• 103 Replies
Glaiel-Gamer
Glaiel-Gamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 02:34 PM

At 6/13/12 11:47 AM, Grent wrote: In a bad partnership it's always exciting to see if, say, your partner is going to show up today.

what no thats not exciting that's a waste of time

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 02:45 PM

Random Teams, announce teams 2 days before <<< Do it up.

Spudzy
Spudzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 04:32 PM

Aww yeah! Gotta get the energy drinks ready!

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 14th, 2012 @ 02:26 AM

At 6/13/12 02:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 6/13/12 11:47 AM, Grent wrote: In a bad partnership it's always exciting to see if, say, your partner is going to show up today.
what no thats not exciting that's a waste of time

Of course having your partner not show up is always bad no matter how you look at it, but I think what Grent was trying to say is that, not having the ideal team could sometimes be an advantage rather than a hindrance.

Heck, the first time I ever won a game jam was when I was put in with 3 other teammates who had no experience working on games whatsoever, and the 2 artists had no submissions. And yet, this caused us to evaluate what could be done within these tight limitations and we ended up with something we were all proud of. Not only that, but that young artist with no submissions was inspired by this event and started making more games and collaborating with people.

At 6/13/12 11:47 AM, Grent wrote: Creativity does matter a lot in that it helps get your game noticed, but I'd rather have a game that's where I want it to be than a great idea with mediocre execution.

But that's the thing! The game jams are the *only* chance you'll get to try out an idea that you're not sure how to execute. The fact that you learned why your Super Morse Code failed means you'll be able to make much better games in the future.

I think it's much more fulfilling to end up having attempted something new. But then, people want to win as well. Which is why I think the judging should be done by a panel of experts, so that these two incentives of innovating and winning can overlap.

At 6/13/12 02:45 PM, PSvils wrote: Random Teams, announce teams 2 days before <<< Do it up.

So far this seems to be the dominant opinion!

Noodle
Noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 14th, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

I think judging should emulate what their using in Nata right now.
Community voting leaves too much open to people voting for themselves, and calling in friends to vote to. I think there is just to much opportunity for people to not treat it fairly.

There should be like 4-5 judges, who judge things like
Fun /5
Creativity /5
Sticks to theme /5
etc

Then they add up all the judges total scores.

GAH!

BBS Signature
Noodle
Noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 14th, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Oh, and sorry for not saying this in the last post.
But right now I like the idea of the kickball teams. It sounds like a fun idea, but it also leaves a large opportunity for programmers to pick up their buddies and work with people they know.

I've done game jams with random and picked teams, and both had their advantages and disadvantages. But I've never tried something in this format, so for that reason alone I'd like to try it and see how it works out.

GAH!

BBS Signature
PrettyMuchBryce
PrettyMuchBryce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 14th, 2012 @ 03:28 PM

Lets at least try the kickball thing. Its only 3 days, so if it's totally lame then we just never do it again?

BBS Signature
Venks
Venks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 06:43 PM

I'm more partial to random teams because I think it will be fun to be partnered with a random person.

BBS Signature
Wallross
Wallross
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 07:58 PM

I think we should discuss choice of theme as well. For me, the theme should be able to do two things:

1) Cause people out of the loop to see the trend with all the games
2) But still not so unifying that all the games become remarkably similar

For me the jam with the best them was number 5, Literature. It was very easy to notice a lot of the front-page games had the same underlying theme, but they all looked and played completely different.

AustinBreed
AustinBreed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 09:48 PM

At 6/15/12 07:58 PM, Wallross wrote: For me the jam with the best them was number 5, Literature. It was very easy to notice a lot of the front-page games had the same underlying theme, but they all looked and played completely different.

Literature was my favorite theme too.

BBS Signature
AustinBreed
AustinBreed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 15th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM

At 6/12/12 01:39 AM, Buzzwerd wrote: Could people that end up with a no-show programmer/artist get tacked onto another team maybe? It really sucks to get picked with someone who doesn't make it and then not be able to participate.

A lot of stragglers usually just join other teams anyways. If we do the kickball thing, everyone will eventually get picked by a programmer. The only people who would miss out would be the programmers who forgot to show up.

In the future, it would be really entertaining to make a matchmaker quiz for teams. We could play it up like it's all romantic that four people all like to make space RPG stuff. Valentines Day Jam?

BBS Signature
Grent
Grent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 02:31 AM

At 6/15/12 09:57 PM, AustinBreed wrote: matchmaker quiz for teams

This actually sounds pretty fun. Not a bad screening process either; people who would flake are less likely to take the time to answer all the questions.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 03:27 AM

At 6/14/12 03:28 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: Lets at least try the kickball thing. Its only 3 days, so if it's totally lame then we just never do it again?

Hmm, I actually think it would be a good idea to see how the kickball works out after all, despite a lot of people preferring random teams. Game jams areall about trying new things.

Noodle
Noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 01:33 PM

At 6/15/12 09:57 PM, AustinBreed wrote: In the future, it would be really entertaining to make a matchmaker quiz for teams. We could play it up like it's all romantic that four people all like to make space RPG stuff. Valentines Day Jam?

That's actually a hilarious idea!
It silly, but also quite practical. Then you should be partnered with a team of like-minded people. That could potentially help work towards a some really great work.
Hell, all collaborations should screen through a matchmaker process!

GAH!

BBS Signature
nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 16th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM

At 6/12/12 12:54 AM, AustinBreed wrote: I wanted to try the Kickball System for two reasons: to ensure that the programmers who signed up will actually show up, and to leave the choice of who to invite to a team in the hands of the participants, instead of me. But yeah, if you guys would rather have random teams, just say the word and we'll do random teams.

During the first two jams I had the help of Nathan Milburn and a couple other dudes to help me filter out jokesters and balance out teams. Since then, I'd just stick the names in a random generator and hope it works out! If we decide on switching to random teams, I could use a couple volunteers to help me put teams together.

if you need help again just let me know, I don't mind.

Although the kickball thing sounds fun and it's always nice to try new things. Both have their pros and cons.

Luis
Luis
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 17th, 2012 @ 07:21 AM

At 6/16/12 07:24 PM, nathanielmilburn wrote: Although the kickball thing sounds fun and it's always nice to try new things. Both have their pros and cons.

Yeah i was gonna not be part of the Jam, but im intruiged by the kickball thing. So ill just clear my schedule to give it a shot.

Even if it sucks, its good to try something new. I think its important to try it, one of the biggest challenges of the jams is in the team generating phase anyway, so its good to try new things.

None

molkman
molkman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 18th, 2012 @ 01:13 PM

Don't change the way of team-choosing now for this jam though, it'd only cause trouble.

XO

Aigis
Aigis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM

At 6/14/12 12:28 PM, Goat-Man wrote: There should be like 4-5 judges, who judge things like
Fun /5
Creativity /5
Sticks to theme /5
etc

I think the idea of ranking games on their cumulative scores over a number of different categories is a bad idea, because a game is more than the sum of its parts.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature
ymcmbgaming
ymcmbgaming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 19th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

cool

ymcmb gaming

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 03:44 PM

At 6/19/12 09:39 PM, Aigis wrote:
At 6/14/12 12:28 PM, Goat-Man wrote: There should be like 4-5 judges, who judge things like
Fun /5
Creativity /5
Sticks to theme /5
etc
I think the idea of ranking games on their cumulative scores over a number of different categories is a bad idea, because a game is more than the sum of its parts.

How about this instead. Instead of having just one overall winner and runner ups, how about we have a winner for every category?

Because you can't really "win" a game jam. A game that tried something completely innovative but failed should be rewarded in its own merit. So if we have 5 categories, and we list the top 5 for each category, and get less than 25 games then everyone has won something. And I think that creates a much better feeling of community and progress, and reinforce that this is not a contest about making the mot popular game.

Grent
Grent
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 20th, 2012 @ 07:02 PM

At 6/20/12 03:44 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Because you can't really "win" a game jam.

If you can't "win," why should we have judging at all? I mean personally I love winning, but if it's not gonna be about winning, I say don't give rankings or categorical victories or anything. Just put them all in a collection and maybe have some non-participants write a collection of reviews.

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 02:34 AM

At 6/20/12 07:02 PM, Grent wrote:
At 6/20/12 03:44 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Because you can't really "win" a game jam.
If you can't "win," why should we have judging at all? I mean personally I love winning, but if it's not gonna be about winning, I say don't give rankings or categorical victories or anything. Just put them all in a collection and maybe have some non-participants write a collection of reviews.

While game jams started as a means to just prototype stuff with friends (in fact, Johnathon Blow, creator of Braid, just had a game jam with some other devs to experiment with something), having some competition and rankings encourages a lot more people to enter and entices everyone to try and make something awesome.

The prizes are really arbitrary anyway. Ludum Dare has no prize beyond giving you your rank in each category, and our prize of $300 store credit split with four members is more sentimental than anything. (For example I still carry the keychain I bought from the NG store with the first store credit I won as an inspiration)

So instead of just having one winner and others feeling left out, (for example as I said, if one game excelled in one direction but failed in others it should at least be noted).

So that only the overall winner gets a monetary prize but the rest of us can at least see how well we fared with the judges.

nathanielmilburn
nathanielmilburn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 21st, 2012 @ 09:01 AM

I wouldn't really worry about trying to not hurt everyone's feelings. If someone can't handle losing then they shouldn't enter into a competition.

If we do multiple winners then I don't think it should be more then a few, 5 seems like a lot. Maybe just Most Creative, Most Polished and Best Game Play or something like that.

blaker2000
blaker2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:19 PM

the kickball system will only bring disaster to the game jam as people can easily team up before the jam resulting in really strong teams and really weak teams thus destroying the balance between teams

4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:28 PM

At 6/22/12 07:19 PM, blaker2000 wrote: the kickball system will only bring disaster to the game jam as people can easily team up before the jam resulting in really strong teams and really weak teams thus destroying the balance between teams

There's nothing stopping an inexperienced programmer from picking an amazing artist. I don't think balancing would be too big of an issue.

At 6/21/12 09:01 AM, nathanielmilburn wrote: I wouldn't really worry about trying to not hurt everyone's feelings. If someone can't handle losing then they shouldn't enter into a competition.

If we do multiple winners then I don't think it should be more then a few, 5 seems like a lot. Maybe just Most Creative, Most Polished and Best Game Play or something like that.

I'd be okay with those categories. It's really less about hurting people's feelings and more about defining what a game jam is. I mean, how do you deem a winner of a game jam? Is it the game with the best idea? Best execution? Most innovation?
I think the event should stay true to its roots of encouraging collaboration, experimentation as well as celebrating games that are executed well.

blaker2000
blaker2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 22nd, 2012 @ 07:29 PM

can we have a count down timer? since there always seems to be some confusion to when the game jam exactly starts.

Venks
Venks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:18 PM

At 6/22/12 07:29 PM, blaker2000 wrote: can we have a count down timer? since there always seems to be some confusion to when the game jam exactly starts.

When ever the theme is released right?

BBS Signature
Archawn
Archawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I spent a bit of time today preparing for the Game Jam. I set up a GoogleDoc form that allows project members to add tasks to a public to-do list, from which they can mark off tasks as they work. I have a feeling it's going to help with communication on my team. We'll see how it goes!

Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

At 6/23/12 10:04 PM, Archawn wrote: I spent a bit of time today preparing for the Game Jam. I set up a GoogleDoc form

Looks good!

How about using Pipeline, though, like last game jam? (pipeline.gatech.cc.edu)

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Wallross
Wallross
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Programmer
Response to Pre-Game Jam 7 .:Discussion:. Jun. 24th, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

At 6/23/12 10:04 PM, Archawn wrote: I spent a bit of time today preparing for the Game Jam. I set up a GoogleDoc form

Seems a little bit clinical but I like it.