JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 17:30:23 Reply

At 5/24/12 05:24 PM, Pahgawk wrote:

I tend to want to get right to work while I'm excited about making whatever scene I think will be fun to do. This is probably why I'm terrible at making complex stories work, since I never plan them well.

Let's not forget who got the highest score in the open round.

I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature
BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 18:18:33 Reply

I like you guys' (and gals'?) answers. I find a lot of your reasons are my reasons too.

At 5/23/12 11:22 PM, BPremo wrote: My main reason for being in the tournament isn't for the prizes. I work 35 hour work weeks at McDonald's so the amount of money from this tournament would be nice but it's not all that much to begin with .

I'm trying to get a full time job myself at the moment, so my ability to give this tournament plenty of time might be squandered soon. Hey -- it's good practice while I'm at it, though! I'm sure you feel that way too. You're right about the prize not being all that much for the amount of work a lot of people are putting into this. It's certainly a bonus, though.

At 5/23/12 11:07 PM, sandwich-eater wrote:
It's also nice to be able to get critiqued by awesome people.

The critique is a nice aspect of this also. I'm looking forward to that, too.

At 5/24/12 01:55 AM, DuDuL wrote:
Test myself for starters - get critique and feedback from others and kinda jump into the newgrounds animation scene as i'm so far known mostly in Poland like i mentioned before

I recall reading what you had said about your Polish viewers don't like you to dub in English, which is understandable I guess, but really limits your audience unless you put subtitles, too. I'm sure you'll gain plenty following outside of Poland if you keep at it, though.

At 5/24/12 08:14 AM, Hikarian wrote:
I've forced myself to finally try out a lot of new things during this competition, and I can see that I'm not the only one. I feel that I'm part of something great when I see the people around me improve so much :)

The 25 day limit aspect of it is a big drawing point for me, too. I have never really made a fully completed animation before, so this is a real test for me. I've had a lot of practice animating in the past though (since about age 15 when I started making animated gifs) so making a whole new animation every thirty days seems like it will be a great challenge. It's so great to see how others improve, too (even just looking at the competitions in the past).

At 5/24/12 02:39 PM, CatFat wrote: It seems as though we're all taking part for the same reasons; productivity, amelioration and exposure.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. I think the actual prize itself isn't the biggest goal for everyone here.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 20:00:47 Reply

Got just over 35 seconds done. Hopefully I can keep going at this rate.

ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 20:36:34 Reply

At 5/24/12 08:00 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Got just over 35 seconds done. Hopefully I can keep going at this rate.

Just realized that I'll have to finish about 2 full scenes every day until the deadline in order to finish on time. This, on top of having to catch up on my actual job, is going to be a lot :(

JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 21:55:11 Reply

At 5/24/12 08:36 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote:
At 5/24/12 08:00 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Got just over 35 seconds done. Hopefully I can keep going at this rate.
Just realized that I'll have to finish about 2 full scenes every day until the deadline in order to finish on time. This, on top of having to catch up on my actual job, is going to be a lot :(

It's okay man. You can do it. Might I suggest saying prayers? it's helped me through some pretty tight situations in the past. Heck, God's helping me right now, helping me keep up with my school work as I do this tournament.

I know how cheesy it sounds. it's the truth, though.

BBS Signature
Hikarian
Hikarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 01:13:52 Reply

I too made the mistake of diong the math about how much I had to accomplish every day... Originally I had to do 2 scenes per day as well and then I would be done in 21 days. Then I realised that I didn't like the ending of my storyboad and that I would much rather want an open ending, so I had to cut out a lot of scenes...

It's not really fun if one stresses it too much, so I guess this is where the ABC comes in handy :)

BBS Signature
LazyModeComics
LazyModeComics
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 02:58:05 Reply

You're probably getting a pass on this one. I'm most likely not going to finish. Way too busy.

-Jake

BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 06:54:10 Reply

At 5/24/12 06:18 PM, BananasFoster wrote:
At 5/24/12 01:55 AM, DuDuL wrote:
Test myself for starters - get critique and feedback from others and kinda jump into the newgrounds animation scene as i'm so far known mostly in Poland like i mentioned before
I recall reading what you had said about your Polish viewers don't like you to dub in English, which is understandable I guess, but really limits your audience unless you put subtitles, too. I'm sure you'll gain plenty following outside of Poland if you keep at it, though.

Thanks man - i will try my best - And yeah i will go for adding subs later for now - with open round i wanted to tease them and see how they will react if i will not add subs- and well... i ended up being a country traitor lol :D

14 days left hehe

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 19:44:12 Reply

Everyone seems to be a bit slow this round. Let's pick it up, people!

BBS Signature
Pahgawk
Pahgawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 20:58:25 Reply

At 5/25/12 07:44 PM, Emrox wrote: Everyone seems to be a bit slow this round. Let's pick it up, people!

Only another minute left to animate for mine, but for this round I plan on taking all the time that's given to me, partly so that I don't rush the animation as much and partly so I can still keep on top of school work. Turns out I have major tests/projects/etc due on the day of the deadline, so I'm going to have to share my usual animation time with study time.

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 21:32:33 Reply

At 5/25/12 07:44 PM, Emrox wrote: Everyone seems to be a bit slow this round. Let's pick it up, people!

You said it!

Also check out this WICKED cab! GNARLY!
BOOYAH!!!! KABLAM!!

- N A T A - Novice Round!

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 22:55:45 Reply

At 5/25/12 09:32 PM, BobyB64 wrote: Also check out this WICKED cab! GNARLY!
BOOYAH!!!! KABLAM!!

Wowie-zowie! Zebra stripes!

BBS Signature
BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 23:12:52 Reply

At 5/25/12 09:32 PM, BobyB64 wrote:
You said it!

BOOYAH!!!! KABLAM!!

That's a pretty nifty-looking cab! I like that it's got nothing to do with elephants, and everything to do with zebras.

Also, you said 'wicked'. Are you from the Massachusetts region by chance, perhaps Boston?

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 23:23:00 Reply

At 5/25/12 11:12 PM, BananasFoster wrote:
You said it!

BOOYAH!!!! KABLAM!!
That's a pretty nifty-looking cab! I like that it's got nothing to do with elephants, and everything to do with zebras.

Also, you said 'wicked'. Are you from the Massachusetts region by chance, perhaps Boston?

No I'm actually near Philadelphia. Is wicked one of those hip new slang words around Boston? It's pretty outdated around here, that's why I used it.

BBS Signature
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 23:38:25 Reply

At 5/25/12 08:58 PM, Pahgawk wrote:
Only another minute left to animate for mine, but for this round I plan on taking all the time that's given to me, partly so that I don't rush the animation as much and partly so I can still keep on top of school work. Turns out I have major tests/projects/etc due on the day of the deadline, so I'm going to have to share my usual animation time with study time.

I have the same problem. Only, I have--oh, say--2 minutes left to animate, and a good deal of the backgrounds to do. I'll probably end up cutting out a lot of shots. In my 4 years of high school, I've never understood why teachers make everything due the last possible day it could be.

BBS Signature
BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 23:51:12 Reply

At 5/25/12 11:23 PM, BobyB64 wrote:
At 5/25/12 11:12 PM, BananasFoster wrote:
You said it!

BOOYAH!!!! KABLAM!!

No I'm actually near Philadelphia. Is wicked one of those hip new slang words around Boston? It's pretty outdated around here, that's why I used it.

It's used very often in New England, and isn't really new or hip so much as it's just what a lot of people in that area say (ie: "that was wicked cool!", "I'm wicked tired"). It's more common around Massachusetts, but is pretty usual (with young people in particular) in places like New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, etc. Maybe you'll 'bring it back' in the Philly area and it will become common there.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 00:11:04 Reply

At 5/25/12 11:51 PM, BananasFoster wrote: Maybe you'll 'bring it back' in the Philly area and it will become common there.

I'm trying to bring back wicked, dope and keen.

Keen.

BBS Signature
Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 00:17:01 Reply

Man this shit is hella keen wicked clutch bro.

JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 00:38:17 Reply

At 5/26/12 12:17 AM, BPremo wrote: Man this shit is hella keen wicked clutch bro.

I never understand how 'clutch' came about, to be honest.

BBS Signature
BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 00:46:36 Reply

At 5/26/12 12:11 AM, BobyB64 wrote:
At 5/25/12 11:51 PM, BananasFoster wrote: Maybe you'll 'bring it back' in the Philly area and it will become common there.
I'm trying to bring back wicked, dope and keen.

Keen.

All of those are wicked common in New England; everyone makes a pretty dope use of them and are keen on using them all the damn time.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
McBinkles
McBinkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 02:08:20 Reply

i thought keen was only used as an exclamation in old comics?

poops

BBS Signature
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 03:10:45 Reply

Now that I have all the voice acting, I don't really have an excuse not to start animating.

Something must be done within the next few hours! Or I'll break something of mine and post pics as punishment.

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 06:58:28 Reply

At 5/26/12 12:46 AM, BananasFoster wrote: All of those are wicked common in New England; everyone makes a pretty dope use of them and are keen on using them all the damn time.

Haha that's mad sick.

At 5/26/12 12:38 AM, JerrodStorm wrote:
At 5/26/12 12:17 AM, BPremo wrote: Man this shit is hella keen wicked clutch bro.
I never understand how 'clutch' came about, to be honest.

I usually only hear it when sports are talked about. But yeah I don't know who thought clutch would be a good slang word.

At 5/26/12 02:08 AM, McBinkles wrote: i thought keen was only used as an exclamation in old comics?

Also less old BGC games

BBS Signature
DannX3anim8ion
DannX3anim8ion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 07:41:58 Reply

I have barely any animation done so far u_u" DAMMIT FALLOUT!

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 09:12:21 Reply

At 5/26/12 06:58 AM, BobyB64 wrote: Also less old BGC games

I've always felt that the covers of GBC games were such lies. I mean, the screen can't even do all the different colors in the word "color."

BBS Signature
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 09:40:50 Reply

At 5/26/12 07:41 AM, DannX3anim8ion wrote: I have barely any animation done so far u_u" DAMMIT FALLOUT!

It's okay. Castle crashers has me caught. Dang it, Tom!

BBS Signature
Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 16:15:52 Reply

I bless the rains down in Africa.

Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 18:50:46 Reply

At 5/26/12 09:12 AM, Emrox wrote:
At 5/26/12 06:58 AM, BobyB64 wrote: Also less old BGC games
I've always felt that the covers of GBC games were such lies. I mean, the screen can't even do all the different colors in the word "color."

Couldn't agree more. I begged my mom to get me Commander Keen when I was like 5 because the cover looked so cool. As far as far as I remember it was a piece of shit. I wish I knew where it was now.

BBS Signature
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 19:44:03 Reply

I can't remember, is it considered cheating to have a second artist(i.e a background artist) helping you out? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I won't finish my entire storyboard otherwise...

BBS Signature
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-26 20:35:19 Reply

At 5/26/12 07:44 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: I can't remember, is it considered cheating to have a second artist(i.e a background artist) helping you out? 'Cause I'm pretty sure I won't finish my entire storyboard otherwise...

I suggest doing the ABC shot thing.

BBS Signature