New Topic Respond to this Topic
spraycan74
spraycan74
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 16th, 2012 @ 04:08 PM Reply

Okay I guess I suck at animation from the work that I've submitted in through the last few days. I have a lot of creative ideas buzzing through my head but most of my ideas seem to just FAIL when I put them in animation form because a lot of them are slow, make little since to viewers, and they're not tweaked or polished enough. But I spend SOOOOO much time animating but I usually get very little positive results done.

So what are your easy steps to animating animations FAST?

Do you map out a storyboard first? Like do you get out a sketchpad and sketch the ideas first and THEN write out a script?

What are some of your secrets that you can share? ;O

zachdyer
zachdyer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 16th, 2012 @ 04:40 PM Reply

I would say through repetition. Doing the same thing over and over. Getting use to the tools. Getting used to drawing. Working on a familiar environment.

ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 18th, 2012 @ 12:11 AM Reply

I come up with a rough "script" first. It's actually just some details written down on post-it notes. Since the content here is mostly short animations, I don't really see the need for coming up with a complete script unless there is a lot of dialogue. After that, I'll storyboard the whole animation. The storyboard is VERY rough, but that's okay because it's just for my own use. You should almost always storyboard your animation first, because it will allow you to fix problems before you animate yourself into a corner, and you can make decisions like what scenes are actually necessary before you even begin animating.

Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 18th, 2012 @ 01:13 AM Reply

Learn as many keyboard shortcuts as you can. You'd be amazed how much time you'll save.

Also, like the previous poster suggested, you should always do a rough storyboard in advance. It may seem tediously uesless, but it really does save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

BBS Signature
tohoscope
tohoscope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 19th, 2012 @ 02:08 AM Reply

Good animation or fast animation. You can only pick one.

Blounty
Blounty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Movie Buff
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 19th, 2012 @ 08:01 AM Reply

At 5/19/12 02:08 AM, tohoscope wrote: Good animation or fast animation. You can only pick one.

I disagree, once you get good at something you can do it much faster than someone else.

Sig created by HighWay

BBS Signature
MistyEntertainment
MistyEntertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 20th, 2012 @ 01:54 AM Reply

At 5/16/12 04:08 PM, 24thebluesky wrote: Okay I guess I suck at animation from the work that I've submitted in through the last few days. I have a lot of creative ideas buzzing through my head but most of my ideas seem to just FAIL when I put them in animation form because a lot of them are slow, make little since to viewers,

Hmm, I know what you mean. I used to have this same problem for a while - it's only recently that I've worked around it. It takes time and practice to learn how to correctly execute your concepts. A huge problem I had would be I'd perfectly envision everything I was going to animate in my head, but I'd forget it later on. To fix this, I drew very,very rough storyboards when I was envisioning it, so that it doesn't distract my mind from how I'll storyboard it.

Whether the storyboards look decent or not, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you drew it clearly enough that you know which shot is which and how to pull it off later when you do the animation in Flash.

If you're unsure which shot to use and how to portray your concept, then watch some cartoons similar to the ones you want to produce and gain inspiration from them. Your "Jake story" was a solid concept but it needed work, like I said in my review 5 days ago.

But I spend SOOOOO much time animating but I usually get very little positive results done.

I suggest doing sloppy sketches, animating them and doing the polished sketches and animating them over the sloppy. I test some animations on sloppy sketches so I don't waste my time poorly animating an elaborate character.

So what are your easy steps to animating animations FAST?

I follow the storyboard and try my best to make the animation realistic and believable. But a solution of mine would be if my character was going to do something and it would take lots of animation, give him or her an alternative. That way, the outcome is the same and production time is even shorter.

Do you map out a storyboard first? Like do you get out a sketchpad and sketch the ideas first and THEN write out a script?

Script
Storyboard
Voice acting
Animating random scenes out of order
Putting them together

What are some of your secrets that you can share? ;O

basically that alternative solution thing I mentioned above. and also to motion-tween on minor movements.

iceimp
iceimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator

chronic masterbaition!

BBS Signature
Celshaded
Celshaded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 21st, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 5/21/12 05:38 PM, iceimp wrote: This,
This,
And of course this.

word.

BBS Signature
iceimp
iceimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 21st, 2012 @ 10:05 PM Reply

Also two sites you can use to help with your animating.

http://www.posemaniacs.com/

http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

chronic masterbaition!

BBS Signature
MasonicDisplay
MasonicDisplay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 23rd, 2012 @ 01:16 AM Reply

Like it's been said, I like to make very rough storyboards first. In fact, usually they're just sketches. But doing it like a board, and then either scanning in those images or just redoing them as roughs in flash can help get the timing out of the way. You can tweak the roughs to time out better. I usually have someone come in and look at the entire thing in rough form to see how they like it.

I included an example of how little detail usually goes into the "rough" stage.

After that's all done, it's pretty much just plowing through the detailed animation, which can take more or less time depending on the animation quality. If you want it to look good, it'll take longer. If you are okay with lower quality, it could be done faster.

How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast?

guitan11
guitan11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Animator
Response to How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast? May. 28th, 2012 @ 03:22 PM Reply

i agree with most of these guys here, a storyboard before you even start up your computer is the best way to go. you plan out everything roughly so that you at least have a direction. once you start animating and seeing things in motion you change and adjust things so that they look better. and one VERY IMPORTANT THING for animating quicker is: dont get distracted......... that is my biggest downfall. newgrounds, facebook, youtube, and a whole bunch of things just take away your focus and makes the process longer ^_^"

and here is a sample of a storyboard i do (its stickfigures, but it gets the point across) it doesnt have to be perfectly how you envision it, as long as you get whats going on ;)

How Do Some Of You Animate So Fast?

I'LL SHOW YOU MY NEW MOVE!

BBS Signature