Be a Supporter!
Benevolent9
Benevolent9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 11:31 AM Reply

For those who graduated, how does the job market look from your eyes? There are hardly any entry-level jobs in the video game design industry or media based market.

Knights
Knights
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Filmmaker
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 11:40 AM Reply

That's why most people in those fields work independently. Personally, I wouldn't mind getting a job over at Turner Brodcasting or an indie film company.

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.
AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 11:43 AM Reply

I don't know why I chose a job with shit pay.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
MOSFET
MOSFET
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 11:51 AM Reply

At 5/15/12 11:31 AM, Benevolent9 wrote: For those who graduated, how does the job market look from your eyes? There are hardly any entry-level jobs in the video game design industry or media based market.

There are few entry-level jobs in any technical field. There are a ton of openings for experienced engineers and developers.

Start freelancing. Work part-time in retail or food-service, play less games and start making your own games/media. Keep looking for those entry-level positions. That college degree opens many doors for you, but it's not going to guarantee you a job. Nowadays, you have to become your own entrepreneur, salesman, and technical expert to make it in this tough global economy, especially when starting out. Once you land that 1st or 2nd job, it's easy sailing.

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 12:26 PM Reply

If I'll work in the job market, I will serve the narrow interests of a company. I intend to work for a greater aim.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Blank Slate
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 01:05 PM Reply

You have to start at an entry position. Work your way up, and after a while you will be promoted. It is lame ,but that is how things are going in this economy.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

NorskeDrittsekk
NorskeDrittsekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 01:13 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 11:31 AM, Benevolent9 wrote: There are hardly any entry-level jobs in the video game design industry or media based market.

I'll bet you are wrong. If you are getting low grades in college all the time and being a lazy butt-hurt then you can't do anything with your studied skills and experiences.

Work your way up from lower level job. Be a janitor for a company is alright too. No one is smart and successful enough to get a high level career in his/her first day of job hunt. Just don't give up your hope and focus on your responsibility of your work.

It took me over 3 years to get to my current position in IT industry. I started out as a 'runner' and office cleaner even I got my MSCS.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 03:16 PM Reply

It'll still be a few years before I get my masters, but from what I know the job market is looking good for me. A couple of weeks ago I read that there'll be a shortage here of about 170,000 people in the technical branch (engineering, scientists, technicians etc.) so finding a job shouldn't prove too difficult.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
esko-man
esko-man
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 03:35 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 11:43 AM, Sensationalism wrote: I don't know why I chose a job with shit pay.

I found a good opportunity and now I'm already working in my field as I earn my degree. It was a lot of luck, and being able to show that I'm good at what I do.

MoonCraft
MoonCraft
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Artist
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 03:46 PM Reply

The field I'm getting my Bachelors in (Elementary Education) isn't doing too well overall. If I am unable to move to where it is thriving I'll just enroll into a Masters program and teach at the college level. You have to chase down the good jobs most of the time, sometimes thousands of miles.

"As I'm sure you're aware it is full of silhouettes of girls. The one on the M looks like she has a dick, just saiyan." -Shade-

BBS Signature
georgesodini
georgesodini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 03:16 PM, Auz wrote: It'll still be a few years before I get my masters, but from what I know the job market is looking good for me. A couple of weeks ago I read that there'll be a shortage here of about 170,000 people in the technical branch (engineering, scientists, technicians etc.) so finding a job shouldn't prove too difficult.

u realize that these numbers are manipulated by investors who hold shares in these educational institutions where you'll be paying tuition?
LOL
>
>>
>>>
its simple actually.
go look in the news paper and find ads for the job youd be looking for 4 years later.
the fact that you cant find shit should be a red flag.
now, call up the places where you should be getting "hired" in 4 years from now and ask if jobs are available.
the fact that they cant give you shit of a response should be a red flag.
finally, go around places like linkedin and make a social circle of college grads.
the fact that they are all unemployed or working shit jobs should be a red flag

Benevolent9
Benevolent9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 01:13 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote:
At 5/15/12 11:31 AM, Benevolent9 wrote: There are hardly any entry-level jobs in the video game design industry or media based market.
I'll bet you are wrong. If you are getting low grades in college all the time and being a lazy butt-hurt then you can't do anything with your studied skills and experiences.

Work your way up from lower level job. Be a janitor for a company is alright too. No one is smart and successful enough to get a high level career in his/her first day of job hunt. Just don't give up your hope and focus on your responsibility of your work.

It took me over 3 years to get to my current position in IT industry. I started out as a 'runner' and office cleaner even I got my MSCS.

I'd say I was an above average student, getting mostly B's and A's. When you started out as a runner, was it in an IT company? I've been looking for entry level jobs, but it seems every employer is looking for guys with 3+ experience. I would gladly start off with a tester job, even an internship.

ash
ash
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Melancholy
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Once I'm graduated I'll have tonnsssss of job opportunities. Someone's always looking for a nurse haha

BBS Signature
MOSFET
MOSFET
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 08:04 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 04:24 PM, Benevolent9 wrote: I'd say I was an above average student, getting mostly B's and A's. When you started out as a runner, was it in an IT company? I've been looking for entry level jobs, but it seems every employer is looking for guys with 3+ experience. I would gladly start off with a tester job, even an internship.

Are you using your University's Career Center? They typically have a lot of entry-level job postings there.

PuRpLe-KusH
PuRpLe-KusH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 11:44 PM Reply

I plan on staying in school for the rest of my life because working real jobs are lamez

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to After college May. 15th, 2012 @ 11:47 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 11:51 AM, MOSFET wrote: There are few entry-level jobs in any technical field. There are a ton of openings for experienced engineers and developers.

I guess I'm fucked then.

Start freelancing.

I don't wanna. I just want to get something assigned, do it, then get a paycheck.

C-Hawk
C-Hawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to After college May. 16th, 2012 @ 05:05 AM Reply

I graduated in the summer of 2008 (precisely when the world's money caught fire). I went right back into university, since it's going to take the economy those 3~5 years to recover in the first place, and when it does, i'll have more qualifications than most, while my resume remains gapless.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature
Benevolent9
Benevolent9
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to After college May. 16th, 2012 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 5/15/12 08:04 PM, MOSFET wrote:
At 5/15/12 04:24 PM, Benevolent9 wrote: I'd say I was an above average student, getting mostly B's and A's. When you started out as a runner, was it in an IT company? I've been looking for entry level jobs, but it seems every employer is looking for guys with 3+ experience. I would gladly start off with a tester job, even an internship.
Are you using your University's Career Center? They typically have a lot of entry-level job postings there.

I went to a school that is known for it's business and engineering majors. They hardly have any connections with media based and design companies. I still tried putting my resume out there to the companies that were strictly business that had a little comparison to what seemed interesting to me, but to no avail.

I thought that it may be a better idea to pick a big named school rather than one of those "maybe it's a scam" school like ITT tech or Art Institute.