00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Refuce just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Professional Recording Microphone??

1,389 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey I'm looking to buy one of the more professional recording mics. Im looking online for the best deals on them, but so far everythings coming up kind of expensive. If theres any musicians or producers out there who know of a good spot for deals on mics then I'd appreciate the info. The microphone is going to be used to record people singing and rapping most likely. Thanks for reading

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-24 19:06:01

If I can offer some advice, just grab a dynamic. LDC's are not mandatory for great sounding, big vocals. Thom Yorke, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder all did fine without one.

Get a 58. If that's too expensive, go with a cheaper handheld. Alot of the rip offs get pretty close for the cash. At any rate the time, especialy with singing, is so much better put into getting the vocal performance right that if you capture it you've won.

However if you want a seriously nice microphone a Beyerdynamic M201 is an absolute motherchugger. Great on vocals where the singer has alot of presence, really just takes in what's being sent and doesn't mess with it. If you're made of cash, I'd go a step futher and say an RE20. If you were dead set on a Condensor I'd recommend the JM47, as that's the best bang for buck condensor I've heard.

Protip: I almost always set up an SM58 dead centre on the singer and if it sucks (and I don't have anything else) I'll swap set up another mic in a less conventional position and use it as a dummy mic- the singer has a physical cue to work off of, and I can toy with mic placement without them having to sing with the microphone 30 degrees off to the right or whatever. Sometimes I've to remind myself they're not a guitar or a drum or something.

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-25 12:34:03

At 5/24/12 12:25 PM, up2dtime07 wrote: Hey I'm looking to buy one of the more professional recording mics. Im looking online for the best deals on them, but so far everythings coming up kind of expensive. If theres any musicians or producers out there who know of a good spot for deals on mics then I'd appreciate the info. The microphone is going to be used to record people singing and rapping most likely. Thanks for reading

Sm57s are a good all rounder, and they're cheap, and pretty difficult to break. I'd suggest one of them, they're the industry standard for pretty much everything.

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-25 13:14:19

At 5/25/12 12:34 PM, FuckSandwich wrote: Sm57s are a good all rounder, and they're cheap, and pretty difficult to break. I'd suggest one of them, they're the industry standard for pretty much everything.

If you're ever planning on playing live or recording a guitar through an amplifier, or are on a budget, or want a mic that is quite actually indestructible then the SM57 is the way to go. The SM58 is also pretty nice for vocals: whereas the 57 has a very even response over the freq spectrum (with the 57, what you hear is what you'll get), the 58 has - if I remember correctly - a little high-end boost, a gently scooped middle, and less rumbly low-end.

If you're just recording vocals... there are so many microphones, you really need to play around with a lot of them and see which one works with your voice. For example, tube condenser mics have a warm-but-slightly muffled sound; large diaphragm condensers are generally a bit duller than dynamics (slower transients); ribbon mics can give a wonderful warm sound (they were very popular in the 50s before condensers became readily available). And of course, each model will emphasize certain frequency ranges.

So, really, we can't tell you "this is the mic you should get." Because you might sound fantastic on a $20 mic from Target, but sound awful on a $2000 Neumann.

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-25 16:40:54

At 5/25/12 01:14 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
The SM58 is also pretty nice for vocals: whereas the 57 has a very even response over the freq spectrum (with the 57, what you hear is what you'll get), the 58 has - if I remember correctly - a little high-end boost, a gently scooped middle, and less rumbly low-end.

No.

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-25 16:45:19

At 5/25/12 04:40 PM, Chris-V2 wrote:
At 5/25/12 01:14 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
The SM58 is also pretty nice for vocals: whereas the 57 has a very even response over the freq spectrum (with the 57, what you hear is what you'll get), the 58 has - if I remember correctly - a little high-end boost, a gently scooped middle, and less rumbly low-end.
No.

Yeah, wow, that's a REALLY helpful post. I'm sure the OP is going to make a very informed purchasing decision based on your response.

If you're going to say I'm wrong, you should at least provide something to back up your claim; better yet, you should post something to the contrary that would actually contribute to the thread, and help the OP.

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-25 17:32:46

You're looking for one of the more professional mic... but you want cheap mics lol

Well you can still get away with decent quality with $200-$400 mics. Along with a decent preamp. If anything Neumann mics are your best bet for vocals IF of course you have the money. If you're looking for lower ones audio technica mics arent bad at all.

Just remember when it comes with audio equipment, you get what you payed for. Meaning cheap mics arent going to get you that "quality" that you're looking for. It will certainly still sound good of course especially if you're recording a talented singer or rapper.

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-25 18:03:09

At 5/25/12 04:45 PM, RampantMusik wrote:
Yeah, wow, that's a REALLY helpful post. I'm sure the OP is going to make a very informed purchasing decision based on your response.

If you're going to say I'm wrong, you should at least provide something to back up your claim; better yet, you should post something to the contrary that would actually contribute to the thread, and help the OP.

It wasn't a claim, it was a relatively subtle que to tell you to RTFM on the SM58 and 57. They're not flat. At all. You can get indignant, but misinformation is misinformation. We're trying to help him, after all.

Anyway, I already made my helpful post of the day. In this thread no less.

Response to Professional Recording Microphone?? 2012-05-29 06:18:43

Ideally you don't want to cheap out when it comes to condenser mics. I suggest you look at Rode, AKG, Sennheiser and the entry-level Neumanns (TLM102/103).

"It's not that hard being a film cricket" -- HOMER SIMPSON