00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Rated E 2012-06-10 02:42:19

Let's doing something a little bit different. Let's talk about video games and gamers; or as gamers used to be known as, players -- and even before that, just people. Let's go back to the 1970's of video games. This was the stone age of gaming, when really small blips and lines were a game. Funny thing is, that games were made on computers, played in universities and colleges by young adults and older adults.

Later in time, some arcade boxes started to appear. Where did they appear? In arcades? Nope. They appeared in bars and pool halls. For adults to play. Video games were meant for adults from the beginning. The question is then, when did the children become part of the video game spectrum? Some people say it would be during the 80's, during the Atari age. However with Atari it was more of a family thing than it was for children. There were so many choices during this time and it got to the point that we would hit the Video Game Crash of 1983.

Well 1985 came around and the Nintendo Entertainment System would come out. It would not be marketed as a video game console from the beginning. It would later on, but not from the start. It seemed that it was still a family console, but as the games started coming out for it, kids were jumping on it more than the adults were.

Now we have been growing more and more in technology, and with that more violent games have been released, with dark and realistic story lines. However despite the ESRB's rating of M on many games that mindless drone parents buy for their children it makes me wonder.

I'm not here to talk about violence in video games and children, that's a different issue entirely that has been beaten to death like a dead horse to the point that it's a political pinata. My question is though what counts as an adult oriented game? Does the simple tag of M for Mature mean this game is for adults? I would say no, or to put it more bluntly, ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT!

I mean yes Halo and Call of Duty are pretty violent video games. Does this make them adult oriented games? No not really. Yeah their stories can be engaging and creative, but overall they're pretty low brow in terms of storytelling. Like a cheap action movie with WAY TOO much of a budget.

What about Mass Effect? Well the set-up in it's story is open for you to make the choices. You can be best friends with this guy, or you can kill him. You can have sex with this girl, then cheat on her with this girl. You can even have sex with your best friend, cheat on him with a girl and then kill your best friend. Is this an adult oriented game though? Well yeah. Why? Because it deals with subject matters such as these that many people deal with from day to day basis. Not as extreme or graphic, but real.

L.A. Noire can be considered as an adult oriented game due to it's subject matter, character development, and overall story. Going from one crime scene to another in which case many of the crimes are actual crimes that have happened, no shit. So these are events that have been dealt with among adults. They are true situations.

Now both of these games are written and put together in this way. They're smart with their creation. I would say that they are adult oriented in other words meant for adults only. But does just using these subject matters make them so or can they go deeper?

Also what about other games such as Final Fantasy VI (a.k.a. Final Fantasy III in USA). Yes this game was meant to be played by the children who played Final Fantasy IV (a.k.a. Final Fantasy II in USA) and the first Final Fantasy game on NES. There are elements in Final Fantasy VI though that have subject matter intended for adults. You could say that it doesn't talk down to children, which you would be right.

Where does a game stand to be both for children and adults. And what makes a game adult oriented?

Questions of the Day
1. Name two games that you would consider adult oriented and why?
2. Which game do you think has something for both children and adults and why?
3. What was the first game you played with the Rated M for Mature rating?
4. Which Rated M for Mature rated game do you think deserves a lower rating and why?
5. What is your favorite video game snack food?

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 03:04:02

Absolutely wonderful article, I love when you do these, I can't wait for the next one, and I love the questions.

Questions of the Day

Deus Ex (Classic) because of its dramatic story filled with conspiracies, and the game actually philosophically challenges a player at certain points. You can choose any option, but what are the consequences? No child will understand/want to play the game. Heavy Rain was also definitely geared towards Adults with the story, subject matter, and everything else.

Red Dead Redemption has all the action and cowboy-gunfights that kiddies love, yet a fairly good plot with based on some serious shit for the adults.

Turok II for the N64

4. Which Rated M for Mature rated game do you think deserves a lower rating and why?

The Mass Effect series isn't all that violent, and a few curse words isn't enough to really mark it as M-rated. Also, there's no real nudity in the sex scenes, just a shot of characters wearing less clothes, then implied sex.

It's a tie between those stringy cheese sticks and grapes.

I'm the holder of the self proclaimed 'Biggest Douchebag on the Forums' award.

PSN/360 name : BerZerKer 123, and my Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 04:37:47

At 6/10/12 03:04 AM, explodingbunnies wrote: Absolutely wonderful article, I love when you do these, I can't wait for the next one, and I love the questions.

Well I thank you. I always like to take requests for the next article to write. Just shoot me a PM with your idea, or if you just want to talk about games.

Deus Ex (Classic) because of its dramatic story filled with conspiracies, and the game actually philosophically challenges a player at certain points. You can choose any option, but what are the consequences? No child will understand/want to play the game. Heavy Rain was also definitely geared towards Adults with the story, subject matter, and everything else.

I can't believe I didn't think of Deus Ex and Heavy Rain. I should feel ashamed for not thinking about those two.

Red Dead Redemption has all the action and cowboy-gunfights that kiddies love, yet a fairly good plot with based on some serious shit for the adults.

Could you give some more clarification on this? I mean when it comes to Red Dead Redemption I get the serious shit for the adults, but would that shit be too serious for children?

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 06:01:16

At 6/10/12 02:42 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Questions of the Day

I cant really say as i dont play too many rated M games, but i know of a few.
One: House of the Dead(and its sequels): I consider them adult cuz youre shooting bloodthirsty zombies, and when you do shoot them, they spray blood all over. Its one big bloodbath. Plus, its possible to come across headless zombies in that game I think.
Two: after saying HOTD, I couldnt really think of any others, but lets go with Gauntlet Dark Legacy: I wouldnt rate this one as high in the adult oriented category as HOTD, but its enough though. I would say so because its basically got all these monsters attacking you, some of which are zombies, ogres, mummies, etc, and when you kill them, their blood spills out before they disappear.
Oh, and let me list a 3rd
Three: Mortal Kombat series. I would rank this one right inbetween HOTD and GDL. I would say its adult oriented mainly because of the Fatalities that the series is famous for, but also because of the fights themselves, you often see blood coming out of the characters when they get punched, especially for uppercuts.

the Halo series. I like to say its a fantastical shooter game. It gives the shooting stuff part for adults, and the laser beam type guns for kids(which we all know they love)

Probably one of the earlier Mortal Kombat games. if they werent rated M though, then im not sure Ive played a M rated game yet then

Like i said before, i dont play too many rated M games, so i honestly couldnt answer this

Chips, specifically Doritos, specifically Cool Ranch Doritos

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 08:18:57

Mass Effect, I can't really imagine many children playing it due to it being pretty focused on the story, and Grand Theft Auto IV since there are a lot of adult themes in it.

Halo, it has the very deep lore for adults and fast paced multiplayer for children (not to say that both can't be appreciated by both audiences.)

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Halo, I'd say it should be a 12 (or T for Teen in America) since theres only a bit of swearing and quite a lot of violence, nothing gory, and so many kids play it that its really not that bad at all.

Pepsi, Jaffa Cakes and pizza.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 13:16:12

Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. Massive intersecting storylines that kids probably wouldn't be able to comprehend/keep track of, as well as the violence does have some blood.

2. Which game do you think has something for both kids and adults and why?

Alright, get ready for a wall of text:
The Kingdom Hearts series. The Disney characters appeal to the younger audiences while bringing a sense of nostalgia to the older ones, as well as crafting an amazing storyline
The Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot games. The humor and storylines in both are amazing and hilarious, no matter how old you are.

It was either some GTA game my cousin had a few years ago, or Halo: Combat Evolved

Definatly the Halo games. After all, they're on the border between T and M.

Do you mean snack food while playing games, or from games? If while playing, pizza, p'zones, and breadsticks from Pizza Hut. If from a game, the mushrooms from the Mario series

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 14:09:53

A brilliant article, that makes me weep for the rest of the forum for not adhering to such quality.

Questions of the Day

Max Payne 3: Things only get progressively worse, Max fails to save the people he was paid to protect, poor people being abducted and used for organ harvesting by the truckload. It's a pretty adult plot, that can be unflinchingly brutal at times, especially regarding Max's depression and willingness to die to end it all.

The Witcher 2: Bear in mind I've only completed 2/3rds of the game. It's a well-woven story, that much is obvious.
But what seperates it from other games is that the different choices you can make are not pushed into the Good Guy/Bad Guy area. They're morally grey, and there are no handicaps. They're just a means to an end.

As cliche as it is, Portal. A brilliant learning curve, with an intriguing storyline and brilliant dialogue, but not too advanced for a child to play.

I believe it was Resident Evil 3, and I was around 6 or 7. My Uncle's fault, my parents did not approve or let me play it for long intervals.

Halo, undoubtedly. You shoot only aliens, there is no profanity/sexual content/drug use, and being in a Sci-Fi setting completely removes it from reality.

M&Ms. I can't abide greasy/sticky fingers on my controller, so being able to just pour a load in my mouth during intervals without compromising the cleanliness of my controller is nice.

Great Thread, I hope you do more.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 14:12:22

Pretty much any GTA game and maybe Bonetown.

GTA because let's face it kids shouldn't be playing even though we all have at that age and Bonetown because of it's XXX rating.

To be honest pretty much any Core Nintendo title. Nothing all too questionable in any of them and Nintendo is more concerned about making game that are fun.

American McGee's Alice.

Any Castlevania game for PS2. The only reason it's got an M rating is because the Enemies that bleed bleed. Normally it's just like green goop rather then blood or nothing at all cause it's a skeleton you are whipping. There is no cursing no gore nothing sexual. I'll admit it's these games don't seem to fit in either M or T but based on what get's an M rating these days the ESRB either needs to give out AO rating more often or add a rating in between T and M.

For now Team Fortress 2 but it I used to play Mario Kart Wii religiously and before that I played Unreal Tournament 2004 like crazy.

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 16:39:50

At 6/10/12 02:42 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
Questions of the Day

Mass Effect I know it's been stated t death but it was a perfect example because of the focus on story and how it mimics adult reality to an extent.

Saints Row 3- For obvious reasons.

GTA (all of em) - Seriously no kid should be playing these games (till they're 14 I guess). Realistic Violence, tons of language, you can actually have interactive sex in San Andreas. It's just to graphic for kids imo.

Burnout 3 - If the parents like racing and aren't stingy about trying different types of racers then they may give this a spin. the controls aren't that complex and it's easy to learn. The kid will obvious love it for the game play itself if they don't have much interest in cars to begin with.

*Insert Wii Sports game here* who doesn't like the idea of bowling or boxing your friend with interactive controls

Resident Evil 2 ( Age 8, couldn't handle it gave me nightmares for days in a row.)

Halo 3: I don't recall any usage of the "fuck" and the violence wasn't that bad not even when you encounter The Flood again.

Dr pepper and Pizza and Twizzlers.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 17:02:51

Great-One, do you by chance watch Extra Credits? Their latest episode deals with much of the same subject matter.

Questions of the Day

God of War (perhaps only the first two, or even the just the first one, since later games had less and less to do with the character Kratos and what he fights for and more to do with how gruesome of a death we can make out of these much larger bosses). Also, though somebody beat me to it, Heavy Rain. And not just because of topless women, it's because the characters were very realistic and put through surreal trials to test their willpower and resolve, among other things. You also didn't deal with characters who were shining beacons of hope and dignity. Everybody had flaws, and yet that didn't stop them from being heroes. And when you made a mistake, you were punished for it. Severely.

Bioshock. The gameplay focused around plasmids and stylish, upgradeable weapons as well as how you can combine them to serve under the current situation left for some very creative combat possibilities. After all, I can list about a half dozen reliable ways to take down a big daddy, and I haven't played the game in years. As for what appeals to adults, the partially political and dark undertone of the environments and characters craft a very compelling fiction about what true power is and how it affects the common man. The karma choices regarding saving or killing the little sisters also bring up the topic of how survivalism and heroism can clash.

007 Goldeneye for the N64. I believe I was six years old.

The Halo series. I haven't played every game, but really I think they are only guilty of small animated blood splatters and maybe a curse word or two. There are no adult themes such as drugs or sex.

I rarely snack while playing video games. I hate having to wipe my hands with a tissue before grabbing the controller again.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 20:12:12

At 6/10/12 05:02 PM, Gustavos wrote: Great-One, do you by chance watch Extra Credits? Their latest episode deals with much of the same subject matter.

No I don't. I'll take a look at it though. I normally include other sources who discuss something of similar nature to my topic.

Response to Rated E 2012-06-10 20:47:09

Questions of the Day

The Witcher 2 (the first one as well, but you only asked for 2) and Deus Ex (classic). Interesting atmospheres, heavy story telling, several conspiracies, and some interesting decisions that could lead to some severe consequences.

Rayman Origins. It's a fun, goofy, and challenging game that anyone can get into.

Halo: Combat Evolved

In its vanilla form, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was originally Teen until the esrb recognized that there were nude mods (and a couple of hanging corpses). Other then that it really wasn't that bad. Minor swearing, couple of blood spatters here and there, and the violence wasn't too bad. It was until the Dark Brotherhood where things started to get darker.

Could've asked for in-game snack item, unless you already did that. I was about to say Grass from Demon's Souls, but it's asking for MY snack food. Tie between chex mix or pretzels.

Xbox live: C0n Queso

PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten

Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature

Response to Rated E 2012-06-11 03:25:29

The Mass Effect series for the reasons you mentioned yourself, and some Silent Hill games and I'm thinking of Shattered Memories especially in this case since it doesn't lay its focus on combat (since there isn't any) but rather on the story which to be honest kids generally don't care about.

Don't really, Wii sports maybe? Don't have good reason why, just know my own dad loved to play it.

It could very well be any Mortal Kombat game or GTA game. But then again, I don't even know what counted as mature game when I was a kid.

Mass Effect, well at least the first game don't recall so much of the violence in mass effect 2, but in 1 it is nothing to graphic. I think it is because of the possibilities of sex then again you don't see anything and had it been a movie it could easily have been rated rated teen. Also the language in 1 is not foul, when the worst thing you may say is "screw".

Don't usually eat while I play games, but it have happened that I have bowl of chips next to me.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature