Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 01:26 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 08:52 AM, Elfer wrote:
At 8/6/12 08:41 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Glad the women soccer team beat the Canadian team,
Um yeah, sort of. The outcome of that game was pretty much decided by the ref.

Don't feel too bad for the Canadians though, had it been anyone else...that would be awkward. As long it wasn't those three chance kind of thing like what happened in that one certain event that is.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 02:20 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 08:06 AM, Coop wrote: He was reinstated on appeal to the 1,500m and won gold, convincingly. Hell, if you're going to ban him and the badminton players for not using their best efforts, why not ban Usain Bolt 4 years ago, for easing off in the 100m final. Learn where to draw the damned line!

Yeah, the "not using your best effort" is a nice thought, but you shouldn't disqualify anyone because of it. If Bolt is so damn fast, then why shouldn't he kind of walk over the finish line? It may be disrespectful to the other athletes, but come on.

The badminton players, however... it's not only that they didn't "try their best", they just cheated.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 02:31 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 02:20 PM, Haggard wrote:

The badminton players, however... it's not only that they didn't "try their best", they just cheated.

Also, when both of the teams starts trying to throw the game, it gets weird. Trying to lose is one thing, but when both teams tries to give the game to one and the other, no way one can take it seriously.

Then again, badminton in the Olympics...do you consider badminton a sport? I mean it's more like a game than a sport.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 03:05 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 02:20 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/8/12 08:06 AM, Coop wrote: He was reinstated on appeal to the 1,500m and won gold, convincingly. Hell, if you're going to ban him and the badminton players for not using their best efforts, why not ban Usain Bolt 4 years ago, for easing off in the 100m final. Learn where to draw the damned line!
Yeah, the "not using your best effort" is a nice thought, but you shouldn't disqualify anyone because of it. If Bolt is so damn fast, then why shouldn't he kind of walk over the finish line? It may be disrespectful to the other athletes, but come on.

Right. The Algerian guy was reinstated after he got a Doctor to prove that he wasn't fit for the race he flunked on. There's a huge difference between the Badminton players and him in so much that they knew who they'd face in a one-on-one basis beforehand. That and the fact the referee of one the matches (didn't see them both) came out and warned them over their behaviour and they ignored him. They were fully fit and just gently tapping the shuttlecock at the net on serve - there's no way that you can compare the two. And as for Bolt, he'd already done enough to win the race.

Talking of unfair disqualification/relegation though, I really do feel for Victoria Pendleton. In the women's team sprint, I can understand them being disqualified, but in the first heat of the singles sprint final, that was a really horrible decision by the judges.

Anna Meares barged her off the left of the track, so to compensate she turned her wheel slightly to the right which put her out of the sprint lane (which she should have stuck in) temporarily. Given the other discretion the cycling judges gave some of the other competitors in the velodrome, I think that was unfair.

Granted, Meares did beat her fair and square in the second of the two heats, but the outcome might have been different if Pendleton hadn't been disqualified in the first heat. Oh well.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 03:16 PM Reply

Blimey. Risky move from Blake just there in the 200m semi. Just completely took his foot off the gas and almost got caught on the line. His time 20.01 - the two guys after him - 20.02 and 20.03 respectably.

Kind of wish he got done there. There is easing up when you've practically won but then there is showboating and Blake was showboating to the extreme with that one.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 03:58 PM Reply

Few minutes until the women's beach volleyball begins.

Will Misty May and Walsh three-peat or will there be the passing of the torch?

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 04:28 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 02:31 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Then again, badminton in the Olympics...do you consider badminton a sport? I mean it's more like a game than a sport.

Have you ever played Badminton? Of course it's a sport.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 05:39 PM Reply

4 days left have to get 40 more medals.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 05:56 PM Reply

and Britain loses in field hockey.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 06:03 PM Reply

heres croatia versus Tunis man I am just watching whats on while cleaning.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 06:14 PM Reply

Apologies for the low quality of this link, but it's the only one that I could find that had more than a few seconds of footage that's available internationally (the commentary of this particular clip is what makes it for me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVx9NjQTvk

UK users can see a decent version here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19179092

Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 8th, 2012 @ 07:02 PM Reply

At 8/8/12 04:28 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/8/12 02:31 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Then again, badminton in the Olympics...do you consider badminton a sport? I mean it's more like a game than a sport.

I've discussed sport/not a sport to no end, and my universal theory is that a sport is the intersection of a competitive athletic event, a game, and an activity involving a stick and/or a ball. Badminton fits this definition (a racket is a stick and a shuttlecock is a ball).

If you play competitively, badminton is extremely demanding physically, it's just that most people only ever play casually. Same thing with ping pong.

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 02:21 AM Reply

At 8/8/12 06:14 PM, liljim wrote: Apologies for the low quality of this link, but it's the only one that I could find that had more than a few seconds of footage that's available internationally (the commentary of this particular clip is what makes it for me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTVx9NjQTvk

UK users can see a decent version here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19179092

Holy Frijoles! That guy's pretty damn lucky he didn't end up impaling himself. If I were the other coaches, I'd have all my equipment tested before I let them compete.

By the way, was he given another 'crack' at it?

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Artist
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 02:23 AM Reply

At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote: ping pong.

Or table tennis, as it's known by anyone over the age of four.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 02:25 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 02:23 AM, yurgenburgen wrote:
At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote: ping pong.
Or table tennis, as it's known by anyone over the age of four.

us cool kids call it whiff whaff.

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 02:28 AM Reply

At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote:
At 8/8/12 02:31 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
If you play competitively, badminton is extremely demanding physically, it's just that most people only ever play casually. Same thing with ping pong.

At a professional level table tennis and badminton both demand dexterity and coordination on a level unheard of at the casual level.

The discrepancy between Olympic and casual players is absolutely massive so it's hard to really put yourself in a position to take it seriously until you see it. Even then it seems almost comical.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 02:28 AM, Gobblemeister wrote:
The discrepancy between Olympic and casual players is absolutely massive so it's hard to really put yourself in a position to take it seriously until you see it. Even then it seems almost comical.

And the way professional ping pong players are nothing short of hilarious the way they serve the ball.

BBS Signature
lolitalulu50
lolitalulu50
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 04:23 AM Reply

though LiuXiang fell down in the men's 110m hurdle race , he is our chinese greatest hero!

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:30 AM Reply

At 8/8/12 07:02 PM, Elfer wrote:
I've discussed sport/not a sport to no end, and my universal theory is that a sport is the intersection of a competitive athletic event, a game, and an activity involving a stick and/or a ball. Badminton fits this definition (a racket is a stick and a shuttlecock is a ball).

But chess is a sport as well. Thinking long and hard about your next move can be very exhausting. Not only mentally but physically as well!

Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:47 AM Reply

I'm really in suspense over who will end up with the most medals out of China and the USA

cause the olympics is all about who has the most medals right fellas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 05:57 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 05:47 AM, Halberd wrote: I'm really in suspense over who will end up with the most medals out of China and the USA

cause the olympics is all about who has the most medals right fellas

Most Gold Medals. Silver and Bronze only count in the case of a tie!!!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 11:38 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 11:24 AM, Otto wrote:
Poor Russia, I thought this was your thing.

Ha, they'll never be as good as they were during their Soviet years. :P

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 11:44 AM Reply

I just learned that there's a young woman on the US Volleyball team with the name Destinee Hooker. That poor girl! :o

At 8/9/12 11:38 AM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/9/12 11:24 AM, Otto wrote:
Poor Russia, I thought this was your thing.
Ha, they'll never be as good as they were during their Soviet years. :P

Which isn't too surprising, since many countries that once where included in Soviet Russia are now sorveign states, that win many medals on their own (6 golds for Kazakhstan, for example).

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 8/9/12 11:44 AM, Haggard wrote: Which isn't too surprising, since many countries that once where included in Soviet Russia are now sorveign states, that win many medals on their own (6 golds for Kazakhstan, for example).

Russia's jackets are so ugly. i just cant get over how ugly they are. I turn off the tv if i know they are going to be in the medal presentation ceremony

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 12:02 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 02:21 AM, HollowedPumkinz wrote: By the way, was he given another 'crack' at it?

I'm not sure, I only saw it in the highlights. Speaking of which, UK users only I'm afraid:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19192421

Someone might be able to find a decent clip on youtube.

That prompts a question to people outside of the UK - how good's the coverage for you guys wherever you live? Are they showing plenty of events? And how are people thinking the games are going, with respect to audience participation and feedback from tourists etc?

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 51
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 12:10 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 12:02 PM, liljim wrote:
I'm not sure, I only saw it in the highlights. Speaking of which, UK users only I'm afraid:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19192421

Someone might be able to find a decent clip on youtube.

Saw it live on tv when it happened. It was.. immense. The New Zealand dude finishing coolly must have been smiling beneath his helmet. I can't pretend that crashes aren't what makes watching BMX riding worthwhile to me.

That prompts a question to people outside of the UK - how good's the coverage for you guys wherever you live? Are they showing plenty of events? And how are people thinking the games are going, with respect to audience participation and feedback from tourists etc?

I hear NBC didn't show the 100m final live but not completely sure if thats right. If so thats beyond terrible.

Personally I don't think the BBC has put a foot wrong with us UK viewers, besides the odd commentary choices now and then. Still, miles better than ITV would have been.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 12:16 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 12:02 PM, liljim wrote: That prompts a question to people outside of the UK - how good's the coverage for you guys wherever you live? Are they showing plenty of events? And how are people thinking the games are going, with respect to audience participation and feedback from tourists etc?

Coverage in the US sucks. We dont have cable here in this house so we get nothin. You need to be a cable subscriber to access the live stream on the US side. They've been pretty aggressive at making sure nobody else has access to coverage.

I usually watch events from streams on firstrow. I was watching the brazilian stream the other day, it seemed only exclusively brazilian participation which prompted me to believe that alot of countries are just doing dedicated coverage to their kind. To be fair there are alot of events running at the same time.

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 12:17 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 12:02 PM, liljim wrote:

I kinda hate NBC's coverage to be honest with you. I only seem to catch volleyball, swimming, and gymnastics from them. Maybe I'm not watching "the correct way", but it seems like I'm missing out on a lot of events and I kinda resent that.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 01:11 PM Reply

83 medals 2 more gold we lead over china and far ahead in medal count

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread Aug. 9th, 2012 @ 01:28 PM Reply

At 8/9/12 01:02 PM, Otto wrote:
ad-free coverage:

I'm so jealous. I'm tired of damn McDonald's ads telling us Americans to cheer for our athletes so we can get free burgers.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA