Be a Supporter!

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

  • 23,445 Views
  • 642 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 14:39:33 Reply

I didn't want to like Missy Franklin to begin with but what a genuine person she is and so grateful to everything and everyone. Fantastic lady right there. Worthy winner.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 14:57:06 Reply

Shit, Fuck and Damn!! Australia can't even buy a Fucking Gold Medal!

What the fuck was Anna Meares thinking when she took off 1.5 laps too early? I know! 5th sounds good. Australia will forever remember these Olympic Games as The Disappointing Olympics.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 15:38:33 Reply

Murray V Federer in the gold medal match at Wimbledon. Team GB will really enjoy that silver medal.


#coys

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 15:42:16 Reply

At 8/3/12 03:38 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: Murray V Federer in the gold medal match at Wimbledon. Team GB will really enjoy that silver medal.

LOL! You never know, miracles have been known to happen.

Just kidding!

At least it's another Silver Medal.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 15:47:34 Reply

At 8/3/12 03:38 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: Murray V Federer in the gold medal match at Wimbledon. Team GB will really enjoy that silver medal.

Too bad the only person who could beat Federer decided not to play this game.


Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 15:49:13 Reply

At 8/3/12 03:38 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: Murray V Federer in the gold medal match at Wimbledon. Team GB will really enjoy that silver medal.

Realistically this is Federer's last real chance of a Gold in singles, which considering his career I think he thoroughly deserves by now, to complete the set.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 16:30:00 Reply

Yes most of you will say this was inevitable, but The United States of America now lead the Medal Tally as well as now having more Gold Medals than China team. Can you hang on to that lead though?

PWJP
PWJP
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 16:42:57 Reply

Brazil's woman's football lost on the QF to Japan and Cielo got a measly bronze on his forté category (50m freestyle), when he decided not to participate in like 3 other categories where we probably would have won something if he was there just he could save himself for that.

:areyoufuckingkiddingme.jpg;

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 16:50:33 Reply

At 8/3/12 04:30 PM, gamejunkie wrote: Yes most of you will say this was inevitable, but The United States of America now lead the Medal Tally as well as now having more Gold Medals than China team. Can you hang on to that lead though?

Well.. China aren't exactly going to gain much in track and field right?


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 16:58:29 Reply

At 8/3/12 04:50 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 8/3/12 04:30 PM, gamejunkie wrote: Yes most of you will say this was inevitable, but The United States of America now lead the Medal Tally as well as now having more Gold Medals than China team. Can you hang on to that lead though?
Well.. China aren't exactly going to gain much in track and field right?

Well I've heard it mentioned that Shit Happens and Miracles Occur. So all I'm saying is 'stranger things have happened'.

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 18:11:27 Reply

who ended up winning the mens 85kg? i saw up until that big asian dude didnt qualify then i had to go.


None

Luis
Luis
  • Member since: Apr. 23, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 18:11:42 Reply

At 8/3/12 06:11 PM, Luis wrote: who ended up winning the mens 85kg? i saw up until that big asian dude didnt qualify then i had to go.

weightlifting


None

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 20:44:53 Reply

At 8/3/12 04:58 PM, gamejunkie wrote:
At 8/3/12 04:50 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 8/3/12 04:30 PM, gamejunkie wrote: Yes most of you will say this was inevitable, but The United States of America now lead the Medal Tally as well as now having more Gold Medals than China team. Can you hang on to that lead though?
Well.. China aren't exactly going to gain much in track and field right?
Well I've heard it mentioned that Shit Happens and Miracles Occur. So all I'm saying is 'stranger things have happened'.

They're not even competing in the majority of Track and Field events

You can't win when you don't compete

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-03 21:46:54 Reply

Gold medal for U.S. youngest Olympian for this year.


Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
FatBadger
FatBadger
  • Member since: Mar. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 47
Filmmaker
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 03:22:44 Reply

Gold medal


BBS Signature
Sentio
Sentio
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 05:46:16 Reply

At 8/3/12 12:56 PM, gamejunkie wrote:
At 8/3/12 12:33 PM, Sentio wrote: Dragging this comment back up...
Knew you would sooner or later.

Pretty dominant if you ask me!
Did you miss my last post? I think you did. May you should go read that. Then this post will make more sense.

Go Aussie Go!

HAHAHAHAHAHALOLOLOL. NO!
Also I'm British BTW! Born and bred in Colchester.

You know I thought you were a Brit, but you confused me with your pro Aussie comments that no Brit would ever utter! And I agree that the Aussies were dominant in track cycling, but there is no doubt who rules the velodrome now, and the new rules have been brought in since British dominance. Lame that Chris Hoy can't even defend his title!

Final cycling event is a new one called the omnium (6 events scored a little like heptathlon). No idea who is up for that, but I guess we'll have someone there or thereabouts.

Could be a massive gold rush today:

Ennis in heptathlon
Farah in 10,000m
Two rowing finals with favourites and defending champs
Two cycling finals with favourites
Murray in tennis
Jenkins in triathlon...

Could be a big, big day....


Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
Coop
Coop
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 59
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 06:24:36 Reply

At 8/4/12 05:46 AM, Sentio wrote: Could be a massive gold rush today:

Ennis in heptathlon
Farah in 10,000m
Two rowing finals with favourites and defending champs
Two cycling finals with favourites
Murray in tennis
Jenkins in triathlon...

Well, Jenkins finished 5th, as there was a photo between Spirig of Suitzerland and Norden of Sweden for the Gold Medal. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Andy Murray won't win Gold, but the others look good. Jessica Ennis is starting to turn up the pressure on her opponents now, with a little over 2 events remaining and the pressure getting to Austra Skujyte at the moment...

Don't get me wrong about Murray though, I really want to see British Medals and Gold ones at that.


Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 06:42:31 Reply

Shame about Jenkins, but one gold down now for today.

I really want Jessica Ennis to win out of everyone else. She is all kinds of wonderful.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 06:46:55 Reply

USA: 43

21 gold
10 Silver
12 bronze

right now its a serious battle between us and china.

Sentio
Sentio
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Writer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 07:07:27 Reply

At 8/4/12 06:24 AM, Coop wrote:
At 8/4/12 05:46 AM, Sentio wrote: Could be a massive gold rush today:

Ennis in heptathlon
Farah in 10,000m
Two rowing finals with favourites and defending champs
Two cycling finals with favourites
Murray in tennis
Jenkins in triathlon...
Well, Jenkins finished 5th, as there was a photo between Spirig of Suitzerland and Norden of Sweden for the Gold Medal. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Andy Murray won't win Gold, but the others look good. Jessica Ennis is starting to turn up the pressure on her opponents now, with a little over 2 events remaining and the pressure getting to Austra Skujyte at the moment...

Don't get me wrong about Murray though, I really want to see British Medals and Gold ones at that.

Shame about Jenkins, but a good effort. Two golds in the rowing have made up for that though, and we are now third in the medals table!!

I don't think Murray will win either, but then I would never have predicted him to win yesterday! I think he is thriving in the slightly different atmosphere of the Olympics, and without the full force of media attention solely on him. And for once he is playing Federer when both are under equal pressure, as Federer has never won Olympics singles gold either.

At 8/4/12 06:42 AM, Gagsy wrote: Shame about Jenkins, but one gold down now for today.

I really want Jessica Ennis to win out of everyone else. She is all kinds of wonderful.

Agreed, though I feel the same about Mo Farah as well- he deserves success on the big stage today. Looks like Ennis is in a very strong position now with two to go, and she is strong in the last event.


Buy the Newgrounds Writing Anthology
Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 07:40:42 Reply

The Americans are so good at swimming that it should be illegal.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 07:55:29 Reply

At 8/3/12 08:44 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
You can't win when you don't compete

Dang. Gobble sounds like one of those dumb inspirational posters that I'd see in my guidance counselor's office in high school. Lame.


Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Gamer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 08:45:08 Reply

My prediction for the day.

NO GOLD MEDALS for Australia.

AGAIN!

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 09:10:11 Reply

WOOO tennis fun...

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 09:13:10 Reply

oooh womans fencing america VS italy

thats better.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 09:14:38 Reply

This is pretty interesting.

I would like to see other target medal tables for other nations but a quick look on wiki with USA's page on the Olympics showed none, so maybe it was just Great Britain who released their own medal targets. Gutted, wanted to know what the Us were aiming for swimming.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 09:22:20 Reply

and america goes to the medal rounds for Female Fencing!

Elfer
Elfer
  • Member since: Jan. 21, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 09:30:02 Reply

I'm 99% sure I heard a BBC athletics commentator use the phrase "streets ahead" during the heptathlon coverage this morning (or I guess if you're in the UK, this early afternoon).

And if you don't know why that's funny, I'm afraid you're already streets behind

2012 Olympics Discussion Thread

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 53
Audiophile
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 09:37:10 Reply

At 8/4/12 09:30 AM, Elfer wrote: I'm 99% sure I heard a BBC athletics commentator use the phrase "streets ahead" during the heptathlon coverage this morning (or I guess if you're in the UK, this early afternoon).

And if you don't know why that's funny, I'm afraid you're already streets behind

Unrelated but I work in a cab office and the other week one of the old drivers I get on with was complimenting me about being one of the better workers in the office and he said to me "You're street ahead" and I so wanted to ask him if he watched Community but I doubt he did but I was completely in awe at how he used that phrase with me.

I want to rewatch that heptathlon event now just to see if I can catch that.


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to 2012 Olympics Discussion Thread 2012-08-04 09:41:29 Reply

I wish they would put gladiator fights in make it a little more interesting.