Be a Supporter!

Was Bioshock treated unfair?

  • 900 Views
  • 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-22 16:28:07 Reply

Do you think it wasn't right for people to compare the game to System Shock 2? Should it have been looked at by it's own meritts?

Ok, yes, Atlus Shrugges adaptation, but I don't know any games like it. It was it's own world where you could learn alot from it, learn alot about people, about yourself.

But this idea wasn't really recieved by everyone, most thought of it as a System Shock 2 ripoff just underwater. It had similarities, but do you think Bioshock is it's own game?

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-22 16:31:11 Reply

Bioshock had an interesting FPS/ horror concept. I think it's unique enough to stand out as it's own game. Despite never hearing of System Shock 2.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
desert116
desert116
  • Member since: Oct. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-22 16:36:45 Reply

At 5/22/12 04:28 PM, unconsidered wrote: do you think Bioshock is it's own game?

No, it's obviously an expansion pack Mario Kart.


( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature
hitman1993
hitman1993
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-22 16:39:58 Reply

Anytime someone calls a game a rip off of another game, I rage. It's called influence, not ripping off, dumbasses.


BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-22 17:17:52 Reply

It's not really a rip-off if the same guy worked on both games. I never really got into Bioshock, although I'm a big fan of the System Shock series.

OwnageGiy223
OwnageGiy223
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-22 19:43:15 Reply

Never played System Shock, but I loved Bioshock to death.

Jester
Jester
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-22 22:18:08 Reply

At 5/22/12 04:28 PM, unconsidered wrote:
But this idea wasn't really recieved by everyone, most thought of it as a System Shock 2 ripoff just underwater. It had similarities, but do you think Bioshock is it's own game?

I don't even know what System Shock is but since i'm not hearing about it until just now, and since the Bioshock games have done so well, clearly saying that most people didn't like Bioshock because they thought it was a ripoff is a generalization.

Klik
Klik
  • Member since: Jul. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Audiophile
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 01:01:17 Reply

At 5/22/12 04:31 PM, II2none wrote: Despite never hearing of System Shock 2.

How do you sleep at night knowing you're not a real gamer?

Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Member since: Apr. 13, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 01:09:52 Reply

Wasn't the guy who was the lead on Bioshock the the same guy who did System Shock 2? And didn't he consider it a sort of spiritual successor to the System Shock games? Sounds pretty reasonable to draw conclusions between the two.

Yeah to a certain extent games should be judged on their own merits but it's not unwarranted to examine them in terms of the games that inspired them and the divergent directions they take.


Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Eddmario
Eddmario
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 12:14:25 Reply

Wasn't it originally gonna be part of the System Shock series?


Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7832-9212 | Gamertag: Eddmario
Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 13:10:51 Reply

Bioshock is the spiritual successor to System Shock 2 and all similarities are were definitely intended. The gameplay in general felt like a downgrade though.


"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 13:20:04 Reply

At 5/23/12 01:01 AM, Klik wrote:
At 5/22/12 04:31 PM, II2none wrote: Despite never hearing of System Shock 2.
How do you sleep at night knowing you're not a real gamer?

Because Sonic

Because Ape escape

Because Spyro

Because Tekken

Because dead or alive

Because House of the dead

Because PC is overrated


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
Oliver
Oliver
  • Member since: Sep. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 13:35:24 Reply

At 5/23/12 01:20 PM, II2none wrote:
Because Sonic

Because Ape escape

Because Spyro

Because Tekken

Because dead or alive

Because House of the dead

Because PC is overrated

Oh I get it you're trying to troll everyone. How cute.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 14:16:10 Reply

At 5/23/12 01:20 PM, II2none wrote:
Because PC is overrated

Saying PC is overrated on a PC?

Where are you facts?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 15:52:33 Reply

i played bio and saw system gameplays....
now, system is an "old" game, and if graphics aren`t all, after getting used to new graphics, that can get distracting and be an issue while playing old games, not so much in strategy game, but a real problem in shooters and rol

so maybe i would have enjoyed system if i had played it long ago, but now......... so the comparation is a little unfair


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 23:02:18 Reply

At 5/23/12 01:35 PM, Oliver wrote:

Oh I get it you're trying to troll everyone. How cute.

No...those were a mentioning of games around System Shock 2's release being the reason why I never heard/ care about the franchise. Plus I was like freakin 7 when this game came out.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 23:06:43 Reply

At 5/23/12 02:16 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Saying PC is overrated on a PC?
Where are you facts?

It wouldn't be a fact it would mostly be a matter of opinion. No PC exclusive game has ever interested me and also most PC users here only brag about how the graphics are flawless. So yeah, overrated.


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 23:23:12 Reply

At 5/23/12 11:06 PM, II2none wrote:
At 5/23/12 02:16 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Saying PC is overrated on a PC?
Where are you facts?
It wouldn't be a fact it would mostly be a matter of opinion. No PC exclusive game has ever interested me and also most PC users here only brag about how the graphics are flawless. So yeah, overrated.

nooo kid, listen, pc has the most veriety of games (including most games for consoles) (and emulators), has the best graphics (due you can upgrade you pc), and can also be used to no-gaming related stuff
pcs are the opposite to an ipad, neat and useful


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

II2none
II2none
  • Member since: Jul. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 23:28:14 Reply

At 5/23/12 11:23 PM, kakalxlax wrote:
At 5/23/12 11:06 PM, II2none wrote:
At 5/23/12 02:16 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Saying PC is overrated on a PC?
Where are you facts?
It wouldn't be a fact it would mostly be a matter of opinion. No PC exclusive game has ever interested me and also most PC users here only brag about how the graphics are flawless. So yeah, overrated.
nooo kid, listen, pc has the most veriety of games (including most games for consoles) (and emulators), has the best graphics (due you can upgrade you pc), and can also be used to no-gaming related stuff
pcs are the opposite to an ipad, neat and useful

Well yeah it's certainly the most versatile but is upgrading game graphic cards and crap pretty pricy, including making sure your PC meets the requirements without having to buy a new one?


QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-23 23:53:02 Reply

At 5/23/12 11:28 PM, II2none wrote:

Well yeah it's certainly the most versatile but is upgrading game graphic cards and crap pretty pricy, including making sure your PC meets the requirements without having to buy a new one?

but it`s worth it, people with consoles have also usually a pc, you dont need to buy a pc each time a new game comes out, build yourself a decent pc and it will last you years, even if you cant run the newest game with ultra-high graphics, you can run them with high-med-low, but you can`t run a ps3 game on a ps2, and even so, you`ll just need to change a few components insted of buying a new one


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Member since: Jul. 7, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-05-24 00:44:33 Reply

They took some elements from System Shock, but they shouldn't hate on Bioshock. They were different in many ways and Bioshock was a pretty good game. Drawing inspiration and copying a few things isn't always bad.


For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Pixar9000
Pixar9000
  • Member since: Oct. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-05 06:13:49 Reply

I Absolutely Loved Bioshock To Death But I Have Never Heard Of System Shock In My Life And Watch This http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation /4-BioShock

TrantaLocked
TrantaLocked
  • Member since: May. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-05 07:10:01 Reply

I don't really understand your position, but Bioshock was well received and is an amazing game. Not much more needed to think about. I played a bit of System Shock 2, and while some of the RPG and UI elements are similar, BioShock is entirely different in terms of design and atmosphere.


BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-05 09:20:43 Reply

At 12/5/12 06:13 AM, Pixar9000 wrote: I Absolutely Loved Bioshock To Death But I Have Never Heard Of System Shock In My Life

Of all the threads you could've bumped. Why.

I think it's unique enough to stand out as it's own game.
Despite never hearing of System Shock 2.
It's called influence, not ripping off, dumbasses.
I don't even know what System Shock is
Never played System Shock, but

I hate all of you.


"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-05 14:06:26 Reply

At 5/22/12 04:28 PM, unconsidered wrote: Do you think it wasn't right for people to compare the game to System Shock 2? Should it have been looked at by it's own meritts?

those games are really different, the only reason for an asshole to say they are similar is because they both have "shock" on their name.
really, those games play very different


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

IronicMaiden
IronicMaiden
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-06 17:05:20 Reply

I've never played System Shock, either of them, but I have heard of the comparison. Bioshock was a captivating and fun game. It created an entire world to explore, with an intense back story told bit by bit by audio diaries. Not to mention the story of Jack, Atlas, and Andrew Ryan which is just stunning, thought provoking and all around incredible.

Bioshock is such a good game that I honestly don't care if it "ripped off" System Shock. It's only when a game takes something from another and does it badly that I get upset.

kiskaman
kiskaman
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-06 21:14:42 Reply

I don't think bioshock was a rip off of anything. in fact, it was one of the best and 2nd most unique game I've ever played. (first being morrowind)

Crazywill
Crazywill
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-06 21:52:29 Reply

I thought all games were judged by their own merits. I mean, I know that when you have sequels you expect certain things from a series, but if the game wasn't by the same team of people, didn't come from the same series and didn't have any relation whatsoever, it should be judged by it's own merits then.


The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

OwnageGiy223
OwnageGiy223
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-08 16:59:25 Reply

Nerds like comparing old games that nobody cares about to newer games. They can't tell the difference between nostalgia and quality. I've never played system shock, I'm never going to, and I don't care how similar the two games are; Bioshock is one of my favorite franchises, and it's going to be for some time to come.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Was Bioshock treated unfair? 2012-12-08 18:57:39 Reply

At 12/8/12 04:59 PM, OwnageGiy223 wrote: I've never played system shock, I'm never going to, and I don't care how similar the two games are; Bioshock is one of my favorite franchises, and it's going to be for some time to come.

Absolute logic right here. System Shock is literally the same game in a different (arguably cooler) setting and with an actual inventory instead of being forced to use everything instantly. Refusing to play a game you extremely likely to enjoy just because it's old is far worse than nostalgia.


"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature