22:59:25

At 6/13/12 02:36 PM, CatFat wrote: Yeah man, same.
Maybe after the tournament I might look into some trial editions to see what I can make and then get myself a copy once* I stop being poor. TvPaint looks really interesting.
Otherwise I don't think I have any need for the MP4 upload atm.
* if..

TvPaint Animation is definately worth looking at. I've messed around with it before and it has some pretty sweet features. It can handle a lot of blur and photoshoppy effects faster than flash can. Flash slows down with a few blur effects. And now their newest version has more cool stuff in it. Tho you'd have to work with bitmap instead of vector which annoys some people. Plus it can really super busy like after effects. Tho I like using both anyway hehe.

I might go with a serious tone on this one I think.

JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-13 23:07:42

At 6/13/12 10:59 PM, jagondudo wrote:
I might go with a serious tone on this one I think.

Same. I have a feeling yours and mine might look somewhat similar in style this time around.

BBS Signature
Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-14 04:50:56

Is the act of vomiting too profane?

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-14 06:49:13

At 6/14/12 04:50 AM, BPremo wrote: Is the act of vomiting too profane?

I got away with it.

Backwards, too.

BBS Signature
Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-14 07:10:30

At 6/14/12 06:49 AM, Emrox wrote:
At 6/14/12 04:50 AM, BPremo wrote: Is the act of vomiting too profane?
I got away with it.

Backwards, too.

This is true, thank you Emrox, the great NATA pioneer of vomit.

Shanejaya
Shanejaya
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-14 11:36:23

SECOND!!!!!1111!!!1one!!! :DDDD

I know what I want to do already. :)

3rd. No one called it :3

- N A T A - Intermediate Round!

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-14 17:48:43

Does anyone of you know a basic code to tell a movieclip to start on a different frame (of said movieclip, not main timeline)? It would save me lots of space for something really stupidly simple.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-14 18:02:39

At 6/14/12 05:48 PM, test-object wrote: Does anyone of you know a basic code to tell a movieclip to start on a different frame (of said movieclip, not main timeline)? It would save me lots of space for something really stupidly simple.

AS2:

yourMovieClip.gotoAndPlay(frameYouWantItToStartOn);

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Intermediate Round! 2012-06-14 18:04:34

For example: scene.gotoAndPlay(35);