Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
What FPS games are missing May. 18th, 2012 @ 10:57 PM Reply

Look to your left, look to your right. What do you see? Unless I am just a mutant of some kind you will see your shoulders, why when characters look around in FPS games do they never see any part of their body besides their hands. When they look around they should really see other parts of their bodies.

There may be some that do show shoulders and the like when you look around, and would like to see pictures of such things, but most don't show a single thing other than their hands and the end of their arms, or their legs if they kick something. What are they a disembodied head / hands / feet thing?

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Klobb17
Klobb17
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 18th, 2012 @ 11:53 PM Reply

I want to say that's because in most games they turn with their body in-game, not their head. You are right though, I can't think of many first person games where your shoulders, among other body parts, exist (One of which is ARMA 2, that I know). Most likely reason is, as a developer might put it, "We don't need it, we can put something else in that's of better use" or some bull like that.

123mine123
123mine123
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 12:06 AM Reply

Believe me, I have thought about this too many times before.
It would be pretty cool if they made an FPS game where you can the other body parts and not just the hands.
Well at least in some games lige dead island and the 1st left4dead, you can see their feet.

HaDouKeN!!! >:D | O_O! I'm scared... | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH! | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D
My Deviant

BBS Signature
Kman
Kman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 12:45 AM Reply

Legs, the only game i know of that you can see your legs is Halo. What the fuck is with that? I feel like a floating head with arms.

Steam: Kman
Sig by YenMuffin
"Women these days don't appreciate a gentleman, or chivalry, and they're especially not deserving of it."

BBS Signature
EtchASketchClock
EtchASketchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 5/19/12 12:45 AM, kman355 wrote: I feel like a floating head with arms.

In Halo you are two floating arms with legs.
No need to render everything for a first person model.

I'm all for more legs, though.

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature
GlobalWARMING1
GlobalWARMING1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 01:10 PM Reply

At 5/19/12 01:09 AM, EtchASketchClock wrote:
At 5/19/12 12:45 AM, kman355 wrote: I feel like a floating head with arms.
In Halo you are two floating arms with legs.
No need to render everything for a first person model.

I'm all for more legs, though.

originally i thought you couldnt see your shoulders because in FPS they're always holding guns but even while holding guns if you turn you can see your shoulders it would be pretty cool if you could see your legs and shoulders

IrishGun
IrishGun
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Movie Buff
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 01:25 PM Reply

When you look down in The Darkness, you can see your entire body and you can actually see your reflection in water as well.

#sweg
#huzzledongs
#sweg

BBS Signature
II2none
II2none
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 01:32 PM Reply

Because that's distracting, imagine seeing a bit of your own face, nose, mouth and forehead while trying to shoot down enemies all it does is take up visual screen space. However seeing your body from the chest down would be cool,

QOTW:
"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr
How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature
dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 02:01 PM Reply

I was thinking about this yesterday, and then I thought about how it wouldn't be a great idea if someone made a game with a female protagonist with big tits, since you wouldn't be able to see much of the screen if you looked down slightly.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 02:05 PM Reply

I'm going to guess because it's ultimately pointless, sure it makes it more realistic but it doesn't make the game any funner and only makes the developers waste more time on some simple aesthetic that doesn't influence gameplay too much.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 05:48 PM Reply

This is aesthetic at best.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 06:04 PM Reply

ArmA 2 has a free look feature that let's you look left and right, it's really nice imo but not really necessary for all FPS.

thekiwi
thekiwi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 06:14 PM Reply

It would be cool for some kind of survival game. So when you get shot in say your chest you can look down to it and interact with it like to remove the bullet.

So bottom line I only recomend it in immersive games :P

Subscribe the piss out of me. Youtube

Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 19th, 2012 @ 08:46 PM Reply

At 5/19/12 12:45 AM, kman355 wrote: Legs, the only game i know of that you can see your legs is Halo...

And even still, if you look down while you walk, you'll see more than just your legs. You should see your entire lower body when you look down in an FPS.

My guess is they don't do that because it would be difficult/pointless to attach the camera to the character's head without the perspective looking even weirder. I'm having a hard time describing it, but pretend to be aiming a gun. Stretch your arms all the way out as if you were actually shooting something. Imagine playing an FPS in that point of view. Seems odd, right?

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 20th, 2012 @ 10:29 PM Reply

At 5/18/12 10:57 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Look to your left, look to your right. What do you see? Unless I am just a mutant of some kind you will see your shoulders, why when characters look around in FPS games do they never see any part of their body besides their hands. When they look around they should really see other parts of their bodies.

There may be some that do show shoulders and the like when you look around, and would like to see pictures of such things, but most don't show a single thing other than their hands and the end of their arms, or their legs if they kick something. What are they a disembodied head / hands / feet thing?

In Halo 3 you can see Master Chief's legs when you look down or look down and crouch. Also you see your own shadow in Halo 3. Maybe the games run a little better when they don't have models for anything other the arm and weapon and there is no shadow for the person you are playing as or maybe it's easier. I don't know.

fawnret
fawnret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:26 AM Reply

I don't mind having no shoulders visible. It really doesn't bug me too much. In fps you move your head and gun and all that together so you're always aiming where you're looking anyway. What bugs me more is feet. I like seeing legs and such under me in games like halo and crysis. It always makes me feel like a floating camera with arms whenever I look down otherwise. It's a small thing and I don't mind too much, but it's still a nice feature and makes me feel like my feet are actually on the ground

Gamertag: Catspirit123
home forum

BBS Signature
TruBluFoxx
TruBluFoxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:10 AM Reply

At 5/19/12 02:01 PM, dogpup4 wrote: I was thinking about this yesterday, and then I thought about how it wouldn't be a great idea if someone made a game with a female protagonist with big tits, since you wouldn't be able to see much of the screen if you looked down slightly.

There's a bf3 mission where you place a chick, and can look down....damn flightsuit looks restrictive.

Again, bf3, you can see your legs, and most of your body.

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 22nd, 2012 @ 11:51 AM Reply

At 5/19/12 02:01 PM, dogpup4 wrote: I was thinking about this yesterday, and then I thought about how it wouldn't be a great idea if someone made a game with a female protagonist with big tits, since you wouldn't be able to see much of the screen if you looked down slightly.

It was done back in 1998, and it looked terrible

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 24th, 2012 @ 11:01 AM Reply

Recently saw a video for Dead Island, they tried to add legs.....tried being the main word.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to What FPS games are missing May. 24th, 2012 @ 12:19 PM Reply

Full-body turning, yo.

Also, in my FPS games I play, the entire arms are there.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to What FPS games are missing Jul. 20th, 2012 @ 11:23 PM Reply

I just got Left 4 Dead and I noticed that when you look down, you can see their legs.

Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to What FPS games are missing Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 01:11 AM Reply

Well, I've played plenty of FPS games where you can see legs, reflections, stuff like that. They're really limited by the whole First Person thing. Third Person Shooters are out there if you're into seeing your character.

Dora Revolution | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to What FPS games are missing Jul. 21st, 2012 @ 12:46 PM Reply

Mostly when you look around in FPS's you turn as well, so if you never stopped turning you'd never see your shoulders.

To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature