New Topic Respond to this Topic
BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Color Blind artists May. 30th, 2012 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Are there other color blind artists on the Art Forum?
What colors can't you see?
How did you over come this disadvantage?

I'm color blind, i get the phenotype from my grandpa.
I cannot see greens, it sucks. The world is mostly green, but I can't enjoy it.
Whenever i draw with greens, i have my brother assist me in picking out the colors. To me greens look brown

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 07:11 AM Reply

At 5/30/12 08:31 PM, BlackMist75 wrote: I cannot see greens

sucks to be you, green is my favorite color

MiddleFingerRings
MiddleFingerRings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 5/30/12 08:31 PM, BlackMist75 wrote: Are there other color blind artists on the Art Forum?
What colors can't you see?
How did you over come this disadvantage?

I'm red-green colour blind, it really isn't so bad. If you are painting traditionally - you can get paints with the names written on them or get help from friends/family. If you work digitally, colours have codes which you can look up easily. It also tends to give your colouring a very unique style.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 01:14 PM Reply

I knew a guy in highschool who couldn't see reds and greens, but he left the path of an artist a long time ago. I don't know how he dealt with it or anything.
Anyway this Color Scheme Designer has a Color Blind Mode that might be handy

Color Blind artists

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 02:34 PM Reply

At 5/31/12 07:11 AM, M-Maher wrote:
At 5/30/12 08:31 PM, BlackMist75 wrote: I cannot see greens
sucks to be you, green is my favorite color

No, not really

BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 5/31/12 01:14 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I knew a guy in highschool who couldn't see reds and greens, but he left the path of an artist a long time ago. I don't know how he dealt with it or anything.
Anyway this Color Scheme Designer has a Color Blind Mode that might be handy

~('O')~

thanks man!

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 05:38 PM Reply

I believe legolass and knocturne are colourblind

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

My grandfather and a close friend of mine are both red-green color blind and excellent traditional photographers.

Plenty of famous artists have suffered eye problems, especially towards the ends of their life. Monet had cataracts and had to rely on tube colors and memorize where paint had been placed on his palette. Degas had a retinal eye disease. Rembrandt may have had stereo-blindness. I'm sure google can find you more.

There's an awesome article here about a completely color blind artist who uses an audio device to let him see color.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Color Blind artists May. 31st, 2012 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 5/31/12 05:56 PM, lovingthedark wrote:
There's an awesome article here about a completely color blind artist who uses an audio device to let him see color.

wow being completely color blind is a slim, slim chance in the human population

CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 09:59 AM Reply

Yeah I always suspected that I was colour blind and recently confirmed it with my optician.
I'm not sure exactly what colour blindness I have but I think it's probably Deuteranomaly, I have problems with greens and reds, I can't see some shades and confuse others.
It's hard to tell since as colour blind people we've never been able to see the colours we can't see in the first place, so it's hard to distinguish what we're missing.
However on the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness
I can't see the test for deuteranopia either, so I'm not sure which type I have..
I don't find it that bad though, I sometimes struggle a lot with picking colours, especially in dim lighting, but as long as I can get a vague idea of the colours i'm looking at it's tolerable. :)
This is a good test to see how affected your vision is:
http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?pageid=77&lang=en
You have to arrange the colours in each row according to the first and last colour. Mine is pretty terrible, I'm way off the chart of low acuity. I got a 115, 0 being perfect colour vision and 99 being the worst on the scale... and i think most of my score was just luck, i found myself judging by brightness, rather than colour, otherwise it all pretty much looked exactly the same to me haha

Color Blind artists

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
Verspar
Verspar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 02:52 PM Reply

You know, I've always wonder what you see with colorblindness. I know you can't see a certain color, but what do you see as a result? Is it a certain shade of grey or do you see the another color? I'd love to know what it looks like. Can you explain it because apparently you see all the other colors. I may not have a color blindness, but I do have Usher's syndrome, which causes my sights and hearings to be decreased (luckily it would be type 2). Problem is, I'm more serious about music (funny, I'm only starting guitar) than art, but I know I am capable of doing art as well. I also have a partial night blindness.

But hey if you don't own your problems, then your problems own you. Like the article lovingthedark put, show someone who can't see any color say "screw that! I'm going to be an artist anyways!" (not a real quote). :)

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 04:08 PM Reply

At 5/31/12 09:02 AM, MiddleFingerRings wrote: I'm red-green colour blind, it really isn't so bad. If you are painting traditionally - you can get paints with the names written on them or get help from friends/family. If you work digitally, colours have codes which you can look up easily. It also tends to give your colouring a very unique style.

I'm not colourblind myself but I find it extremely backwards if a colourblind person would try to find ways around his colourblindness when making art. Why not embrace it and just paint what you see? I'm sure it gives some interesting results, and you're not gonna be able to compensate 100% for it anyway.

At 6/1/12 02:52 PM, Verspar wrote: You know, I've always wonder what you see with colorblindness. I know you can't see a certain color, but what do you see as a result?

It's impossible to get to know that. Usually poeple will be unable to distinguish between red and green; but what colour they do see (red or green or something in between) can't be communicated really.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
Verspar
Verspar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 05:25 PM Reply

At 6/1/12 04:08 PM, J-qb wrote: It's impossible to get to know that. Usually people will be unable to distinguish between red and green; but what colour they do see (red or green or something in between) can't be communicated really.

I understand. I mean it takes someone who've never had a blindness and become blind to tell the story of what's its like to be blind. But when one is already blind from birth they not know what its like to see therefore cannot explain how it is like being blind for blindness is the norm to their senses.

I guess the only reason why I feel that it could be communicated was because understanding of what all the other colors look like and determining what the missing color, now I guess it just blends with its surrounding so it appears to not be there (though if that's the case I still would like to know). another reason I thought ,possibly, it was communicable was because my eyesight deteriorated when I went from child to teen so I can somewhat tell you what its like to see what I see (thought I'm not color blind).

Verspar
Verspar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 6/1/12 05:25 PM, Verspar wrote: (thought I'm not color blind).

*(though I'm not color blind).

fixed

BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

Actually I got checked out at the doctors today ~('O')~
colors picked by my mom

Color Blind artists

Fatelogic
Fatelogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 06:06 PM Reply

Lol. Strained my eyes like hell, but got a 10 at the test. Pretty near perfect colour vision xD

Ashman
Ashman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 06:49 PM Reply

got a 35, could be better

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 08:11 PM Reply

I have vision problems but I think my color acuity is pretty good. I'm nearsighted, blegh.

Color Blind artists

Spags
Spags
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 6/1/12 08:11 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: I have vision problems but I think my color acuity is pretty good. I'm nearsighted, blegh.

Woo! Good job, fellow awesome-colour-viewer.

Color Blind artists

ZaneZansorrow
ZaneZansorrow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 6/2/12 05:07 PM, Spags wrote:
At 6/1/12 08:11 PM, CypressDahlia wrote: I have vision problems but I think my color acuity is pretty good. I'm nearsighted, blegh.
Woo! Good job, fellow awesome-colour-viewer.

Oh noes I'm feeling sort of blind :O

Color Blind artists

BBS Signature
killahwatts
killahwatts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:32 PM Reply

Colour is certainly a strange thing. There's a theory that everyone percieves colours differently, a theory that can't really be proved, but one I find interesting nontheless. As there is no way to describe a colour to someone who hasn't/can't see it. Colour blindness must be hard to work around as an artist, I simply have poor eyesight, especially when it comes to digital screens.

BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 6/2/12 07:32 PM, killahwatts wrote: Colour is certainly a strange thing. There's a theory that everyone percieves colours differently, a theory that can't really be proved, but one I find interesting nontheless. As there is no way to describe a colour to someone who hasn't/can't see it. Colour blindness must be hard to work around as an artist, I simply have poor eyesight, especially when it comes to digital screens.

well to me:
bright greens look yellow
mid greens look normal (woot)
dark greens look brown-ish

I rarely use greens, but still

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:02 PM Reply

Apparently I have trouble distinguishing blues and violets. I wonder if this is negatively affecting my artwork.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

Thanks for linking that test again, I saw it some time ago in the lounge, but didn't take it.

And about the topic, I only knew one guy at school who couldn't distinguish between red and green and he told me it looked almost the same as grey to him. He used to arrange pencils in the pencil case in some order, so he always knew where which kind of red and green was.

Color Blind artists

BBS Signature
GoodFang
GoodFang
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 2nd, 2012 @ 10:23 PM Reply

i heard one of my art teachers in my highschool is fully colorblind. i am not color blind but i am blind from one eye, is that a disadvantage in drawing? because in less than a year of drawing i would say im doing good learning how to draw the figure

This is my badly made signature.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Color Blind artists Jun. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:56 AM Reply

The friend who is color blind is actually my ex boyfriend, and his sister and I used to fuck with him by telling him his (perfectly pleasant, attractive, and reasonable) choices of apparel consisted of horrible color combinations. Good times.

But he also had an eye that didn't work- his depth perception is lousy it doesn't hurt his photography. Drawing is more about hand-eye coordination than depth, and I imagine it might actually help you with drawings- I think a lot of beginners get fooled by stereoscopic vision and have difficulty seeing things as flat.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature