Be a Supporter!

Broken Communication

  • 641 Views
  • 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:10:09 Reply

What do the fellow Newgrounders have to say about broken communication? What do you think about the feeling of hopelessness when you are unable to get a point across?

Jester
Jester
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:14:11 Reply

I never feel this feeling because I don't speak with 85% figurative language.

Naw i'm just pulling your chain, but I can honestly say I never have trouble getting my point across.

Strength
Strength
  • Member since: Jun. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:24:52 Reply

At 5/13/12 12:10 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote: What do the fellow Newgrounders have to say about broken communication? What do you think about the feeling of hopelessness when you are unable to get a point across?

it can be frustrating, but i find that more often than not, if i see a person is having trouble understanding my point of view, it's because i have failed to fully understand their point of view.

so uh. yeah.


ok

BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:25:35 Reply

At 5/13/12 12:14 PM, DirtyMeatball wrote: I never feel this feeling because I don't speak with 85% figurative language.

Naw i'm just pulling your chain, but I can honestly say I never have trouble getting my point across.

You are right. I should attempt to use less figurative language or find a better assessment of figurative colloquiality. If I wish to make more break throughs than I originally have.

That is good. : )

ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:28:00 Reply

At 5/13/12 12:24 PM, Strength wrote:
At 5/13/12 12:10 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote: What do the fellow Newgrounders have to say about broken communication? What do you think about the feeling of hopelessness when you are unable to get a point across?
it can be frustrating, but i find that more often than not, if i see a person is having trouble understanding my point of view, it's because i have failed to fully understand their point of view.

so uh. yeah.

Indeed. It is vastly frustrating for me, personally. I continue to strive for that day where I can communicate fluently though. I feel like I've gotten much better since my beginning days. : ) I honestly do not think my miscommunication has anything to do with a depriving of their POv, but rather my abstract way of using words to express the imagery inside my head rather than using the socially attained definition of said words.

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:33:49 Reply

At 5/13/12 12:28 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:
Indeed. It is vastly frustrating for me, personally. I continue to strive for that day where I can communicate fluently though. I feel like I've gotten much better since my beginning days. : ) I honestly do not think my miscommunication has anything to do with a depriving of their POv, but rather my abstract way of using words to express the imagery inside my head rather than using the socially attained definition of said words.

Have you considered taking a composition at a local college?

one class shouldn't be too costly, and it will greatly help your abilities to communicate, as well as organize your thoughts.


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:35:26 Reply

At 5/13/12 12:33 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
a composition

* A composition course


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 12:41:31 Reply

At 5/13/12 12:33 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:

one class shouldn't be too costly, and it will greatly help your abilities to communicate, as well as organize your thoughts.

It isn't that, actually. I have a very abstract philosophy and POV for the entire world. It is really hard to share something like that in a world where people take things with face-value and black and white perspectives.

I have others who understand me clearly. I never have to clarify myself to them. They understand me perfectly fine. : )

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:01:53 Reply

At 5/13/12 12:41 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:
It isn't that, actually. I have a very abstract philosophy and POV for the entire world. It is really hard to share something like that in a world where people take things with face-value and black and white perspectives.

that's pretty arrogant to say. you are blaming your audience for faults as a speaker.

As a communicator it is your job to get your point across, no matter how "complex" it is. If you can't communicate your thesis, it is the of your own lack of communicative intelligence, not the audience.

also, it doesn't matter how "abstract" you may call your philosophy, it is still mortal and subject to logic and review.


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:09:27 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:01 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 5/13/12 12:41 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:
It isn't that, actually. I have a very abstract philosophy and POV for the entire world. It is really hard to share something like that in a world where people take things with face-value and black and white perspectives.
that's pretty arrogant to say. you are blaming your audience for faults as a speaker.

Only with how you took it. : ( Didn't mean to sound arrogant.

As a communicator it is your job to get your point across, no matter how "complex" it is. If you can't communicate your thesis, it is the of your own lack of communicative intelligence, not the audience.

I disagree. Communicating with some people is like communicating with a child. Does that make me arrogant? That is your choice. Does not disregard the fact that this is true. It isn't always the speaker's fault either. I have every right to improve my communication while saying that others aren't able to grasp my abstract philosophy due to a world that didn't teach them how to manifest the abstract imagery of their minds. So... Sorry if that makes me sound arrogant, but at the least I do not go out there calling everyone stupid and acting like I am smarter than everyone. Go ahead and throw that term around all you may want. You are only going back on your practice of clear communication, by accusing me of being arrogant without assessing what I said with closer speculation.

also, it doesn't matter how "abstract" you may call your philosophy, it is still mortal and subject to logic and review.

I feel as though you are taking this personally, you only say what you did because I offended you personally and made you feel like I think I am better than you all, when I never said this nor implied it. You took it the wrong way which is the antithesis of your rpactice, my friend. My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic. : )

ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:18:08 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:12 PM, ScaryPicnic wrote:

After all, you can have a more sound argument, but be completely bulldozed by someone who can formulate better sentences.

I can not follow this. Having a 'sound' argument > rich articulation

ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:27:11 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:21 PM, ScaryPicnic wrote:

Somebody may have a more logical stance, but if they can't articulate it effectively, and people don't understand what they're saying, then it isn't going to persuade many.

Then yes, I can agree with this.

But... Can we argue if the colloquility is really effective after all and the ignorance of others are just super-effective?

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Melancholy
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:27:44 Reply

I think that I should use harsher measures to achieve the notice of the other person until he does understand my point.


(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
Autolatry
Autolatry
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:29:19 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:18 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote: I can not follow this. Having a 'sound' argument > rich articulation

Class is everything.

ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:29:29 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:27 PM, satanbrain wrote: I think that I should use harsher measures to achieve the notice of the other person until he does understand my point.

Establishing a point through fear and/or manipulation of another is not communicating. : )

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:38:35 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:09 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:

I disagree. Communicating with some people is like communicating with a child. Does that make me arrogant?

Of course some people will never agree with you, and some people can be bigoted, but you can't generalize everyone like that. In as a speaker you must define your audience and gear your speech and words to them.

:That is your choice. Does not disregard the fact that this is true. It isn't always the speaker's fault either.

I never said it wasn't. you are confusing a speaker with a talker. a speaker has a target audience, a purpose, and directs his words and speech to a target like an archer does an arrow, a talker just talks to a general mass of people. This is why I recommended a composition class, it also teaches you what a speaker is, and how to define your audience, and purpose.

I have every right to improve my communication while saying that others aren't able to grasp my abstract philosophy due to a world that didn't teach them how to manifest the abstract imagery of their minds. So... Sorry if that makes me sound arrogant,

It only makes you arrogant when you solely blame the audience. If you can accept that you as a speaker could just be wrong and foolish, and if you can accept the possibility that your ideas are crap, then you aren't arrogant.

but at the least I do not go out there calling everyone stupid and acting like I am smarter than everyone. Go ahead and throw that term around all you may want. You are only going back on your practice of clear communication, by accusing me of being arrogant without assessing what I said with closer speculation.

I wasn't calling you arrogant, just your idea. I don't know you outside of some internet account/alt. I also never intended to make you think I'm personally attacking you.

I personally find those types of personal attacks childish.


I feel as though you are taking this personally,

I'm not taking this personally, frankly I don't care what you think. I only want to get my point in.

you only say what you did because I offended you personally and made you feel like I think I am better than you all,

I'm never really offended, I'm just calling out absurdities I see in your philosophy.

My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic. : )

Logic isn't like that.

John Venn defined Logic as (And I'm paraphrasing, too lazy to get get the book and find the page) the language which communicates, and connects external facts and data with human understanding.

Logic is a language, like programming.

saying "My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic." would be like saying Your C++ is different from my C++.

Although what one can make with this language, and how well one can use it varies greatly, the language is one in the same, and it exist independently.


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:50:42 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:38 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 5/13/12 01:09 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:

I disagree. Communicating with some people is like communicating with a child. Does that make me arrogant?
Of course some people will never agree with you, and some people can be bigoted, but you can't generalize everyone like that. In as a speaker you must define your audience and gear your speech and words to them.

I find your will to cater to the misinformed mass scary, to be honest. It isn't my fault in regard to communicating my philosophy, and I can greatly assure this. I am a philosophical garden when people are able to understand my garden and not troll or destroy it because they don't 'understand' it and only pretend they do to validate what they do not understand.

That is your choice. Does not disregard the fact that this is true. It isn't always the speaker's fault either.
I never said it wasn't. you are confusing a speaker with a talker. a speaker has a target audience, a purpose, and directs his words and speech to a target like an archer does an arrow, a talker just talks to a general mass of people. This is why I recommended a composition class, it also teaches you what a speaker is, and how to define your audience, and purpose.

You seem to be one of those restruant people who utter those annoying words that the customer knows best. My god, if I feel the need to speak my mind against the mass, I will. And frankly - right now - I have the right to use civility to promote the outright fact that people simply have difficulty understanding my philosophy. : )

I have every right to improve my communication while saying that others aren't able to grasp my abstract philosophy due to a world that didn't teach them how to manifest the abstract imagery of their minds. So... Sorry if that makes me sound arrogant,
It only makes you arrogant when you solely blame the audience. If you can accept that you as a speaker could just be wrong and foolish, and if you can accept the possibility that your ideas are crap, then you aren't arrogant.

Trust me. I didn't just say ''audience's fault!'' I always diligently pieced together my conjectures before I deploy them into a refutation.

but at the least I do not go out there calling everyone stupid and acting like I am smarter than everyone. Go ahead and throw that term around all you may want. You are only going back on your practice of clear communication, by accusing me of being arrogant without assessing what I said with closer speculation.
I wasn't calling you arrogant, just your idea. I don't know you outside of some internet account/alt. I also never intended to make you think I'm personally attacking you.

I see, you still are pushing an accusation with a black and white POV. Why not get to know me before implicating personal defence?

I personally find those types of personal attacks childish.


I feel as though you are taking this personally,
I'm not taking this personally, frankly I don't care what you think. I only want to get my point in.

Seemed like you did the way you go off about respecting the audience when you accused my idea of being arrogant when you clearly show that you do not understand me that well, but that doesn't mean we can't try, right? : )

you only say what you did because I offended you personally and made you feel like I think I am better than you all,
I'm never really offended, I'm just calling out absurdities I see in your philosophy.

Absurdities in my ideas /=/ my philosophies I have not told you my philosophy - how could you possible pick at my ideologies?

My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic. : )
Logic isn't like that.

Logic is a false distinction. Ever heard of a fish bowl perspective? It is when you are only brought up to see the boundaries of your own society. When we could be raised in an entirely different society and only think that is our one and only society.

John Venn defined Logic as (And I'm paraphrasing, too lazy to get get the book and find the page) the language which communicates, and connects external facts and data with human understanding.

Logic is a language, like programming.

Mhmm... Like programming? Then people have viruses that eat away at their codes. : )

saying "My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic." would be like saying Your C++ is different from my C++.

Exactly. I found a fundamental language that makes more sense than the brittle communicate language we use today.

Although what one can make with this language, and how well one can use it varies greatly, the language is one in the same, and it exist independently.

It doens't exist. Words are like blueprints to the mind - no more - no less.

PuRpLe-KusH
PuRpLe-KusH
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:54:02 Reply

I hate when people ask me questions IRL and they word it in a way that is difficult for me to answer on the spot. Happens every now and then, mostly at school


BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 13:55:53 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:54 PM, PuRpLe-KusH wrote: I hate when people ask me questions IRL and they word it in a way that is difficult for me to answer on the spot. Happens every now and then, mostly at school

Like this? - do u denk dat du thing dat u luk up 2 iz rely rel?

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 14:22:35 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:50 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:
At 5/13/12 01:38 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
I find your will to cater to the misinformed mass scary, to be honest. It isn't my fault in regard to communicating my philosophy, and I can greatly assure this. I am a philosophical garden when people are able to understand my garden and not troll or destroy it because they don't 'understand' it and only pretend they do to validate what they do not understand.

Read this again and think of why people call you arrogant. You are assuming you can't be at fault as a speaker, this makes you pretty arrogant. Also, as I said, and as you ignored, a speaker has a narrowly defined audience, he never speaks without setting his sights.

That is your choice. Does not disregard the fact that this is true. It isn't always the speaker's fault either.
I never said it wasn't. you are confusing a speaker with a talker. a speaker has a target audience, a purpose, and directs his words and speech to a target like an archer does an arrow, a talker just talks to a general mass of people. This is why I recommended a composition class, it also teaches you what a speaker is, and how to define your audience, and purpose.
You seem to be one of those restruant people who utter those annoying words that the customer knows best. My god, if I feel the need to speak my mind against the mass, I will. And frankly - right now - I have the right to use civility to promote the outright fact that people simply have difficulty understanding my philosophy. :

How good is a marks men who just aims at a general direction and sprays bullets? Being a writer/speaker is like being a marksmen, you must direct your words to a specific, and narrowly defined target. if you do otherwise, you will always accomplish nothing.

Tell me, you have employed this spraying technique in this forum before, how effective has it been? And don't blame us, that's all you.

I'm not saying people in general are always great. People can be idiot, but my point is that they CAN be idiots just as much as I can be an idiot. this is why I am never really offended, I accept the fact that a can be horrible wrong and I look forward to a reasonable critique.

I have every right to improve my communication while saying that others aren't able to grasp my abstract philosophy due to a world that didn't teach them how to manifest the abstract imagery of their minds. So... Sorry if that makes me sound arrogant,
It only makes you arrogant when you solely blame the audience. If you can accept that you as a speaker could just be wrong and foolish, and if you can accept the possibility that your ideas are crap, then you aren't arrogant.
Trust me. I didn't just say ''audience's fault!''

It certainly sounds like you are.


I'm never really offended, I'm just calling out absurdities I see in your philosophy.
Absurdities in my ideas /=/ my philosophies I have not told you my philosophy - how could you possible pick at my ideologies?

Philosophy deals in ideas and I am attacking your ideas.

My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic. : )
Logic isn't like that.
Logic is a false distinction. Ever heard of a fish bowl perspective? It is when you are only brought up to see the boundaries of your own society. When we could be raised in an entirely different society and only think that is our one and only society.

that has nothing to do with logic. the limits of human experience and logic are two different subjects, although you can look at one in context of another, they are still two different things.

John Venn defined Logic as (And I'm paraphrasing, too lazy to get get the book and find the page) the language which communicates, and connects external facts and data with human understanding.

Logic is a language, like programming.
Mhmm... Like programming? Then people have viruses that eat away at their codes. : )

but even viruses have their base in a coding/language.

saying "My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic." would be like saying Your C++ is different from my C++.
Exactly. I found a fundamental language that makes more sense than the brittle communicate language we use today.

no you didn't, as I stated before an opinion =/= logic. Logic is a universal language, all human understanding is based in logic.

For example, that "new language" you "learned"? you learn it though it through logic.

you form your opinions through logic. It's like all chemicals and electricity to the brain and nervous system.


It doens't exist. Words are like blueprints to the mind - no more - no less.

you used the pronoun "it" without specifying which of the multiple nouns you were referring to. this is another reason I recommended a composition course.


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 14:36:42 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:22 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 5/13/12 01:50 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:
At 5/13/12 01:38 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
I find your will to cater to the misinformed mass scary, to be honest. It isn't my fault in regard to communicating my philosophy, and I can greatly assure this. I am a philosophical garden when people are able to understand my garden and not troll or destroy it because they don't 'understand' it and only pretend they do to validate what they do not understand.
Read this again and think of why people call you arrogant. You are assuming you can't be at fault as a speaker, this makes you pretty arrogant. Also, as I said, and as you ignored, a speaker has a narrowly defined audience, he never speaks without setting his sights.

I have no reason to not assume right now. : ) This isn't associated with everything. I admit to my mistakes when they are my mistakes. I don't like your analogies for setting common grounds.

That is your choice. Does not disregard the fact that this is true. It isn't always the speaker's fault either.
I never said it wasn't. you are confusing a speaker with a talker. a speaker has a target audience, a purpose, and directs his words and speech to a target like an archer does an arrow, a talker just talks to a general mass of people. This is why I recommended a composition class, it also teaches you what a speaker is, and how to define your audience, and purpose.
You seem to be one of those restruant people who utter those annoying words that the customer knows best. My god, if I feel the need to speak my mind against the mass, I will. And frankly - right now - I have the right to use civility to promote the outright fact that people simply have difficulty understanding my philosophy. :
How good is a marks men who just aims at a general direction and sprays bullets? Being a writer/speaker is like being a marksmen, you must direct your words to a specific, and narrowly defined target. if you do otherwise, you will always accomplish nothing.

Simple, anyone who gets hit by your 'marksman' skills directly can be in denial still. It doesn't matter how hard you reinforce your ideology and relegate that thing they call an 'argument'. Anyone can hide inside their ignorant heads and go ''LALALALALALALALALA'' you can't do anything about it.

Tell me, you have employed this spraying technique in this forum before, how effective has it been? And don't blame us, that's all you.

Let me see, you and others - who do not understand me - see my wisdom as spraying in arbitrary directions, while I - and those who understand me - see that I am busting out headshots left and right. People are just able to deny it with a simple *insert denial here*.

I'm not saying people in general are always great. People can be idiot, but my point is that they CAN be idiots just as much as I can be an idiot. this is why I am never really offended, I accept the fact that a can be horrible wrong and I look forward to a reasonable critique.

Right now, people aren't idiots. They are misinformed. : ) They aren't able to grasp my ideology because their current logic conflicts with my logic.

I have every right to improve my communication while saying that others aren't able to grasp my abstract philosophy due to a world that didn't teach them how to manifest the abstract imagery of their minds. So... Sorry if that makes me sound arrogant,
It only makes you arrogant when you solely blame the audience. If you can accept that you as a speaker could just be wrong and foolish, and if you can accept the possibility that your ideas are crap, then you aren't arrogant.
Trust me. I didn't just say ''audience's fault!''
It certainly sounds like you are.

Then you are certainly wrong. : (

I'm never really offended, I'm just calling out absurdities I see in your philosophy.
Absurdities in my ideas /=/ my philosophies I have not told you my philosophy - how could you possible pick at my ideologies?
Philosophy deals in ideas and I am attacking your ideas.

Attacking my ideas with what? Accusations? Second-guessing? you know what is worst than spray shots? Blanks. : )

My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic. : )
Logic isn't like that.
Logic is a false distinction. Ever heard of a fish bowl perspective? It is when you are only brought up to see the boundaries of your own society. When we could be raised in an entirely different society and only think that is our one and only society.
that has nothing to do with logic. the limits of human experience and logic are two different subjects, although you can look at one in context of another, they are still two different things.

Yes, logic is the spine of our intellect and analytical assessments followed by our speculative observations. Like for an example, this is Science - ''Look at me! I can add a label to nature's already pre-existen functions that worked before we even existed!''

John Venn defined Logic as (And I'm paraphrasing, too lazy to get get the book and find the page) the language which communicates, and connects external facts and data with human understanding.

Logic is a language, like programming.
Mhmm... Like programming? Then people have viruses that eat away at their codes. : )
but even viruses have their base in a coding/language.

Do you really want a virus eating away at your natural codex?

saying "My logic is not exactly the same as today's society's logic." would be like saying Your C++ is different from my C++.
Exactly. I found a fundamental language that makes more sense than the brittle communicate language we use today.
no you didn't, as I stated before an opinion =/= logic. Logic is a universal language, all human understanding is based in logic.

Logic was built on a facaded system that was bias. I'm telling you that everything is a facade from square 1. You mustn't insist that it is factual when all of these mappings of our world are inside our heads only.

For example, that "new language" you "learned"? you learn it though it through logic.

My own logic that isn't the same as your universal logic. Why else is common sense never the same common sense for another?

you form your opinions through logic. It's like all chemicals and electricity to the brain and nervous system.

I really do not take that Science and Biology with more than a grain of salt - there is far more to it than that black and white conformity of interest.

It doens't exist. Words are like blueprints to the mind - no more - no less.
you used the pronoun "it" without specifying which of the multiple nouns you were referring to. this is another reason I recommended a composition course.

I also said ''Words are like blueprints''. What does that mean? 'It' = language. What else could it have possibly meant? Did you even try process elimination? : )

PuRpLe-KusH
PuRpLe-KusH
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 14:41:26 Reply

At 5/13/12 01:55 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:
At 5/13/12 01:54 PM, PuRpLe-KusH wrote: I hate when people ask me questions IRL and they word it in a way that is difficult for me to answer on the spot. Happens every now and then, mostly at school
Like this? - do u denk dat du thing dat u luk up 2 iz rely rel?

No lol, actually recently one of my professors ask the class a question, I answered it; people agreed with me, then she asked a question about the answer I gave; but she structured the sentence in a way that was way over my head that required extensive thinking that I didn't feel like getting into on the spot


BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 14:44:03 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:41 PM, PuRpLe-KusH wrote:

No lol, actually recently one of my professors ask the class a question, I answered it; people agreed with me, then she asked a question about the answer I gave; but she structured the sentence in a way that was way over my head that required extensive thinking that I didn't feel like getting into on the spot

What was the question?

Autolatry
Autolatry
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 14:52:38 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:36 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote: I have no reason to not assume right now. : ) This isn't associated with everything. I admit to my mistakes when they are my mistakes. I don't like your analogies for setting common grounds.

Confidence is different from arrogance. When you insult your audience, you're only implying that somehow they're dumb.

Simple, anyone who gets hit by your 'marksman' skills directly can be in denial still. It doesn't matter how hard you reinforce your ideology and relegate that thing they call an 'argument'. Anyone can hide inside their ignorant heads and go ''LALALALALALALALALA'' you can't do anything about it.

Fine. Let's change this. Shoot to kill. If your targets do not drop dead, your argument remains weak.

Let me see, you and others - who do not understand me - see my wisdom as spraying in arbitrary directions, while I - and those who understand me - see that I am busting out headshots left and right. People are just able to deny it with a simple *insert denial here*.

He [Anchorite] is correct. How effective have your methods been? Even you cannot deny that your efforts have been all but fruitless. What you've said so far sounds something along the lines of this: "People are misinformed and refuse to listen to me and when they go into denial there's nothing I can do about it except drill the same thoughts into their head over and over again."

Attacking my ideas with what? Accusations? Second-guessing? you know what is worst than spray shots? Blanks. : )

I see no wrong in attacking blanks with blanks.

Yes, logic is the spine of our intellect and analytical assessments followed by our speculative observations. Like for an example, this is Science - ''Look at me! I can add a label to nature's already pre-existen functions that worked before we even existed!''

So ditch academia? And sir, that is not logic.

Logic was built on a facaded system that was bias. I'm telling you that everything is a facade from square 1. You mustn't insist that it is factual when all of these mappings of our world are inside our heads only.

So now you're superior to nature?

My own logic that isn't the same as your universal logic. Why else is common sense never the same common sense for another?

Common sense=/=logic. Not all the time.

you form your opinions through logic. It's like all chemicals and electricity to the brain and nervous system.
I really do not take that Science and Biology with more than a grain of salt - there is far more to it than that black and white conformity of interest.
I also said ''Words are like blueprints''. What does that mean? 'It' = language. What else could it have possibly meant? Did you even try process elimination? : )

He was not referring to that. You've consistently used a subjectless 'it' throughout your posts.

PuRpLe-KusH
PuRpLe-KusH
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 14:56:16 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:44 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote:
At 5/13/12 02:41 PM, PuRpLe-KusH wrote:
What was the question?

I don't exactly recall it word for word, but it had something to do with relationships and attraction of opposite sexes.

I usually record class session just for events such as these, but i broke my recorded a while back.


BBS Signature
ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 15:04:20 Reply

At 5/13/12 02:52 PM, Autolatry wrote:
At 5/13/12 02:36 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote: I have no reason to not assume right now. : ) This isn't associated with everything. I admit to my mistakes when they are my mistakes. I don't like your analogies for setting common grounds.
Confidence is different from arrogance. When you insult your audience, you're only implying that somehow they're dumb.

What if I'm passionate and do not pretend that my audience isn't ill-informed? Then what?

Simple, anyone who gets hit by your 'marksman' skills directly can be in denial still. It doesn't matter how hard you reinforce your ideology and relegate that thing they call an 'argument'. Anyone can hide inside their ignorant heads and go ''LALALALALALALALALA'' you can't do anything about it.
Fine. Let's change this. Shoot to kill. If your targets do not drop dead, your argument remains weak.

This argument is null, because ideas can not be any more than an influence. : ) Is it weird how you are trying to tell me how to communicate and I'm over here dismantling you?

Let me see, you and others - who do not understand me - see my wisdom as spraying in arbitrary directions, while I - and those who understand me - see that I am busting out headshots left and right. People are just able to deny it with a simple *insert denial here*.
He [Anchorite] is correct. How effective have your methods been? Even you cannot deny that your efforts have been all but fruitless. What you've said so far sounds something along the lines of this: "People are misinformed and refuse to listen to me and when they go into denial there's nothing I can do about it except drill the same thoughts into their head over and over again."

All but fruitless? That is a very bold lie. It kind is like that though. I have philosophy > they don't understand philosophy > I attempt to share philosophy > I hand them my writings > they blow their nose with it > I explain to them that it was wrong and they should try to understand it > they say that it is pointless and bullshit because they do not understand it and they have not a single conjecture to back up their ruthless attitudes towards my philosophy because of their own inability to grasp it. : )

Attacking my ideas with what? Accusations? Second-guessing? you know what is worst than spray shots? Blanks. : )
I see no wrong in attacking blanks with blanks.
Yes, logic is the spine of our intellect and analytical assessments followed by our speculative observations. Like for an example, this is Science - ''Look at me! I can add a label to nature's already pre-existen functions that worked before we even existed!''
So ditch academia? And sir, that is not logic.

My point simply is - Science is simply built on a fictitious mapping system. Without logic, how would any one problem sovle, assess or observe the reality's workings? Logic is the spine of it.

Logic was built on a facaded system that was bias. I'm telling you that everything is a facade from square 1. You mustn't insist that it is factual when all of these mappings of our world are inside our heads only.
So now you're superior to nature?

No. I'm only saying that we are overtly complicating everything with our pseudo-intellect.

My own logic that isn't the same as your universal logic. Why else is common sense never the same common sense for another?
Common sense=/=logic. Not all the time.

The ability to reason and assess one's intellect to observe and speculate the world is no different than common sense weeding out all of the excess. Common sense and logic are like the gear of any car. : )

you form your opinions through logic. It's like all chemicals and electricity to the brain and nervous system.
I really do not take that Science and Biology with more than a grain of salt - there is far more to it than that black and white conformity of interest.
I also said ''Words are like blueprints''. What does that mean? 'It' = language. What else could it have possibly meant? Did you even try process elimination? : )
He was not referring to that. You've consistently used a subjectless 'it' throughout your posts.

I think he was. He quoted it and did not state that it was throughout my posts - and even then - I always do write in relation to those 'its'.

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Audiophile
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 15:26:08 Reply

COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Autolatry
Autolatry
  • Member since: Apr. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 18:08:48 Reply

At 5/13/12 03:04 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote: What if I'm passionate and do not pretend that my audience isn't ill-informed? Then what?

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm taking about putting on full caps, calling people dumb, and other things of the sort. I understand that you're passionate about this, but frankly, rather than calling people ignorant over and over again, you need to take a much more subtle and tolerant approach. Patience.

This argument is null, because ideas can not be any more than an influence. : ) Is it weird how you are trying to tell me how to communicate and I'm over here dismantling you?

If you can't get your point across, it isn't necessarily your idea that is weak. It is the methods that you apply. However, a personal victory does not involve others. Though you may think you've gotten your point across, the people you are speaking to don't get it. Yet you choose to move on believing you've succeeded. Furthermore, at times you insist that you've dismantled others and beaten them.
And out of curiosity, what do you mean by dismantle? I think the word is a bit strong.

All but fruitless? That is a very bold lie. It kind is like that though....

That's what I meant.

My point simply is - Science is simply built on a fictitious mapping system. Without logic, how would any one problem sovle, assess or observe the reality's workings? Logic is the spine of it.

I wouldn't use the word fictitious. I would say conceptual.

No. I'm only saying that we are overtly complicating everything with our pseudo-intellect.

Okay. I agree. Now, quite complicating things with your pseudo-intellect and tell us what you want to say.

The ability to reason and assess one's intellect to observe and speculate the world is no different than common sense weeding out all of the excess. Common sense and logic are like the gear of any car. : )

Alright, thanks for clarifying that. You were confusing before.

I think he was. He quoted it and did not state that it was throughout my posts - and even then - I always do write in relation to those 'its'.

You can speak with him about that.

EnnuiEngram
EnnuiEngram
  • Member since: May. 13, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Animator
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 19:03:11 Reply

You could learn Lojban, but then you'd only be able to talk to the kind of people who learn Lojban.


I'm not spending more time on this than I have to.

ILoveToGrok
ILoveToGrok
  • Member since: Apr. 28, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Broken Communication 2012-05-13 19:07:39 Reply

At 5/13/12 06:08 PM, Autolatry wrote:
At 5/13/12 03:04 PM, ILoveToGrok wrote: What if I'm passionate and do not pretend that my audience isn't ill-informed? Then what?
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm taking about putting on full caps, calling people dumb, and other things of the sort. I understand that you're passionate about this, but frankly, rather than calling people ignorant over and over again, you need to take a much more subtle and tolerant approach. Patience.

Did you really think that I was actually serious when I made that one rant thread that got 1.3k views in 6 hours - No. I was ranting, alot. I needed to rant, and someone woke me up from my ire. I thank him for that. It is kind of hard to do that because I personally want people to challenge me. I don't get offended when people call me a troll and all that, I get offended when they call me it without any argument what so ever. It really is ignorance and denial at the end of day, and I do not think you understand that I am dealing with the very roots of mankind's errors, this isn't some small idea I have - so I do not understand why you expect me to reach out to people with a philosophy that had been ignored and passed off as bullshit to this point.

This argument is null, because ideas can not be any more than an influence. : ) Is it weird how you are trying to tell me how to communicate and I'm over here dismantling you?
If you can't get your point across, it isn't necessarily your idea that is weak. It is the methods that you apply. However, a personal victory does not involve others. Though you may think you've gotten your point across, the people you are speaking to don't get it. Yet you choose to move on believing you've succeeded. Furthermore, at times you insist that you've dismantled others and beaten them.

It definately isn't my idea, nor is it even my method. I see things on a much different spectrum than the majority do, so you must expect alot of cheek turners. Like I said, my philosophy is a simple reflection of life itself, and not many people are going to take that seriously because most people are already inflating their lives with facades, aspiritions, dreams, experiences they wish to fulfill. While I have no need for any that, for life defines itself. I let life see for me. My physical eyes are only experiencing life - not defining it. Others seem to not understand this simple POV.

And out of curiosity, what do you mean by dismantle? I think the word is a bit strong.

Pull apart your argument. I didn't mean to sound condescending. I was only nudging it.

All but fruitless? That is a very bold lie. It kind is like that though....
That's what I meant.

I'm sure. You have good intentions, my friend.

My point simply is - Science is simply built on a fictitious mapping system. Without logic, how would any one problem sovle, assess or observe the reality's workings? Logic is the spine of it.
I wouldn't use the word fictitious. I would say conceptual.

Conceptual system that is a manifestation of false advocations?

No. I'm only saying that we are overtly complicating everything with our pseudo-intellect.
Okay. I agree. Now, quite complicating things with your pseudo-intellect and tell us what you want to say.

I was not saying I was the pseudo-intellect... I don't even use the word intellect. I am strickly intuitive - nothing more - nothing less.

The ability to reason and assess one's intellect to observe and speculate the world is no different than common sense weeding out all of the excess. Common sense and logic are like the gear of any car. : )
Alright, thanks for clarifying that. You were confusing before.

See? I have communicative prowess.

I think he was. He quoted it and did not state that it was throughout my posts - and even then - I always do write in relation to those 'its'.
You can speak with him about that.

I look forward to. You both are only trying to help. : )