Be a Supporter!
Blazirc
Blazirc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Lmms Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 11:36 PM Reply

Does anyone else use it? Maybe we can share tips and stuff or just talk about it.

One good thing about music, is that when it hits you, you feel no pain.

-Bob Marley

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Lmms Jun. 8th, 2012 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 6/8/12 11:36 PM, Blazirc wrote: Does anyone else use it? Maybe we can share tips and stuff or just talk about it.

I just looked it up... it looks alright. I don't think I'd get it though.

TheZaaL
TheZaaL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to Lmms Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 12:15 AM Reply

Quite frankly, I stopped when I dragged one of the windows all the way up under the upper pannel, and a couldn't redrag it.
Mabe Linux-exclusive.

Gotta admit, though, it was good start

Lmms

Computer has no brain. DEAL WITH IT!
Stupidity is a dangerous and contagious disease. It can happen to you. It can happen to me

Blazirc
Blazirc
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Lmms Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 12:31 AM Reply

Unfortunately it's kinda hard to work with and it's confusing and doesn't have a lot of instruments and sounds, but I can't afford FruityLoops so :L

One good thing about music, is that when it hits you, you feel no pain.

-Bob Marley

Jernemies
Jernemies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Lmms Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 11:41 AM Reply

I feel I should be elsewhere saying this, but meh.

At 6/9/12 12:31 AM, Blazirc wrote: I can't afford FruityLoops so :L

I began with LMMS because of that reason. Now I wouldn't buy FL if I'd be given a copy for free. If you want to hear what can be done with LMMS, click the second sheet on the left bar, and look at the folders.

At 6/9/12 12:31 AM, Blazirc wrote: Unfortunately it's kinda hard to work with and it's confusing and doesn't have a lot of instruments and sounds

LMMS has it's VERY weak points (Automation with ZynAddSubFX, some crashes, some bugs, and lack of some BASIC features, such as undo), but confusing? I assume you have never touched any other DAW, because that was my first thought when I made my first track. It gets easier when you learn more.
It doesn't have many samples, but it does have a lot of sounds. You see white sheet with a star on the left side? There's the (synthetized) sounds.

Also, http://freepats.zenvoid.org/freepats/ has "good enough" sounds to use. You may have to learn Patman's simple interface though, but it's a one-minute job.

AnimatixReels
AnimatixReels
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Lmms Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 05:45 PM Reply

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seems cool to have a little group for LMMS (cant afford FL Studio either; at least not yet ) .

"There never was a master that wasn't a student...

dre416
dre416
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Lmms Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM Reply

I use it difficult at first, some problem with vst, it crash somtimes but if you find a way to work arounds the problems it much easier than fl studio.

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Lmms Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

Back in the day, I did everything in a demo of FL Studio. Since I couldn't save projects, I'd do them in single marathon sittings. Alternatively, I'd compose with MIDI, export the file, and then import it again later to work on. When the composition was done, I'd assign soundfonts to each channel, mix the whole thing, and export it as an mp3. That seems like a lifetime ago!

That said, I don't know anything about LMMS. Can it use soundfonts/VSTs and does it have a piano roll?

dre416
dre416
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Lmms Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 06:20 PM Reply

At 8/11/12 06:16 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: That said, I don't know anything about LMMS. Can it use soundfonts/VSTs and does it have a piano roll?

Yes it does have all of that but vst are tricky with lmms, sometime it work sometime it doesn't

Wurfel-Waffles
Wurfel-Waffles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Programmer
Response to Lmms Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 06:27 PM Reply

LINUX POWAR!

MWHAHA!!! VODKA!
NAC Hall of Fame

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Lmms Aug. 11th, 2012 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 6/9/12 12:15 AM, TheZaaL wrote: Quite frankly, I stopped when I dragged one of the windows all the way up under the upper pannel, and a couldn't redrag it.
Mabe Linux-exclusive.

Not really, try to stay update. Once I got my mixer knobs disappeared, on Ubuntu.

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Sti2nd
Sti2nd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Lmms Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 6/9/12 12:15 AM, TheZaaL wrote: Quite frankly, I stopped when I dragged one of the windows all the way up under the upper pannel, and a couldn't redrag it.
Mabe Linux-exclusive.

Seriously? And what do you think the scroll bar to the right is? Maybe scrolling up and down... :)
It took me a while too :p

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Lmms Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 04:42 PM Reply

Now that someone bumped this up, I like to add some tips too. Don't let the master volume spectrum fools you! Always let your volume stays lower that the limit. And to theZaal, that also happens in Linux, although later version fixed it.

The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

TheZaaL
TheZaaL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to Lmms Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 2/15/13 04:02 PM, Sti2nd wrote:
Seriously? And what do you think the scroll bar to the right is? Maybe scrolling up and down... :)
It took me a while too :p

Hmmmm... Indeed. I will now proceed to kill myself.

Computer has no brain. DEAL WITH IT!
Stupidity is a dangerous and contagious disease. It can happen to you. It can happen to me