Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-08 18:03:34 Reply

heres croatia versus Tunis man I am just watching whats on while cleaning.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-08 18:14:12 Reply

Apologies for the low quality of this link, but it's the only one that I could find that had more than a few seconds of footage that's available internationally (the commentary of this particular clip is what makes it for me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVx9NjQTvk

UK users can see a decent version here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19179092

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-08 19:02:14 Reply

At 8/8/12 04:28 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/8/12 02:31 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Then again, badminton in the Olympics...do you consider badminton a sport? I mean it's more like a game than a sport.
Have you ever played Badminton? Of course it's a sport.

I've discussed sport/not a sport to no end, and my universal theory is that a sport is the intersection of a competitive athletic event, a game, and an activity involving a stick and/or a ball. Badminton fits this definition (a racket is a stick and a shuttlecock is a ball).

If you play competitively, badminton is extremely demanding physically, it's just that most people only ever play casually. Same thing with ping pong.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 02:21:04 Reply

At 8/8/12 06:14 PM, liljim wrote: Apologies for the low quality of this link, but it's the only one that I could find that had more than a few seconds of footage that's available internationally (the commentary of this particular clip is what makes it for me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVx9NjQTvk

UK users can see a decent version here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19179092

Holy Frijoles! That guy's pretty damn lucky he didn't end up impaling himself. If I were the other coaches, I'd have all my equipment tested before I let them compete.

By the way, was he given another 'crack' at it?

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 02:23:25 Reply

At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote: ping pong.

Or table tennis, as it's known by anyone over the age of four.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 02:25:57 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:23 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote: ping pong.
Or table tennis, as it's known by anyone over the age of four.

us cool kids call it whiff whaff.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 02:28:46 Reply

At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote:
At 8/8/12 02:31 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
If you play competitively, badminton is extremely demanding physically, it's just that most people only ever play casually. Same thing with ping pong.

At a professional level table tennis and badminton both demand dexterity and coordination on a level unheard of at the casual level.

The discrepancy between Olympic and casual players is absolutely massive so it's hard to really put yourself in a position to take it seriously until you see it. Even then it seems almost comical.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 02:37:40 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:28 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
The discrepancy between Olympic and casual players is absolutely massive so it's hard to really put yourself in a position to take it seriously until you see it. Even then it seems almost comical.

And the way professional ping pong players are nothing short of hilarious the way they serve the ball.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
lolitalulu50
lolitalulu50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 04:23:40 Reply

though LiuXiang fell down in the men's 110m hurdle race , he is our chinese greatest hero!

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 05:30:49 Reply

At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote:
At 8/8/12 02:31 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Then again, badminton in the Olympics...do you consider badminton a sport? I mean it's more like a game than a sport.
Have you ever played Badminton? Of course it's a sport.
I've discussed sport/not a sport to no end, and my universal theory is that a sport is the intersection of a competitive athletic event, a game, and an activity involving a stick and/or a ball. Badminton fits this definition (a racket is a stick and a shuttlecock is a ball).

But chess is a sport as well. Thinking long and hard about your next move can be very exhausting. Not only mentally but physically as well!

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 05:47:52 Reply

I'm really in suspense over who will end up with the most medals out of China and the USA

cause the olympics is all about who has the most medals right fellas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 05:57:27 Reply

At 8/9/12 05:47 AM, Halberd wrote: I'm really in suspense over who will end up with the most medals out of China and the USA

cause the olympics is all about who has the most medals right fellas

Most Gold Medals. Silver and Bronze only count in the case of a tie!!!

Sig by Some Guy - AMA Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod "Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 11:38:18 Reply

At 8/9/12 11:24 AM, Otto wrote:
Poor Russia, I thought this was your thing.

Ha, they'll never be as good as they were during their Soviet years. :P

Sig by Some Guy - AMA Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod "Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 11:44:25 Reply

I just learned that there's a young woman on the US Volleyball team with the name Destinee Hooker. That poor girl! :o

At 8/9/12 11:38 AM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/9/12 11:24 AM, Otto wrote:
Poor Russia, I thought this was your thing.
Ha, they'll never be as good as they were during their Soviet years. :P

Which isn't too surprising, since many countries that once where included in Soviet Russia are now sorveign states, that win many medals on their own (6 golds for Kazakhstan, for example).

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 11:57:44 Reply

At 8/9/12 11:44 AM, Haggard wrote: Which isn't too surprising, since many countries that once where included in Soviet Russia are now sorveign states, that win many medals on their own (6 golds for Kazakhstan, for example).

Russia's jackets are so ugly. i just cant get over how ugly they are. I turn off the tv if i know they are going to be in the medal presentation ceremony

None

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 12:02:21 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:21 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: By the way, was he given another 'crack' at it?

I'm not sure, I only saw it in the highlights. Speaking of which, UK users only I'm afraid:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19192421

Someone might be able to find a decent clip on youtube.

That prompts a question to people outside of the UK - how good's the coverage for you guys wherever you live? Are they showing plenty of events? And how are people thinking the games are going, with respect to audience participation and feedback from tourists etc?

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 12:10:49 Reply

At 8/9/12 12:02 PM, liljim wrote:
I'm not sure, I only saw it in the highlights. Speaking of which, UK users only I'm afraid:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19192421

Someone might be able to find a decent clip on youtube.

Saw it live on tv when it happened. It was.. immense. The New Zealand dude finishing coolly must have been smiling beneath his helmet. I can't pretend that crashes aren't what makes watching BMX riding worthwhile to me.

That prompts a question to people outside of the UK - how good's the coverage for you guys wherever you live? Are they showing plenty of events? And how are people thinking the games are going, with respect to audience participation and feedback from tourists etc?

I hear NBC didn't show the 100m final live but not completely sure if thats right. If so thats beyond terrible.

Personally I don't think the BBC has put a foot wrong with us UK viewers, besides the odd commentary choices now and then. Still, miles better than ITV would have been.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 12:16:08 Reply

At 8/9/12 12:02 PM, liljim wrote: That prompts a question to people outside of the UK - how good's the coverage for you guys wherever you live? Are they showing plenty of events? And how are people thinking the games are going, with respect to audience participation and feedback from tourists etc?

Coverage in the US sucks. We dont have cable here in this house so we get nothin. You need to be a cable subscriber to access the live stream on the US side. They've been pretty aggressive at making sure nobody else has access to coverage.

I usually watch events from streams on firstrow. I was watching the brazilian stream the other day, it seemed only exclusively brazilian participation which prompted me to believe that alot of countries are just doing dedicated coverage to their kind. To be fair there are alot of events running at the same time.

None

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 12:17:29 Reply

At 8/9/12 12:02 PM, liljim wrote:

I kinda hate NBC's coverage to be honest with you. I only seem to catch volleyball, swimming, and gymnastics from them. Maybe I'm not watching "the correct way", but it seems like I'm missing out on a lot of events and I kinda resent that.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 13:11:44 Reply

83 medals 2 more gold we lead over china and far ahead in medal count

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 13:28:00 Reply

At 8/9/12 01:02 PM, Otto wrote:
ad-free coverage:

I'm so jealous. I'm tired of damn McDonald's ads telling us Americans to cheer for our athletes so we can get free burgers.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 13:38:22 Reply

At 8/9/12 01:28 PM, ZJ wrote: McDonald's ads telling us Americans to cheer for our athletes so we can get free burgers.

wait what? Im going to mcdonalds.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 13:41:29 Reply

At 8/9/12 01:28 PM, ZJ wrote:
ad-free coverage:
I'm so jealous. I'm tired of damn McDonald's ads telling us Americans to cheer for our athletes so we can get free burgers.

To give you an idea of how awesome BBC have been with their coverage.

Just look at the BBC channel listings, BBC1 and BBC3 espiecally, then scroll right down to see all the extra channels set up just for the Olympics. Sports all day.

(I highly doubt you can watch from overseas but I'll give you my log in details for that site if you want to check)

To be fair its only because we're hosting. In 4 years time we won't have coverage live of every sport.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 14:03:03 Reply

At 8/9/12 01:41 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 8/9/12 01:28 PM, ZJ wrote:
ad-free coverage:
To give you an idea of how awesome BBC have been with their coverage.

I was always jealous of BBC. Seems to be a pretty cool channel. But at least we have Eurosport, and they have the BEST commentators around. Not only do they cheer on the german athletes, but they also cheer on athletes from other countries. They only care about the sports. If anybody perfoms well, they say that the athlete performs well. If an athlete disappoints, they don't fear to say it like it is, no matter what nationality the athlete has.
And on top of that: They know nearly EVERYTHING about sports there is to know. Heck, they are doing their job for 20 years now, and this experience really shows.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 14:08:04 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:03 PM, Haggard wrote: Not only do they cheer on the german athletes, but they also cheer on athletes from other countries. They only care about the sports. If anybody perfoms well, they say that the athlete performs well. If an athlete disappoints, they don't fear to say it like it is, no matter what nationality the athlete has.
And on top of that: They know nearly EVERYTHING about sports there is to know. Heck, they are doing their job for 20 years now, and this experience really shows.

That's not really any different to any sports coverage you get over here... Obviously they get excited when the home nation does well, but that's kinda understandable.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 14:10:34 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:03 PM, Haggard wrote: I was always jealous of BBC. Seems to be a pretty cool channel.

If you don't own a television, they send you threatening letters saying you'll be fined if you don't buy a TV license from them.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 14:45:33 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:08 PM, liljim wrote:
At 8/9/12 02:03 PM, Haggard wrote: Not only do they cheer on the german athletes, but they also cheer on athletes from other countries. They only care about the sports. If anybody perfoms well, they say that the athlete performs well. If an athlete disappoints, they don't fear to say it like it is, no matter what nationality the athlete has.
That's not really any different to any sports coverage you get over here... Obviously they get excited when the home nation does well, but that's kinda understandable.

The only other channels I can watch sports on are the ARD ("Consortium of public-law broadcasting institutions of the Federal Republic of Germany") and ZDF ("Second German Television"), two publich channels. And they get excited whenever there's a german athlete on the screen (they even have their own cameras, focussing only on german athletes) and EVERY time they try to make the german athletes look good, even if they show their worst perfomance of their lifetime. This gets really annoying after a while, so it's nice to have channels like Eurosport, where you get a balanced coverage of the olympic games.

At 8/9/12 02:10 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 8/9/12 02:03 PM, Haggard wrote: I was always jealous of BBC. Seems to be a pretty cool channel.
If you don't own a television, they send you threatening letters saying you'll be fined if you don't buy a TV license from them.

Well, somehow you have to meet the return assumptions, don't you?

Also, it's no different from Germany. I have to pay a fee just because I MIGHT(!!!!) be able to listen to public radio or I MIGHT be able to watch public television. It doesn't matter if I do it or not, as long as I have a recieving set (ie radio or television), I have to pay the fee. They even want to collect money from people who own a PC, because they might be listening to the radio online or watch streams on a website.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Artist
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 14:55:53 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:45 PM, Haggard wrote: Well, somehow you have to meet the return assumptions, don't you?
Also, it's no different from Germany.

Actually it's somewhat different from Germany, because the television license is supposed to allow a person to receive television broadcasts on their own property. It has nothing to do with "you might see a TV show in someone else's house" or "you might see a TV in a shop window", etc.

So if a person doesn't own a television, they aren't required to obtain a TV license. But that doesn't stop the licensing authorities from sending threatening letters and demanding money from the people who don't own TVs. If you try to contact them to inform them that you don't own a television, they either don't believe you or they promise to stop contacting you, and then in either case you get a "final warning" letter in the post a few days later.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 15:19:00 Reply

I'm sick and tired of NBC shoving promos down my throat. I don't give a damn about the Today show, I don't give a damn about Grimm and I sure as hell don't want to hear any more about The "New Normal" (I swear they show that fucking commercial after every single event).

But it's cool, we get pretty decent coverage of where most Americans are doing well at and some others too, like Sync Swimming, Equestrian, etc. I haven't seen any boxing action or weight lifting, or ping pong or other smaller sports. But we've gotten all the major ones, all of Swimming, Diving, Track and Field, Volleyball (beach and court), even Water Polo (mostly because we've done really well in it)

So yeah, I'm pretty happy with my coverage

but if I have to hear about "New normal" again, I'm gonna go to NBC headquarters and shove the ad coordinator's head up his ass.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-09 15:52:20 Reply

At 8/9/12 02:55 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: So if a person doesn't own a television, they aren't required to obtain a TV license.

Incorrect. Live internet streams also require you to have a license if you're watching stuff on sites like the BBC, whether it be on computer or mobile phone etc.