liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 02:55 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: So if a person doesn't own a television, they aren't required to obtain a TV license.

Incorrect. Live internet streams also require you to have a license if you're watching stuff on sites like the BBC, whether it be on computer or mobile phone etc.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Artist
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 03:53 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 03:52 PM, liljim wrote:
At 8/9/12 02:55 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: So if a person doesn't own a television, they aren't required to obtain a TV license.
Incorrect. Live internet streams also require you to have a license if you're watching stuff on sites like the BBC, whether it be on computer or mobile phone etc.

Rephrase: If you're planning on receiving BBC broadcasts in some form, you have to get a TV license, otherwise no. Point remains.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 03:53 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 8/9/12 03:52 PM, liljim wrote:
Rephrase: If you're planning on receiving BBC broadcasts in some form, you have to get a TV license, otherwise no. Point remains.

"You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast."

The BBC is not the only UK TV station to be broadcasting live, whether that be online or whatever.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 04:09 PM Reply

Same here. In fact, the german fee model was build after the british fee model. I just phrased it badly. So, I have to pay a fee if I might be able to recieve a public program in my own home.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 01:28 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/9/12 01:02 PM, Otto wrote:
ad-free coverage:
I'm so jealous. I'm tired of damn McDonald's ads telling us Americans to cheer for our athletes so we can get free burgers.

The worst part is that the promotion won't let us choose, otherwise many would have chosen Phelps for easy wins.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
chiefindomer
chiefindomer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 03:19 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: But it's cool, we get pretty decent coverage of where most Americans are doing well at and some others too, like Sync Swimming, Equestrian, etc. I haven't seen any boxing action or weight lifting, or ping pong or other smaller sports.

They're covering those sports on MSNBC, CNBC, and NBCSP throughout the morning and/or afternoon depending on the channel. Boxing has been on like everyday for the past week, week and a half maybe. I even watched a little taekwondo earlier today.

BBS Signature
Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:45 PM Reply

I don't really care about the Olympics, but the English hockeyplayers just got their asses RAPED!

New tune: Yag

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:49 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:45 PM, Syztm wrote: I don't really care about the Olympics, but the English hockeyplayers just got their asses RAPED!

There isn't an England team competing.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:50 PM Reply

America in the lead again in gold and Medal count 89 medals to chinas 80 and 1 more gold than china.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:50 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:41 PM, chiefindomer wrote:
At 8/9/12 03:19 PM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: But it's cool, we get pretty decent coverage of where most Americans are doing well at and some others too, like Sync Swimming, Equestrian, etc. I haven't seen any boxing action or weight lifting, or ping pong or other smaller sports.
They're covering those sports on MSNBC, CNBC, and NBCSP throughout the morning and/or afternoon depending on the channel. Boxing has been on like everyday for the past week, week and a half maybe. I even watched a little taekwondo earlier today.

I keep forgetting about the time difference as to when these are shown. Did you guys at least see some of the BMX quarter finals? The guy from the US did really well (qualified first) and all of that was pretty entertaining to watch.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:51 PM, Ejit wrote: Tonight there were finals for the 200m, 800m, triple jump, decathlon, taekwondo and women's football

Aside from the football, which I have no interest in, I watched all of that in the background while I was working.

And you're talking about license fees and advertising

And?

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:51 PM, Ejit wrote: That Rudisha seems like a lovely guy too, n what a run.

Better than the 200m race imo. Well the 200m has the Bolt factor of course and what a legend Bolt already is, but that 800m final was superb. Rudisha seemed to just pull all the other runners with him even while I completely dominated them at the same time. Says a lot about the sheer quality of that man that his World Record performance also boosted the performances of each other runner. Didn't they all, bar one or two make new personal bests? And the ones who didn't made still made seasonal bests. What a runner he is.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

I don't know why I said I.

Also Jade Jones, how awesome. The women seem to doing remarkable well for GB. The men aren't too shabby either.

BBS Signature
Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:49 PM, liljim wrote:
At 8/9/12 05:45 PM, Syztm wrote: I don't really care about the Olympics, but the English hockeyplayers just got their asses RAPED!

Err yes there is?

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:54 PM, Gagsy wrote: Didn't they all, bar one or two make new personal bests? And the ones who didn't made still made seasonal bests. What a runner he is.

The last guy to cross the line (Osagie, British guy) finished in a time that would have got him gold in the last three Olympics. And yes, it was his personal best.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:59 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:56 PM, Syztm wrote:
Err yes there is?

Err no, there isn't.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 06:00 PM Reply

Err yes there is?

Lucky you Dutch are better at sports than geography.

BBS Signature
Syztm
Syztm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 06:12 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:59 PM, liljim wrote:
Err yes there is?
Err no, there isn't.

Meh, I tend to call it England incorrectly most of the time, sorry about that :P you catch my drift, though.

hateyou1
hateyou1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 06:16 PM Reply

America will win the Olympics like they always have.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 06:21 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 06:16 PM, hateyou1 wrote: America will win the Olympics like they always have.

Like they did in Beijing? Okay.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 06:24 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 06:12 PM, Syztm wrote:
At 8/9/12 05:59 PM, liljim wrote:
Err yes there is?
Err no, there isn't.
Meh, I tend to call it England incorrectly most of the time, sorry about that :P you catch my drift, though.

Isn't that like most people calling the Netherlands "Holland", by mistake? I mean, England is a part of Britain, though it is a country in its own right, though Holland is just a region of the Netherlands, not a country on its own, correct?

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
VGmasters
VGmasters
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 08:33 PM Reply

Good to see US women's soccer beating Japan this time, the japs got lucky last year. Abby Wambach and Hope Solo are yet to win a WC title though.

Lorkas
Lorkas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 08:35 PM Reply

Anyone else upset about Hysen Pulaku not making it in the olympics?

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12
NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 09:27 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 07:11 PM, Ejit wrote:
More importantly though

Words/phrases I am sick of hearing on the BBC's coverage:

You've forgotten the best one!

Any commentary by Andy Jameson.

He will not go one minute without using the phrases "Goodness me" and "Very close/fast/slow/dangerous indeed".

I love it.

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 10:09 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 08:33 PM, VGmasters wrote: Good to see US women's soccer beating Japan this time, the japs got lucky last year. Abby Wambach and Hope Solo are yet to win a WC title though.

Yes because it was their fault that they didn't win a WC title.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 11:50 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 06:21 PM, liljim wrote:
At 8/9/12 06:16 PM, hateyou1 wrote: America will win the Olympics like they always have.

Too be fair, when your biggest threat has the host country advantage shit can happen. But China is doing very well, and GB is doing WAYYY better than the first few days indicated they would.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 11:53 AM Reply

America is 2 golds and 10 medals ahead of china!! wooot!

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 11:56 AM Reply

they should have David tennant dressed as the Doctor for the closing ceremony

who could deny that face?

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 12:07 PM Reply

At 8/10/12 11:56 AM, Otto wrote:
At 8/10/12 11:50 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 8/9/12 06:21 PM, liljim wrote:
Too be fair, when your biggest threat has the host country advantage shit can happen. But China is doing very well, and GB is doing WAYYY better than the first few days indicated they would.
I thought the point was there is no host-country advantage? Please prove it if you believe otherwise. GB got disqualified from winning a cycling gold over a minor error.

Host-country advantage doesn't mean the judges are on your side, they're on no one's side, it means the same thing as any home court advantage in any sport really. I mean, where would you rather play, in your home town, or thousands of miles away, with no one backing you but your team mates as well as not having a clue about your surroundings?

The Point is, GB feels more at home, which A. Relaxes them and B. Aren't distracted by tourist traps because they live there. Granted, it's not a huge advantage, and it shouldn't be, but the Advantage of being closer to home with your whole country thinking your an awesome athlete is indeed advantageous and still significant. It's also somewhat advantageous for America as well, being in a country of which you have close relations to, and speaks your language is much easier to get use to than say, China.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 10th, 2012 @ 04:39 PM Reply

Of course a home advantage exists. I'll be honest, I don't think Jessica Ennis would have ran as fast as she did for the 100m hurdles if it wasn't for her being on home turf and pushing herself further for the cword. Also works in reverse though with the pressure getting to be too much for the home team and they falter.

At 8/10/12 03:02 PM, Ejit wrote:
Also, for fuck's sake BBC we don't need to see the replay of a changeover fuckup 20 times.

They don't actually control the camera. Pretty sure its a neutral company that beams the images worldwide. At least its what I've heard the commentary team say several times when the camera has chosen not to focus on something British.

BBS Signature