00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ways to improve the Audio Portal?

108,824 Views | 625 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-19 17:37:34

At 6/17/12 10:46 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 6/16/12 01:54 AM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: I have a feeling this isn't the first thread about this system changing stuff. Well I'm new here. Let's see how this goes.
Don't act so tough new guy. You're up against mods here.

Quotes like this is why mods shouldn't be given any more power in the audio forum than they already have. Norske didn't say anything out of line. Lucky for this site the staff and Tom Fulp especially keep a pretty watchful eye over the entire thing. Which is why I donated to their last Kickstarter, by the way. You should too if the deadline hasn't passed.

Another change besides the ones I've already recommended (review-bot) is maybe giving good, consistent voters the blam/save extra points on their audio voting records like they have for games and movies. I'm pretty sure you could bring the audio scores/forum back from purgatory if you rewarded good voting in a way like this.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-19 22:12:24

I want the award system I missed out on.

A chart of who's voted O,1,2,3,4,or 5.

Giving the user the ability to make a playlist of songs for him to see only like maybe a playlist of all their favorite grunge songs.

The ability for a user to make an album like Bandcamp but for free.

Finally a whistle system because I've seen stolen songs come through and more.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-21 00:41:34

Kind of along the lines of whats been said, but
-notification when someone has used your song in their project
-way to reference all said songs

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-21 00:46:27

I would actually like being rewarded for downloads/listens.
Bring back the silver and gold record!

Also I miss A-bot playing music in the main page.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-21 08:11:15

At 6/19/12 10:12 PM, J-Rex wrote: The ability for a user to make an album like Bandcamp but for free.

That would probably be a bad idea, because it would cause a massive amount of shitty albums being made by shitty artists, who then have a 'good' excuse to advertise their songs in a new topic (since advertising albums is allowed).

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-21 14:40:49

At 6/21/12 08:11 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 6/19/12 10:12 PM, J-Rex wrote: The ability for a user to make an album like Bandcamp but for free.
That would probably be a bad idea, because it would cause a massive amount of shitty albums being made by shitty artists, who then have a 'good' excuse to advertise their songs in a new topic (since advertising albums is allowed).

I disagree. This is an open site. Everyone has his/her own rights to submit musical work, good or shitty as long as he/she does not break the rules.

By mean shitty, do you think your music is less shitty than whoever-might-create shitty music?

This shows the amount of immaturity and dictatorial attitudes you can throw out, right now.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-21 16:27:38

At 6/19/12 05:37 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
At 6/17/12 10:46 PM, Sequenced wrote: Don't act so tough new guy. You're up against mods here.
Quotes like this is why mods shouldn't be given any more power in the audio forum than they already have. Norske didn't say anything out of line.

Now I get why you think mods are immature. It's because you don't understand sarcasm.

Anyways, new audio submissions don't have enough traffic to take on the same system as the flash portal. I still think getting rid of self voting would help. I'm not sure why people are so against that (Do you really need to 5 yourself so badly? It's kind of sad)

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-21 17:03:50

At 6/19/12 10:12 PM, J-Rex wrote: I want the award system I missed out on.

Yes.

Giving the user the ability to make a playlist of songs for him to see only like maybe a playlist of all their favorite grunge songs.

THIS! I would like to have playlists so I can jam!

Finally a whistle system because I've seen stolen songs come through and more.

This can be said for the portal as well.

Also I want loop to be set to "on" instead of "off" every time. And it resets! Unless in playlist mode (if you do it)

-A "radio" which is pretty much just a fancy random button. You can select the radio by genre or artist, and whatever other settings radio's tend to have.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-21 22:06:55

Some good ideas in here, so far. A couple more that haven't been mentioned yet (or simply need to be emphasized, imho):

1. Delete buttons on one's own music is a good thing. Even if it's back to the old system where one cannot delete music that has been hosted on a movie or has over a certain amount of views, it would still be a move in the right direction.

2. Be able to see who has voted you with a "0" or "1", within the past week, at least. Remove anonymity from the function and people will think twice about employing it.

3. Only give people the ability to vote on a single track of music once. That limits the power that self-voting has, and also will limit the rouge zero-bomber that might have a vendetta against your music (though if a group of trolls are attacking then you're still SOL).

4. For the love of God, please give experience to Audio reviewers/voters. More people will vote on music if they could get experience from it. I know this is a flash site community, but I think the Audio portal is large enough where people who only want to focus their time voting on that material instead should have their votes given more weight over time - it just doesn't make any sense for the experience and level that's achieved from flash voting to affect audio votes, while audio voting has no affect on future audio votes. It has stopped me (and others, I'm sure) entirely from voting, as it feels fruitless and futile.

5. If there was an alert that would ping for the Audio mods if someone votes a string of "0"s or "5"s in a short period of time (say, 30 of either in a week), that might help bring attention to users that could be causing trouble. Then again, it'll likely also increase the workload of the Audio mods, too, which would be a pain. Still, both people that vote pure "0"s and pure "5"s deflate and inflate the system - it would be best for the community if their influence was monitored and, if troublesome, cut entirely.

6. An easy way to see which songs have new reviews, and a convenient page where you can not only see your score, view count and downloads, but also the change in these things since your last visit. It's nice to be able to see not only how much traffic and attention your track has gotten overall, but also how much it has gotten since you've last checked.

Those are my thoughts - I hope that some consideration for them will be taken, as I'd like to see this portal thrive once again.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-26 13:51:47

1: i cant change the title of uploaded tracks, it happens that i make a small typo somewhere and i cant change it.

2: there is (still) no way to see if anyone reviewed my music without having to dig through 400+ seperate tracks to see if someone did.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-26 20:16:46

At 6/21/12 04:27 PM, Breed wrote: Now I get why you think mods are immature. It's because you don't understand sarcasm.

It's pretty well known that sarcasm translates badly to webchat. Hence smileys, smart guy?
Don't worry; it'll all make sense once you graduate.

Self voting vs 0 bombing is incredibly important, despite what you may think, because of the lists. When gamemakers and animators are searching for songs, the tard who spends every day 0 bombing everyone else comes up first no matter how fair you think it is. He therefore has a better chance of getting chosen.

And like I said before (and is quite apparent) one self vote can't counteract a ton of 0s. You can't get rid of self voting unless you get rid of that entire "face" system and stick to just reviews, which must be monitored by a bot like M-bot.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-28 18:25:55

At 6/19/12 05:37 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote:
At 6/17/12 10:46 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 6/16/12 01:54 AM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: I have a feeling this isn't the first thread about this system changing stuff. Well I'm new here. Let's see how this goes.
Don't act so tough new guy. You're up against mods here.
Quotes like this is why mods shouldn't be given any more power in the audio forum than they already have. Norske didn't say anything out of line. Lucky for this site the staff and Tom Fulp especially keep a pretty watchful eye over the entire thing. Which is why I donated to their last Kickstarter, by the way. You should too if the deadline hasn't passed.

Qoutes like this is why new users shouldn't act like "the shit" around here. FYI, I'm already acquainted with Tom and mods won't do anything because they know I am being sarcastic but also truthful.

Norske: I'm not what you call "new".

and to Gario: the admins will never allow users to see who has voted on their tracks. At one point, some angry audiokid asked for it in his own thread - and I believe wade showed all of us how he himself voted 0 on plenty of other tracks. That whole idea would never work.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-28 18:41:44

At 6/28/12 06:25 PM, Sequenced wrote: and to Gario: the admins will never allow users to see who has voted on their tracks. At one point, some angry audiokid asked for it in his own thread - and I believe wade showed all of us how he himself voted 0 on plenty of other tracks. That whole idea would never work.

Hahaha I think you mean chronamut ;) But really the guys do have a point that having the moderator icon comes with a responsibility to act somewhat mature around here.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-28 19:46:59

At 6/28/12 06:41 PM, SineRider wrote:

Hahaha I think you mean chronamut ;) But really the guys do have a point that having the moderator icon comes with a responsibility to act somewhat mature around here.

"somewhat"

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-06-28 23:33:46

At 6/28/12 06:25 PM, Sequenced wrote: and to Gario: the admins will never allow users to see who has voted on their tracks. At one point, some angry audiokid asked for it in his own thread - and I believe wade showed all of us how he himself voted 0 on plenty of other tracks. That whole idea would never work.

That's fine - I wasn't privy to that discussion, so I didn't know it was already decided. I vote a good healthy '0', too, from time to time, if a song is really poor, or I know for a fact that it's stolen (generally when the artist him/herself states that the music is stolen).

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-01 11:51:29

At 6/26/12 01:51 PM, Calamaistr wrote: 1: i cant change the title of uploaded tracks, it happens that i make a small typo somewhere and i cant change it.

2: there is (still) no way to see if anyone reviewed my music without having to dig through 400+ seperate tracks to see if someone did.

Simple things that i don't know why they haven't been implemented yet.

Better yet, have a switch on your profile, to turn on and off notifications about people reviewing your tracks!

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-02 23:44:26

I gave Tom a heads up for this thread again.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-05 14:47:14

Before you can rate audio , you must play through the whole song. The other day, I submitted a song. And 20 seconds later someone brings it down to a two.

One good thing about music, is that when it hits you, you feel no pain.

-Bob Marley

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-05 16:24:40

At 7/5/12 02:47 PM, Blazirc wrote: Before you can rate audio , you must play through the whole song. The other day, I submitted a song. And 20 seconds later someone brings it down to a two.

This may work fine.

All I wish to see right now, is just a delete function...

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-05 23:19:47

At 6/6/12 07:45 PM, RampantMusik wrote: It's a ridiculous request, but it would be wicked awesome for NewGrounds to implement a digital download store.

I've actually emailed tom about this exact idea, this is great; please implement!

SKILLZmakeKILLZ

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-05 23:22:25

At 7/5/12 11:19 PM, SKILLZmakeKILLZ wrote:
At 6/6/12 07:45 PM, RampantMusik wrote: It's a ridiculous request, but it would be wicked awesome for NewGrounds to implement a digital download store.
I've actually emailed tom about this exact idea, this is great; please implement!

Also an awarding system of sorts would do wonders for the motivation and competition of the audio portal.
Competition = better quality ; haven't you taken an economic class before? ;)

SKILLZmakeKILLZ

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-06 01:01:27

At 7/5/12 11:22 PM, SKILLZmakeKILLZ wrote: Also an awarding system of sorts would do wonders for the motivation and competition of the audio portal.
Competition = better quality ; haven't you taken an economic class before? ;)

At first we would need a stable system that stops people from cheating the votes, let alone with the awards. There is enough of 'competitions' of all kinds behind the scene already.

However I like this fancy idea to go with the idea of getting experienced points for saving/blaming audio works. Just like the Flash portal.

We audio folks are quite egotistic. I never see the Art folks whine about this even though they have the exactly same ranking system as our.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-06 07:01:56

At 7/6/12 01:01 AM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: We audio folks are quite egotistic. I never see the Art folks whine about this even though they have the exactly same ranking system as our.

They've got awards, a 'More from this artist' section in the submission page, and also a scouting system to filter out the crap whereas our 'scouting' (approval) system just filters out the rule-breaking stuff. I'm not surprised they don't complain about their system.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-06 07:34:16

Alright, this took me quite some time to work out, so please bear with me.

Submitting and editing:
NEW audio management page:
Straightforward overview of songs, similar to the âEUoepre-redesignâEU system: a list of all the submitted songs which provides general information to the submitter. It contains the following items: âEUoeedit buttonâEU*; âEUoeremove buttonâEU, number of reviews in total, number of new reviews since last visit, number of views, score, number of downloadsand number of added to favourites. This will replacethe current âEUoeproject management systemâEU.

*= Clicking on the âEUoeedit buttonâEU will bring the submitter to the âEUoeNEW audio submission / editâEU page.

NEW audio submission / edit page:
This page will also replacethe current âEUoeproject management systemâEU. Its lay-out is similar to the current âEUoeaudio submissionâEU page, and is accessible when one wants to submit a new song, or change an existing song. We shouldnâEUTMt need multiple pages to edit just one song. This will put all that stuff in one singlepage. It contains the following items:
- Title
- Audio file [option: allow change log** yes/no]
- Icon
- Short description
- Full description
- Format
- Genre
- Tags
- Collaborators
- Credits [option: additional license settings***].
- Revenue sharing
- Additional audio player settings**** (background colour, visual effects etc.)

** = Give the submitter the option to show a âEUoechange logâEU of the song. Listeners will then know when a song has been âEUoeupdatedâEU or âEUoechangedâEU since a given date.
*** = The ability to choose under which name people must give credit for the song (due to the Creative Commons license).
**** = Option to âEU~customizeâEUTM the audio player (using preset options e.g. background colour).

Submission / management in general:
- Allow songs from different users to have the exact same name. People can still see the difference by looking at the authorâEUTMs name and the songs are saved by ID tag.
- Multiple file types, bit rates etc.
- Increase max. song name length.
- Ability to rename music at all times.
- Ability to delete music at all times.

How the new systems work:
Say you want to submit your latest piece of art. YouâEUTMd then click the âEU~Submit Yours!âEUTM button and be taken to the âEU~NEW audio submission / edit pageâEUTM. Next youâEUTMd fill in the blanks and click âEU~submitâEUTM. Easy, huh?

But what if you were to change your mind? YouâEUTMd simply go to the âEU~NEW audio management pageâEUTM, which will give you a great overview of all your previously submitted works. All you have to do is find the audio piece you want to edit, click on the âEU~edit buttonâEUTM et voila, youâEUTMll instantly access the same âEU~NEW audio submission / edit pageâEUTM you used to submit the song in the first place, which is a lot more straightforward than the current âEUoeproject management systemâEU!

Listening to the actual submission:
Credits and info:
- Author: includes first name (optional), last name (optional), and nickname
- Genre
- Tags
- Date: includes the optional change log (last changed: date).
- Score (votes)
- Distribution of votes: x people voted 0, y people voted 1, z people voted 2 etc.
- Number of views
- Number of downloads
- File info: includes file type and bit depth.
- Awards

I'm not saying they should implement all this, it's just what I think would greatly enhance the way the current Audio Portal works.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-06 07:36:57

Also, please give us the option to use double quotation marks on the forums, so that it doesn't mess up our posts. Thanks :D

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-06 10:56:52

I've brought this up once before somewhere else, and I didn't get much of a response. This is the perfect place to mention it, though.

I think it would be GREAT if the audio artist was notified (via PM) when a flash is uploaded that uses his/her music in it. For artists with bunches of submissions, finding a movie or game that features their tunes is a long, dark road through narcissistic bliss. It would also be nice to have a section that contains all of the flash submissions that contain an artist's audio. For me, that's my favorites section.

From a programming standpoint, going forward shouldn't be too hard. Just send a message to the user once the link to the flash submission is placed on a song's page. Creating the "used in" page (or whatever) would be the tricky part.

It's one of those features that would be very rewarding to artists, without actually having to give them any awards...

Thoughts?

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-25 10:46:03

Tom may have already checked this, but something else I would like to see return is the little drop-down box on song pages that allows you to jump to all the other songs by that artist.

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-30 02:40:13

I finally realized what I really really want on here!
1. License choice
- I'm not very fond of releasing music under a CC license, I'd prefer having All Rights Reserved
2. Toggle able download button (that kinda would go with the license thing)
3. More genres choices
- like wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaayyy more
4. The old AP awards
- gold & platinum records or whatever
5. *cough* *cough* delete button

I realize some of these are very soundcloudy things, but I think it could really make more draw to use the AP.
For example, I'm working on several songs right now but to be honest I'm thinking of releasing the majority of them on soundcloud. Though I can never leave NG because of the community & forums, all the other fun stuff to do on this site, and soundcloud doesn't have nothing on the sweet visualizers the AP has! Oh ya and soundcloud doesn't have the seniority that NG has :]

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-30 03:22:20

At 7/30/12 02:40 AM, Trampzy wrote:
4. The old AP awards
- gold & platinum records or whatever
5. *cough* *cough* delete button

These 2 stuck out most for me. There was a cool feeling having a diamond track. As far as why there isn't a delete button? I don't see why they took it away. It's really annoying if you accidentally submit the wrong project or something considering I export multiple versions of the same song throughout production.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? 2012-07-30 06:43:03

I think our patience will be well worth it.