CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 11:50 AM Reply

At 5/14/12 03:22 PM, Catoblepas wrote:
C'mon francisyfl, Don't let these people make you give up. CatFat's bound to start something way too ambitious for the time frame and get drunk again. Animate a big "fuck you" to all the H8rs.

not that I wouldn't start something too complicated and get drunk again.

Ah Catoblepas, you know me too well :p
Anyway, I think I've finally decided on an idea, I'm going the literal route, so yeah I'm gonna have an elephant..in a room. It just seems more dynamic to me, all the metaphorical ideas that I came up with felt to static and samey and forced me to have dialogue.
I'm going to try and start animating next week, I'll try and finish up my open round entry for the portal first, otherwise I feel I'll never get around to it..

Has anyone else definitely decided to go for a literal "Elephant in the room"? Just curious.. :)

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 03:23 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 11:50 AM, CatFat wrote: Has anyone else definitely decided to go for a literal "Elephant in the room"? Just curious.. :)

I was trying going to go with just the expression, but I've decided to do a little but of both. More literal than idiomatic though.

BBS Signature
BananasFoster
BananasFoster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 11:50 AM, CatFat wrote:
Has anyone else definitely decided to go for a literal "Elephant in the room"? Just curious.. :)

I really have no idea what I'm doing yet. I've got a few ideas but ultimately will probably just choose what I feel I could get done in the end. Good luck with yours, though!

Boop boop beep boop.

BBS Signature
DuDuL
DuDuL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 05:28 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 11:50 AM, CatFat wrote:

Yeah... :D

Also...
YOU CAN ALL GIVE UP NOW...I DRANK THE COMPETITION AWAY... I CANNOT BE DEFEATED!! /hehe

- N A T A - Novice Round!

McBinkles
McBinkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 05:41 PM Reply

he won't rest until he drinks all of newgrounds

poops

BBS Signature
Lankie
Lankie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 06:44 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 05:28 PM, DuDuL wrote: YOU CAN ALL GIVE UP NOW...I DRANK THE COMPETITION AWAY... I CANNOT BE DEFEATED!! /hehe

The sweet taste of NATA victory is ORANGE FLAVOURED!

Certainly fits with the Newgrounds colour scheme to say the least. :D

Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

oops i deleted my computer

BBS Signature
jagondudo
jagondudo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:14 PM Reply

:At 5/16/12 11:50 AM, CatFat wrote:

going this route too, without the idiom it opens up the theme to more possibilites me thinks. Tho I'm still on the fence about comedy and dialogue

sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:26 PM Reply

At 5/14/12 12:00 AM, sandwich-eater wrote: Sadly, I cannot go with a literal approach, because it's too obvious/cheesy. I'm sure some people will do that anyway.

Come to think of it, a literal approach is not a bad idea. Right now I'm in the middle of a script that mixes the two.

But if I do, I can look at this post and laugh.

Hahaha

BBS Signature
Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:38 PM Reply

I'm mixing the literal and the idiom as well. I hope we're all not making the same cartoon lol.

Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 10:39 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 08:56 PM, Emrox wrote: oops i deleted my computer

what happened?

sandwich-eater
sandwich-eater
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Programmer
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 16th, 2012 @ 11:00 PM Reply

At 5/16/12 10:38 PM, BPremo wrote: I'm mixing the literal and the idiom as well. I hope we're all not making the same cartoon lol.

At least we'll all get nothing for originality.

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 06:23 AM Reply

At 5/16/12 11:00 PM, sandwich-eater wrote: At least we'll all get nothing for originality.

Same here :3

BBS Signature
Catoblepas
Catoblepas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 07:46 AM Reply

C'mon guys! In the last round I was watching the same "guy finds a remote control/diamond/sword and teleports somewhere" -flash over and over again. Am I going to be watching the same "people are awkward because there's an actual elephant in the same room with them" -flick this time?

BBS Signature
ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 08:21 AM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:46 AM, Catoblepas wrote:

:Am I going to be watching the same "people are awkward because there's an actual elephant in the same room with them" -flick this time?

Yes. Or no. Or.. Mayb- I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE

neeko
neeko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 10:37 AM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:46 AM, Catoblepas wrote: C'mon guys! In the last round I was watching the same "guy finds a remote control/diamond/sword and teleports somewhere" -flash over and over again. Am I going to be watching the same "people are awkward because there's an actual elephant in the same room with them" -flick this time?

What's an elephant? Is that like a taco?

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 10:42 AM Reply

At 5/17/12 07:46 AM, Catoblepas wrote: C'mon guys! In the last round I was watching the same "guy finds a remote control/diamond/sword and teleports somewhere" -flash over and over again. Am I going to be watching the same "people are awkward because there's an actual elephant in the same room with them" -flick this time?

fail ... :D

Brewster
Brewster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 04:10 PM Reply

Mine's not going to be like this. Maybe a little, but the majority of it won't be.

BBS Signature
Fungasm
Fungasm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 05:21 PM Reply

Decided to change what I'm doing to something a bit more.. fun. But that also means more work for me if I want to finish on time with the quality I want. I honestly have no idea how Zeurel made a 7 minute cartoon in the year he won. I need that type of productivity skillsssss~

...Also turning off STEAM for the next few weeks. /single tear.

LazyModeComics
LazyModeComics
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM Reply

At 5/17/12 05:21 PM, Fungasm wrote: Decided to change what I'm doing to something a bit more.. fun. But that also means more work for me if I want to finish on time with the quality I want. I honestly have no idea how Zeurel made a 7 minute cartoon in the year he won. I need that type of productivity skillsssss~

...Also turning off STEAM for the next few weeks. /single tear.

I'm lucky if I can pop out over a minute. I don't have any time anymore. i haven't even started yet. /single tear

-Jake

BBS Signature
ExtremeFudgeMaster
ExtremeFudgeMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 17th, 2012 @ 11:51 PM Reply

Got the storyboard and two backgrounds done so far. I'm trying a somewhat simpler style for backgrounds this time, because I have quite a few more to make. I'm planning to include a lot more actual animation this time, seeing as my last entry was more of just a slide show.

Since the competition started, I've been obsessing over always trying to work on my animations whenever I have an opportunity to, especially after seeing how talented the competition is. Today I tried spending a while working on my next entry, but I didn't really want to because it seemed like such a chore. I took some time off and thought about why I'm in the competition, then realized that I should be enjoying making these animations, rather than obsessing over always working on them. I've started trying to not worry about how much is left to do, and to just enjoy whatever part I might be working on at the moment. It's become much more enjoyable so far. Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

neeko
neeko
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 5/17/12 11:51 PM, ExtremeFudgeMaster wrote: Got the storyboard and two backgrounds done so far. I'm trying a somewhat simpler style for backgrounds this time, because I have quite a few more to make. I'm planning to include a lot more actual animation this time, seeing as my last entry was more of just a slide show.

Since the competition started, I've been obsessing over always trying to work on my animations whenever I have an opportunity to, especially after seeing how talented the competition is. Today I tried spending a while working on my next entry, but I didn't really want to because it seemed like such a chore. I took some time off and thought about why I'm in the competition, then realized that I should be enjoying making these animations, rather than obsessing over always working on them. I've started trying to not worry about how much is left to do, and to just enjoy whatever part I might be working on at the moment. It's become much more enjoyable so far. Has anyone else experienced something similar to this?

I have. When you start laying out the entire animation and breaking up the sets into scenes, the problem with working on a time limit is that you really cant gauge how much time you need per area. Some are just back grounds with slight animation, others take longer for more detailed work. So some of it begins to feel like a chore when you want to get a section done and move on to the next.

I find when it begins to feel like a chore, but you dont want to stop time wise, just do another part of the animation. Draw in a background or color another area and then come back to the part that felt like a chore. This way you're not completely taking a break, but allows your brain to concentrate on something else.

However actually getting up and doing something else to clear your head also helps.

JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 11:52 AM Reply

At 5/14/12 07:59 PM, JoHobo2 wrote: All my uni exams are between the 28th of may and the 6th of june. I'm really gonna do my best to get something done for this round but I'm quite behind on revision as it is and I really need to do well in these.

Noo! You have to finish yours! I can't just win by default, that wouldn't be fair to you.

I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 12:23 PM Reply

yay :D my tablet broke : DDDDDDDDDD looks like everything is against me in this round xDDDD ill have to borrow one now ._.

CatFat
CatFat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 19
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 04:14 PM Reply

At 5/18/12 12:23 PM, francisyfl wrote: yay :D my tablet broke : DDDDDDDDDD looks like everything is against me in this round xDDDD ill have to borrow one now ._.

Holy shit man, I think you jinxed me.
I read your post and then plugged in my tablet and it wasn't working! The blue light was on but the pen wasn't registering, then I noticed the eraser was. Now, an hour and some google searches later, I've managed to fix it.
I think when I accidentally knocked the pen off my table last night I probably damaged it then. I'm surprised, I dropped it so many times on much harder surfaces over the years I was beginning to think it was indestructible...haha
I had to take it apart and push the coil thing on the pen side tighter together, there was a TINY gap in it and now, after prodding it a bit, it seems to work again.

Is that what your problem is or is it the tablet itself?
If the tab;et itse;f isn't working, the light won't turn on or something, then you've probably yanked the usb or something at some point. That happened to me once too haha a few weeks ago actually, I tripped on the usb lead and when I plugged it in it wasn't turning on so I just pushed the cable on the tablet side in a bit and it worked again :p
Anyway, I hope you can still compete!

PSN ID: CatFatNG
Xbox Gamertag: CatFatNG

BBS Signature
francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 05:11 PM Reply

Holy shit man, I think you jinxed me.
I read your post and then plugged in my tablet and it wasn't working! The blue light was on but the pen wasn't registering, then I noticed the eraser was. Now, an hour and some google searches later, I've managed to fix it.
I think when I accidentally knocked the pen off my table last night I probably damaged it then. I'm surprised, I dropped it so many times on much harder surfaces over the years I was beginning to think it was indestructible...haha
I had to take it apart and push the coil thing on the pen side tighter together, there was a TINY gap in it and now, after prodding it a bit, it seems to work again.

Is that what your problem is or is it the tablet itself?
If the tab;et itse;f isn't working, the light won't turn on or something, then you've probably yanked the usb or something at some point. That happened to me once too haha a few weeks ago actually, I tripped on the usb lead and when I plugged it in it wasn't turning on so I just pushed the cable on the tablet side in a bit and it worked again :p
Anyway, I hope you can still compete!

well ... i have a cat ... and i let the tablet plugged during the night in the usb port, almost every morning i find mi cat biting the cord xD so im pretty sure its the chord, not the tablet, but meh, i dont have to time to look at it, next week ill be filming a project with a friend so i wont have time :( , bad luck for me, maybe it will be like in the open round, i had to animate in 3 days xD

Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 07:22 PM Reply

CatFat has been disguised as your cat and is fucking up your shit...

francisyfl
francisyfl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Art Lover
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 08:17 PM Reply

At 5/18/12 07:22 PM, BPremo wrote: CatFat has been disguised as your cat and is fucking up your shit...

Thats what im thinking, its a conspiracy, i know whats going on. My cat better learns to animate before june 7th.

Bill-Premo
Bill-Premo
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 18th, 2012 @ 09:54 PM Reply

I haven't had a diet this bad in years. Thanks NATA I'll gladly gain weight for you.

JerrodStorm
JerrodStorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Animator
Response to - N A T A - Novice Round! May. 19th, 2012 @ 08:56 AM Reply

At 5/18/12 09:54 PM, BPremo wrote: I haven't had a diet this bad in years. Thanks NATA I'll gladly gain weight for you.

I have the opposite problem...

I'm a Mormon. :D

BBS Signature