nakedxbabe
nakedxbabe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 25th, 2012 @ 05:43 PM Reply

a electronica band or screamo band?
I want to mix those two genre's when i sing because I'm a huge girly girl screamo singa.

But I'm not sure what it changes, I read it gives more quality sound to loud music like err... death metal
but screamo is relatively softer then death metal and so is electronica unless i play it on a huge stage.

Myspace
Website Coming SoonPurevolume
<BR>Perfection Confection Sugar, you can use it on babies.

BBS Signature
nakedxbabe
nakedxbabe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 25th, 2012 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 5/25/12 05:43 PM, nakedxbabe wrote: a electronica band or screamo band?
I want to mix those two genre's when i sing because I'm a huge girly girl screamo singa.

But I'm not sure what it changes, I read it gives more quality sound to loud music like err... death metal
but screamo is relatively softer then death metal and so is electronica unless i play it on a huge stage.

Also " Do not ever play through a tube head unless it is plugged into a speaker - without a speaker load, you will damage your amp."

so like what speakers do i need for that if i do decide tube heads?
should i get speakers anyways if i dont decide to get a tube head?

Myspace

BBS Signature
BB-7
BB-7
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 25th, 2012 @ 08:40 PM Reply

The speaker I have ever used in my life would have to be the Estaban 800 Amplifier. I have used it for more than 4 years now, best thing I ever got.

Good with tea too.

Would a tube amp be a good idea for

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 27th, 2012 @ 01:12 PM Reply

I use a Kustom Defender 5H tube head (5 watts@16ohms) and matching 1x12 cab. Works well with both my vocals and my guitars so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use a tube head.

Though I would personally recommend getting a tube power amp, rather than a straight up tube head. Which I sort of have, but if you're in a band you're going to want power to rise up with the level of the guitars and drums and what not. So, that being said, I highly recommend something like this. It's very basic, no effects or distortion. Simple. Just plug in a cab, plug in a mic and you're good to go.

BBS Signature
Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 27th, 2012 @ 01:24 PM Reply

Tube amps are generally warmer then solid-state amps, I guess it really comes down what sonic aesthetic you want, if you want a colder, more "high pitch", then i wouldnt go for a tube.
Im a pretty huge fan of Marshalls amps, they do have some lower-end amps that sound amazing for their price, ive been playing everything from jazz to djent metal on them and they just sound amazing.

So I would go for it, it would give some pretty interesting nuances under your vocals.

ALSO: Lower-end solid state amps generally sound like shit, so if you have a lot of money, go for a solid-state.
If not, then go for a tube.

BBS Signature
Trampzy
Trampzy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 28th, 2012 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 5/25/12 05:46 PM, nakedxbabe wrote:

Also " Do not ever play through a tube head unless it is plugged into a speaker - without a speaker load, you will damage your amp."

so like what speakers do i need for that if i do decide tube heads?
should i get speakers anyways if i dont decide to get a tube head?

for the speaker thing (this does apply to solid-state and tube, but especially tube) you need to make sure the speaker can always take more electricity than the amp gives. You have to make sure the number of ohms matches too, otherwise it will be over/under-powered. It's really easy to figure it out, so no worries. But yeah, as someone else mentioned don't buy cheap tube amps; the lucking thing is there isn't many cheap tube amps but if you do buy them, you'll probably need to replace the pre amp tubes instantly if you want better tone. That basically is a brief summary of it. However, in my opinion, for screamo/electronica.. you won't really need a tube amp; it's an unnecessary investment. Electronica is based off the synth and the guitar parts are subtle, then screamo is just not a very complex genre and most the guitar riffs are just low and rhythmic, so solid-state would be a more logical route and then you could save lots of money too. It really comes down to your preference though.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 28th, 2012 @ 06:25 AM Reply

It depends on the Tube Amp! Some tube amps, such as a Fender Bassman, experience alot of voltage sag on louder notes and thus tend to soften the attack of notes. For fast, palm mutey stuff this generaly sounds bad and comes across as a clarity issue. Some newer Marshall and Mesa Boogie heads use solid state rectifiers which don't really suffer from the sag.

Personally for a metalhead who was into doing anything fast I'd be ALL about a solid state head. Tube distortion isn't really a thing once you're squaring the signal off. It's the note bloom, compression and frequency response that characterise a tube amp at that point and they're not neccesarily complementary.

The thing with having a load id basicly the idea that the amp is designed to push current through a 4 or 8 ohm load. By not providing any load the voltage on the output gets stupidly high and damages the amplifier.

nakedxbabe
nakedxbabe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 28th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 5/28/12 06:25 AM, Chris-V2 wrote: It depends on the Tube Amp! Some tube amps, such as a Fender Bassman, experience alot of voltage sag on louder notes and thus tend to soften the attack of notes. For fast, palm mutey stuff this generaly sounds bad and comes across as a clarity issue. Some newer Marshall and Mesa Boogie heads use solid state rectifiers which don't really suffer from the sag.

Personally for a metalhead who was into doing anything fast I'd be ALL about a solid state head.

But I'm not doing metal, I'm using electronica/new wave with some screamo vocals w/ electric guitar.
So would tube amp be a good investment?

Myspace

BBS Signature
nakedxbabe
nakedxbabe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 28th, 2012 @ 05:58 PM Reply

At 5/28/12 02:15 AM, Trampzy wrote:
Electronica is based off the synth and the guitar parts are subtle, then screamo is just not a very complex genre and most the guitar riffs are just low and rhythmic, so solid-state would be a more logical route and then you could save lots of money too. It really comes down to your preference though.

I want a powerful electric guitar for all my electronica/new wave song's though so that it goes better with the screamo vocals that are super high pitched.

Myspace

BBS Signature
Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 28th, 2012 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 5/28/12 05:56 PM, nakedxbabe wrote:
But I'm not doing metal, I'm using electronica/new wave with some screamo vocals w/ electric guitar.
So would tube amp be a good investment?

As I said, if you're doing a very fast and heavy guitar style then solid state is the way to go. Otherwise they're both equally good options. Tube amp is a general term and the differences between a Fender Deluxe and a Vox AC30 are significant - I'd suggest try some amps out and making the decision for yourself. I know tube amps and solid states I've disliked (Those open back 2x8" Marshalls are pretty gross).

Use your ears!

seel
seel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Would a tube amp be a good idea for May. 29th, 2012 @ 11:45 AM Reply

If you have to ask if you need a tube amp, you probably won't need a tube amp. Heck, considering how advanced digital guitar amp simulations are these days, guitar tube amps are becoming pretty much obsolete in a live environment (still useful in rehearsals and very useful in the studio) unless you know what you're doing and crave real tubes like some fanatic.

It would be a lot easier to give you some suggestions if you gave us a budget, but either way I'd say go for a digital solution such as a POD, Boss multifx, Peavey vypyr etc. Hell even the Behringer vamp is a decent unit despite it being a Behringer product. They're much cheaper than a decent tube head, they sound great with some tweaking (still hard to compete with the tube heads they're trying to simulate but you probably wouldn't notice) they're easier to haul around to gigs than some 100lb tube head and cabinet, and they're often a thousand times more versatile than a simple old solid-state amp.