• 103 Replies
Grent
Grent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 24th, 2012 @ 03:36 AM

At 6/23/12 10:04 PM, Archawn wrote: I spent a bit of time today preparing for the Game Jam. I set up a GoogleDoc form

Holy shit. I could not handle that level of organization. Kind of glad I'm a programmer so there's no chance of someone as organized as you sucking me up into your vortex of scheduling and documentation.

Venks
Venks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 24th, 2012 @ 07:38 AM

At 6/23/12 10:04 PM, Archawn wrote: I spent a bit of time today preparing for the Game Jam. I set up a GoogleDoc form that allows project members to add tasks to a public to-do list, from which they can mark off tasks as they work. I have a feeling it's going to help with communication on my team. We'll see how it goes!

Wow that looks really good for organizing things. I'm totally gonna try that out for myself.

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 24th, 2012 @ 09:54 AM

At 6/23/12 11:04 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 6/23/12 10:04 PM, Archawn wrote: I spent a bit of time today preparing for the Game Jam. I set up a GoogleDoc form
Looks good!
How about using Pipeline, though, like last game jam? (pipeline.gatech.cc.edu)

Pipeline didn't work out for us in the last Jam. My teammate found it a bit cumbersome, and we just ended up using a GoogleDoc to list tasks/goals/specs. I'm hoping that my spreadsheet will be a usable alternative.

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 07:27 PM

I still don't know what 'Kickball System' is, don't judge me, I am not from USA therefore I do not watch stuff you guys do and I have no clue what this is.

Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
blaker2000
blaker2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 08:02 PM

At 6/25/12 07:27 PM, CrazyRock wrote: I still don't know what 'Kickball System' is, don't judge me, I am not from USA therefore I do not watch stuff you guys do and I have no clue what this is.

Why just not the descrption in the game jam thread

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 25th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM

Jam is coming

are you prepared?

Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Noodle
Noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 04:30 PM

At 6/25/12 07:27 PM, CrazyRock wrote: I still don't know what 'Kickball System' is, don't judge me, I am not from USA therefore I do not watch stuff you guys do and I have no clue what this is.

Essentially the programmers pick their teams from pool of artists, musicians, etc.
Calling it a "kickball system" is because it's kind of a common thing in elementary school. Your class goes outside, 2 captains are picked at random and then they pick out their teams for the kickball game.

I'm really looking forward to this! I'm going to do my absolute best this time around to go for a semi original concept. I've had a blast every time so far, but it seems like these jams should be an outlet for things you wouldn't otherwise do. Rather than just some generic game skinned for the theme.

GAH!

BBS Signature
TharosTheDragon
TharosTheDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 09:48 PM

Can we have a more clear explanation of the kickball system? It starts on Thursday, but when on Thursday? Programmers are supposed to just pick one teammate at a time rather than picking their whole team at once, right? Are they supposed to pick the team members in a certain order based on the job? If every programmer needs to pick a teammate before the next round starts, what happens when programmers don't show up? Is there a time limit? Will we know when each round starts and stops beforehand? If a programmer misses one round is he/she automatically disqualified?

I got Flash CS4 in case you need something converted to CS3.

Venks
Venks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Will a thread or something be made for the recruitment? Or do the programmers just start shooting off PMs to the people who initially applied?

BBS Signature
Pikanjo
Pikanjo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 26th, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Looking at Archawn's organization ideas, I'm curious how other people plan to communicate/collaborate with their teams. I was thinking about using a git repo, but I've been thinking that less programmatically inclined citizens are less likely to be comfortable with it. I've since been thinking about google docs, and just basic A/IM, and lastly dumping-grounds.

Any other methods/mediums?

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

At 6/26/12 11:50 PM, Pikanjo wrote: Any other methods/mediums?

I always move for Dropbox and Skype.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
Wallross
Wallross
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

At 6/26/12 09:48 PM, TharosTheDragon wrote: Can we have a more clear explanation of the kickball system? It starts on Thursday, but when on Thursday? Programmers are supposed to just pick one teammate at a time rather than picking their whole team at once, right? Are they supposed to pick the team members in a certain order based on the job? If every programmer needs to pick a teammate before the next round starts, what happens when programmers don't show up? Is there a time limit? Will we know when each round starts and stops beforehand? If a programmer misses one round is he/she automatically disqualified?

You raise a lot of valid and serious issues, and I'd like to add another. What about ninja posts, where two people post the same request at a largely similar time? This would become a huge problem unless we got in some huge irc or skype chat or something.

MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 01:27 AM

The contest draws near, it would be very helpful to get a team selection system implemented and commenced now.

I'd like a day or two to work out communication before we get started it I could.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:21 AM

At 6/27/12 12:09 AM, Wallross wrote: You raise a lot of valid and serious issues, and I'd like to add another. What about ninja posts, where two people post the same request at a largely similar time? This would become a huge problem unless we got in some huge irc or skype chat or something.

I doubt that will be a problem. Whoever posts first will get it first, since it works on a "time" basis, anyway.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Grent
Grent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 06:42 AM

At 6/27/12 02:21 AM, egg82 wrote:
At 6/27/12 12:09 AM, Wallross wrote: You raise a lot of valid and serious issues, and I'd like to add another. What about ninja posts, where two people post the same request at a largely similar time? This would become a huge problem unless we got in some huge irc or skype chat or something.
I doubt that will be a problem. Whoever posts first will get it first, since it works on a "time" basis, anyway.

I agree. First post wins even if it's by seconds. It'll save us an argument later. I am still curious as to exactly when and how this will happen though.

CrazyRock
CrazyRock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 06:55 AM

At 6/26/12 04:30 PM, Goat-Man wrote: Essentially the programmers pick their teams from pool of artists, musicians, etc.
Calling it a "kickball system" is because it's kind of a common thing in elementary school. Your class goes outside, 2 captains are picked at random and then they pick out their teams for the kickball game.

Ohhh I get it, didn't know it was called a 'kickball system' in the US though. Thanks!

Thanks Chdonga for the signature. <3

BBS Signature
Blounty
Blounty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 07:45 AM

Might have friday off work, even more time to PREPARE.

Sig created by HighWay

BBS Signature
molkman
molkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

SERIOUSLY.

Publish a TIME on thursday when the kickball choosing is starting already. FIRST COME FIRST SERVE doesn't work when nobody knows WHEN to come. C'mon! This is pretty painful so far to not know a thing...

XO

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

It would be nice to know exactly how the kickball system will work. It seems like it could potentially just curtail into chaos if it's not setup right. Maybe this will be a more chaotic jam =P

BBS Signature
NoLanLabs
NoLanLabs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

I'd like to see an explanation of this as well, and before tomorrow... like an estimate of what time the thread goes up... Austin??

Happy Robot Day 2014! Play our latest GAME! It's in 3-D!

nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

Yeah Austin, geezaweezz!

AustinBreed
AustinBreed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:10 PM

Ahhh, sorry guys! OK, here's what I had in mind.

+ There will be a thread (NG BBS) posted at midnight tonight, East Coast Time. (11:00pm Central.) (I'll post a link in this thread and the main newspost.)
+ In the thread all the participants for the Game Jam will be listed under their appropriate jobs.
+ The programmers will each post their picks (1 artist, 1 musician, 1 wildcard). When I say "first come first serve" I mean whoever posts first gets to make their first pick. (I will be trying to update the pool of people every page.)
+ After each programmer has made their first picks, we will have another round of picking. We'll keep doing rounds of picking until every person who signed up has a team.
+ I'm sure we'll get to a point where there will be a programmer who signed up who hasn't come online to make his pick, and it'll be holding up the next round of picks. If it comes to that, we'll give the missing people an hour to make their picks and then we'll skip them.

When I was writing up the Jam stuff, I really wanted to have all the programmers meet up on some chat and make their picks one at a time, but I was reminded that most of us can barely expect all the people who signed up to make it to first day of jams, it'd be a disaster waiting to happen to expect all the programmers to show up at a specific time on a thread or chat.

Lemme know if you guys have any questions or comments.

At 6/26/12 11:50 PM, Pikanjo wrote: Looking at Archawn's organization ideas, I'm curious how other people plan to communicate/collaborate with their teams...

I'm going to push for my team to use Google Plus this time as I've grown to like it a lot.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:28 PM

At 6/27/12 02:10 PM, AustinBreed wrote: I'm going to push for my team to use Google Plus this time as I've grown to like it a lot.

Something you could try is setup a Google Doc with view only priveledges and have a spreadsheet of everyone with tabs on their role of programmer / artist / wildcard and then as people fall into teams then just move around the cells and maybe color code em or what not so you can quickly see which people are taken and where they were adopted into. Google Doc lets you view edits live so itd be kind of neat i think instead of having to wait for a new page for an update.

None

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:28 PM

At 6/27/12 02:10 PM, AustinBreed wrote: + There will be a thread (NG BBS) posted at midnight tonight, East Coast Time. (11:00pm Central.) (I'll post a link in this

So just to double super check, this means that when this clock reaches 12 AM right?

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/eastern-time/

AustinBreed
AustinBreed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:33 PM

At 6/27/12 02:28 PM, Luis wrote: Something you could try is setup a Google Doc with view only priveledges...

Sounds neat! It think the docs can also work through the hangout thing. I like to talk one-on-one with my teammates while I work.

At 6/27/12 02:28 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: So just to double super check, this means that when this clock reaches 12 AM right?
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/usa/eastern-time/

Yeah!

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:46 PM

At 6/27/12 02:33 PM, AustinBreed wrote:
At 6/27/12 02:28 PM, Luis wrote: Something you could try is setup a Google Doc with view only priveledges...
I like to talk one-on-one with my teammates while I work.

Yeah thats neat. im gonna try that this time. I hadnt thought of it.

None

Buzzwerd
Buzzwerd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 02:48 PM

At 6/27/12 02:10 PM, AustinBreed wrote:
+ After each programmer has made their first picks, we will have another round of picking. We'll keep doing rounds of picking until every person who signed up has a team.

Does that mean there'll be teams of 7?

BBS Signature
idiot-monarch
idiot-monarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 04:03 PM

So nothing is required of artists in the team creation process? Cause I won't be here tomorrow, but will be here for the Space Jam itself. Don't wanna be left out because I was a no-show when asked to verify something or whatever.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature
NoLanLabs
NoLanLabs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 04:46 PM

At 6/27/12 02:48 PM, Buzzwerd wrote:
At 6/27/12 02:10 PM, AustinBreed wrote:
Does that mean there'll be teams of 7?

I was wondering the same thing, seems pretty big for a jam

Happy Robot Day 2014! Play our latest GAME! It's in 3-D!

PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 27th, 2012 @ 06:18 PM

Sounds good Austin. Thanks for clarifying!

BBS Signature