New Topic Respond to this Topic
raveninskyprime
raveninskyprime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Thoughts and concerns on this pic May. 30th, 2012 @ 01:51 AM Reply

I'm at a point where I think everything I do look likes crap. Any pointers on improvements based on this sample?

Thoughts and concerns on this pic

Who are you?
My art thread.

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic May. 30th, 2012 @ 09:38 AM Reply

At 5/30/12 01:51 AM, raveninskyprime wrote: I'm at a point where I think everything I do look likes crap. Any pointers on improvements based on this sample?

Haven't seen you round these parts in a while.
You've hit the overly critical part of the artist's life, where you hate everything about your own work, it's normal.
I will point out though that you really have improved since the beginning though, and your grasp on anatomy is much stronger now than what it once was.

EnactJudo
EnactJudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic May. 30th, 2012 @ 10:00 AM Reply

my guess is the coloring, notably the lighting in contrast to the character and background.

But yeah, everything the guy above me said.

raveninskyprime
raveninskyprime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic May. 31st, 2012 @ 02:23 PM Reply

At 5/30/12 10:00 AM, EnactJudo wrote: my guess is the coloring, notably the lighting in contrast to the character and background.

But yeah, everything the guy above me said.

Okay, thanks. On the coloring side of things, any tips on coloring techniques then?

Who are you?
My art thread.

BBS Signature
RAMB0J3SUS
RAMB0J3SUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic Jun. 1st, 2012 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 5/30/12 01:51 AM, raveninskyprime wrote: I'm at a point where I think everything I do look likes crap. Any pointers on improvements based on this sample?

This picture looks awesome! Although like EnactJudo said, there's definitely a high contrast between the character and the background. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I would recommend either toning the colors on the character himself (herself?) down to a more realistic shade of gray like the background. The blue would be cool to see in high contrast still (imo) because it could be anything since it's a SciFi world.

Speaking of blue, the puddle. The water (ecto-plasma?) that is on the floor near the character's feet seems to really pop in the picture, it's the second thing my eye went to. Again I don't know if it's intentional, or not, but I feel like it takes away strongly from the central focus of this character. I would tone that blue down more, but maybe keep the character's blue the same.

Another thing that caught my eye was the trash cans in the back, I like them, but at the same time they seem kind of cheesy. I would take away the black outline away from them ON THE RIGHT SIDE. Other than that, no more to be done on the background.

On the note of outlines, I would take less outlines away from the character such as in the middle of the helmet and maybe around the shins? Some of the outlines seem a little bit overwhelming and it's a bit distracting (imo). The outlines though on the wall in the background are fucking amazing though. That wall is so brilliantly done. Just take what you've done on the wall and the elements you put into it and apply it to everything else! I love how you made it kind of comic-book-esque. This picture is great otherwise! Good Job!

raveninskyprime
raveninskyprime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic Jun. 3rd, 2012 @ 04:03 AM Reply

Wow, that was a very generous review of the image! Though, there are a few things that I need to point out.

First... It is supposed to be a simple puddle, and it's a bummer that it distracted from the whole piece (and it looks like ecto-plasm!?)

Again, I have to say thank you. I'm taking everything you said to heart. But my ecto plasm liquid is certainly something that I need to work on and would appreciate help on. To see what I mean... Look at the tears of the dude in the attached image to this post. Anyone have any suggestions to make my tears/water less gooey looking? Am I being to heavy on the blue?

Who are you?
My art thread.

BBS Signature
EnactJudo
EnactJudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic Jun. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:26 PM Reply

At 5/31/12 02:23 PM, raveninskyprime wrote: Okay, thanks. On the coloring side of things, any tips on coloring techniques then?

No coloring is something I tend to procrastinate at- but in regards to that picture even I can simply say don't make the character glow when you have a dark background unless you shade in some glow into the background.

RAMB0J3SUS
RAMB0J3SUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic Jun. 3rd, 2012 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 6/3/12 04:03 AM, raveninskyprime wrote:
Am I being to heavy on the blue?

In this one I don't think so, but in the first picture I think so. This picture is also great! I like the comic book quality you have in your drawing for this one. I feel like the inked outlines give this character a solid feel in this almost apocalyptic looking world. As for the tears, they work in this picture. You can tell it's supposed to be tears and they look great! The backgrounds is well done too. Like I said, it looks like a post apocalyptic world, or there is some sort of explosion going on! (Indicated through the lines above the characters head.) The color scheme of this almost orange and black remind me a lot of the old Newgrounds border and I like it. It's a very nice touch! You done did good captain!

raveninskyprime
raveninskyprime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic Jun. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:47 PM Reply

Yeah, that comic book look is something I'm trying to maintain as well. I like building comic books in my spare time, but it would be nice if I could make these pages look like the standard fare one would see from a professional comic book. I may never get published or employed, but It'd be nice to look as slick as the pages produced for those venues.

Attached is another image that could go for some some review.

Who are you?
My art thread.

BBS Signature
Spac3case916
Spac3case916
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic Jun. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:55 PM Reply

At 6/3/12 04:03 AM, raveninskyprime wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions to make my tears/water less gooey looking? Am I being to heavy on the blue?

water is really hard to paint. I cant say much except maybe somethings that you should consider, im not necessarily sure if they will help:

I noticed that you outline some of the tears in black. This would have an effect on it looking like water or not looking like water (again im not sure if more or less is good it's just something I noticed.)
There are no visible drips.
The thickness doesn't vary, it's too uniform.
waters is really reflective so maybe some shines? but that's hard to determine because there are no shines in the rest of the piece.

i like the contrast in the coloring!

[-----free like clouds-----]
Artzzzzz

BBS Signature
raveninskyprime
raveninskyprime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Thoughts and concerns on this pic Jun. 4th, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

Any thoughts concerning this piece of line art? Never mind the dialogue, it's cheesy I know... (That, and out of context it doesn't make sense at all).

Who are you?
My art thread.

BBS Signature