Be a Supporter!

- N A T A - Novice Round!

  • 33,344 Views
  • 704 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Emrox
Emrox
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 09:25 PM Reply

Wowie! why didn't we have this before?


BBS Signature
JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 5/19/12 12:00 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: Haha, my story ideas suck so much that they'd provide more of a guide for what NOT to do in order to come up with one.

I don't know why you're so hard on yourself. Your a really good animator, probably one of the best animators in this to be honest. I'm sorry that I can't give you much of a fight this round due to exams (my fault really should have started revising earlier) but I doubt i would have stood much of a chance against you even if i had the time to spare.

My process for writing in the last round was to wikipedia paradox and basically animate a version of an example of something called a 'bootstrap paradox'.

Interesting pointer Thor gave me last year was to rank all storyboarded shots from 1 to 3 with 1 being essential to the plot, 2 being useful and 3 being purely aesthetic. animate all "1" shots then "2" then "3". Wouldn't have finished this year without following this advice as my original planned animation was 4 times the length of what I actually had time to produce.

JoHobo2
JoHobo2
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 09:41 PM Reply

lol disregard the last thing I said, I just saw the link (facepalm)

Pahgawk
Pahgawk
  • Member since: Feb. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 09:47 PM Reply

Is anyone else here doing somewhat fbf?

I'm trying to do a bit more frame-by-frame than I did last time since I have less other stuff going on to take priority, but oh my goodness this takes forever.

A little sample here: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0e656bd7e41aac10a142bac6 e5d83346


BBS Signature
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 09:51 PM Reply

At 5/19/12 01:44 PM, Hikarian wrote: Is anyone else here doing somewhat fbf?

That's the plan. Haha, but plans don't exactly work for me. I've been planning on making my animations significantly more fbf for like the last year. But I always end up going for the easiest route.

We'll see how it goes. I should try the ABC thing too. Very useful!


BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Member since: Jan. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 10:15 PM Reply

Got a background done today.

CHECK IT OUT!!

- N A T A - Novice Round!


BBS Signature
Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 10:30 PM Reply

At 5/19/12 10:15 PM, BobyB64 wrote: Got a background done today.

CHECK IT OUT!!

FUCK YEAH!!!!! ZING ZING KABOOOM!!!

Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 11:02 PM Reply

I've finished 10 seconds so far and storyboarded half. Still trying to polish everything.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/afd182b8eb7947d1bc675ee3 34a59bfb

McBinkles
McBinkles
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 11:09 PM Reply

WELL SINCE EVERYONES POSTING BACKGROUNDS

... I probably should have worked on this a bit more today. I played like 2/3 through Half Life 2 and recorded a 20 minute improvised guitar song instead. OH WELL.

- N A T A - Novice Round!


poops

BBS Signature
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 11:31 PM Reply

At 5/19/12 09:47 PM, Pahgawk wrote:
Is anyone else here doing somewhat fbf?
I'm trying to do a bit more frame-by-frame than I did last time since I have less other stuff going on to take priority, but oh my goodness this takes forever.

A little sample here: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/0e656bd7e41aac10a142bac6 e5d83346

Yeah, it's painstaking, but rewarding once you get into it and find a workflow that you like. Nice job, can't wait to see the rest.


I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM Reply

Also, I'd considering changing my animation to be a parody on jmtb02's "This is The Only Level."

I think it's safe to say no one else realized just how well that game fits the theme. :3
I'm still partly considering it, but it's a little late into the round to change my idea entirely.


I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature
coughing-dog
coughing-dog
  • Member since: Jun. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 11:40 PM Reply

Thought I'd post some WIP http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/df9d85d8a9053e8d966d730b 7fa9e71c

I'm going the more literal route on this one, off to a late start but I should be done in time.

Brewster
Brewster
  • Member since: Jan. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 11:53 PM Reply

At 5/19/12 11:40 PM, coughing-dog wrote: Thought I'd post some WIP http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/df9d85d8a9053e8d966d730b 7fa9e71c

I'm going the more literal route on this one, off to a late start but I should be done in time.

That's what you get done after starting late? I gotta get my shit together.


BBS Signature
ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 05:58 AM Reply

Here's one of mine.

- N A T A - Novice Round!

sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 07:19 AM Reply

At 5/20/12 05:58 AM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Here's one of mine.

That is supremely extreme!

Here's mine so far.


BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 07:32 AM Reply

At 5/20/12 07:19 AM, sandwich-eater wrote:
At 5/20/12 05:58 AM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Here's one of mine.
That is supremely extreme!

Here's mine so far.

damn, looks neat, although i would put some complementary colors, this is like the time chamber from DBZ, no ?

CatFat
CatFat
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 09:06 AM Reply

At 5/19/12 07:57 PM, NATA wrote:
He has written up this article, "Knowing Your ABCs" especially for NATA contestants who made it in!

Read it Here! --> http://munchymedia.com/nataguide/323/

Ah that's really good advice, I'll be sure to try that out this round seeing as I didn't finish last time.


CatFat on Youtube
PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
HowardWimshurst
HowardWimshurst
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 5/20/12 07:19 AM, sandwich-eater wrote:
At 5/20/12 05:58 AM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Here's one of mine.
That is supremely extreme!

Here's mine so far.

Those beats where super dirty!!!!
thats what I hear now whenever I see any of your posts hahaha!

ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Member since: Apr. 9, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 05:50 PM Reply

I remember in the open round thread someone had a problem where the frame rate would drop when a blur was tweened. I'm having that problem now, but I can't seem to find the post anymore. Could someone direct me to the post that explain how to fix the problem?

Brewster
Brewster
  • Member since: Jan. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 06:49 PM Reply

At 5/20/12 05:50 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: I remember in the open round thread someone had a problem where the frame rate would drop when a blur was tweened. I'm having that problem now, but I can't seem to find the post anymore. Could someone direct me to the post that explain how to fix the problem?

I couldn't find the post either but I think the fix was save the image as a .png with the blur on it and import that into Flash. Let me know if that works.


BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Member since: May. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 06:53 PM Reply

At 5/20/12 05:50 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: I remember in the open round thread someone had a problem where the frame rate would drop when a blur was tweened. I'm having that problem now, but I can't seem to find the post anymore. Could someone direct me to the post that explain how to fix the problem?

Oh yeah - let me copypaste the solution i gave
"Hmmm ... The other thing is - save the blur thingy as a .png (only the blur thingy) and then use it in flash as an image [just remember to allow smoothing and rise the quality of the picture in the library"
+ also
Emrox wrote:
You seem to have everything resolved, but for future reference you can also use Modify > Shape > Soften fill edges

Cenaf wrote:
optimizing function also works great with that btw. :o

Hope that helps

DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Member since: May. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Animator
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 20th, 2012 @ 09:33 PM Reply

At 5/20/12 02:17 PM, terabiter wrote:
At 5/20/12 07:19 AM, sandwich-eater wrote: Here's mine so far.
Those beats where super dirty!!!!
thats what I hear now whenever I see any of your posts hahaha!

Haha awesome. I'll take that a success.

Anyway, I should probably start my thing now, so I don't lose by an embarrassing amount.


BBS Signature
Catoblepas
Catoblepas
  • Member since: Oct. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 21st, 2012 @ 08:25 AM Reply

I'd like to propose a bonus point category to the judging: 'How much hatemail you get from your entry'

Because I still get it from my 1st entry. Daily. I don't know what I'm doing right, but reading hatemail is one of the funnest ways to start your morning. :P


BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Member since: May. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 21st, 2012 @ 09:13 AM Reply

At 5/21/12 08:25 AM, Catoblepas wrote: I'd like to propose a bonus point category to the judging: 'How much hatemail you get from your entry'

Because I still get it from my 1st entry. Daily. I don't know what I'm doing right, but reading hatemail is one of the funnest ways to start your morning. :P

You won't beat me in that... once i uploaded my part from open round to my YouTube (not i have mostly Polish audience there) they started insulting me of being a dick/traitor etc. for not doing a movie in Polish (that's their most used argument) - i have lost over 100 subscribers lol :D and their reasoning is bullshit ;D And once i said for fun that i won't add subtitles they started threatening me to leave Poland etc. :D (anyone from US/UK wanna adopt me :D?)

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 21st, 2012 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 5/21/12 09:13 AM, DuDuL wrote:
At 5/21/12 08:25 AM, Catoblepas wrote: I'd like to propose a bonus point category to the judging: 'How much hatemail you get from your entry'

Because I still get it from my 1st entry. Daily. I don't know what I'm doing right, but reading hatemail is one of the funnest ways to start your morning. :P
You won't beat me in that... once i uploaded my part from open round to my YouTube (not i have mostly Polish audience there) they started insulting me of being a dick/traitor etc. for not doing a movie in Polish (that's their most used argument) - i have lost over 100 subscribers lol :D and their reasoning is bullshit ;D And once i said for fun that i won't add subtitles they started threatening me to leave Poland etc. :D (anyone from US/UK wanna adopt me :D?)

Thats a problem ive had (not with mail, but with comments), thats why i dont make much stuff, if i do something in spanish i get sooo much hate from people that speak english (1st animation i uploaded to newgrounds), the same if i make something in english, even if i put subs.

DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Member since: May. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 21st, 2012 @ 10:18 AM Reply

At 5/21/12 10:00 AM, francisyfl wrote:
At 5/21/12 09:13 AM, DuDuL wrote:
At 5/21/12 08:25 AM, Catoblepas wrote: I'd like to propose a bonus point category to the judging: 'How much hatemail you get from your entry'

Because I still get it from my 1st entry. Daily. I don't know what I'm doing right, but reading hatemail is one of the funnest ways to start your morning. :P
You won't beat me in that... once i uploaded my part from open round to my YouTube (not i have mostly Polish audience there) they started insulting me of being a dick/traitor etc. for not doing a movie in Polish (that's their most used argument) - i have lost over 100 subscribers lol :D and their reasoning is bullshit ;D And once i said for fun that i won't add subtitles they started threatening me to leave Poland etc. :D (anyone from US/UK wanna adopt me :D?)
Thats a problem ive had (not with mail, but with comments), thats why i dont make much stuff, if i do something in spanish i get sooo much hate from people that speak english (1st animation i uploaded to newgrounds), the same if i make something in english, even if i put subs.

That is why i decided to abandon making films in Polish on my YT after one last movie i started month ago and i will turn full time on making English voiced ones... i will get hate, i will lose viewers but in the end it will be better for me and with time i will gain new viewers.

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 21st, 2012 @ 11:04 AM Reply

At 5/21/12 10:18 AM, DuDuL wrote:
That is why i decided to abandon making films in Polish on my YT after one last movie i started month ago and i will turn full time on making English voiced ones... i will get hate, i will lose viewers but in the end it will be better for me and with time i will gain new viewers.

well, not to get all nacionalist and stuff, but i think its better to have a following from your own country, you already have that, use that power youve earned, if i had a group of people that loved to watch my stuff that would be freaking awesome, you can easily do gatherings and stuff, and change your country environment together, thats what id love to do here. I think its awesome to have followers from everywhere, just keep putting subs until they like it :P.

DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Member since: May. 14, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 21st, 2012 @ 11:32 AM Reply

At 5/21/12 11:04 AM, francisyfl wrote:
At 5/21/12 10:18 AM, DuDuL wrote:
That is why i decided to abandon making films in Polish on my YT after one last movie i started month ago and i will turn full time on making English voiced ones... i will get hate, i will lose viewers but in the end it will be better for me and with time i will gain new viewers.
well, not to get all nacionalist and stuff, but i think its better to have a following from your own country, you already have that, use that power youve earned, if i had a group of people that loved to watch my stuff that would be freaking awesome, you can easily do gatherings and stuff, and change your country environment together, thats what id love to do here. I think its awesome to have followers from everywhere, just keep putting subs until they like it :P.

Okay i gave my point too fast ;P - i didn't mean that i'm throwing it all away - i did let them know that i will switch language in my vids and why. Some raged and still rages, some agreed and accepted it and the rest will watch my stuff anyway - Those who really 'love and support' my stuff are on my facebook hehe. I'm doing this because i want to be a better animator - and English vids plus on Newgrounds allows me to (i never recieved any feedback on my YT :P)... Okay i guess it's enough of this topic

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 21st, 2012 @ 12:07 PM Reply

At 5/21/12 11:32 AM, DuDuL wrote:

(i never recieved any feedback on my YT :P)... Okay i guess it's enough of this topic

ahahahahahhahaah i understand :P