00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lipinski14D just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

C++ graphics library?

1,336 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

C++ graphics library? 2012-06-09 17:20:12

I've been fluent in C++ for a while but I never really got around to installing a graphics library. Recently I've been starting to want to make games in it, so which one should I choose? What makes that one good?

Response to C++ graphics library? 2012-06-09 18:25:23

At 6/9/12 05:20 PM, Sneak4000 wrote: I've been fluent in C++ for a while but I never really got around to installing a graphics library. Recently I've been starting to want to make games in it, so which one should I choose? What makes that one good?

I personally use SDL, because I found Great Tutorials for it, and it makes OpenGL a little easier!

Response to C++ graphics library? 2012-06-09 19:32:05

I just finished learning Allegro 5 which is the "easier" version of SDL. They're very similar, but SDL makes you do a lot of low level stuff that is pretty much the same every single time you make a game and is thus useless, but really it's just whatever you prefer. I found one particular tutorial that helped me understand everything so well that I can pretty much recite the process of making a game from scratch after just a week. He doesn't use objects/classes in the first set of tutorials but he also has a separate OOP course involving allegro that basically re-iterates what he does in the first tutorial, just with classes. Basically with those alone you should be good to go.

Response to C++ graphics library? 2012-06-10 04:30:01

http://freeglut.sourceforge.net/
Or, if you're under OS-X, you can just link GLUT.

Response to C++ graphics library? 2012-06-19 19:39:50

Hello.

You can try to use SDL or ALLEGRO libraries , this last one consist in an graphic library specifically oriented to game develop with a lot of useful functions for the game develop. You can also develop games with SDL because is a powerful graphic library but isn't entire specifically for games.

i have some experience with allegro and i can say is very easy and powerful for 2d games :).

Response to C++ graphics library? 2012-06-19 19:50:15

SFML is also worth checking out.

BBS Signature