New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Wade gave me permission to make a new suggestion thread for the Audio Portal. Once we gather up some valuable ideas, he will forward the thread to Tom.

A couple things to mention:

The magic of the NGAP has recently been falling apart after the 2012 redesign. We all have to accept that. Whether it is because we're getting older or that there are too many new composers that are signing up, I do not know.
However, I think that if we implement a few features from the past designs of ol' Newgrounds, it will help motivate old (and new) musicians to make and upload better and/or more songs.

-----

Does anybody remember back in the '06 era where we had those diamond and silver records for rewarding us for the most downloads? I think that we should reward musicians with something similar to the records.
For example, say a song has a certain amount of x reviews, it will recieve some type of medal. The same can go for votes. OR it can be the other way around. Thoughts?

lel

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

i just want those award icons i was promised.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 05:44 PM Reply

There should be no harassment towards other people in this thread. Keep that for private messaging only.

lel

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 05:45 PM Reply

what happened?

ChickNug95
ChickNug95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 06:10 PM Reply

I would REALLY REALLY REALLY want the main audio portal page to have some type of auto play of the weeks best.
With an animation of some character getting down to it or something like before.
Also, do that thumbnail click thing they were taklin about.
PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEAAAASE WITH EXTRA CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESS!

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 06:12 PM Reply

1) Ability to delete a song regardless of views or links from flash videos. At the moment you cant delete it at all.
2) Banned audio should not be showing but it is.
3) People should not be able to vote on their own material
4) The old medals worked fine and I like the idea of having them
5) Ability to preview a song without opening the page for it (also like it used to be)
6) Music Playlists that automatically play through not just a favorite list like we already have
7) Timeline tags (like youtube you can put a clickable link that will jump to a certain time in the song) for reviewing purposes as well as author comments
8) Catagory re-arrangement (A lot needs doing there, not gonna type out my thoughts unless asked)
9) Author control of reviews (author can remove reviews)
10) Ability to reply indefinitely in reviews and automatically have all replies condensed.
11) Allow authors to set songs to auto-play or not when they are opened (at the moment they always auto-play)
12) Add WIP/Preview option in addition to the current song or loop option
13) Add individual Featured Audio section as an option to user profiles so that the author can pick 4 songs they want people to see rather then just the most recent 4 or the top of the year stuff which is just based on downloads
14) A few extra tags would be nice
15) Give audio mods MOAR POWAHHH (ok maybe but maybe not)

Obviously I've had a lot of time to think about this haha

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 06:26 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 06:12 PM, Breed wrote:

I think this will less motivate reviewers... because what's the point if the author can just delete them?

lel

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 06:50 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 06:26 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 6/6/12 06:12 PM, Breed wrote:

LOL no way. People will just remove unfavorable reviews.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 06:55 PM Reply

1)Put the number of votes back. Lets people realize what percentage of voters zero bombed, so they dont give up on the WHOLE website and just get mad at a couple people.

2)Easier genre browsing, I have to load three pages to get to the DnB page

audio>electronic>dnb

Believe it or not its a pretty big hassle, it would be cool to have not load the page when I click a tab but have a smooth drop animation (i dont know anything about coding)

3) deleting songs. Because it would be nice to let me delete my own property..............

i dont remember exactly how CC works though.

On a much more general note, my last two songs sit at a good 1.5/5.
I could of signed to excellent labels but chose to share here instead.
I havent had scores this low since well............. ever?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 06:26 PM, Sequenced wrote: I think this will less motivate reviewers... because what's the point if the author can just delete them?

Why would anyone assume that a review would get deleted unless they are just writing troll reviews?

At 6/6/12 06:50 PM, SineRider wrote: LOL no way. People will just remove unfavorable reviews.

And why is that a problem? Reviews don't calculate scores. Most media content websites allow control of reviews in this way. Which reminds me:

16) Get rid of review score. it doesnt make much sense to have two ways of giving a score, especially if one doesnt do anything.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 07:19 PM Reply

How about audio authors can group particular tracks of their own into an "album" group, instead of the songs only being grouped into years?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 07:24 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 07:19 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: How about audio authors can group particular tracks of their own into an "album" group, instead of the songs only being grouped into years?

I thought about this, but I'm not sure theres that many NG artists who write whole albums. Most of them seem to be song by song type people. So I kinda made the smaller idea of featured audio.

But to expand on this, perhaps a Collections tab aside from audio, art, news, etc...that could contain anytype of collection be it an animation series, game series, art series, or music album.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 07:19 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: How about audio authors can group particular tracks of their own into an "album" group, instead of the songs only being grouped into years?

I like this. Good idea.

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 07:24 PM, Breed wrote:
I thought about this, but I'm not sure theres that many NG artists who write whole albums. Most of them seem to be song by song type people. So I kinda made the smaller idea of featured audio.

But to expand on this, perhaps a Collections tab aside from audio, art, news, etc...that could contain any type of collection be it an animation series, game series, art series, or music album.

Good point that. A "group by" selection/tab might be a good mesh of these two ideas.

Such as "group by author's:"
-Album
-Year of submission
-Collab partner(s) perhaps the author has a frequent collab partner?
-Related flash series

etc.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 07:45 PM Reply

It's a ridiculous request, but it would be wicked awesome for NewGrounds to implement a digital download store.

1) It would be regulated in the same way as physical discs on the NewGrounds store (i.e. you have to get permission from Tom)
2) In return they take a 7-10% commission, which makes it comparable to or better than iTunes
3) It doesn't cost NewGrounds anything aside from some server space
4) It would be a cool addition for those of us who have scores or CDs to sell, and offers the following benefits, too:
---- Offer music for sale without directing users to another site
---- Can be bought with NewGrounds' credits (won from competitions, etc.)
---- Some of the proceeds go to NewGrounds
---- No cost to print and ship physical discs to Tom or the purchaser

Then, this (and physical discs) could be tied into your NewGrounds user page via a "Store" section. Additionally, you could link to CD's on your BandCamp, ReverbNation, or iTunes/AmazonMP3, and NewGrounds would cleverly grab the album art (and resize it to 200x200, or whatever is appropriate). BAM! You can now sell things (almost) directly from your userpage!

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 6th, 2012 @ 08:19 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 07:45 PM, RampantMusik wrote: It's a ridiculous request, but it would be wicked awesome for NewGrounds to implement a digital download store.

1) It would be regulated in the same way as physical discs on the NewGrounds store (i.e. you have to get permission from Tom)
2) In return they take a 7-10% commission, which makes it comparable to or better than iTunes
3) It doesn't cost NewGrounds anything aside from some server space
4) It would be a cool addition for those of us who have scores or CDs to sell, and offers the following benefits, too:
---- Offer music for sale without directing users to another site
---- Can be bought with NewGrounds' credits (won from competitions, etc.)
---- Some of the proceeds go to NewGrounds
---- No cost to print and ship physical discs to Tom or the purchaser

Then, this (and physical discs) could be tied into your NewGrounds user page via a "Store" section. Additionally, you could link to CD's on your BandCamp, ReverbNation, or iTunes/AmazonMP3, and NewGrounds would cleverly grab the album art (and resize it to 200x200, or whatever is appropriate). BAM! You can now sell things (almost) directly from your userpage!

I do really like the idea of users having their own store fronts on Newgrounds. I would want to be able to sell physical stuff, because selling direct downloads would just be stupid, and possibly make alot of free music on NG not so free anymore.

I would love to see medals again

But what I want more than any of the others is more genres to list your songs. Such as world music or horror music (horror as in movie/game soundtrack) or just some more options.

A delete button. (Not having one is one of the few things that has made me not want to upload stuff for whenever I get around to it)

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 7th, 2012 @ 12:59 AM Reply

How about a notification system for when your pieces get new reviews. It's frustrating having to load 40+ song pages searching for reviews, and some users have over one hundred submissions.

Even under the old system with the "edit audio submissions" page, it would only show reviews that were new within the last two days or so. If I was off of newgrounds for two days due to being out of town, etc, I'd have to check through every song manually. Very annoying.

How about new reviews showing up in the notification system that came with the redesign? Or maybe making it like on youtube where you get an inbox message telling you that someone commented on your submission?

The lack of a convenient place to check for new reviews is honestly the most frustrating part of the system for me.

HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 7th, 2012 @ 04:01 AM Reply

At 6/6/12 06:12 PM, Breed wrote: 1) Ability to delete a song regardless of views or links from flash videos. At the moment you cant delete it at all.
8) Catagory re-arrangement (A lot needs doing there, not gonna type out my thoughts unless asked)
11) Allow authors to set songs to auto-play or not when they are opened (at the moment they always auto-play)
13) Add individual Featured Audio section as an option to user profiles so that the author can pick 4 songs they want people to see rather then just the most recent 4 or the top of the year stuff which is just based on downloads
15) Give audio mods MOAR POWAHHH (ok maybe but maybe not) but maybe...so long as they don't abuse their almighty powers!

I very much like these particular ideas, but have some to request myself:

- Bring back the old page for viewing your own audio (the page with number of favourites and reviews, plus and edit and delete button) or something similar, but with these features.

- Email notifications for activity on one's own tracks. This'll just make it easier to keep track of your audience and reply easier and quicker.

- Blam and protect system perhaps?

- Whistle system (for copyrighted material thingos)

- More genre categories (glitch-hop, drumstep, downtempo, stems of drums and bass ie liquid, neurofunk, jump-up, etc...)

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks OP for the thread, the Audio Portal needs some serious fixing up!

lol fuk u

Linktrx
Linktrx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 11:45 AM Reply

At 6/7/12 12:59 AM, BlazingDragon wrote: How about a notification system for when your pieces get new reviews. It's frustrating having to load 40+ song pages searching for reviews, and some users have over one hundred submissions.

Even under the old system with the "edit audio submissions" page, it would only show reviews that were new within the last two days or so. If I was off of newgrounds for two days due to being out of town, etc, I'd have to check through every song manually. Very annoying.

How about new reviews showing up in the notification system that came with the redesign? Or maybe making it like on youtube where you get an inbox message telling you that someone commented on your submission?

The lack of a convenient place to check for new reviews is honestly the most frustrating part of the system for me.

I agree it becomes very hard to manage how all of your stuff is being received if there isn't any notifications. I had been hoping there would be a revamp including this feature for a long time (since its been brought up so much) sadly it hasn't come ...not even with the redesign *sigh*

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 9th, 2012 @ 03:32 PM Reply

At 6/6/12 06:55 PM, jpbear wrote: 1)Put the number of votes back. Lets people realize what percentage of voters zero bombed, so they dont give up on the WHOLE website and just get mad at a couple people.

This.

AP voting system is a most flaw one I have ever seen. (I feel some people might want to pull the 'it's our traditional BS' at my face.)

I haven't on here for long but I notice many people complain about how they are being targeted DAILY. Also I find out (maybe just coincidences) newcomers tend to get more bombing runs in their first week of their submission(s) on Newgrounds. Not a very nice way to welcome new friends!

How about review before you can vote? Or balance the vote versus review rank scores?

3) deleting songs. Because it would be nice to let me delete my own property..............

I don't believe CC has anything to do with the owner's rights for deletion. However the concept of 'deletion on the net' is shady and fishy, too. Facebook's user information, for example?

On a much more general note, my last two songs sit at a good 1.5/5.
I could of signed to excellent labels but chose to share here instead.
I havent had scores this low since well............. ever?

:-) Time to pull out my magic wand, hmm.

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 12:15 PM Reply

At 6/9/12 03:32 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: I haven't on here for long but I notice many people complain about how they are being targeted DAILY. Also I find out (maybe just coincidences) newcomers tend to get more bombing runs in their first week of their submission(s) on Newgrounds. Not a very nice way to welcome new friends!

Being forced to write a review would make me not vote on anything anymore if they did that, mainly because I hate how reviews show up on your user page, that's why I ditched my last 2 accounts.... It's almost an OCD thing at this point.

I think there should be a tracker, so if you vote 0 on everything and never give out a 4 or a 5 I think your votes should be frozen until you get review by a mod or something allowing you to vote or not, kind of like how you can get a garbage whistle if you flag stuff wrong. But it should be the same if you just give out 5's over and over again especially if it's only on one thing.

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 04:56 PM Reply

At 6/10/12 12:15 PM, Trampzy wrote:
At 6/9/12 03:32 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: I haven't on here for long but I notice many people complain about how they are being targeted DAILY. Also I find out (maybe just coincidences) newcomers tend to get more bombing runs in their first week of their submission(s) on Newgrounds. Not a very nice way to welcome new friends!
Being forced to write a review would make me not vote on anything anymore if they did that, mainly because I hate how reviews show up on your user page, that's why I ditched my last 2 accounts.... It's almost an OCD thing at this point.

I'm forcing nobody here. It's for the good of everybody.

Write review before voting helps to prevent vote spammer and most important of all: helps the artist/composer to improve his/her work too.

I think there should be a tracker, so if you vote 0 on everything and never give out a 4 or a 5 I think your votes should be frozen until you get review by a mod or something allowing you to vote or not, kind of like how you can get a garbage whistle if you flag stuff wrong. But it should be the same if you just give out 5's over and over again especially if it's only on one thing.

Remember we do not want the site admins to change everything/majority because it would hurt than help them to solve the problem. They have pretty small team of programmers that actually do the maintaining and improvement.

Vote counter is nice but just 'nice' on theory because it doesn't change the fact that there is more than one way to skin a cat: to workaround! From using proxies, multiple-accounts to hack the system (well, we tried); vote counter won't help a darn thing.

Talking and bragging about how to change shit is nice but of course none of us can do a shit: because we are not the one is going to improve the system, it's the admins! They are working their arses off, for free!

Shit suggestion is going to hurt more than help. So make up your mind before sugessting and try to fit your big feet into admins' shoes.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 08:29 PM Reply

every time this thread comes up everyone suggests all these wacky complicated things to stop "vote spamming" or "zero bombing", it's funny

honestly, it wouldn't detract from my experience of the AP to have some needlessly complex check & balance behind every single vote, but forcing reviews for votes is just annoying. it's like when you use some website and then they drop a survey in front of you before you can continue and you're just like fuuuuck that!, and it's not conducive to honest and thoughtful criticism either.

p.s. i am gay

Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 10th, 2012 @ 08:34 PM Reply

What I was talking about, was based off of some people saying they keep getting 0's and what not everyday, or spam comments. So basically someone shouldn't be able to repetitively vote on just one submission day after day. I'm honestly not all that concerned about the spam votes what I want is more genres and A GOD DAMN DELETE BUTTON.

Bones341
Bones341
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 11th, 2012 @ 05:16 AM Reply

- More genre categories (glitch-hop, drumstep, downtempo, stems of drums and bass ie liquid, neurofunk, jump-up, etc...)

I like this idea, I sometimes write drumstep tracks but I'm unsure where to put it, so I just it in the dubstep category because it's the closest genre... But it's at similar tempo to dnb??? (you see my problem?)

Another thing, if those immature "zero bombers" are going to do just that, perhaps give a damn good reason for doing so, and get the reason reviewed before the vote is counted to prevent trolling/spam/invalid reasons? It seems this is why people are able to vote on their own submissions...

Also, DELETE BUTTON DELETE BUTTON DELETE BUTTON DELETE BUTTON DELETE BUTTON!!! I have some stuff on here that's kinda crap, I just want rid of it! (seems I'm not the only one)

The store front idea is also good, but if an artist wants to build up a reputation then the best thing for them to do is give away their tracks. So maybe have a choice between giving your stuff away or selling it through NG???

QuadWing
QuadWing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 11th, 2012 @ 09:39 AM Reply

I used to be on NG a few years ago, but I've forgotten my account details, and even worse, my email information for the account, but yeah. I really think the portal needs a fair bit of improvement. I really preferred the 06' look to what it looks like now. It's pretty crappy, and I don't mean to say that offensively, but that's just the reality of it. I really wish some sort of voting/"blamming" system would be applied to the audio portal. Beyond that, I feel that the old "list" look that it used to have would be leaps and bounds better than what's going on now. It's hard to find any interesting music now. The selection is so narrow, and from a user point of view, most people tend to be way too lazy to scroll down and click page 2...

Just my two cents.

I'm a driven person with driven dreams in a driven world... I work counterintuitively to the above.

Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 11th, 2012 @ 10:08 AM Reply

I think re-implementing the delete button should be priority 1 on the list of features needed. I think everyone could agree with that. Also, I somewhat desire longer song titles.

But, as far as new features go, I think that we could borrow a few ideas from a old place where I hang out from time to time.
http://www.traxinspace.com/
User playlists, user playstats, votes you change (not ADD) so your 5 can turn to a 3 but you are not adding a 3 to the average - you are changing your 5 to a 3, a full-featured review and feedback system with reviewer stat tracking, and other stuff.
And, you can share your source files there, too, but we already have a system for that, so yeah.
However, most of the stuff there is only accessible with a user account - including downloads, but I think there are some nice features there.
It's how I wish the audio portal could be, but I don't really know if all that would really work here.

my two cents

----
At the very least, a review reward system would be incredible, like getting a user page stat that shows how many reviews you've made that the author found helpful. A level up system for reviewers, you could call it.

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
Halindir
Halindir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 11th, 2012 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 6/7/12 12:59 AM, BlazingDragon wrote: How about a notification system for when your pieces get new reviews. It's frustrating having to load 40+ song pages searching for reviews, and some users have over one hundred submissions.

This, very much this. I can barely stand checking half of my uploads individually, for kind words or vile curses.
The PM/mail notification would be most preferable, though having new reviews show up in the notification box would still be a huge improvement.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 12th, 2012 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 6/11/12 09:39 AM, QuadWing wrote:

:I really preferred the 06' look to what it looks like now. It's pretty crappy, and I don't mean to say that offensively, but that's just the reality of it.

I agree. the 06 layout was very clean and non-cluttered.

lel

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ways to improve the Audio Portal? Jun. 13th, 2012 @ 07:54 AM Reply

At 6/6/12 06:12 PM, Breed wrote: 1) Ability to delete a song regardless of views or links from flash videos. At the moment you cant delete it at all.
2) Banned audio should not be showing but it is.
4) The old medals worked fine and I like the idea of having them
5) Ability to preview a song without opening the page for it (also like it used to be)
6) Music Playlists that automatically play through not just a favorite list like we already have
7) Timeline tags (like youtube you can put a clickable link that will jump to a certain time in the song) for reviewing purposes as well as author comments
10) Ability to reply indefinitely in reviews and automatically have all replies condensed.
14) A few extra tags would be nice
15) Give audio mods MOAR POWAHHH (ok maybe but maybe not)

Obviously I've had a lot of time to think about this haha

This list is wrong on sooooo many levels...

Audio mods don't need any more power. Mods in general don't need any more power. Many of them are immature.

Also, not letting ppl vote on their own submissions is NOT A GOOD IDEA. There's so much 0 bombing in there you HAVE to do it. Plus, if you get bombed, one vote is not gonna matter.

Allow ppl to delete entries.
Have medals.
Have somebody detail how exactly the top songs of the month get chosen.

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature