DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 09:02:48 Reply

At 5/19/12 08:56 AM, JerrodStorm wrote:
At 5/18/12 09:54 PM, BPremo wrote: I haven't had a diet this bad in years. Thanks NATA I'll gladly gain weight for you.
I have the opposite problem...

Your wrist works so hard that it heats up your body so hard that you lose weight?
Now that's working out for an animator ;D

Jomillex
Jomillex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 10:09:26 Reply

At 5/19/12 09:02 AM, DuDuL wrote:
At 5/18/12 09:54 PM, BPremo wrote: I haven't had a diet this bad in years. Thanks NATA I'll gladly gain weight for you.
Your wrist works so hard that it heats up your body so hard that you lose weight?

No I can connect with him, He means he doesn't eat at all because he's working to much.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." -F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 10:58:08 Reply

At 5/19/12 10:09 AM, Jomillex wrote:
At 5/19/12 09:02 AM, DuDuL wrote:
No I can connect with him, He means he doesn't eat at all because he's working to much.

I know that feel. Although, the irony is that I haven't worked at all. I'm just too connected to my laptop to eat.
I am a bit of a skinny mofo. Probably because my diet generally consists of sandwiches, and I have a high metabolism.

Funny thing, I now have an interest in the show Top gear (UK)
When the round started I went and tvtropes'd "elephant in the room" to get some "inspiration" (didn't help much). I saw something about Top Gear averting an awkward situation by having an episode dealing with Richard Hammond's jet car crash. So I youtube'd that shit, and I was like "damn"
I'd never watched the show before, and I looked into it a bit, and found that people who don't really have an interest in cars like the show as much as any other person. So, I watched season 8 and I'm watching season 9 and it's not bad.

As for the tournament, I have a confirmed voice actor so that oughta get things rolling. My procrastination will probably come back with a vengeance though.

Also I have quite the question. How do you guys come up with your ideas?

The script I have currently, I don't even remember where it came from. It's not very good, but we're a week in and I need to get cracking. Anyway, I remember struggling for a few days to get any formation of a plot structure or idea; then suddenly I just knew what I was doing.

Inspiration can come from the weirdest places though. My inane christmas flash from last year was based on a facebook chat that was based partially from a facebook post and partially from a thread I remembered.

It's probably a difficult question. Maybe it's not. I dunno. I'm just curious.

/slightly drunken rambling

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 11:01:55 Reply

At 5/19/12 10:58 AM, sandwich-eater wrote: Also I have quite the question. How do you guys come up with your ideas?

I usually take about twenty minutes of just thinking about shit. Then I write a script, and I rewrite it the next day. That's usually all it takes for me, but every now and then I'll get really stumped, which happened for two rounds in a row last year.

BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 11:17:00 Reply

At 5/19/12 11:01 AM, Emrox wrote:
At 5/19/12 10:58 AM, sandwich-eater wrote: Also I have quite the question. How do you guys come up with your ideas?
I usually take about twenty minutes of just thinking about shit. Then I write a script, and I rewrite it the next day. That's usually all it takes for me, but every now and then I'll get really stumped, which happened for two rounds in a row last year.

For me i just go and talk about it with some friends - something is bound to come up ;D
But for example the Avengers parody flash im also working on just hit me out of nowhere while i was eating ;D
Patience... debate... luck... i don't know

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 11:28:46 Reply

At 5/19/12 11:01 AM, Emrox wrote:

well, what i do is sit down and look for info (books, internet, random shit) and then i write down whatever comes to mind, then i open steam, then i play, then i open LOL, and i play :3, then i search videos and stuff in youtube, then i open flash and start drawing sketches of characters and stuff and i put those characters i draw in a story arround the theme, the story i create changes everyday until it gets the shape im looking for, i look at the days left (if it is a college project or a personal) and cut the story so i can make it in less time.

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 11:49:51 Reply

For this one I'm stepping a bit out of my comfort zone. Actually, more than just a bit. I'm taking on a noticeably different art style, using 35 FPS (11 more than ever before), writing outside of humor for the second time in years, and on top of that, I haven't drawn an animal in a cartoon since December 2010. In fact, if I submitted it under a different name, you'd probably never know it was me.

I've decided to use this year's tournament as a means of expanding my horizon. That said, I'm hoping I can still pull off these drastic changes without being slaughtered in the first round.

- N A T A - Novice Round!

BBS Signature
sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 11:56:42 Reply

At 5/19/12 11:49 AM, Emrox wrote: For this one I'm stepping a bit out of my comfort zone. Actually, more than just a bit. I'm taking on a noticeably different art style, using 35 FPS (11 more than ever before), writing outside of humor for the second time in years, and on top of that, I haven't drawn an animal in a cartoon since December 2010. In fact, if I submitted it under a different name, you'd probably never know it was me.

I've decided to use this year's tournament as a means of expanding my horizon. That said, I'm hoping I can still pull off these drastic changes without being slaughtered in the first round.

I really hope you can pull this off, and then pull off crazier stuff in the future. I definitely need to expand my horizons. It probably isn't going to happen with this, but I'm 51% sure I'll pull myself together some day.

I expect big things from you!

And on that note, thanks for your interesting replies :)
I should get some sleep now.

BBS Signature
JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 12:00:41 Reply

At 5/19/12 10:58 AM, sandwich-eater wrote:
Also I have quite the question. How do you guys come up with your ideas?

Haha, my story ideas suck so much that they'd provide more of a guide for what NOT to do in order to come up with one. Generally, I've just been worrying myself into a stupor until something pops into my head. Personally, Emrox's pattern for story writing probably makes the most sense. Man, I just want to hate him for being so good at every aspect of this at such a young age. Not hate, I guess, just a bit of jealousy.

I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 12:46:09 Reply

At 5/19/12 12:00 PM, JerrodStorm wrote: Personally, Emrox's pattern for story writing probably makes the most sense. Man, I just want to hate him for being so good at every aspect of this at such a young age. Not hate, I guess, just a bit of jealousy.

Awww :3

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 13:06:12 Reply

For this round I just started thinking of different situations whenever I had the time, which was while I was trying to sleep or while I was at school. Unfortunately these are the times when I feel like animating the most.

BBS Signature
Hikarian
Hikarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 13:44:02 Reply

At 5/19/12 11:49 AM, Emrox wrote:
I've decided to use this year's tournament as a means of expanding my horizon. That said, I'm hoping I can still pull off these drastic changes without being slaughtered in the first round. *picture*

Noooooo, it seems like you've chosen the same title for you flash as I have :O ... I wonder how that can be?

Anyways, I'm also using this tournament for learning. Trying to push the limits for how much I can accomplish in 25 days. I'm focusing mostly on fbf character animation. It's difficult to master, but I feel like I've learned so much in this competition already, especially with the thing I'm working on right now :)

Is anyone else here doing somewhat fbf?

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 13:50:11 Reply

At 5/19/12 01:44 PM, Hikarian wrote: Is anyone else here doing somewhat fbf?

Funny that I'm actually doing the exact opposite. I'm going to see how well I can utilize tweenery this time around.

Also, I'll probably change the title, as to not complicate things ;)

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 13:55:27 Reply

At 5/19/12 01:44 PM, Hikarian wrote: Is anyone else here doing somewhat fbf?

I'll be doing mostly fbf. I've got my work cut out for me this round. It's gon be tough

BBS Signature
CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 14:31:13 Reply

At 5/19/12 01:44 PM, Hikarian wrote:

FBF, all day Erryday!
Also my titles pretty similar too haha, "The Elephant in the Room" Creative eh? :p

PSN ID: CatFatNG Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 14:53:02 Reply

At 5/19/12 02:31 PM, CatFat wrote:
At 5/19/12 01:44 PM, Hikarian wrote:
FBF, all day Erryday!
Also my titles pretty similar too haha, "The Elephant in the Room" Creative eh? :p

Is my title the only one without the "Elephant" in it? ... Well i've got "Little Trunk" for starters - i may change it - we will see

Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 15:30:08 Reply

At 5/19/12 02:53 PM, DuDuL wrote: Is my title the only one without the "Elephant" in it? ... Well i've got "Little Trunk" for starters - i may change it - we will see

Beast Bash

Coming soon.

BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 15:40:02 Reply

At 5/19/12 03:30 PM, BobyB64 wrote:
At 5/19/12 02:53 PM, DuDuL wrote: Is my title the only one without the "Elephant" in it? ... Well i've got "Little Trunk" for starters - i may change it - we will see
Beast Bash

Coming soon.

Our elephants shall fight to death!! :D

Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 15:47:37 Reply

At 5/19/12 03:40 PM, DuDuL wrote: Our elephants shall fight to death!! :D

Haha I'm excited to see what you have planned for this.

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 15:53:22 Reply

i was asking myself something ... ahm ... one of my ideas was about a topic that people really dont care about or dont pay attention to anymore but that is out there, does that fit the theme also ? we dont use that metaphore for anything in my country o.o

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 16:08:49 Reply

At 5/19/12 03:53 PM, francisyfl wrote: i was asking myself something ... ahm ... one of my ideas was about a topic that people really dont care about or dont pay attention to anymore but that is out there, does that fit the theme also ? we dont use that metaphore for anything in my country o.o

While I can't give a definitive answer, the theme is created to inspire, not restrict. In fact, It's only in place so you can't submit something you'd made prior to the round. On the other hand, however, judges award ponts for creative use of the theme (this falls under 'originality'), so if you're going to stretch the theme, make sure the implementation of the theme is recognizable.

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 16:19:43 Reply

At 5/19/12 04:08 PM, Emrox wrote:
At 5/19/12 03:53 PM, francisyfl wrote: i was asking myself something ... ahm ... one of my ideas was about a topic that people really dont care about or dont pay attention to anymore but that is out there, does that fit the theme also ? we dont use that metaphore for anything in my country o.o
While I can't give a definitive answer, the theme is created to inspire, not restrict. In fact, It's only in place so you can't submit something you'd made prior to the round. On the other hand, however, judges award ponts for creative use of the theme (this falls under 'originality'), so if you're going to stretch the theme, make sure the implementation of the theme is recognizable.

yeah, thats the problem, i dont wanna make it too metaphorical that nobody understands it but me, and i dont want to put the whole meaning in the description.

Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 16:21:10 Reply

I'm making backgrounds this time...

DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 16:33:19 Reply

Today i'm taking a break from NATA to practice FBF on my Avengers project ;D
I'm pretty proud of this so far - What do you guys think ? Yes that's Jesus
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/127836623737b399992e51de 24d6c0f3

I'll try my best to release this Avengers soon after novice round

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 17:01:11 Reply

At 5/19/12 04:33 PM, DuDuL wrote: Today i'm taking a break from NATA to practice FBF on my Avengers project ;D
I'm pretty proud of this so far - What do you guys think ? Yes that's Jesus
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/127836623737b399992e51de 24d6c0f3

I'll try my best to release this Avengers soon after novice round

Looks cool : D

JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 17:44:33 Reply

At 5/19/12 02:53 PM, DuDuL wrote:
Is my title the only one without the "Elephant" in it? ... Well i've got "Little Trunk" for starters - i may change it - we will see

Mine likely won't have anything to do with actual elephants, so likely not. Though I haven't actually thought of a title as of yet.

I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature
Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 18:42:51 Reply

At 5/19/12 11:49 AM, Emrox wrote: For this one I'm stepping a bit out of my comfort zone. Actually, more than just a bit. I'm taking on a noticeably different art style, using 35 FPS (11 more than ever before), writing outside of humor for the second time in years, and on top of that, I haven't drawn an animal in a cartoon since December 2010. In fact, if I submitted it under a different name, you'd probably never know it was me.

I'm really excited to see how your turns out. I've always wanted to try out a high frame rate.
I decided to go with 20 FPS compared to my normal 24 or 30 FPS. LazyMode's entry last round really inspired me to try out better backgrounds with a frame by frame with less frames. I'm going for more of a Bill Plympton style of character animation. My main goal is to get a narrative (with a pinch of abstraction) across in 60 seconds with a high quality of visuals and lighting techniques.

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 19:13:59 Reply

At 5/19/12 06:42 PM, BPremo wrote: I decided to go with 20 FPS compared to my normal 24 or 30 FPS. LazyMode's entry last round really inspired me to try out better backgrounds with a frame by frame with less frames. I'm going for more of a Bill Plympton style of character animation. My main goal is to get a narrative (with a pinch of abstraction) across in 60 seconds with a high quality of visuals and lighting techniques.

Hmm! Now that's a great strategy - a lot less in terms of frames to animate so you can put lots of effort into the quality/polish of the finished product. Now I wish I had done the same :D

BBS Signature
NATA
NATA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 19:57:14 Reply

Thor, Clod of Blunders occasionally drops by to offer helpful feedback and critiques for NATA contestants. In fact, we consider him the official NATA Critic.

He has written up this article, "Knowing Your ABCs" especially for NATA contestants who made it in!

Read it Here! --> http://munchymedia.com/nataguide/323/

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! 2012-05-19 20:53:06 Reply

At 5/19/12 07:57 PM, NATA wrote:
Read it Here! --> http://munchymedia.com/nataguide/323/

That's really helpful! Thanks for posting it.

BBS Signature