New Topic Respond to this Topic
saltovergray
saltovergray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 06:14 AM Reply

I used to be a huge Nirvana fan. Now, I still like them, but to a much lesser extent.

Move outside your comfort zone, I'm sure you'll find loads of new music you'll like.

Formerly known as SaltshakerClock

BBS Signature
MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 07:46 AM Reply

Eh they are ok. I have to agree with some of the other posters Kurt sounds like he's orgasming when he sings. One giant moan - hard to believe he made a list of top ten male rock vocalists ranked with Dio for god's sakes. Of course I may be a bit biased because I had to ride in a car with a friend of a friend to school everyday when I was a teen and the only thing he ever listened to in the car constantly (I mean CONSTANTLY) was Nirvana. Yet he hated pokemon because it was the same plot repeated over and over , I guess he liked repeating music over and over

I imagine the only reason he is treated with such unwarranted reverence is because he killed himself. Much like what happened when Micheal Jackson died, his reputation went way up.

Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
SFS1313
SFS1313
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Filmmaker
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:14 AM Reply

I wouldn't say best band ever, but maybe this kid would...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oRm8R mNGFq4#!

UncleCubone
UncleCubone
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 16
Writer
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 11:05 AM Reply

HOLY SHIT. YES YES YES YES. Nirvana is awesome. One of my absolute favorites. Lot of meaning and emotion in those songs. Kurdt Cobain is pretty much the face of grunge.

Dumb is my favorite song by them

SIG BY AMARANTHUS. | PUNK ISN'T DEAD. | I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299
| I'm in a band 'n stuff.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.
I ENJOY CRANBERRY SAUCE. A LOT.

BBS Signature
envyitall
envyitall
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 11:06 AM Reply

I LOVE YOU.

Don't be scared of me!

BBS Signature
Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 11:28 AM Reply

Yes, mumbling to guitar riffs is extreme talent.

Click the bagrock link in my sig for real talent.

"Where I fall ten more shall take my place! And one-hundred each of them! So strike me down! I am the harbinger!"-Ollanius Pius

Buy me things.

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 11:41 AM Reply

So you like a band huh? You think they're the greatest? Do people agree with you? Not all you say, well maybe they aren't the greatest then. Ever thought about that? Ever thought that maybe music and peoples taste in music is a very personal thing, and that nothing really can be called "the greatest" just because you really, really like a an artist/band.

Heads or tails?

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 03:03 PM Reply

I think they're pretty good, but very overrated.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Tobi
Tobi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 03:19 PM Reply

Bleach was pretty good, rest, meh.

BBS Signature
Ryanson
Ryanson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 04:12 PM Reply

I like Nevermind. It's a really good album. "Drain You" is pretty awesome. "Polly" is just sad.

But the best band ever is a pretty big statement to make. I've yet to see any concrete evidence that proves the statement is true.

Life is a performance, and the world is full of critics. Give it your all like it's your last show.
You don't even want to know

BBS Signature
Drake
Drake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Audiophile
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 04:31 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 10:04 PM, steph2568 wrote: Oh, I beg to differ.

Supermassive amounts of win.

Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 04:42 PM Reply

If they can make thissound really amazing, they have my respect.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
Joel-Gruesome
Joel-Gruesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 07:30 PM Reply

That's a matter of opinion.

MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 07:43 PM Reply

Are you fucking kidding me?!

This band sucks. There is only one song by them that truly kicks arse and it's "Smells Like Team Spirit"

The band is still crap though. You fucking ass. Pearl Jam all the way, bitches

Shade
Shade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Voice Actor
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 07:44 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 03:47 PM, TwittSoup wrote: Didn't they only have one song?

That's correct, they have one song that they remade several dozen times giving them different titles each time.

"Where I fall ten more shall take my place! And one-hundred each of them! So strike me down! I am the harbinger!"-Ollanius Pius

Buy me things.

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Reader
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 07:45 PM Reply

There is a band called The Project Hate MCMXCIX that started in 1999 that has released 9 albums so far. The first album was great, and each subsequent album improved over the last. As you can imagine, their most recent album is a true masterpiece. They are the best band that has ever existed.

^That paragraph is almost entirely made up of opinions and my own subjective thoughts. A person who does not enjoy heavy metal would disagree with it. A person who does not like this type of heavy metal would disagree with it. A person who does not like this band would disagree with it. Are they wrong to disagree? No, not at all. They might simply dislike my favorite band for no reason, or they might actually have valid reasons for not liking it, but either way, they are neither "wrong" nor are they "right". No band can be named the "best" band, not even my favorite one.

That being said, I dislike Nirvana and do not think that they are especially talented at all, so I disagree with you on that one.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
ottokolo
ottokolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 09:35 PM Reply

cool, but here on ng, much people hate your music preferences for no darn reason. so i never ever posted music threads on ng

NEVER AGAIN...

Mick
Mick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 11:28 AM, Shade wrote: Yes, mumbling to guitar riffs is extreme talent.

Click the bagrock link in my sig for real talent.

Wild generalizations made there.

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:30 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 10:29 PM, Rallard wrote: I like nearly every grunge and post-grunge band except Nirvana.

How 'bout them apples?

I'm on the same boat as you.

Also OP, I saw you giving metaphors about various songs they wrote. What can you tell me about Floyd the Barber?

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:34 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 09:56 PM, Zippy-MyMusic wrote: Simply and easily, there is no band better than Nirvana. Not the Beatles, not the Rolling Stones, not ANYONE can beat Nirvana in talent and songwriting ability.

Try and prove me wrong. I dare you.

Nirvana is pretty good but I like Dave Grohl's project after Nirvana Foo Fighters better and I still need to listen to Kris Novoselic's other band Flipper. But I love grunge and all but there's the 4 thrash kings, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, and Megadeth. To many bands to pick one.

Steam | Letterboxd | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:53 PM Reply

Honestly, Kurt Cobain wasn't a very good guitarist. He played sloppily and often slower than he should have. I'm guessing it was all the heroin. The music was decent, though. My favorite song by them is probably their David Bowie cover.

Also, I still haven't checked out the Project Hate MCMXCIX, but I've been meaning to do so.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
NeutralObjections
NeutralObjections
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Voice Actor
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 17th, 2012 @ 03:40 AM Reply

At 5/16/12 02:14 AM, Travis wrote: The Black Keys aren't amused.

Great band.

Also though... Music threads trying to prove that one thing it better than the other or proving that one thing sucks compared to "x" is just fucking idiotic.

Everyone has different tastes and no one is going to like the same person or group the same way another does. That's the great thing about music.

People enjoy whatever music they find pleasing to the ear. Trying to prove one thing better than the other is just bastardizing music itself.

At least, that's my take on it. We'll all have our opinions on music. And while we'll share and contrast those songs we find with others who have similar tastes... screaming "LOL THAT BAND IS TRASH LISTEN TO REAL ______ LIKE THIS BAND" isn't really helping.

Suggest. Don't force like an offended redneck. Let people decide on their own what's "better" than something else.

Chocomilk
Chocomilk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Reader
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 17th, 2012 @ 04:00 AM Reply

I like Nirvana but they are in no way the best band ever. Dave Grohl is a great drummer, and I think Krist is a pretty good bassist, but Kurt isn't especially talented at guitar. I like his vocals but I can understand why people don't, sometimes his voice kind of annoys me as well.

I like his songwriting but it's extremely vague and the person on the first page who listed all the metaphors they used obviously couldn't have gotten them from the song itself.

Serve the Servants is still one of my favorite songs though (mostly for nostalgic reasons however),

BBS Signature
PuRpLe-KusH
PuRpLe-KusH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 17th, 2012 @ 04:38 AM Reply

I had to watch a video on that band for one of my classes, they seem like chill people

R.I.P Kurt

BBS Signature
abbuw
abbuw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. May. 17th, 2012 @ 02:26 PM Reply

They were the best band ever. They don't exist anymore.

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:30 AM Reply

Why all the Nirvana hate? They were really good in my opinion. Let's forget what everyone SAYS about them. If you ever watch their interviews, and read what they actually said, they really weren't trying to be all deep and dark and depressing yet sensitive.

They just wanted to be a normal band, make music and have fun like all their other friends. They weren't on a mission to take over the world.

Then they became famous, everyone started reading way too much into their meaning, and so now they are hated because of the image everyone else put on them. Kurt himself was infamously quoted many times as being uncomfortable with the messages people were reading in his music. He knew he wasn't a genius, and was embarrassed by people who praised him as some kind of god.

Either way, what they did was impressive. I mean, Kurt was homeless and living in his car. He wrote some really good songs and became a millionaire. I liked Cobain. It's every struggling musician's dream to be validated to that extent, and he did it with good old fashioned talent. Music today is recorded and then they auto correct everything to sound perfect, then they pour massive amount of cash into creating a rock star. Kurt just was a rocker, singing, and screaming, about his shitty life freezing outside, being homeless, and writing songs about his relationships. What made him different was that he cared when a girl broke his heart, or when his parents divorced. He wasn't a spoiled rich kid who didn't give a fuck about the girls he dated.

TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:36 AM Reply

Stop it. You're making fans of them look bad.

JBK
JBK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Gamer
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:37 AM Reply

Maybe best pop punk band.

"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 01:37 AM, JBK wrote: Maybe best pop punk band.

Nirvana is not pop punk. They're pop in comparison to other grunge bands, but not strictly pop punk.

And by grunge bands, I mean Mudhoney, Melvins, etc. Not putrid crap like Pearl Jam.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Nirvana is the best band ever. Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:40 AM Reply

Nirvana was great until Love came in the picture and fucked everything up.