00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CdmollerV1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

41,893 Views | 588 Replies

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 18:21:07

At 8/4/12 06:06 PM, liljim wrote:
At 8/4/12 05:47 PM, Dromedary wrote:
At 8/4/12 05:32 PM, CharltonChinchilla wrote: This is now a Jess Ennis appreciation thread, WE LOVE YOU JESS.
she should have sung the national anthem, i hate it so much when 'british' athletes don't
I'll be rooting for you winning gold in a discipline of your choice in Rio. I'll pay you 1 billion pounds when you win, but only on the understanding that you sing the anthem afterwards.

Seriously though, MOST athletes from ALL nations don't bother singing. She just looked to be holding back the tears to me.

And why would she? I'm all for Brits singing the anthem when they win but its not an issue if they don't (half the time just means they're not English when they don't). I prefer to see them fighting the urge to cry myself. Then you know it means something to them. Jessica Ennis was taking it all in, and listening to the crowd not sing the anthem but sing to her really. It was special.

Also to Sentio, good luck tomorrow with the nuptials. Good for you sir.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 18:59:06

HANDS IN THE AIR FOR GABBY DOUGLAS!!

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 19:16:02

At 8/4/12 06:18 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 8/4/12 06:06 PM, liljim wrote: I'll be rooting for you winning gold in a discipline of your choice in Rio. I'll pay you 1 billion pounds when you win, but only on the understanding that you sing the anthem afterwards.
At 8/4/12 05:58 PM, Otto wrote:
Are you saying she's not British? She's done more under their flag than you, that is certain.

And you're acting like what he said was petty? lel he's won just as many gold medals as either of you have. I know you'd like to think you're winners vicariously through her but how about you let her be the winner here considering she actually, you know, won something.

To whom are you addressing here? I wasn't the one criticising Ennis, I was merely pointing out to the camel who has the hump (Dromedary) that just because Ennis didn't sing the anthem, it doesn't make her any less British or any less of a winner and he shouldn't moan about it.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 19:40:41

At 8/4/12 06:06 PM, liljim wrote: Seriously though, MOST athletes from ALL nations don't bother singing. She just looked to be holding back the tears to me.

Exactly - athletes from footballing nations in particular should sing their National Anthem, as it is played before the fixture is played and therefore before anything is achieved. I imagine being capped at international or Olympic level is a massive achievement, but winning a gold medal would be seen as a greater achievement, so you're entitled to be choked up.

Six golds today - what a fantastic day for Team GB as a whole. Politically, I am not British, yet for this fortnight, I am a sporting Brit!

12 medals ahead of the Bejing pace, which we didn't reach until day 10. Not bad at all, for only 8 days of competition!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 22:27:27

To anyone interested, here are the designs of medals starting from 1896.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14291544

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 03:44:51

Nope, nothing super juiced up about this.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 06:19:06

I really don't get this talk about singin/not singing the anthem. In germany, there was some minor discussion, if players who DON'T sing the anthem before a match of the national team, should be excluded from the team. I mean, WTF? Everybody should do as they please. Some people sing the anthem: Ok, if they want to. Some people don't sing the anthem. So what? If they don't want to, then by all means, they shouldn't have to.

I know I wouldn't sing the anthem. Not because I don't know the lyrics (I know them), or anything like that, but because I don't like to sing. ^^

Anyway, I guess the crowd in the stadium really helps the british athletes. Mo had a pretty good race. He was very far away from the rest of the field during the race, so I was really surprised when he suddendly was in front again.

Also, silver medal for Lilli Schwarzkopf. YAY!
But no medals in discus throwing. Booo! :(

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 06:35:40

At 8/4/12 06:59 PM, naronic wrote: HANDS IN THE AIR FOR GABBY DOUGLAS!!

She's actually from the city where I live so she gets bonus points.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 06:35:56

Mara Yamamuchi is out of the womens marathon. So I guess this means, no medal for GB in this even. :/

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 10:20:45

Well will you look at that! China back to the top of the Medals ladder.

My prediction for today. Possibly 1 Gold Medal for Australia. But only 1. We don't want to overdo things.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 10:25:52

Russia is doing so bad this olympics

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:03:18

Once this is over, what are the chance that Federer will spend time listening to his Linkin Park records?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:04:06

At 8/5/12 10:43 AM, Otto wrote: All of Scotland's fans watching Andy Murray in the tennis

he's actually doing very well this year

He's doing amazing. Right now he's 2 sets up and 4-2 in the 3rd set. Don't stop now Andy.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:19:27

At 8/5/12 11:10 AM, Otto wrote:
At 8/5/12 11:04 AM, gamejunkie wrote: He's doing amazing. Right now he's 2 sets up and 4-2 in the 3rd set. Don't stop now Andy.
DON'T STOP, NOW.

Well it may not be a Slam but Andy Murray finally wins a substantial Tournament. Hoo-freaking-ray.

3 Cheers for ANDY! Hip Hip Hooray x 3.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:20:29

At 8/5/12 11:17 AM, Addict wrote: If you could have any other sport added to the current Olympics, what would it be?

Rugby Union.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:29:45

Federer was not on form. Gutted he didn't give his career deserving Gold medal for singles. His loss is our gain I guess but still.

And Louis Smith didn't get Gold for Pommel Horse! Silver and bronze is awesome for my new favourite sport but still, so close! Cruel way to lose gold when you finish on the same points. They should do a pommel horse stand off. Get two out and the last man swinging should win!

At 8/5/12 11:17 AM, Addict wrote: If you could have any other sport added to the current Olympics, what would it be?

Cricket.

Hear me out hear me out.

Not for Britain's sake (we're awful) just for India and Pakistan, etc. really. They don't seem to get many medal chances, and Cricket would really give those nations a real shot. Plus Cricket 20/20 can be quite entertaining, I imagine more so on an Olympic stage.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:32:09

Andy Murray confirmed as 100% British.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:45:59

At 8/5/12 11:29 AM, Gagsy wrote: Cricket.

Hear me out hear me out.

Not for Britain's sake (we're awful) just for India and Pakistan, etc. really. They don't seem to get many medal chances, and Cricket would really give those nations a real shot. Plus Cricket 20/20 can be quite entertaining, I imagine more so on an Olympic stage.

Hang on a minute, Pakistan and India have good medal chances in some of the Weight Lifting Divisions.

But regardless. You had me at Cricket. *giggle*

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 11:56:18

Also Tony hasn't updated his incredibly selective medal tracker to inform you all (needlessly I might add) that China are once again back in front on both Gold medals and total medals.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 12:03:55

At 8/5/12 11:29 AM, Gagsy wrote: Federer was not on form. Gutted he didn't give his career deserving Gold medal for singles. His loss is our gain I guess but still.

It was expected honestly, I predicted Federer was going to play a nervous as shit match. He needed a gold medal to complete a career golden slam and this was really his last chance to do it. It's hard to imagine him winning it in 4 years at age 34.

On the other hand, Murray appeared unnerved, that was expected as well being that he'll only choke in grand slam finals, and if he's playing any other match he'll be fine. Nonetheless I'm glad as hell Murray won, I gotta say I'm a huge fan of him.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 12:12:32

Some sport where the females where very little clothing, of course.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 12:15:06

Russian Roulette.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 12:16:31

At 8/5/12 12:03 PM, mothballs wrote:
It was expected honestly, I predicted Federer was going to play a nervous as shit match. He needed a gold medal to complete a career golden slam and this was really his last chance to do it. It's hard to imagine him winning it in 4 years at age 34.

Thats why I so wanted him to do it. All his achievements in tennis, he really deserved to get this finally. And yeah it is his last Olympics really, even if he tries in 4 years time, by that point I think its safe to say that he will be past it completely and so this was it. I am just gutted still that he couldn't perform like he does for slams.

On the other hand, Murray appeared unnerved, that was expected as well being that he'll only choke in grand slam finals, and if he's playing any other match he'll be fine. Nonetheless I'm glad as hell Murray won, I gotta say I'm a huge fan of him.

Well I'll be cheering him on for the mixed doubles. I'm not a big Murray fan, doubt I ever will be, but this years Wimbledon and today has really warmed me more to him. Surprised he actually sang the national anthem if I'm honest. Guess thats how emotional he was feeling and in tune with the crowd.

This could wonders to him next year at Wimbledon too because he's finally won something huge there. Even if the event is different, the venue is the same. I think by this time next year he'll have a slam to his name and I wouldn't be surprised if its the Wimbledon title.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 12:29:48

At 8/5/12 12:15 PM, Otto wrote: yeeuehhhh

No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush! No one can stop the gold rush!

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 12:37:37

At 8/5/12 12:12 PM, Haggard wrote:

There's no need to be greedy. We already have the Womens Beach Volleyball after all. Hell I thought some of those 'outfits' were just painted on.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 12:46:23

At 8/5/12 12:37 PM, gamejunkie wrote:
At 8/5/12 12:12 PM, Haggard wrote:
There's no need to be greedy. We already have the Womens Beach Volleyball after all. Hell I thought some of those 'outfits' were just painted on.

The runners are very generous as well (surprisingly, nobody called the running sport to be "sexist", yet everyone complains about beach volleyball?). But: There can never be "too many" half nude, well-toned women. ;)

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 13:20:34

Play like that in a Grand Slam arena in the future, Murray.

Great game for him, Federer just didn't have it in him. Now watching lovely, lovely Robson...

shut up, she's 18.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 13:25:03

Nation of the Olympics?
(besides Team GB obviously)

Kazakhstan.

They're like;

Medals? We only do Gold. Everything else worthless.

BBS Signature

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 14:11:31

At 8/5/12 11:29 AM, Gagsy wrote: Federer was not on form.

He played his semi-finals on Friday earlier in the day than Murray. He then had a day off yesterday, whereas Murray played mixed doubles semi-finals with Laura Robson who both won.

Murray then obliterated Federer today.

Murray and Robson then went on to take the first set comfortably in the semi-finals just an hour or so after Murray's 3 set winner against Federer in the final, before losing to Belarus (which is understandable, as the pair were the underdogs from the start and Belarus were seeded first).

Give the man the credit he deserves.

Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-05 14:18:20

At 8/5/12 02:11 PM, liljim wrote: Murray and Robson then went on to take the first set comfortably in the semi-finals

Oops, finals.