00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

- N A T A - Novice Round!

58,843 Views | 678 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 21:04:20

At 5/23/12 04:17 AM, LazyModeComics wrote: Who else just started?

-Jake

I've sorta been working on it. I mean, my storyboard and script are pretty close to done, and my voice actors are primed and ready. I'm basically one step away from animating. But I've got not even a second of polished animation, nor any backgrounds.

By the way, are you going to be doing something in B/W again? Because your opening entry's style was amazing.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 21:14:32

At 5/23/12 09:04 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: I've sorta been working on it. I mean, my storyboard and script are pretty close to done, and my voice actors are primed and ready. I'm basically one step away from animating. But I've got not even a second of polished animation, nor any backgrounds.

I have just over a minute animated. So I'm about a third finished so that's cool.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 21:55:07

-Jake

Still gotta revide for exams but I'm getting straight on this right afer my last exam on the 6th which will give me somewhere between 24-48 hours to do all of it lol. Don't think my opponent has much to fear from my entry.

Does anyone think I should livesteam it?

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 22:11:49

At 5/23/12 09:55 PM, JoHobo2 wrote: Does anyone think I should livesteam it?

It boosts your productivity, that's for sure :)

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 22:15:51

At 5/23/12 09:55 PM, JoHobo2 wrote:

-Jake
Still gotta revide for exams but I'm getting straight on this right afer my last exam on the 6th which will give me somewhere between 24-48 hours to do all of it lol. Don't think my opponent has much to fear from my entry.

Does anyone think I should livesteam it?

24 - 48 hours ? 4 words for that --- YOU ARE A BOSS.
Also, yeah :D livestream it, f yeah

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 22:19:27

-Jake

Well, I've actually been pretty productive for this one. I have about two minutes done so far.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 22:28:59

At 5/23/12 10:19 PM, Pahgawk wrote:

-Jake
Well, I've actually been pretty productive for this one. I have about two minutes done so far.

Hey, you got your last one done early; I'd say you were pretty productive then, too!

I started last night officially. I couldn't think of what to do, then last night I finally decided on something and began blocking it out and doing rough animation.

I'm curious... what are you guys' reasons for participating in this tournament? For myself, although the prize is cool, I'm doing this more because it's incentive to get some projects going and out there. I normally have off and on motivation, so this is a bit of a kick in the ass for myself. How about all of you?

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 22:36:45

At 5/23/12 10:28 PM, BananasFoster wrote:
I'm curious... what are you guys' reasons for participating in this tournament? For myself, although the prize is cool, I'm doing this more because it's incentive to get some projects going and out there. I normally have off and on motivation, so this is a bit of a kick in the ass for myself. How about all of you?

Get more jobs here and there, some collabs and stuff, have something productive to do with my skills (music, animation, etc), stuff like that, see what im capable of :3

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 23:07:00

At 5/23/12 10:28 PM, BananasFoster wrote: I'm curious... what are you guys' reasons for participating in this tournament? For myself, although the prize is cool, I'm doing this more because it's incentive to get some projects going and out there. I normally have off and on motivation, so this is a bit of a kick in the ass for myself. How about all of you?

I wanted to get some animations going. This tournament is a way of making me actually do something. The prizes were added incentive, especially since you get one for passing each round.

It's also nice to be able to get critiqued by awesome people.

Unrelated; I just got into an animation & digital video course, which starts tomorrow. It actually started last week, but when I applied a while back it was full. Then a space opened up.
Looks like my spare time is about to drop dramatically. Oh well, spare time I would've spent procrastinating.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-23 23:22:09

My main reason for being in the tournament isn't for the prizes. I work 35 hour work weeks at McDonald's so the amount of money from this tournament would be nice but it's not all that much to begin with . I really want to push my skills and abilities and just build on those. I did webcomics for a while and I still do them when I have the time but that's rare now. I want to produce more animated work overall and get my name out there. I regret not doing more flash during high school so I'm kind of making up for it through this. I can kiss my social life goodbye.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 01:55:37

At 5/23/12 10:28 PM, BananasFoster wrote: I'm curious... what are you guys' reasons for participating in this tournament? For myself, although the prize is cool, I'm doing this more because it's incentive to get some projects going and out there. I normally have off and on motivation, so this is a bit of a kick in the ass for myself. How about all of you?

Test myself for starters - get critique and feedback from others and kinda jump into the newgrounds animation scene as i'm so far known mostly in Poland like i mentioned before

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 05:45:17

I entered the tournament to get some more experience, to "expand my horizons" as emrox put it a while ago. But I noticed a lot of upsides very quickly. For one, you're waaaaaaaay more likely to get frontpaged, which increases your exposure. at the same time, if you have some ad revenue coming in, the front page means way more money. The prizes are nice, and to get feedback from people who ACTUALLY KNOW how difficult the animation and storytelling process is is a plain joy. On top of all of this, your network begins to expand very quickly, I mean, how many of you are thinking you want to collab with some of these artists after the tournament's all said and done? I know I am.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 06:55:29

At 5/24/12 05:45 AM, JerrodStorm wrote: I mean, how many of you are thinking you want to collab with some of these artists after the tournament's all said and done? I know I am.

I know I did.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 07:26:29

At 5/24/12 06:55 AM, Emrox wrote:
At 5/24/12 05:45 AM, JerrodStorm wrote: I mean, how many of you are thinking you want to collab with some of these artists after the tournament's all said and done? I know I am.
I know I did.

I think i will :D

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 08:14:16

Before this, the only real projects that I had worked on took me 6-12 months. I really wanted to see how much I could accomplish in a matter of 25 days, and this was the perfect way to motivate myself. To be honest, while working on the animation for this novice round, I've been forgetting that I'm actually in a tournament. I've had fun studying movements and trying to improve every little scene. And it's the first time I'm active in the forum, so that's a plus as well!

I've forced myself to finally try out a lot of new things during this competition, and I can see that I'm not the only one. I feel that I'm part of something great when I see the people around me improve so much :)

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 11:51:44

To teach myself more about Flash and to gain some recognition

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 14:39:17

It seems as though we're all taking part for the same reasons; productivity, amelioration and exposure.

PSN ID: CatFatius

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 15:28:39

At 5/24/12 02:39 PM, CatFat wrote: It seems as though we're all taking part for the same reasons; productivity, amelioration and exposure.

That basically sums it up for me aswel.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 16:52:51

HAHA! I finally finished all the storyboarding and script writing. I can finally make backgrounds and start rough animation!

Is anyone else this far?

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 17:07:30

At 5/24/12 04:52 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: HAHA! I finally finished all the storyboarding and script writing. I can finally make backgrounds and start rough animation!

Is anyone else this far?

I don't do storyboards, so it'd be tough to say if I'm farther along, but so far I've finished the audio and 1/6 of the animation. I do have 3 out of 6 character rigs done, though.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 17:24:32

At 5/24/12 05:07 PM, Emrox wrote:
At 5/24/12 04:52 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: HAHA! I finally finished all the storyboarding and script writing. I can finally make backgrounds and start rough animation!

Is anyone else this far?
I don't do storyboards, so it'd be tough to say if I'm farther along, but so far I've finished the audio and 1/6 of the animation. I do have 3 out of 6 character rigs done, though.

I always start doing storyboards, but I have never actually fully finished them except if I need other people to do voice acting. I tend to want to get right to work while I'm excited about making whatever scene I think will be fun to do. This is probably why I'm terrible at making complex stories work, since I never plan them well.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 17:30:23

At 5/24/12 05:24 PM, Pahgawk wrote:

I tend to want to get right to work while I'm excited about making whatever scene I think will be fun to do. This is probably why I'm terrible at making complex stories work, since I never plan them well.

Let's not forget who got the highest score in the open round.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 18:18:33

I like you guys' (and gals'?) answers. I find a lot of your reasons are my reasons too.

At 5/23/12 11:22 PM, BPremo wrote: My main reason for being in the tournament isn't for the prizes. I work 35 hour work weeks at McDonald's so the amount of money from this tournament would be nice but it's not all that much to begin with .

I'm trying to get a full time job myself at the moment, so my ability to give this tournament plenty of time might be squandered soon. Hey -- it's good practice while I'm at it, though! I'm sure you feel that way too. You're right about the prize not being all that much for the amount of work a lot of people are putting into this. It's certainly a bonus, though.

At 5/23/12 11:07 PM, sandwich-eater wrote:
It's also nice to be able to get critiqued by awesome people.

The critique is a nice aspect of this also. I'm looking forward to that, too.

At 5/24/12 01:55 AM, DuDuL wrote:
Test myself for starters - get critique and feedback from others and kinda jump into the newgrounds animation scene as i'm so far known mostly in Poland like i mentioned before

I recall reading what you had said about your Polish viewers don't like you to dub in English, which is understandable I guess, but really limits your audience unless you put subtitles, too. I'm sure you'll gain plenty following outside of Poland if you keep at it, though.

At 5/24/12 08:14 AM, Hikarian wrote:
I've forced myself to finally try out a lot of new things during this competition, and I can see that I'm not the only one. I feel that I'm part of something great when I see the people around me improve so much :)

The 25 day limit aspect of it is a big drawing point for me, too. I have never really made a fully completed animation before, so this is a real test for me. I've had a lot of practice animating in the past though (since about age 15 when I started making animated gifs) so making a whole new animation every thirty days seems like it will be a great challenge. It's so great to see how others improve, too (even just looking at the competitions in the past).

At 5/24/12 02:39 PM, CatFat wrote: It seems as though we're all taking part for the same reasons; productivity, amelioration and exposure.

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head. I think the actual prize itself isn't the biggest goal for everyone here.

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 20:00:47

Got just over 35 seconds done. Hopefully I can keep going at this rate.

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 20:36:34

At 5/24/12 08:00 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Got just over 35 seconds done. Hopefully I can keep going at this rate.

Just realized that I'll have to finish about 2 full scenes every day until the deadline in order to finish on time. This, on top of having to catch up on my actual job, is going to be a lot :(

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-24 21:55:11

At 5/24/12 08:36 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote:
At 5/24/12 08:00 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Got just over 35 seconds done. Hopefully I can keep going at this rate.
Just realized that I'll have to finish about 2 full scenes every day until the deadline in order to finish on time. This, on top of having to catch up on my actual job, is going to be a lot :(

It's okay man. You can do it. Might I suggest saying prayers? it's helped me through some pretty tight situations in the past. Heck, God's helping me right now, helping me keep up with my school work as I do this tournament.

I know how cheesy it sounds. it's the truth, though.

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 01:13:52

I too made the mistake of diong the math about how much I had to accomplish every day... Originally I had to do 2 scenes per day as well and then I would be done in 21 days. Then I realised that I didn't like the ending of my storyboad and that I would much rather want an open ending, so I had to cut out a lot of scenes...

It's not really fun if one stresses it too much, so I guess this is where the ABC comes in handy :)

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 02:58:05

You're probably getting a pass on this one. I'm most likely not going to finish. Way too busy.

-Jake

BBS Signature

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 06:54:10

At 5/24/12 06:18 PM, BananasFoster wrote:
At 5/24/12 01:55 AM, DuDuL wrote:
I recall reading what you had said about your Polish viewers don't like you to dub in English, which is understandable I guess, but really limits your audience unless you put subtitles, too. I'm sure you'll gain plenty following outside of Poland if you keep at it, though.

Thanks man - i will try my best - And yeah i will go for adding subs later for now - with open round i wanted to tease them and see how they will react if i will not add subs- and well... i ended up being a country traitor lol :D

14 days left hehe

Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-25 19:44:12

Everyone seems to be a bit slow this round. Let's pick it up, people!