New Topic Respond to this Topic
blazedhedghg743
blazedhedghg743
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:43 PM Reply

Listen, this is not a diss thing, it's actually more of a question or debate in some ways. But I'm wondering, why do people actually choose to live in Southern California?

There are many nice areas of Southern California, but these nice areas are too overpopulated with materialistic, snooty, stingy people, and yes, these types of people exist all across the globe, but due to the movie industry and entertainment and media industry being located within Los Angeles County, many of the people who reside in L.A. and Orange County areas tend to have this kind of attitude, revolved around materialism. I really am not fond of it.

The air pollution is the worst in the United States. You can't even SEE the air.

The traffic is the worst in the country, hands down. There is no efficient metro system and the trains only go to a very limited amount of places, and very few people actually use them. The bus system is among the most poorly organized in the country, and some people I know who resided in Los Angeles almost vomited after seeing how bad the public transportation system is in L.A.

There is no major skyline or major city feel within the city. Unlike New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver, and other major cities in North America, Los Angeles lacks a dense downtown. Few people actually walk around it and there's only a few tall buildings, and it's just not impressive to see in comparison to other major North American cities. The whole city is very suburban and there aren't any row houses like there are in NYC or Chicago, or SF, or any other city in North America. Toronto, now that's a city with a decent urban atmosphere!

Not many people speak English. No I mean, not many can speak English at all. Los Angeles is believed to have the highest ratio of illegal immigrants of any metropolitan area of the United States. My mother is an immigrant and came to the country the actually real difficult way.

Lack of middle class. While a problem in many major cities all around the world, Los Angeles lacks a middle class community. Go to East Los Angeles, South Los Angeles, Crenshaw, Watts, Compton, and even parts of West Los Angeles, and North L.A. like Van Nuys, and you will see mostly impoverished areas that are extremely depressing. Middle class? Hardly any, and they mostly exist on the eastside of Los Angeles County, but it's an area where the smog gets trapped in and it's so disgusting! Of course, many uber rich people residing on the hillsides of SoCal, including Orange County.

The materialism. Already explained it, but you really should not fixate on just the kind of car you drive or what you wear every freakin' day! I mean, I'd love a Bentley with chrome rims as much as the next homie, but you do not NEED it. Being around the entertainment industry this really gets through your head.

It's expensive. The houses even in low income communities like Compton and Inglewood might sometimes cost $500,000, and it's not really worth it for a crappy home in a gang infested area. All the food is expensive, the gas, it's the most overpriced in the United States! EW!

Gang capital of the U.S. Need I say more? Birthplace of the Crips, Bloods, Surenos, various Mexican American street gangs, MS-13, Asian Boyz, and Polynesian street gangs. The percentage of teens that walk around with guns in what look more like middle class areas with nice palm trees... is sickening. Why would you want to shoot your best friend over him stealing your Snickers bar in the middle of January when it's 75 F outside when you could be out skateboarding or surfing at Venice Beach, while the rest of the country is freezing and shoveling snow and having to stay inside all day and waiting for it to turn springtime. Talk about being a spoiled brat much?

Segregation. It's a very segregated part of the U.S. People of their own race primarily live with each other. Rich Asians live with rich Asians, poor African Americans live with poor African Americans, rich white people live with rich white people, and of course... working class Latinos live with working class Latinos. East Los Angeles is a community encompassing 1,000,000 residents and it's 97% Latino. That's super segregation.

It's an ugly city itself, with beautiful surroundings. Many of the mountains surrounding L.A. is beautiful, but the city itself is so grey and ugly, no offense. All the houses are built in the early 20th century and remodeled explicitly but not in the good way. The beaches tend to be really polluted, but San Diego is two hours away and offers much nice scenery and beaches. I'm not going to lie, the LA area has more beautiful scenery than say, Dallas or Houston.

You want a good city on the west coast to live? SEATTLE. PORTLAND. San Francisco is a great city to visit but not a great place to live unless you are willing to pay a lot for living in a tiny area, just like in New York, and it's rated the most family unfriendly city in America. SF is a good city, but Seattle and Portland are also great alternatives.

Also, not west coast, but western USA: Denver/Boulder, Colorado. Great place to raise kids, beautiful scenery, snow, and very diverse!

"When I grow up I want to be Wade Fulp's second wife." - Me.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:47 PM Reply

There are worse places. And many people don't wanna leave their family.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
AlphaCentauri
AlphaCentauri
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Movie Buff
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:48 PM Reply

Whatever happend to eddy?

You have to know your name.
LOOP
One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature
blazedhedghg743
blazedhedghg743
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:49 PM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:48 PM, AlphaCentauri wrote: Whatever happend to eddy?

Tim? He hates SoCal too. What about him?

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:50 PM Reply

Summer all year round is good enough reason for me if I were an American.

blazedhedghg743
blazedhedghg743
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:52 PM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:50 PM, Painbringer wrote: Summer all year round is good enough reason for me if I were an American.

Yeah if you like smoggy hot air all year round sounds great to me.

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:52 PM Reply

BAYLIFE. That's why.

|XBL Gamertag: ShadowboltRD | Bronies before Hoenies| YenMuffin made my sig

BBS Signature
blazedhedghg743
blazedhedghg743
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:57 PM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:56 PM, Zullzee wrote:
At 5/17/12 07:53 PM, Zullzee wrote: Some people need to live there because they work in the movie industry. And yeah the problems you said about Los Angeles are true, this city looks like garbage, there aren't that many high rise buildings and it's very polluted.
And there's literally ALWAYS a black guy being arrested every minute. I'm serious, every time I go out with my friends and we drive through LA we always see a black guy getting arrest every few blocks.

Where do you live? But yeah, LA has a reputation of being a very racist city. I heard that in East Los Angeles, which is obviously entirely Hispanic, if you're black and drive there or walk there, you will get killed or at risk of being killed.

The Bay Area is SO much better in terms of racial tolerance.

BBS Signature
All-American-Badass
All-American-Badass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 08:02 PM Reply

Because either those people like being around pricks, or they ignore the shittiness of the people there and enjoy the scenery there. LA and San Diego are way way more scenic than the bay area.

Mfan
Mfan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:48 PM, AlphaCentauri wrote: Whatever happend to eddy?

everybody got sick of his California threads , so everyone chipped in some money to hire a hitman

Republican

IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 08:04 PM Reply

SoCal sucks.

Well... um.. except for... wait, no. It sucks.
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 08:07 PM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:52 PM, blazedhedghg743 wrote: Yeah if you like smoggy hot air all year round sounds great to me.

Not if I'm near the coast or in some remote town. Right?

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 08:12 PM Reply

Well first of all I'm not used to rural areas, in fact I tend to get depressed when im in an area that hasn't been touched with technology, which is almost every non-urban area.
Most of Socal is actually very nice, only L.A. and Fontana suck shit. Redlands is a nice place, everything is green and there's a minimal amount of abandoned buildings. And if anything, there's alot more hipsters, nerds and artsy types than there are ghetto kids.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 09:59 PM Reply

Because it's the hub of automotive culture in the US?

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 17th, 2012 @ 10:54 PM Reply

If it was up to me, I wouldn't even be in this country. SoCal is decent, but too dirty. Hollywood image. At least there are plenty of concerts happening in LA 3 hours away.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
killaforreala
killaforreala
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 18th, 2012 @ 12:22 AM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:52 PM, blazedhedghg743 wrote:
At 5/17/12 07:50 PM, Painbringer wrote: Summer all year round is good enough reason for me if I were an American.
Yeah if you like smoggy hot air all year round sounds great to me.

I live in Socal and that is frankly a load of bullshit.
Not much pollution here in Ontario California.

On no a bear!

BBS Signature
Itachi888Uchiha
Itachi888Uchiha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Gamer
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 18th, 2012 @ 12:37 AM Reply

Los Angeles has one of the few arcade scenes in the country :P
Really though, there are really only 3 cities in the US that I think are S tier...Chicago, LA, and NYC. So it's like...why WOULDN'T you choose to live in a S-tier city.

BBS Signature
Joel-Gruesome
Joel-Gruesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 18th, 2012 @ 04:59 AM Reply

Why is the sky blue?

Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 18th, 2012 @ 10:56 AM Reply

let's see...

1. excellent weather
2. beaches, bitches, and brews
3. mountains if you feel like snowboarding/skiing
4. tons of shit to do

IAmCrystalHeights
IAmCrystalHeights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Why Do People Live In Socal May. 18th, 2012 @ 03:14 PM Reply

At 5/18/12 10:56 AM, Rallard wrote: let's see...

1. excellent weather
2. beaches, bitches, and brews
3. mountains if you feel like snowboarding/skiing
4. tons of shit to do

1. True, but the weather is more varied up north. Constant sunny weather gets boring. Ntm, there's a lot of June Gloom and May Grey there.
2. Okay fine, you guys have better beaches. But why does the bitches thing matter. Everywhere has bitches. Everywhere has beer.
3. I think up north as better snowboarding/skiing, here in NorCal, but even better in Oregon and Washington.
4. I'm not going to lie, there's more things to do down there, and there aren't too many things to do in say, Oregon, but Oregon is a great place to live, and one of the best places to raise a family in America. Oregon is a great state, along side with Washington state, namely the Seattle area. Many things to do in Seattle.